Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Just piano please

Fans have probably discussed this before, but does anyone know exactly why Chris insisted on only playing the piano during the Heroes tour? The only written explanation I've ever come across was in a book on the band where the author said something like "she didn't feel like playing anything but the piano." Not particularly helpful.

I have a couple of possible ideas:

1. She did this to get some new perspective on songs she'd done so many times on previous tours.

2. She hadn't toured in months and felt insecure about handling all the keyboards. (just a thought...)

3. Bob's new Heroes songs, like "Bermuda Triangle" demanded some synth, which she either wasn't too keen on playing or couldn't play because she was busy at the keys.

4. She wanted to beef up her piano chops again.

Whhat do you think?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that they needed to flesh out their live sound(since they were down to one guitar), and Bob wanted his keyboard buddy along for the ride.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll go along with Homer. With only 1 guitar, they wanted a fuller sound. In one interview, she later said that she wasn't real happy with Doug Graves' keyboards, that she didn't feel he complemented her piano all that well. As far as I'm concerned, the more keyboards the better. I LOVE those heroes boots!

Last edited by macfan 57; 08-09-2006 at 05:47 AM..
Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
In one interview, she later said that she wasn't real happy with Doug Graves' keyboards...
Which could be why they switched to Bob Welch's old Head West bandmate, Bobby Hunt, later in the tour.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Which could be why they switched to Bob Welch's old Head West bandmate, Bobby Hunt, later in the tour.
Wasn't it the other way around? The only bootleg that I have with BH on keyboards is Sausalito. Don Kirshner, Hempstead & Chicago all have DG. I believe Hempstead & Chicago were all recorded in 10/74. Wasn't Sausalito recorded first, then Kirshner, then the 2 October performances.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wasn't it the other way around? The only bootleg that I have with BH on keyboards is Sausalito. Don Kirshner, Hempstead & Chicago all have DG. I believe Hempstead & Chicago were all recorded in 10/74. Wasn't Sausalito recorded first, then Kirshner, then the 2 October performances.
I saw 'em twice during that time...I was at the Kirshner taping (in late August or early September) when they had Doug (and his wonderful sparkling silver coat). Then I saw them again in mid-December at the Long Beach Arena, Bobby Hunt was with them.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I couldn't remember which one was first, Doug or Bobby.

Yeah, I could've looked it up, or just sat here......
Old 08-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I couldn't remember which one was first, Doug or Bobby.

Yeah, I could've looked it up, or just sat here......

Well, here's a hypothetical theory...

The band decided to add a second keyboard player. Bobby Hunt just happened to drop by the studio (on Welch's invitation) when they did the Sausalito recording...then, when asked to do the tour, Hunt turned down the offer or had a scheduling conflict, so they got Doug. Doug doesn't work out for one reason or another and gets his walking papers, then Welch calls Hunt to join 'em for the last few shows of the tour.

See? It's not a "black & white" issue of whether Bobby Hunt or Doug Graves was "first". I don't think they were as retentive in 1974 as they became by 2003.
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, here's a hypothetical theory...

The band decided to add a second keyboard player. Bobby Hunt just happened to drop by the studio (on Welch's invitation) when they did the Sausalito recording...then, when asked to do the tour, Hunt turned down the offer or had a scheduling conflict, so they got Doug. Doug doesn't work out for one reason or another and gets his walking papers, then Welch calls Hunt to join 'em for the last few shows of the tour.
That makes sense.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Christine really enjoyed battling it out with these serious B3 players.

Although one of those guys plays some pad on "Bermuda Triangle" on that TV show & it really doesn't interfere with anything. It just complements the others.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Although one of those guys plays some pad on "Bermuda Triangle" on that TV show & it really doesn't interfere with anything. It just complements the others.
That would be Doug Graves.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That would be Doug Graves.
Why is that guy's last name "Graves"?? I mean ... that's so ... cryptic.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Why is that guy's last name "Graves"?? I mean ... that's so ... cryptic.
David, Doug Graves has since passed away. According to Bob Welch in one of his Q & A's, he died of AIDS.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
David, Doug Graves has since passed away. According to Bob Welch in one of his Q & A's, he died of AIDS.
Err........ rest in peace, Doug.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Whew, and I thought I was the only David that liked to insert his foot into his mouth!

Rest in peace, Doug.