User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
If Rumours was released in 2006, Lindsey would have served time in jail for attacking the paparazzi by now, considering his penchant for violent/aggressive outbursts to counter challenges/frustrations. That's a no-brainer.
If Rumours was released in 2006 LB wouldn't have to worry about being hounded by paparazzi for as great and timeless as that album is it would be lucky to even reach platinum status by then ..In fact no album in years has done anything close to Rumours wild 31 week run at the top or 19 million + sales. The age of that kind of album seems to be gone...sadly.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:57 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
If Rumours was released in 2006 LB wouldn't have to worry about being hounded by paparazzi for as great and timeless as that album is it would be lucky to even reach platinum status by then ..
I thought it was implied that when I said that, I meant a 2006 equivalent- not an exact facsimile of everything that happened in 1977-78.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
I thought it was implied that when I said that, I meant a 2006 equivalent- not an exact facsimile of everything that happened in 1977-78.
Yeah I guess I just wanted to vent about how out of touch I feel with the music industry these days and how the age of the album seems to be coming to a close.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LngPrmsdRd View Post
^^^
Whoa...really? I never knew his wife had MS. I loved the man before, but that just gives me a whole new respect for him as well. My grandmother died before I was born of MS. I've heard how it was to care for her...he deserves as much credit as I can possibly give him. Wow.

As for LB being in jail, wasn't it him who said at some point in some article, that if he wasn't a musician he'd be a criminal??? LOL. I can't recall for sure, and I have no idea the source, but he was asked what he'd be doing nowadays (I believe it was Dance-era) if not for his musical success...?? (Meanwhile, I could be way off and it could be some other band. But I do believe it was Mr Liddy Buck!) I'd say above all, it's probably referring to his temper. I can't see LB reacting kindly to the type of hounding famous people get these days. I'm sure there was hounding back then, too, as others have said...but it couldn't possibly be on this level. Everybody has a camera on their phone, and everybody can post that scandalous-if-out-of-context photo or video on YouTube, and then TMZ or Perez Hilton can get a hold of it, and suddenly it's news everywhere...meanwhile it was some schmoe who took a picture when the person was sneezing, so they look all crazy and drunk at 1pm. LOL. And that's to say nothing of the paparazzi.
Steven Tyler said that he would be in jail if not for being a rock star. "I went from ex-con to icon."
Old 09-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
If Rumours was released in 2006 LB wouldn't have to worry about being hounded by paparazzi for as great and timeless as that album is it would be lucky to even reach platinum status by then ..In fact no album in years has done anything close to Rumours wild 31 week run at the top or 19 million + sales. The age of that kind of album seems to be gone...sadly.
Although, in this day and age, you don't have to do anything noteworthy for the paparazzi to hound you and decide that you are a "star." Michele
Old 09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LngPrmsdRd View Post
As for LB being in jail, wasn't it him who said at some point in some article, that if he wasn't a musician he'd be a criminal??? LOL. I can't recall for sure, and I have no idea the source, but he was asked what he'd be doing nowadays (I believe it was Dance-era) if not for his musical success...?? (Meanwhile, I could be way off and it could be some other band. But I do believe it was Mr Liddy Buck!)
That was Lindsey alright (although others have said it, too). He was asked what he'd do if it weren't for music, and he said he'd probably be in jail. I forget exactly when he said it too, although I think it was more recent than The Dance. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title. At the time, I thought it was an exaggeration. Lindsey's exploits seemed pretty tame compared to some other 70s icons, and by the 80s he'd pretty much cleaned up his act.

But if the paparazzi had been anything like it is nowadays back in the 70s, we'd have tons of photos of Stevie with her celebrity dates! How many old photos are there of her and Henley from the good old days readily available? You can count them on one hand. There is only one photo of her with Joe Walsh from back in the day that I'm aware of currently circulating. Back to Lindsey... if things had been as bad as the past, we'd have a lot more stories about the drunken New Zealand debacle of 1980, and probably hear about a few more drunken episodes as well. Yep, they should be very, very glad there was no TMZ back then. Of course, now, the paparazzi have no desire to hound them, lol.

I believe Henley was prosecuted for his "corruption of a minor" and drug possession in the early 80s, so it's not as if he got away with it back then... unless the argument is that nowadays, there would be more pressure to give him a harsher punishment. But that's certainly not a given. Let's just say I don't think too many politicians would have wanted Henley's name tied with theirs in 1981 after the "incident," whereas now he does benefits for 'em all the time! My, how things change.

If he does indeed use drugs still - I certainly don't know what he does in private - that doesn't seem to fit the opinion that stars get rougher treatment today... if so, wouldn't he be in jail now as well based on current activities? Wouldn't there be photos of him staggering around high, according to Dulli's theory? I'd like to believe he's clean now, so I'll continue to do so until that happens. Luke, I know your job puts you in a nice position to hear such things, but perhaps your info is out of date.

Old 09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
That was Lindsey alright (although others have said it, too). He was asked what he'd do if it weren't for music, and he said he'd probably be in jail. I forget exactly when he said it too, although I think it was more recent than The Dance. It was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread title.
Woohoo, I'm not crazy! You know what, now that you mention it I think it was more recent too. That's the exact question/answer I was talking about. It was also the first thing I thought of when I saw the title as well, lol!

Also this, from the Penguin bio of Lindsey: "To make ends meet, Stevie waitressed and cleaned houses while Lindsey "hustled ads over the phone for a non-existent business products directory," and also toured with Don Everly's back-up band, singing Phil's parts." Go fraudulant business transactions!

Follow me "on tour" this fall! www.ladylucky49.wordpress.com. Bloggin' the Seeds We Sow tour, from the view of a traveling fan.

http://baublesandbeadles.etsy.com ~*~Handmade Beaded Jewelry And Accessories

~~~The hurt that you feel makes you strong... Lindsey Buckingham~~~

Dancin' Across The USA: Lindsey Tour '06-'07
Ten shows. Ten thousand miles. My favorite song in the setlist. Hugs, kisses, and handshakes. Heaven.

Last edited by LngPrmsdRd; 09-10-2008 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: located the second quote