The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

I know but I Just assumed it was a Ledgie who was the recipient of the "sweat-towel" LOL. Fess up! Who among you has it!!?
Old 04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

New York Post, No Rumour, Mac’s back
By MICHAELANGELO MATOS April 9, 2013

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainmen...NmQseCJ1tBQsUL

Fleetwood Mac have so many hits that when they don’t just play them in concert, it can seem like they’re doing something new. That’s how it felt on last night at Madison Square Garden, where many of the obvious (and correct) choices like “Go Your Own Way” and “Gypsy” were goosed by a surprising, and gratifying, number of deep cuts.

Singer-tambourine player Stevie Nicks, singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, founding bassist John McVie and drummer Mick Fleetwood — bolstered onstage by two male musicians and two female singers — played well and passionately. Sometimes too passionately — Buckingham’s stop-start version of “Never Going Back Again” was showy.

But even there the band was pushing itself a surprising amount. They could have just played “Rumours” front to back, stud it with a few other number-ones, and called it a paycheck. Instead, right after the three back-to-back “Rumours” selections that opened the show (“Second Hand News,” “The Chain,” “Dreams”), they pulled out a new song — titled “Sad Angel” — that Buckingham announced would be on an EP out this week. He also said the band had been working on new material that represented “the best stuff we’ve done in a while,” and “Sad Angel” sounded it — bright and hard like the band’s best-known work.

Later, Nicks began a song by explaining she’d written for an unfinished duo album with Buckingham from 1974. Recently, she’d rediscovered it via, as she put it, “You guessed it, YouTube.” Titled “Without You,” it was gauzy and quite lovely.

They even cleared a four-song mini-set, during the second half-hour, of songs from 1979’s “Tusk,” a legendary “difficult” album that nevertheless is full of goodies. Nicks was fearsome on that album’s “Sisters on the Moon,” throttling her mike stand. Buckingham didn’t lay back, either; he tore into “The Chain” like he’d written it the day before.

Did Fleetwood Mac invent the pop present? Not musically, necessarily — though their comfy-yet-tough ’70s classics are all touchstones for many young musicians. It’s more that the inner conflicts driving both the band — which featured two couples (departed keyboardist Christine McVie was John’s wife) and plenty of affairs — and its music, where we could all hear about their real-life travails, is the model for the social-media pop present. Watching them up there acknowledging their mutual pasts — smartly and with feeling — could make you hope that their maturity will be a model for today’s kids as well.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Singer-tambourine player Stevie Nicks

Glad the shows seem to be getting good reviews!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The show was amazing last night. From the crickets to Say Goodbye. The band sounded so energized, strong, and tight. Wow. They all look so happy, genuinely happy, not forced or staged, and that is beautiful to see. The crowd gave Lindsey such a well deserved ovation for I'm So Afraid. Loved the twirlage during Gypsy . Loved the Landslide intro ad lib, but I loved when Stevie was singing the S N O W- covered hills part at the end, she seemed to be directing the Garden singers, to take the note higher, and when to stop, it was funny. Without You was simply beautiful. Sad Angel was rocking. Eyes of the World was great too. To see Sisters of the Moon, was a wish fulfilled . Not That Funny was great. I thought is was the loudest song of the set. The whole concert I thought was very loud, the loudest that I can remember a Mac show ever being. Which of course I loved, I kept saying to my friend " it's so LOUD ". The show was loud the crowd was loud, very, very cool. Speaking of loud, I think after Silver Springs, Stevie was trying to tell, or ask Lindsey something, and he couldn't hear her, she repeated herself a couple of times, until he heard her, and they laughed. But, it amazes me that in that loud, electric environment, Lindsey actually takes the time to really hear, or understand what she is saying, and just doesn't brush it off. Thank you Fleetwood Mac!!!!! See you at Jones Beach!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragrsrocalot View Post
The show was loud the crowd was loud, very, very cool. Speaking of loud, I think after Silver Springs, Stevie was trying to tell, or ask Lindsey something, and he couldn't hear her, she repeated herself a couple of times, until he heard her, and they laughed. But, it amazes me that in that loud, electric environment, Lindsey actually takes the time to really hear, or understand what she is saying, and just doesn't brush it off. Thank you Fleetwood Mac!!!!! See you at Jones Beach!
It reminds me of the video of World Turning when Lindsey and Christine are sharing a mic and she is talking to him and he is saying, "What?! What?" So cute.

Michele
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
I know but I Just assumed it was a Ledgie who was the recipient of the "sweat-towel" LOL. Fess up! Who among you has it!!?
Well, I know there are Ledgies with towels, but I don't know about this particular towel
Old 04-09-2013, 11:39 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
Was anyone interviewed outside the venue by NY Mag for the internet site? I was approached and asked some questions (mainly about Stevie and why she is so beloved and popular). The woman recording my answers said she was compiling quotes for an online article. If anyone knows about that or finds it, let us know!
Yeah, that woman (ok to me she was more like a girl! - prob a 22 yo intern) approached us and we answered her Stevie questions../she said they might be used for a piece on vulture.com, NY mag's culture site. I looked today but didn't see anything. Will let you know if i ever come across it!
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have never posted here before, but wanted to offer my thoughts on last night's New York concert. It was my first Fleetwood Mac show, though I have seen Stevie and Lindsey before on their solo tours. I am very familiar with their music, their history, the FM sound and tempos, and prior tours and performances, so I wouldn't consider myself a new fan or an ignorant concertgoer who they play the hits for. I had no idea going in what the set list would be, since I deliberately did not want to be spoiled which takes away from the fun of not knowing what's next. But of course, I did read that Stevie was performing Sisters of the Moon and was very excited going in. Not sure if I can contribute anything new, but here's some more comments:

It's very heartening to read such positive reviews of the concert. It was rocking and loud! Like any concert, there were a few meh moments for sure, which I'll elaborate on, but I think the vibe in the Garden was absolutely electric, right from the start. I love that all the New York newspaper reviewers caught on to the excitement and the pizzazz that many of the songs had, especially considering some of the negative reviews last time around. The Times in particular did not offer a favorable critique of Unleashed, which had me nervous going in, that the band might be a let down and that some of the songs would quite frankly be stale. But let me say that they did not in any way disappoint me.

- I had a feeling Second Hand News would start the set. I saw that the last tour didn't open with The Chain and figured they would continue in that vein. Second Hand News hadn't been used by the band recently as an opener, and seemed like an obvious and appropriate choice. And it was featured prominently in the Lindsey show I saw last year, marking the transition of the acoustic set which began his show to the four-man band. Loved the crickets' sound, which was louder than I expected not having heard it before. And loved seeing Mick come out in the dark and jump up with his hands above his head on his way to the drum set. John took his place, moving slowly (we saw he had a little trouble making the stairs later in the night). Then, of course, Lindsey and Stevie came out arm in arm. This one absolutely rocked...and for a band that shies away from the theatrics other artists use to start a concert, I thought it was a great opener with tons of energy.

- The Chain and Dreams are favorites of mine. I love those two songs. John's bass was a little muffled when he came in on The Chain, way on the loud side. And Dreams is such a wonderful song...maybe could've been a little faster like The Dance version. I'd say it's one of the most obvious songs that misses Christine's presence, as her vocal was instrumental to the glorious sound of the chorus.

- I think Sad Angel was a nice new song. It fit the band's sound and it was surprisingly uptempo, featuring Stevie quite prominently. I guess Lindsey was dreading it, as per the twitter status that was seen. But it had quite a warm reception and people were thrilled about the EP. Excited to see if the positive reception continues once it's released. My family thought it was good song, which was surprising since they don't usually go for something on a first listen.

- I'd never thought I would hear the word "axiom" at a rock concert, but Lindsey sure does enjoy his eccentric little speeches. In theory the idea of featuring four straight songs from Tusk as a mini-set is fantastic. I appreciated the way of structuring the concert. I wasn't crazy about Not That Funny, and it seemed to be the first song in the set when I could see people leave their seats to get concessions or go to the bathroom. In fact, maybe that began as soon as it was clear Lindsey was introducing Tusk songs LOL. My parents, who introduced me to Fleetwood Mac, told me they never really liked Not That Funny, and I agreed. I'd have preferred another of Lindsey's Tusk songs in it's place.

- I loved Tusk, the version being the same Lindsey has been doing for his solo concerts. That song has gradually become a genuine classic over the years, and I'm so happy it was highlighted front and center for a new audience in the Americans pilot. But I think I prefer the faster version.

- I was eagerly awaiting Sisters of the Moon, like everyone, and I hadn't heard Stevie's 2013 take beforehand. I have to say I was very impressed with her vocals and how she really went for the crazed speaking in tongues at the end. It is the wildest I have ever seen Stevie get since she's had her long hair. It actually became quite a mess, and I LOVED that she went there, to that place. I do, however, think the song can be improved:
1 - Drop the sustained "Sisters" over the full band chorus segments. For me, this was a choice that speaks to the feel of Stevie's most recent work, and it made the song sound like a cut from In Your Dreams. Not that that's a bad thing, but I would have preferred the song without those excess flourishes and with the cowbell break to give her voice a rest.
2 - The song needs to have more drive, it felt too slow. It also needed the longer intro to build the atmosphere and mystique that made the song a Stevie signature and a staple in the 78-82 setlist.
3 - I'd love Lindsey to sing the third verse. His voice, like in Gypsy, would add more to the song. Also, he needs a stronger guitar sound, as the full band choruses weren't as intense as the sound in earlier live performances.
4 - The ending: The guitar part/Lindsey's improv was too loud for Stevie's final verse, drowning out some of her singing. That could be there intentionally if she's worried about her voice and straining. I'd have preferred that the song finished with the guitar solo rather than abruptly with a sustained "Sisters of the Moon" line.
5 - Of course, maybe these are Stevie's preferences and I should just be grateful I saw her perform it. I just think there is greater potential that is achievable, and that most importantly the vocal umph is there.

- When Sara was played next, I found myself immediately shocked that it was placed after Sisters of the Moon. So much so that I thought it was a different song. I thought Stevie would get a little break. My only gripe is last night John's bass part was way over-modulated in the first part of the concert, and the mixing made this song way too heavy and overbearing. I read that a few others picked up on this, and I was glad that it was rectified following the acoustic set. I was thrilled to finally see Sara performed live, though I wish Lindsey's guitar part was a little more prominent at the beginning like in the Fleetwood Mac Live version.

- The curtain behind Lindsey for Big Love was an absolutely fantastic design choice, highlighting his guitar playing. Great moment here, and for Landslide. I think the banter between Stevie and Lindsey before that song went over the heads of many people. I think an interesting choice to engage the audience would be to actually lengthen Landslide, for Stevie to start and then let the crowd sing the first verse. Everyone was singing it...and then she could of course go back and sing her part. It'd be interesting to create this dynamic, like Tina Turner has done with What's Love Got To Do With It or Beyonce more recently with Irreplaceable. But we all know Stevie's not the one who likes to change things up.

- Without You wasn't one of my favorites last night. I appreciated hearing a Buckingham Nicks track, but I ultimately found it forgettable. I would have greatly preferred a live performance duet of Crystal (BRING THIS SONG BACK PLEASE!!!) with the backing rhythm section and band. I still can't believe they have never performed this song live with Fleetwood Mac, especially when John continues to rave about how much he loves it. Maybe they have never gotten it to work in their rehearsals? I don't know, but this was the song I was hoping they would do, and it would surprise me. Too bad.

- To me, Gypsy felt a little slow. The band sounded fine here, and I loved that Mick used his smaller drum kit for a few songs. Stevie completely bypassed "Oh, and it lights up the night," and you can really notice it in the video recordings since the audience is singing those lyrics. I'm glad I saw a live performance of this song, one of their most complex and beautiful recordings.

- I wasn't that keen for Eyes of the World. Probably my last criticism of the set. The background images here were cheesy with the eyes on the screen. I would have preferred Bleed To Love Her (which is a fantastic song), I Don't Want to Know (not sure if they could ever get this one to work as it's still surprising it's never been in a Fleetwood Mac set), or Thrown Down.

- I'm So Afraid brought down the house. As someone who greatly appreciates when the staging and lighting can really emphasize the impact of a song, this was ONE OF THE HIGHLIGHTS OF THE NIGHT. I've seen it live before and watched Lindsey play it on video. BUT the red lighting overhead on the square platforms (kind of like a toaster oven) coupled with the huge screen in back with the smoke effect was PERFECT!! The audience went crazy for it, and Lindsey was wonderful!! Amazing amazing moment, much more spectacular seeing in a huge, packed arena than for his solo concert.

- I know Stand Back brings some criticism, but I totally understand why it's in the set. It gets everyone pumped and on their feet for Go Your Own Way and the end of the main program. I thought it might be lacking energy, especially if it's not one of Lindsey's favorites...absolutely not. Also, I'm not sure if Stevie will ever go with Seven Wonders, kind of like Lindsey with Blue Letter, as it is a song she didn't write.

- Encores: I was hoping they would change these up from the last tour and find a perfect ending that was as close to Songbird as possible. Once we got to Stand Back though I had a feeling it would probably be the same from there to the end. But this didn't disappoint me as much as I thought it might. World Turning was a blast and was played at a great tempo. These people were great at masking their fatigue. And I hadn't seen Mick use the mic before to engage the audience. His passion is addictive. The song was wonderful, and again kept up the energy and momentum. With Don't Stop, I noticed as everyone probably always points out that Stevie changed Chris' lyrics for her part, which I hadn't really paid attention to before. But the band did an admirable job with Christine's songs, and thank the lord they didn't do Say You Love Me. I do think, however, they could pull off a slow version of Little Lies...

- I thought the concert would finish with Silver Springs, which was a great performance from Stevie. I know some people on here said she hasn't really been able to recapture the magic from The Dance. I really enjoyed the ambient lighting, the blue-green colors flashing. I was tremendously excited when it was clear they had a fourth song in them (and was hoping CRYSTAL! CRYSTAL!). Say Goodbye was a very appropriate, beautifully played and mournful guitar sendoff, featuring both singers and putting their relationship front and center. Overall, it was a great concert, and I was so thrilled that the energy and the passion was absolutely there from the band. Lindsey definitely came through, as we know he does, but Stevie certainly did too and deserves equal credit for really attacking her songs with passion. God that is a really long review.

Last edited by bethelblues; 04-10-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Old 04-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Its on Dime

Hi,

Just before I went to bed last night, I found the MSG-show on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=446205

Downloaded it overnight to my NAS, didn't had the time yet to listen to it.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
Hi,

Just before I went to bed last night, I found the MSG-show on Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=446205

Downloaded it overnight to my NAS, didn't had the time yet to listen to it.
Thanks.I just notice that Throwndown has another Columbus sourced show onboard.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-10-2013, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Man, they're sounding good! Gypsy for one sounds much, much better than I remember from the early Unleashed days. And yeah, Sisters has already improved greatly.

Keeping up with the shows is really eating into my sleeping time over here, but I can't seem to help it Thanks to everyone who's feeding my addiction with videos and your wonderful reviews.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The show at Madison Square Garden was probably the best Mac show I've seen. Same show as Philly but there was something different about it, maybe because it was NY. The band sounded amazing. Stevie in particular was totally feeling it, moving around and dancing more than I've seen her do in recent years, and definitely more than she did in Philly. She was all over the place during Tusk. The interaction between Stevie and Lindsey reminded me of shows past, when they less concerned about stepping on egos and more interested in just being themselves. This was particularly evident during "Never Going Back Again", where Stevie was doing her own intrepative dance/gestures as Lindsey sang. It was beautiful to watch and made this song seem new again.

Lindsey was wonderful, as always. I'm liking the tight levis!! The band really seemed to be in very good rapport with each other. Stevie and John did a little bow to each other (I forget which song it was before, towards the end I think) but it was so cute! I love to watch the band interaction during the show! Stevie seemed to do some major ad libbing before Landslide, calling Lindsey "Mr. Buckingham". He seemed to be taken a little off guard but man she sounded very sexy and flirty. Even Say Goodbye sounded good and the audience was extremely respectful and appreciative from start to finish. For me, this show was about as magic as it gets!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
The interaction between Stevie and Lindsey reminded me of shows past, when they less concerned about stepping on egos and more interested in just being themselves. This was particularly evident during "Never Going Back Again", where Stevie was doing her own intrepative dance/gestures as Lindsey sang. It was beautiful to watch and made this song seem new again.!
This one of my favorite moments from the DC show. I almost missed it as Lindsey was casting his spell with his guitar, but I looked over and saw Stevie in her darkness doing "The Dance".. melted my wild heart.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie has really been kicking up the energy! She's all over the place on tusk!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thought it might be nice to have a copy of this version of Landslide here. Cannot get over how close and happy they both seem to be:

Ditto for this moment between Silver Springs and Say Goodbye:

I like them smiling. And they're cracking songs, obviously.