The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:58 AM

All right everyone.. you've all had your fun.. or un fun...

We have opinions about the state of the band....

Settle down... as my mom would say...

we had 3 boys in our family..
Old 05-04-2018, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
All right everyone.. you've all had your fun.. or un fun...

We have opinions about the state of the band....

Settle down... as my mom would say...

we had 3 boys in our family..
At last, the voice of reason......where’ve you been..?
Old 05-04-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
At last, the voice of reason......where’ve you been..?
Haha!! moi??? the voice of reason...

I like that!! I haven't had a compliment here lately.. I get a lot of insults and complaints...

Comes with the territory.. I can't wait to come back to Great Britian.. just three more weeks!!
Old 05-04-2018, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

hmmm.... I think what the band did is sh&tty.....and let's see, that must make me:
Pathetic
Hateful
A Trump voter (which is f&cking hilarious)
a loser with nothing else going on in my life...
A Lindsey fanatic...

Have I missed any of the names that have been thrown around on here by Stevie diehards, who are all upset because they have been called
Children of Stevie
Chiffonheads

If you throw sh&t, it shouldn't be a surprise if some of it splashes back on your shoes.

I have been a Stevie fan forever, but I'm a bigger fan of the Five.

I, like everyone else on here, have a nice, full life outside this forum. Since most people in my life aren't as big a FM-head as I am, I , like most others on here, come here because it is specifically a forum dedicated to talking about....wait for it.... FLEETWOOD MAC!

So people come on here to talk about....wait for it....FLEETWOOD MAC!

Since the biggest thing going on with the band right now is the fact that they fired Lindsey and hired two new people, guess what people are going to talk about.....

Some people think this is the biggest mistake they've ever made, some people think it's a great new chapter, and plenty of others fall somewhere in-between.
This will possibly cause some friction. If you don't like what you are reading, there are plenty of other threads on this site. I do not understand the need to constantly come into a forum where you know you disagree with the majority of comments others are posting, and then complain you disagree with what others are posting.

If you don't like being called names or stereotyped, then BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD and don't turn around and do the same danged thing.

Some folks on here could care less if they get called names and as a result will continue to stir the pot and throw little hand grenades into the mix.

But you can't come into a band forum and gripe that everyone's talking about the band

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-04-2018 at 01:16 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
If you don't like being called names or stereotyped, then BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE WORLD and don't turn around and do the same danged thing.

Some folks on here could care less if they get called names and as a result will continue to stir the pot and throw little hand grenades into the mix.
Great post! I just wanted to respond to one thing in particular- wouldn't it be awesome if, for one day, everyone could agree to post without name calling? Seems unlikely, but it CAN be done. It makes discussions here so much more reasonable, don't you think?

When someone says Lindsey freak, or $tevie, or chiffon head, or anything like that, it shows such a bias that it it tends to make everything they say suspect. If I said "Lindsay freaks can't accept that his touring demands are why he was fired," that would clearly show my bias. Or if I said "Lindsey was fired because $tevie wanted Mike to replace him," again, there's a bias.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is Chiffonhead really an insult?
I've never really considered it as an insult

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-04-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
And didn't South Park characterize Stevie as a goat?
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Not to me, but why not just say Stevie? Or her fans?
Old 05-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
When someone says Lindsey freak, or $tevie, or chiffon head, or anything like that, it shows such a bias that it it tends to make everything they say suspect. If I said "Lindsay freaks can't accept that his touring demands are why he was fired," that would clearly show my bias. Or if I said "Lindsey was fired because $tevie wanted Mike to replace him," again, there's a bias.
Well, not exactly.

"Lindsay freaks can't accept that his touring demands are why he was fired," that would clearly show my bias.

Yes, because in this statement you are name-calling the people who are fans of one particular band member. So that is, in fact, name calling.

I said "Lindsey was fired because $tevie wanted Mike to replace him," again, there's a bias

Actually, there's no name calling or insulting in that statement towards any other fans at all. It's merely an OPINION about what actions were taken by band members.

And, maybe this is where some people are having a problem.

Just because someone is offering an opinion about what they think happened within the band, or in a lot of cases, are citing actual statements about what happened made by people who were a lot closer to the action, those are NOT "insults". If someone wants to say Mick is a this or that or Stevie is a diva or Lindsey is a brat, or whatever... THAT IS NOT AN INSULT to anyone on this board for pete's sake. It's someone's opinion, and in some cases a comment based on a statement we have high confidence is actually true about what went on. You can disagree, and offer an alternative perspective, but if someone wants to insult Stevie, or Lindsey for that matter, or Mick, NO ONE in this forum should somehow take that as an insult to THEMSELVES. Someone hating on a band member is NOT an attack on other fans. Unless they actually insult another fan.

People need to stop being so personally offended when someone doesn't like their favorite band member, or when someone proposes a theory they don't like, or when people are talking about a topic you aren't interested in or are tired of discussing.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 05-04-2018 at 05:30 PM..
Old 05-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
People need to stop being so personally offended when someone doesn't like their favorite band member, or when someone proposes a theory they don't like, or when people are talking about a topic you aren't interested in or are tired of discussing.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, not exactly.

"Lindsay freaks can't accept that his touring demands are why he was fired," that would clearly show my bias.

Yes, because in this statement you are name-calling the people who are fans of one particular band member. So that is, in fact, name calling.

I said "Lindsey was fired because $tevie wanted Mike to replace him," again, there's a bias

Actually, there's no name calling or insulting in that statement towards any other fans at all. It's merely an OPINION about what actions were taken by band members.

Just because someone is offering an opinion about what they think happened within the band, or in a lot of cases, are citing actual statements about what happened made by people who were a lot closer to the action, those are NOT "insults". If someone wants to say Mick is a this or that or Stevie is a diva or Lindsey is a brat, or whatever... THAT IS NOT AN INSULT to anyone on this board for pete's sake. It's someone's opinion, and in some cases a comment based on a statement we have high confidence is actually true about what went on. You can disagree, and offer an alternative perspective, but if someone wants to insult Stevie, or Lindsey for that matter, or Mick, NO ONE in this forum should somehow take that as an insult to THEMSELVES. Someone hating on a band member is NOT an attack on other fans. Unless they actually insult another fan.

You are right, I misspoke (or miswrote, rather); a more appropriate example would have been, instead of saying $tevie, I had referred to Stevie superfans as "children of Stevie." It would be an insult to fans to refer to them as either "children of Stevie" or "children of Lindsey," don't you think? The implication is they can't think for themselves.

I agree with everything you said, I just wanted to clear up what I meant.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, not exactly.

This, all of this! Times 10.
Old 05-06-2018, 01:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
hmmm.... I think what the band did is sh&tty.....and let's see, that must make me:
Pathetic
To clarify my use of the word “pathetic,” it IS pathetic to say “I'm sorry but I have a right to…” in a thread where someone talked about a husband’s suicide and someone talked about his pending chemo. Like, why even reply at all, far less assert something so unnecessary, unfeeling, and pointless? Why not just ignore it and move on? Is it really THAT important? If it is, that’s kind of pathetic.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-06-2018, 02:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
To clarify my use of the word “pathetic,” it IS pathetic to say “I'm sorry but I have a right to…” in a thread where someone talked about a husband’s suicide and someone talked about his pending chemo. Like, why even reply at all, far less assert something so unnecessary, unfeeling, and pointless? Why not just ignore it and move on? Is it really THAT important? If it is, that’s kind of pathetic.
Sorry but many of us have sadness in our lives, but to tell us that because we've had tragedy we can't be upset about Lindsey being fired is something I disagree with. BTW in my post i said I was sorry for their problems.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
My comment was to the broader audience on here and was a canvassing of all the comments that had been thrown around. It was not specifically directed to the OP.

If people can't make the distinction between this being a forum (and in this case the specific threads involved) for talking about FM, that is sadly their problem.

NO ONE has been unsympathetic to the OP, and clearly they were making a call out for help and support. The terrible circumstances leading to that are clearly not the fault of the OP and no one was faulting them for that. Their point was taken -- that there are far, far more important things going on in the world than FM personnel changes. However, again, this is a FLEETWOOD MAC forum, and the threads involved were SPECIFICALLY set up for people to talk about current band events and people's reactions to them. I don't know why that is so hard for people to accept.

The OP, in their personal pain, lashed out in a way at others on this board. So yes, people will respond and did-- offering sympathy for his/her pain while defending their right to discuss the band in a band forum. But others latched onto the OP's point to launch their own ongoing gripes about everyone else's opinions. My remarks were intended for THEM.

But again, let's keep having circular arguments and taking positions about who is allowed to express what opinion and who isn't.