Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Wild Heart covers

I just stumbled across the corner of Youtube where everyone and their mother has covered Wild Heart, including Susanne Sundfør, Seeker Lover Keeper, Matt Pond, Futurebirds, U.S. Royalty, Abe Vigoda, and Mr. Silla. It's a wide variety style wise, and I think it's pretty cool but a little unexpected.

It's almost always the dressing room version, and I can see why, because it is amazing and spirited and catchy. And I do love it when hip young artists are inspired by Stevie. I'm just wondering what brought on all the love. It's definitely not one of the usual go-to Stevie songs, and I wouldn't be surprised if casual fans haven't ever heard it. Maybe just the popularity of the video on Youtube?

Whatever the case, I'm glad it's gotten some appreciation!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The band US Royalty's cover version of "Wild Heart" is nothing short of phenomenal!! If you're going to bother covering a song you should be able to take it to new and exciting places and US Royalty achieves that. The lead singer even has the tambourine/spins down. You go, girl !!
Old 09-11-2014, 08:35 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
The band US Royalty's cover version of "Wild Heart" is nothing short of phenomenal!! If you're going to bother covering a song you should be able to take it to new and exciting places and US Royalty achieves that. The lead singer even has the tambourine/spins down. You go, girl !!
Yeah, that's one that really impressed me. There were a few other performances of the song by them, but the one I linked to is AWESOME.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think that for Ms. Nicks it must be kind of crazy that...
1. she was just goofing around one day while having her hair and/or makeup done and now so many people saw that and apparently love it
2. people now associate that one off goofing around with the song and
3. people record it and sing it live!!

I like both versions, but I would love to hear the original Wild Heard live.

Kevin
Old 09-12-2014, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post
1. she was just goofing around one day while having her hair and/or makeup done and now so many people saw that and apparently love it

Kevin

4. that people do the song to Lindsey's track and not hers
Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyfan View Post

Kevin
I've been a Stevie fan for 35 years, and "The Wild Heart" Dressing Room film is one of the TOP 10 BEST things I've ever seen or heard from her. It's playful, beautiful, and joyous!! As she plays with the harmony of the song, you can just feel the wonder and joy exuding from her soul. I first had access to this video way back in 2002 (before the dawn of YOUTUBE). I'm so happy that now other artists and bands have discovered this amazing film and are choosing to adapt their cover versions of the song to this arrangement.

I LOVE hearing the lyrics sung over Lindsey Buckingham's "Can't Go Back". I think Stevie should have RE-Recorded this version of "Wild Heart" for the new "24 Karat" album----complete with Lindsey's musical track.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I've been a Stevie fan for 35 years, and "The Wild Heart" Dressing Room film is one of the TOP 10 BEST things I've ever seen or heard from her. It's playful, beautiful, and joyous!! As she plays with the harmony of the song, you can just feel the wonder and joy exuding from her soul. I first had access to this video way back in 2002 (before the dawn of YOUTUBE). I'm so happy that now other artists and bands have discovered this amazing film and are choosing to adapt their cover versions of the song to this arrangement.

I LOVE hearing the lyrics sung over Lindsey Buckingham's "Can't Go Back". I think Stevie should have RE-Recorded this version of "Wild Heart" for the new "24 Karat" album----complete with Lindsey's musical track.

Yes. I wish that she used Lindsey's "Can't Go Back" track on the WH album and rerecorded for 24K.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 12-13-2015, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kita Alexander, Like You Want to EP

The 10 Best EPs Of 2015

http://www.idolator.com/7617175/best...-the-year-2015

Idolator Staff | December 11, 2015 - 10:20 am

Top 40 pop was off-limits in Kita Alexander’s household. Instead, she grew up listening to her parent’s record collection and developed a passion for all things ’80s. A preference that dictates the hazy synth sound of the Australian singer/songwriter’s intoxicating debut EP. She channels Stevie Nicks on the sublime title track and turns to the Fleetwood Mac icon for more inspiration on euphoric EP highlight “Wild Heart.” But it’s not all retro-leaning. The Brisbane teenager incorporates hip-hop elements in the production of “Plain Sight” and shows off her grittier side on rock anthem “High Tops.” — MIKE WASS
Old 12-13-2015, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I had the dressing room version on a bootleg VHS tape I got back in the 90's at a record convention. I thought it was one of those things that only I and a handful of people knew about. I showed my best friend who was only a casual Fleetwood Mac fan and he went nuts for it and we played it all the time. I put it on one of my mix tapes and would play it in the car all the time too. Years later when the YouTube video had gone viral and she was interviewed about it on some talk show I sent the link to my friend said "look, we're not the only ones who loved this" and he was as thrilled as I was. It's such a magical moment that even people who aren't die hard Stevie fans still fall in love with it.

As far as the covers go, well, they say the Velvet Underground's first album initially only sold 100 copies but everyone who bought it started a band because it was so raw, uninhibited and different than anything else that was out there. I think the fact that Stevie's Wild Heart demo is similar in that it's so raw and emotional. You feel like you're peeking into someone's private life and seeing total magic and that inspires people. And the fact that the only version that exists of this is that copy of a copy of a grainy old VHS tape, people want to make something shiny and new out of it, even if they have to do it themselves.

My dream about this is that I wish Stevie and Lindsey would do a mash-up on stage where he would sing Can't Go Back and she would break in after each chorus with Wild Heart. It would be really cool because here's him singing to her about how what they had was wonderful but it's in the past and you can't go back to it and she's singing "don't blame me, blame it on my wild heart". It's so perfect.

My favorite cover is by Matt Pond.

Last edited by UndoingTheLaces; 12-13-2015 at 12:28 PM..
Old 12-13-2015, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedancingcow View Post
I just stumbled across the corner of Youtube where everyone and their mother has covered Wild Heart, including Susanne Sundfør, Seeker Lover Keeper, Matt Pond, Futurebirds, U.S. Royalty, Abe Vigoda, and Mr. Silla. It's a wide variety style wise, and I think it's pretty cool but a little unexpected.

It's almost always the dressing room version, and I can see why, because it is amazing and spirited and catchy. And I do love it when hip young artists are inspired by Stevie. I'm just wondering what brought on all the love. It's definitely not one of the usual go-to Stevie songs, and I wouldn't be surprised if casual fans haven't ever heard it. Maybe just the popularity of the video on Youtube?

Whatever the case, I'm glad it's gotten some appreciation!

None come close to Stevie's original
Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Again I would love the dressingroom version redone.I would love to see it on her 24K two album.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Does anyone out there have a download-able version of Matt Pond's cover they wouldn't mind sharing? The only file versions I could find out in cyber-land are not on reliable sites...
Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Again I would love the dressingroom version redone.I would love to see it on her 24K two album.
I don't believe Stevie's version couldbe redone. Her voice is not in the same shape as it was then and that carefree spirit when you're singing just for fun can't be recreated when you know you're being recorded. And they'd put all sorts of overdubs and backing vocals and such. The sublime beauty of the video version is that it's just her and Lori, and you get to hear the gorgeous interplay of their voices. Let's not forget how much Lori's wonderful voice and sense of harmony contributes to the greatness of that video. And the fact that they're just riffing and playing around with different ways of doing this small snippet of the song that Stevie hadn't fully written yet but was just starting to have pieces of. I'm just thankful it got captured at all. I would however put this on my wishlist of things for her to do live onstage at my fantasy magical concert that she'd do in some smaller, intimate venue. She'd pull out all sorts of hidden gems from her repertoire. This would be one-- she and Lori could stand (or sit-- they are sitting in the video after all) and sing that bit. For me the problem with 24k or her redoing any of her demos is that in the demos there's an energy and excitement because the songs are brand new and she's trying to capture them so she can share them with other people that you can't catch twice. Once it goes into the studio and you've sung it a bunch of times working out the arrangement and such, that freshness goes away. Same with this one I'm afraid.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I don't believe Stevie's version couldbe redone. Her voice is not in the same shape as it was then and that carefree spirit when you're singing just for fun can't be recreated when you know you're being recorded. And they'd put all sorts of overdubs and backing vocals and such. The sublime beauty of the video version is that it's just her and Lori, and you get to hear the gorgeous interplay of their voices. Let's not forget how much Lori's wonderful voice and sense of harmony contributes to the greatness of that video. And the fact that they're just riffing and playing around with different ways of doing this small snippet of the song that Stevie hadn't fully written yet but was just starting to have pieces of. I'm just thankful it got captured at all. I would however put this on my wishlist of things for her to do live onstage at my fantasy magical concert that she'd do in some smaller, intimate venue. She'd pull out all sorts of hidden gems from her repertoire. This would be one-- she and Lori could stand (or sit-- they are sitting in the video after all) and sing that bit. For me the problem with 24k or her redoing any of her demos is that in the demos there's an energy and excitement because the songs are brand new and she's trying to capture them so she can share them with other people that you can't catch twice. Once it goes into the studio and you've sung it a bunch of times working out the arrangement and such, that freshness goes away. Same with this one I'm afraid.
Yes .I agree.Time has past.They all were young then.I wish a better copy of it shows up somewhere and to bad it did not make here CV DVD collection.I can see a skit of it done on the Jimmy Fallon's Tonight Show but nobody except us know the song.