The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do you like Stevieís new single, Show Them the Way?
Yes 35 55.56%
No 18 28.57%
Not sure 2 3.17%
I like the music but not the lyrics. 8 12.70%
I like the lyrics but not the music. 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #76  
Old 10-24-2020, 09:31 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,929
Default

Did Show Them The Way not chart on the Hot 100?

I'm surprised because I thought people would've found out about her solo career from the Dreams resurge, but maybe instead of researching her they moved toward Fleetwood Mac instead.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 10-24-2020, 09:47 AM
Jondalar's Avatar
Jondalar Jondalar is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,479
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Did Show Them The Way not chart on the Hot 100?

I'm surprised because I thought people would've found out about her solo career from the Dreams resurge, but maybe instead of researching her they moved toward Fleetwood Mac instead.
No airplay. No charting.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 10-24-2020, 09:52 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,929
Default

She's on CBS tomorrow for a new interview. Maybe she's got some new music announcement?
https://www.facebook.com/CBSSundayMo...86059695809821

Also chameleon is not a great way to describe Gaga and Madonna, not very feminist.

It's evolution and reinvention. Sometimes she's stuck in the past too much!
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 10-24-2020, 10:35 AM
tothegypsy tothegypsy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 265
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post

Also chameleon is not a great way to describe Gaga and Madonna, not very feminist.

It's evolution and reinvention. Sometimes she's stuck in the past too much!

I didn't take it that way. There are pop stars who have the talent of being able to look like completely different people from one music video to the next, and she just always looks like Stevie.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:08 PM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothegypsy View Post
I didn't take it that way. There are pop stars who have the talent of being able to look like completely different people from one music video to the next, and she just always looks like Stevie.
I don't see how Gaga in Chromatica looks completely different than Joanne era other than a costume, including colorful hair.

I saw it as rivalry. You said talent, kudos to you! She didn't.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 10-24-2020, 12:22 PM
soul_drifter333's Avatar
soul_drifter333 soul_drifter333 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Did Show Them The Way not chart on the Hot 100?

I'm surprised because I thought people would've found out about her solo career from the Dreams resurge, but maybe instead of researching her they moved toward Fleetwood Mac instead.
Big difference between the classic Dreams and Show Them The Way. What makes Dreams so great is it a total band collaboration. Every band member adds their special talents to make Dreams great. Much like Gypsy.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 10-24-2020, 04:16 PM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Did Show Them The Way not chart on the Hot 100?

I'm surprised because I thought people would've found out about her solo career from the Dreams resurge, but maybe instead of researching her they moved toward Fleetwood Mac instead.
You know how people are. They not only moved to Fleetwood Mac but they moved to Rumours. Just Rumours. That will probably be as retro cool as they want to go. They wonít look at the rest of the catalog. Very few will explore. And they donít want new stuff from these old people, not even if itís good. Ricky Nelsonís garden party.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 10-25-2020, 06:13 AM
johnnystorms's Avatar
johnnystorms johnnystorms is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: new orleans
Posts: 740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
She's on CBS tomorrow for a new interview. Maybe she's got some new music announcement?
https://www.facebook.com/CBSSundayMo...86059695809821

Also chameleon is not a great way to describe Gaga and Madonna, not very feminist.

It's evolution and reinvention. Sometimes she's stuck in the past too much!
Why even say that?? Madonna has been described in the press for decades as a 'chameleon'. It's neither feminist nor anti feminist. It means changing appearance, which Madonna was famous for.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 10-25-2020, 07:31 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
Why even say that?? Madonna has been described in the press for decades as a 'chameleon'. It's neither feminist nor anti feminist. It means changing appearance, which Madonna was famous for.
"Why even say that?" Because it's what I got from the clip. Her tone, her expression also augmented that for me.

If the press says it, doesn't mean it's respectful. The press also said Madonna was too old to do things. I don't agree with that. Chameleon doesn't sound like a respectful or term of endearment. That's why I said reinvent and evolve.

Also, you don't have to be angry because of that. The world won't end because people have critiques of Stevie. You don't have to aggressively respond with your nightstick swinging, Officer.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 10-25-2020, 08:56 AM
On Ice On Ice is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 462
Default

Yesterday afternoon I removed all distractions and playing the tune on my Sonos Max. Today, I'm reflecting what is memorable about the song- a sign of a good song that can resonate and be memorable. I've concluded that my first impression stands on the production- it's really good and the music while it may be trendy in terms of production, holds my attention. The voice- I think even with diminished range, Stevie can still sing when she wants to and at the beginning, and the end, she does just that. But the problem with the song as many have said, is that the stream of consciousness lyrical style doesn't work when your goal is to send a message. The song desperately needs to be around 3:30 with a powerful bridge to link the great beginning and the stellar end of the track. If she could not come up with a new bridge then mine the vault for the many buried in there.

Despite the song's strengths it fails on the lyrics, especially the cringe worthy jump into the dress and the benefits in the Hamptons- that should not have seen the light of day.

So, what I've concluded is that I'll put the song on, leave the room for about 3 minutes and come back in the hear the great ending.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 AM
bwboy bwboy is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,632
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
"Why even say that?" Because it's what I got from the clip. Her tone, her expression also augmented that for me.

Also, you don't have to be angry because of that. The world won't end because people have critiques of Stevie. You don't have to aggressively respond with your nightstick swinging, Officer.
I read and re-read Johnnystorm's post a couple of times and detected no anger at all. I mean, what in his post made you respond with imagery of nightsticks swinging? And you say his post was aggressive?

Just to be clear, I'm not angry as I write this. Confused, maybe, but definitely not angry or aggressive.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-25-2020, 11:24 AM
UnwindedDreams UnwindedDreams is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,929
Default

^ The asking of - Why even say that - with two question marks to accentuate the question

The member could've said "I disagree with that." or "What made you believe that?"

The reply was intimidating.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-26-2020, 01:53 AM
michelej1 michelej1 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: California
Posts: 25,447
Default

I take chameleon as a compliment.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-26-2020, 02:51 PM
SortaSavageLike's Avatar
SortaSavageLike SortaSavageLike is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dark in my flaming staircase, being totally unfamiliar with the artist or her music
Posts: 2,444
Default

I'm more of a fan of the original version by Peter Frampton myself.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-26-2020, 04:31 PM
David's Avatar
David David is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: California
Posts: 13,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I take chameleon as a compliment.
I always did, too: https://youtu.be/zanuDA5cuDc?t=196
__________________

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
$200.0
FLEETWOOD MAC AUTOGRAPHED/SIGNED JOHN McVIE 8X10; CHRISTINE & LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM pictureJOHN MCVIE AUTOGRAPH *FLEETWOOD MAC* HAND SIGNED 10X8 PHOTO
$133.44
JOHN MCVIE AUTOGRAPH *FLEETWOOD MAC* HAND SIGNED 10X8 PHOTO picturec1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER
$99.99
c1977 RUMOURS ERA FLEETWOOD MAC PROOF SHEET JOHN MCVIE & CURRY GRANT MID FINGER pictureDENNIS WILSON of BEACH BOYS Photo CANDID Rare w/ JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac
$39.95
DENNIS WILSON of BEACH BOYS Photo CANDID Rare w/ JOHN McVIE Fleetwood Mac pictureFLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE
$29.0
FLEETWOOD MAC 24X36 POSTER STEVIE NICKS MICK LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM JOHN MCVIE picture



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved