Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy video does nothing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecalmsea View Post
I don't know anything about the situation, obviously, but I always wondered what her family thought of the drugs. I can't imagine working for my sibling and just watching him/her spiral. (I don't know if Chris just "watched," it just kind of seems that way from an outsider's perspective).
I think Chris had his own issues.

Michele
Old 02-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Gypsy video does nothing for me.

I think Chris had his own issues.

Michele
That makes sense.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Other Side of the Mirror and Street Angel should of never been released. They hurt her reputation a lot.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I think Somebody Stand By Me is one of her greatest
I just puked on my keyboard.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I just puked on my keyboard.
me too, GROSSSSSSSSSS, with a vocal from hell, she sounded like the demon from the Exorcist.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Like most on here, I'll start by saying I love Stevie to pieces, there was a time I would get an adrenaline rush every time one of her songs came on. My best memory is running as a young boy and would you stay if she promised you heaven going through my head, then I got my mom to buy me the album once I figured out who this great voice belonged to. Here's some of my strongly held opinions:

- It's like there are two Stevies, the beautiful voice captured in time on BN, White, and Rumours and those early tours, which vanished by the time Tusk was recorded. Then a whole new Stevie emerged and it was like we were listening to a new artist. The new voice seemed then to strengthen and grow to a peak on the Wild Heart.
- By the mid 80's Stevie had pretty much destroyed her voice and unleashed a silly almost self parody album in Rock a Little and went on a lengthy tour just to make sure she ripped every last vocal chord.
- Her voice returned in the early 90's and sounded wonderful again by Street Angel. This made Street Angel her best sounding record since '83.
- She desperately needs to cut her hair to at least shoulder length, it's way too long for her height and looks awful.
- Stevie looks terrible in black clothes.
- The wardrobe too looks definitely now like "she's going to a halloween party". Why doesn't she wear cream, red and blue, she looks stunning in those colours.
- Listening to her drug survival stories is getting old...we get it.
- Stevie should stop touring, her voice can't handle live performances any more.
- Stevie wrote some of her best material for Say You Will and In Your Dreams.
- Stevie should never again talk about her relationship with Lindsey, or write one more song about him...how many people still talk about ex's they broke up with 35 years ago...who cares, get on with the music.

Last edited by On Ice; 02-23-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

ok, here goes...

1. Stevie sucks at doing cover versions
2. Her early 70's voice is annoying and squeeky - her late 70's/early 80's voice was her peak
3. I massively prefer "Trouble In Shangri-La" to "In Your Dreams"
4. I love "That Made Me Stronger" and would love to see her do it live
5. I don't like "Long Distance Winner" at all
6. Her "Mirage" songs are better than her "Rumours" songs
7. "Street Angel" was a hell of a lot better than "Other Side Of the Mirror"
8. I don't like her duets - Don Henley and Sandy Stewart need to SHUT UP
9. I would quite happily never hear "Landslide" again
10. Stevie is far more interested in making money than about her die hard fans who have followed her all these years. She doesn't care - she wants to cash in on EVERYTHING. If there is money to be made, she'll do it. Hence the constant tours, reissues of "Rumours", same setlist of "hits" over and over again, same stories over and over again. Mick is just the same.
11. God knows I love the woman, but there are NO rewards for being a Stevie Nicks fan. She ignores half her solo career in her live sets, only ever tours the same cities in the US and occasionally Australia (what about the rest of your fans, Stevie? Europe? Japan?), hardly ever releases anything new (1 and a half albums in 10 years? THAT SUCKS!) and her official website might as well not exist it's so out of date, badly laid out and full of incorrect information.

Last edited by TheWILDheart; 02-23-2013 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
ok, here goes...

1. Stevie sucks at doing cover versions
2. Her early 70's voice is annoying and squeeky - her late 70's/early 80's voice was her peak
3. I massively prefer "Trouble In Shangri-La" to "In Your Dreams"
4. I love "That Made Me Stronger" and would love to see her do it live
5. I don't like "Long Distance Winner" at all
6. Her "Mirage" songs are better than her "Rumours" songs
7. "Street Angel" was a hell of a lot better than "Other Side Of the Mirror"
8. I don't like her duets - Don Henley and Sandy Stewart need to SHUT UP
9. I would quite happily never hear "Landslide" again
10. Stevie is far more interested in making money than about her die hard fans who have followed her all these years. She doesn't care - she wants to cash in on EVERYTHING. If there is money to be made, she'll do it. Hence the constant tours, reissues of "Rumours", same setlist of "hits" over and over again, same stories over and over again. Mick is just the same.
11. God knows I love the woman, but there are NO rewards for being a Stevie Nicks fan. She ignores half her solo career in her live sets, only ever tours the same cities in the US and occasionally Australia (what about the rest of your fans, Stevie? Europe? Japan?), hardly ever releases anything new (1 and a half albums in 10 years? THAT SUCKS!) and her official website might as well not exist it's so out of date, badly laid out and full of incorrect information.

Gotta agree with these.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She needs to stop with the Mac.....you can tell....at least everytime i've seen a clip or performance.....She does NOT want to be there. Why do something you're clearly not into.

Unless it's money..which it probably is.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
She needs to stop with the Mac.....you can tell....at least everytime i've seen a clip or performance.....She does NOT want to be there. Why do something you're clearly not into.

Unless it's money..which it probably is.

Mick
Fleetwood Mac tour = $$$$$$$$$$

I'll tell you now, Stevie is NOT sitting at home in Phoenix thinking "oh wow, I'm really looking forward to getting out on the road and performing and doing what I love and making lots of people happy". She's thinking "KA-CHING!! I can rehash some songs and fake some love for Lindsey, thousands of gullible casual fans will lap it up and scream when we play "Landslide" and pretend we're still in love and I will make a **** LOAD of money for it!!"

Stevie once said "I'm not an actress". Yes she bloody is. Every night on stage with Lindsey she's doing it.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Fleetwood Mac tour = $$$$$$$$$$

I'll tell you now, Stevie is NOT sitting at home in Phoenix thinking "oh wow, I'm really looking forward to getting out on the road and performing and doing what I love and making lots of people happy". She's thinking "KA-CHING!! I can rehash some songs and fake some love for Lindsey, thousands of gullible casual fans will lap it up and scream when we play "Landslide" and pretend we're still in love and I will make a **** LOAD of money for it!!"

Stevie once said "I'm not an actress". Yes she bloody is. Every night on stage with Lindsey she's doing it.
I agree....she's acting every minute on stage and in interviews rehashing stories we've heard uh...FOREVER, Lol. I wish she still cared about The mac. But when Christine left she clearly couldn't care less

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefox4000 View Post
I agree....she's acting every minute on stage and in interviews rehashing stories we've heard uh...FOREVER, Lol. I wish she still cared about The mac. But when Christine left she clearly couldn't care less

Mick
Yup.

I think she's only in it to cash in, hence why she's been so reluctant to do a full album with them. She's not interested in the music anymore, which is REALLY sad as I strongly believe she once was. If you watch Destiny Rules where the record label execs have come to hear the demos and she's saying "I prayed to the commercial gods!!", it really upsets me, because once upon a time, Stevie Nicks did not care what was commercial. She WAS commercial, without trying to be so, because she was creating something that she loved and was proud of and that meant something to her, which in turn meant so much to the rest of the world.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It didn't used to be that unpopular of an opinion around here, but I regard Rock a Little as a minor masterpiece.

Also, her version of "I Still Miss Someone" is brilliant, and one of the best things on TOSOTM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Junior Ledgie

This is a really interesting thread... and I wonder if I'm being far too premature in trying to join in because I've only reaaaally been able to call myself a proper actual seek out information fan for about 4 weeks, but there are a few things I suppose I've thought about in that time, as there's so much to go on with such a lengthy career. I have no idea if these are unpopular/controversial whatever, but here goes!

I find anything solo post-Bella Donna really hard to like (up until Trouble in Shangri-La, which I like a lot). Scary 80's, very scary. She barely even looks like the same person sometimes.

Her vocals on Buckingham Nicks are probably my favourites apart from That's Alright which I can listen to over and over and never get bored of (so far ) and for some reason I just go all tingly when I hear her backing on Honey Hi (I love that song a bit too much, dunno why - is that normal? hah).

I love her style around Rumours - Tusk including the crazy bun/top knot thing. I'm pretty fascinated with her generally around this era.

I've found In Your Dreams really hard to get into, and her take on Annabel Lee is not nearly as nice as the Sarah Jarosz version, IMO.

I'm really bored of the Lindsey story already.

I think she lives in total Stevieland but (from what I have gathered by trawling through as many interviews as I can in 4 weeks) seems polite, warm, gracious, generous and grateful.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Every Day is one of the better songs on TISL.
I love the Tusk Bun.
When I See You Again isn't a dreadful song. Or the worst one on Tango.
I don't understand the outpouring of love for Love Is, it's not one of her better ballads.
Her cover of Free Fallin' is better than the original.
Stevie should have left Fleetwood Mac after Mirage.

Last edited by Artemis; 02-23-2013 at 12:18 PM..