Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default dutch release day GOS

Just popped in to express my feelings on GOS.

I played it all morning and it is amazing. Especially the coherence of the album is striking. I think UTS is perfection as an album, not a collection of songs, this one has the same quality, although I KNOW that they are not written in one timeslot. Lindsey's been saying that he didn't know where this album was going to, but since he brought in his touringband, it was going into a rockdirection. Well it did, but he only used Wally Reyes on two songs! DYMM and LRD! The rest is absent. He's done it all alone again except Mick and John on GOS and Wait For You, and Mick and John Pierce (bass) on RPTF. The rest is all Lindsey himself. Kudo's to the best rythmtrack he ever did himself, on Great Day, which is a friggin' awesome opener. It's a complex rythm against layered melodies in the chorus, it's open yet full, and still it swings and rocks like hell. And it has that staccato screaming solo that I expected from the clip. What a start. TPT is just a mindblowingly beautiful mantra, the guitarflourishes sound warmer than on UTS, and the meaning of this poem creeps under your skin. DYMM grew on me, and I'm glad that the bass in the song comes out alot better on CD. So he played bass himself again. Did You Miss Fritz? Wait For You has such a great ooomph. You're a monster John.
Like I hoped, LRD is Lindsey's own attempt to create a Wall Of Sound and it's wonderful. So glad he used strumming this time as a tool for upbeat joy and rockfeel, instead of transparent sunny layering. (UTS, Juniper). This is an instant radiohit, potentially. I love it.
BEl AIR RAIN!!! Well, what can I say. The acoustic Big Love meets Play In The Rain. What a great great track! My fave of the album and I just love the way he transfered the big big PITR-fairlight orchestra into an acoustic guitar-and vocaltrack. What an ending of a fantastic song!!!!
Right Place to Fade is still a goddamn FM-hit ! And I still wish GOS was a single. That fxcked-up voicepunksong would be the perfect attentiongrabber on radio these days, AND attract alternative-musiclovers. I still think he should have his own place in that "genre". This song fits in there! (so does this album by the way).

Underground is fabulous. I love the melody, the sweetness and the lyric. Burn Warner Brothers and Go Underground dude!
Treason, the closer, has slightly too much moralism in the lyric to my taste but it's a vulnerable and gutsy way to close the album with a "tiny bit over the top"-tearjerker. It'll grow on me like Walk a Thin Line did 29 years ago.
I was a fan then, I was a fan during the Vacuum-period, and I'm even a bigger fan now. These two albums in three years will mark an incredible boost in my fandom as well will they be received as Tusk-quality. In ten years.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I totally agree the music is amazing. Actually, I like the whole thing. DON'T FALL OVER

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 09-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review Gerald!
Old 09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, what a stunning piece this is. I can't stop listening to it.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't care for the album, but I thought Gerald's writeup was brilliant.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^

I agree. I'd like to see more posts by him and the gang.

Since you have it too, what is your perspective danax6?
Old 09-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I don't care for the album, but I thought Gerald's writeup was brilliant.
The album is not like his FM stuff, which I prefer. But, I think for the quirkier side of him, it is great.

Ditto for Gerald's write up

Old 09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I'm awaiting...

this release, I'm sure I will enjoy it (GOS is only one of the few new releases I'm waiting to hear - Heard/own the new Metallica album, and the production/mixing KILLED a very good album).

Glad to see ya back Dutchman Gerald

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 09-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Just popped in to express my feelings on GOS.
Great expression of feeling Gerald!!... Just makes this wait all the more painful!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's an awesome review. I especially found it interesting that you mentioned Bel Air Rain as your favorite song on the album. I find it endearing that Lindsey has the ability to reach fans through different facets of his creativity. Some are more preferable to the poppy highly-produced, others to the stark, and still others to the quirky side of him. And yet many of us can still come together and watch him rock the f&% out at his shows and pretty much enjoy every second. How amazing is that?

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Registered

One word: Limewire!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
The album is not like his FM stuff, which I prefer. But, I think for the quirkier side of him, it is great.
I think it's cool that you enjoy this Buckingham work, strand! You tend to more steviefied, wouldn't you say?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the compliments Folks! Although the grammar's rubbish!

Strand:
Red Rover, Say Goodbye, Come, Murrow, My Little Demon and basicly all his contributions for Tango were meant to be solostuff. How can you prefer his work for FM over solo? It's bull. It's all Lindsey Solo. (with some occasional bleating within the FMbland). And on this album there's DYMM, LRD, RPTF, Underground and Treason. How Mac can you get? (even without the occasional bleating)......

Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post

Glad to see ya back Dutchman Gerald
Hey Brian!

I'm very unhappy on this board, but just trying to reaquaint during this LB-feast. I'll be attending 4 shows in the NY-circle this october....

Old 09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Thanks for the compliments Folks! Although the grammar's rubbish!

Strand:
Red Rover, Say Goodbye, Come, Murrow, My Little Demon and basicly all his contributions for Tango were meant to be solostuff. How can you prefer his work for FM over solo? It's bull. It's all Lindsey Solo. (with some occasional bleating within the FMbland). And on this album there's DYMM, LRD, RPTF, Underground and Treason. How Mac can you get? (even without the occasional bleating)......
I meant the Rumours stuff. I also like the polish FM puts on things, esp. CM's stamp.

Note - I am not complaining about the new record. I am just noting the difference in sound.