Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Vinyl Records Come Full Circle

I read a nice article on how vinyl records are making a comeback in my local paper tonight.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rcle/18857829/

I have quite a vinyl collection from the 70s & 80s. I haven't bought any lately even though I have a stereo with a record player on it. I think it's great that they've come back. Nothing like the sound. Once in a while, I'll play an old vinyl record. I wish there were some vinyl record stores around where I live. I wonder if 45's will come back, too.

Lee
Old 11-19-2014, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I read a nice article on how vinyl records are making a comeback in my local paper tonight.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rcle/18857829/

I have quite a vinyl collection from the 70s & 80s. I haven't bought any lately even though I have a stereo with a record player on it. I think it's great that they've come back. Nothing like the sound. Once in a while, I'll play an old vinyl record. I wish there were some vinyl record stores around where I live. I wonder if 45's will come back, too.

Lee
Wow .Thats great news.I hate digital crap.CD's,MP3's ETC.To bad people got brainwashed about digital when it first came out.

I just got another load of vinyl myself in the past week from my friend down the road.Now I have lost count what he gave me so far.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My family had vinyl GALORE in the late 70's/early 80's when I was a kid. By the time cassettes (then CD's) came into the mix, we'd either sold them in garage sales, given them away or trashed them (including the turntable). By the mid 90's there was not a vinyl record in sight in our home...which, in retrospect, makes me sad because we had a lot of cool stuff.

When I grew into adulthood and started living on my own, I'd pick up the occasional vinyl record here and there, and had about 15 or 20. Even purchased a turntable through one of my fellow employees at Tower Records.

When my ex left me in January of 2011, I immersed myself in many different hobbies as a "coping mechanism" to get over him. One of these hobbies was becoming a "full on vinyl collector". In the past three and a half years, I've been lucky enough to procure nearly 300 records. That's a lot to some people, but I have friends who are extreme vinyl aficionados who scoff at my collection compared to their THOUSANDS!

I love that vinyl has made a huge comeback in the past 10 years, even more so as each year passes! Most new releases from artists of all spectrum, genres, indie or mainstream, give us the option of a vinyl format...and that makes me soooo happy!

I'm such a completion-ist with my favorite artists, though, and really wish TISL, SYW and IYD had been made available on vinyl.

Great article, Lee! Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just love the technology of vinyl .

I was the one of the upset people when those little silver
thingy' s came to life with their tinny sound and micro artwork that you need a telescope to look at it because the print was so small.

I never like prerecorded cassette or short lived Cass-singles because they sound muddy
8tracks were worse.I got tons of cassettes and 8tracks anyway.

I would love to see that Stevie and FM later albums that missed the vinyl boat come on vinyl.I'll willing to pay $25 to $30 bucks for them.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have dozens of crates full of albums I've collected over the decades. I cherish them, but they weigh a ton when you have to move them, and I have moved at least a dozen times.

I'm stunned that vinyl has come back in vogue, especially with a younger generation who grew up in the digital age. A large music store I frequent has two stores back to back - one with CDs, and the other with just vinyl. It's heaven to me.

The amount of vinyl being issued now is astounding. The artwork is so alluring; along with vintage artists, there are so many obscure bands and artists whose music is being issued and reissued on vinyl, and the imagery is intoxicating. These albums are like visual/sonic works of art.

If I had a super-sized wealth of money, I'd be amassing a large amount of these platters. Unfortunately, vinyl is super expensive, being commensurate with smaller lots and increased quality. I have only several new albums on vinyl -- Stevie's new album, Aimee Mann's last album, and The Mamas & Papas infamous "toilet cover" first album. I would love to have Tom Petty's and U2's new releases, as well so many others.

Aside from the warmer tones, there is an increased intimacy and investment to the music when you can physically hold it in your hands, pouring your eyes over the accompanied imagery, lyrics and liner notes. You give the music more attention; receiving it as a complete body of work. You learn to accept, and maybe come to appreciate songs you might otherwise quickly dismiss. They might never be your favorites, but they are part of that family! It's a very different concept and experience from listening to random, hand-picked songs on an ipod.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 11-28-2014 at 10:59 PM..
Old 11-23-2014, 02:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I have dozens of crates full of albums I've collected over the decades. I cherish them, but they weigh a ton when you have to move them, and I have moved at least a dozen times.

I'm stunned that vinyl has come back in vogue, especially with a younger generation who grew up in the digital age. A large music store I frequent has two stores back to back - one with CDs, and the other with just vinyl. It's heaven to me.

The amount of vinyl being issued now is astounding. The artwork is so alluring; along with vintage artists, there are so many obscure bands and artists whose music is being issued and reissued on vinyl, and the imagery is intoxicating. These albums are like visual/sonic works of art.

If I had a super-sized wealth of money, I'd be amassing a large amount of these platters. Unfortunately, vinyl is super expensive, being commensurate with smaller lots and increased quality. I have only several new albums on vinyl -- Stevie's new album, Aimee Mann's last album, and The Mamas & Papas infamous "toilet cover" first album. I would love to have Tom Petty's and U2's new releases, as well so many others.

Aside from the warmer tones, there is an increased intimacy and investment to the music when you can physically hold it in your hands, pouring your eyes over the accompanied imagery, lyrics and liner notes. You give the music more attention; receiving it as a complete body of work. You learn accept, and maybe come to appreciate songs you might otherwise quickly dismiss. They might never be your favorites, but they are part of that family! It's a very different concept and experience from listening to random, hand-picked songs on an ipod.
All I can say is, ditto. So well written. For the last three years or so, almost every new album I've bought has been purchased on vinyl when the format was an option. My favorites are the records that include a CD copy. I have passed on a few titles, and only bought the CD, but that's usually because I procrastinated, like on the latest Mazzy Star or the blue vinyl reissue of Portishead's Dummy.

My favorite aspect of music on vinyl is that it feels more interactive. There's a ceremony to removing the album from it's packaging each time, and the ritual of cleaning the records to preserve their quality, and of course having to flip sides. Listening to an album becomes something I do, if that makes sense.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 11-28-2014, 02:26 PM
Registered

i switched to an mp3 player it's so much easier to take my music with me now
Old 11-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
i switched to an mp3 player it's so much easier to take my music with me now

Wow.Its the first linear tracking record player.

Hahaha.I wonder how many Disney records got played on that kiddie record played.Too bad it looks like it does not take 33 rpm records,I would love to hear 24K through that little speaker.LOL......................................

I dont recall having that model when I was a kid.

Heres one in action.

Last edited by Macfanforever; 11-28-2014 at 06:49 PM..
Old 11-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heres a way to play 24K or your other favorite records with no power and tone arm.LOL.

I think I done this when I was a kid.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was all excited when I bought a special limited edition of Wham!'s "Last Christmas" on a 12' vinyl single on Record Store Day at Amoeba. It was cool because the vinyl itself was translucent red and green. When I went to play it yesterday though, I discovered both sides were warped and unlistenable. I went online and saw that many other customers had the very same problem.

It sucks that they went out of their way to make this such a cool re-issue and then this happens. I think part of the problem was the packaging - the record itself was in a sticky plastic sleeve - not cardboard or paper. Bad idea for the grooves in the vinyl I think. Very dumb mistake.

I'd take it back, but L.A. is a 2 hr drive for me. Very disappointed.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
I was all excited when I bought a special limited edition of Wham!'s "Last Christmas" on a 12' vinyl single on Record Store Day at Amoeba. It was cool because the vinyl itself was translucent red and green. When I went to play it yesterday though, I discovered both sides were warped and unlistenable. I went online and saw that many other customers had the very same problem.

It sucks that they went out of their way to make this such a cool re-issue and then this happens. I think part of the problem was the packaging - the record itself was in a sticky plastic sleeve - not cardboard or paper. Bad idea for the grooves in the vinyl I think. Very dumb mistake.

I'd take it back, but L.A. is a 2 hr drive for me. Very disappointed.
I love that tune.I wonder what happened in the printing process.I dont know why they use plastic .It would be cheaper if they used paper or cardboard like the regular albums are put in.

Looking at the photo .I wonder if because of the two colors are merged together are also to be blame for the warping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CD-WhamLC.jpg (64.9 KB, 2 views)