The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To be honest, I wouldn't be a fan if Stevie weren't involved. It just wouldn't be Fleetwood Mac. I know that there are a lot of people who prefer previous lineups which were most definitely made up of some of the most talented musicians ever and I have huge respect for them. I've always felt that there is a lot of resentment directed towards the Rumours lineup, particularly Stevie, because a lot of people felt that respect wasn't being paid to the individuals who came before. I think there are some who don't like the fact that she is the face of Fleetwood Mac because they think she is an inferior artist when compared to Peter Green, etc. There is something, though, about the Rumours lineup that works better than anything that came before or since...its why this particular incarnation has survived for so long and has been so successful. I miss Christine...there is definitely a hole there without her. The way her voice combines with Stevie's and Lindseys is gorgeous. There's no other sound like it. Still, I really enjoyed the fact that after she left it forced Stevie and Lindsey to recreate a sound that was closer Buckingham Nicks...I wasn't fortunate enough to have been around during that era, so it was an opportunity for me to see something very similar.

All in all, I can deal with the fact that Christine has left...its sad and I miss the overall sound she brought to it. I would love to have her back.

I can barely deal with FM without Lindsey...Stevie is the only reason the time period after he left holds any interest for me.

BUT, if it had been Stevie who left...I wouldn't get any enjoyment out of it at all. She would leave too great a hole in the band for me. I love her lyrics and her stage presence. I love her voice even though it has changed so much. It also helps that I don't take everything she says as seriously or personally as some do and I'm able to let her sometimes contradictory manner slide...I take her as she is and enjoy what she has to give and to hell with the rest of it.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes View Post
It also helps that I don't take everything she says as seriously or personally as some do and I'm able to let her sometimes contradictory manner slide...I take her as she is and enjoy what she has to give and to hell with the rest of it.
I totally agree! I don't understand why people rag on her so much for her inconsistency in interviews. Yeah, so she contradicts herself a lot.. I think that's just the sort of person she is. And does that really detract from her contribution to the band? No.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Lindsey's fine with losing money on his ridiculously self-indulgent solo tours, and (in this alternate universe) Chris is there for the music. Mick & John have always been along for the ride, and their pay wouldn't be all that different from a tour that Stevie was involved with.
I don't see how Mick and John's pay wouldn't be any different though. I would think they'd make substantially less and that is what would shoot the whole idea down.

Lindsey probably wouldn't be willing to lose money on his solo tours, if he couldn't replenish the coffers with FM. So, he wouldn't want to do it. Although, he knows he'd have a bigger audience with FM and Christine, than he would by himself. So, maybe he'd see it as a way of getting more exposure. And the idea of having Christine there to better showcase some of his songs would be appealing to him. Also, they could do Gotta Hold On Me together, a little extra to throw in for the casual fans.

Of course, even if everyone was magically willing, this would never happen, because if Christine was there, I don't think Stevie would ever not be there. You couldn't keep her away. You could hire all the security you wanted and she'd still break in. If Christine was doing it with the other 3, then even if you told Stevie she wasn't going to get paid at all, I think she'd still want to be a part of that.

Michele
Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
If you really want to know what it would have sounded like, just listen to the "Tango In The Night" album.
Excellent point! And then there's also Christine's cover of "Can't Help Falling in Love" featuring everyone except Stevie. Indeed, Stevie is practically absent on Tango except for the 2.5 songs she offered, and from what I can tell, she can barely be heard on any background vocals except for "Little Lies." By contrast, Christine's voice is featured very prominently in Lindsey's songs, e.g., "Caroline," "Big Love," etc. "Seven Wonders" was one of the less successful singles from the album whereas Christine's singles and "Big Love" were Top Ten smashes all over the world.

So I think the verdict is that FM would have continued to sell tons of albums with Christine's catchy pop ditties and Lindsey's pristine/eccentric production. But I think it would have been problematic in the live setting. If you think Lindsey overshadows Stevie now, his stage presence would have blown Christine out of the arena. I love me some Christine, but she has never been known for her enigmatic stage presence; she knows how to rock out, but she always remained in the background in a decidedly non-theatrical, undramatic manner. If you wanted keyboards, Christine delivered. If you wanted great singing, Christine delivered. If you wanted drama and vulnerability, Christine would tell you to get stuffed. By contrast, Lindsey is all too willing to please. There is no pretense with him- what you see is what you get. And he delivers a lot of energy, a lot of flair and a lot of enthusiasm. But as much as he connects with the audience with his showmanship, he still maintains an emotional distance and a total lack of vulnerability. The result is that a show led by Lindsey and Christine alone would be solid musically and energetic, but it would be a bit like a Lindsey solo concert with special guests. And we all know how well Lindsey solo concerts were selling.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Of course, even if everyone was magically willing, this would never happen, because if Christine was there, I don't think Stevie would ever not be there. You couldn't keep her away. You could hire all the security you wanted and she'd still break in. If Christine was doing it with the other 3, then even if you told Stevie she wasn't going to get paid at all, I think she'd still want to be a part of that.

Michele
Well, I think it would be plausible to imagine Stevie NOT wanting to return to FM, even with Christine on board, due to an ongoing dispute, e.g., Mick withholding the rights to the original "Silver Springs" recording. But at the end of the day, you're probably right in the sense that Stevie has as much of a capacity to forgive as she has the capacity to carry a grudge.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
So I think the verdict is that FM would have continued to sell tons of albums with Christine's catchy pop ditties and Lindsey's pristine/eccentric production. But I think it would have been problematic in the live setting. If you think Lindsey overshadows Stevie now, his stage presence would have blown Christine out of the arena.
That's funny because a few of the 1975 reviews ignore Stevie, but they do complain even then that Lindsey is hamming it up and overshadowing Christine, whom they found to be the real heart of the band.

Michele
Old 11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Imagine it was Stevie who had left the band after The Dance and the Reunion tour. How would Say You Will have sound? Probably a mix of the known SYW with the best of In the Meantime.
There's no telling. But I don't think necessarily combining two existing albums into a hypothetical one & calling that the product is likely. The production crew on SYW (assuming that particular crew would have been assembled with Nicks gone & McVie in) could easily have arranged Christine's material into a form -- a presentation -- that wouldn't have resembled at all what we came to know as In the Meantime. It's more likely, is it not, that Lindsey's material would have sounded a lot more like what it ultimately came to sound like -- because Lindsey is the most prominent guiding light on the presentation/arrangements, especially his own material. And while I don't generally swim in the Pool of Intentions like other fans, would Lindsey have wanted to put the same songs on SYW that he did with Stevie in the band -- based on the assumption of so many fans that Lindsey "communicates" with Stevie within the framework of songs on an album? There's just no predicting what SYW would have been, up to & including the very title (a Stevie Nicks title, by the way).

Quote:
And how would the tours have been?
Certainly lower key: theaters, indoor amphitheaters, &c. But on that much smaller scale, there would have been a great deal more wiggle room artistically, just as there was when Lindsey toured a few years ago. I think I'd have been more inclined to attend a show on a Buckingham+McVie+McVie+Fleetwood tour. I don't like the sound of Buckingham's singing these days, but I certainly like the way McVie sounds (based on ITM).

One thing may not have changed all that much, & I don't mean to contradict my post above. Chris McVie represents the same sort of reactionary quality in music that Stevie Nicks does, whereas Lindsey Buckingham, at least from time to time, wants to confound expectations, or to sidestep them. And so you get this tug-of-war of preferences with regard to set lists, arrangements & orchestration, & perhaps even things we rarely think about such as lighting & set length. In the band's current configuration, Lindsey pulls one way & Stevie pulls the other. Christine would undoubtedly continue to want the music & the show to be more traditional rather than less, & Lindsey & she might wind up at cross purposes over any number of elements.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
And while I don't generally swim in the Pool of Intentions like other fans, would Lindsey have wanted to put the same songs on SYW that he did with Stevie in the band -- based on the assumption of so many fans that Lindsey "communicates" with Stevie within the framework of songs on an album? There's just no predicting what SYW would have been, up to & including the very title (a Stevie Nicks title, by the way).
But frankly, I think Lindsey "communicates" with Stevie a lot less on SYW than he does on UTS or (to a lesser extent) GOS. When you take away Rover, Murrow, Peacekeeper, WTWCT, even the remaining love songs don't particularly seem to be about Stevie and something like SYHA is more suited to Christine's backing vocals anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
One thing may not have changed all that much, & I don't mean to contradict my post above. Chris McVie represents the same sort of reactionary quality in music that Stevie Nicks does, whereas Lindsey Buckingham, at least from time to time, wants to confound expectations, or to sidestep them. And so you get this tug-of-war of preferences with regard to set lists, arrangements & orchestration, & perhaps even things we rarely think about such as lighting & set length. In the band's current configuration, Lindsey pulls one way & Stevie pulls the other. Christine would undoubtedly continue to want the music & the show to be more traditional rather than less, & Lindsey & she might wind up at cross purposes over any number of elements.
And yet, I think it was much easier for Lindsey to get a 16 minute NTF into the set with Christine there than it would be today with just him and Stevie. In fact, that's the very thing I keep telling Lindsey in my head and if you see me wondering the streets talking to myself, this is most likely what I am saying: Lindsey, you had more leverage with 5 than you do with 4. Don't you realize this?

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-04-2009 at 03:44 PM..
Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talk about a dream! I would have loved it and still would if it was Chris and Lindsey. Not that I don't like Stevie, but I think a Fleetwood Mac without all the in-fighting and drama would be better for all of us. I think Lindsey and Christine would work hard with each other to put out the best possible album. There would not be the usual delays. On tour, I don't think Lindsey would try to overshadow Christine because he wouldn't feel like he had someone to compete with. Maybe it would all sound like Tango in the Night, but I LIKE that! In fact, during Tango was probably when Stevie should have stepped aside. Think about how differently things would have gone had that happened!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
Not only would I have liked to have seen it, I would have preferred it.

Matt
Ditto. I'm not hating on Stevie, I love her SYW stuff, but I just prefer Christine's overall body of work to Stevie's and the collaborations on TITN between her and Lindsey are great.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I think it would have been amazing... McVie Buckingham collaborations are some of the best tunes Mac has to offer...

I think attendance would be down quite a bit, but a niche following would support smaller venues. Album sales would be low of course as well. Stevie does sell for them, due to the fact she has her own following.

Musically I think it would be very very interesting.
I agree 100%. Very well explained. I also agree with Regina that Lindsey would have not collaborated with Fleetwood Mac if Stevie were not part of it. But my point was just an assumption. It's interesting to imagine what if...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
I agree 100%. Very well explained. I also agree with Regina that Lindsey would have not collaborated with Fleetwood Mac if Stevie were not part of it. But my point was just an assumption. It's interesting to imagine what if...
I think he would collaborate with FM w/o Stevie... He did for "A Fine Mess" and also before the Dance... LB loves to be in the studio w/ Mick/John and Christine...

What do you all think...?
Old 11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think he would collaborate with FM w/o Stevie... He did for "A Fine Mess" and also before the Dance... LB loves to be in the studio w/ Mick/John and Christine...

I see what you're saying but A Fine Mess was not a Fleetwood Mac project so its not really the same thing. As far as being in the studio with John, Mick, and Christine, I'm sure he does enjoy it but if he wants to put together a project that's going to make any money, he won't do it without Stevie. All in all, he may collaborate with members of Fleetwood Mac sans Stevie, but not on anything that will have the Fleetwood Mac name on it.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And he also collaborated with the "Behind the Mask" song, even though he was recently left the band, I mean some wounds may still were open, but he was there. Yes he may enjoyed to be in the studio
Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And he also collaborated with the "Behind the Mask" song, even though he was recently left the band, I mean some wounds may still were open, but he was there. Yes he may enjoyed to be in the studio
I'd love to hear about that brief time he spent with them working on a song or two. We never hear anything about it. And now it's too late to ask Greg Ladanyi.

moviekinks.blogspot.com