Old 09-10-2011, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
http://tonymoreira.visibli.com/share/NGgGS9

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM, ‘SEEDS WE SOW’ – ALBUM REVIEW
by: Nick Nadel 49 minutes ago

Buckingham Records

‘Buckingham is equally fiery on the album standout ‘That’s the Way Love Goes,’ a churning pop-rock tune that sounds like a lost track from Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Mirage’ album. It’s moments like this that make you wish that the Buckingham of ‘Tusk’ gems ‘The Ledge’ and ‘What Makes You Think You Think You’re the One’ would pop up more often.

4/5 stars
I could not agree with this more!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
http://www.neontommy.com/news/2011/0...e-seeds-we-sow

Whitney Tolar | September 9, 2011
Staff Reporter

Lindsey Buckingham Showcases His Expertise On "Seeds We Sow"

Fleetwood Mac fans get excited – Lindsey Buckingham’s new album, “Seeds We Sow,” is now available for download and as a whole, it is definitely praiseworthy.

Even for generations too young to remember Buckingham’s pre-solo career, the album should resonate with anyone who appreciates a simple melody enriched by incredible instrumentals on the acoustic guitar.

The overall tone of the album is nostalgic and tranquil, yet one or two songs stray slightly from Buckingham’s characteristically understated sound into a louder, fast-paced style that has a more rock 'n roll feel, which is not necessarily pleasant.
“One Take,” for example, is out of place in the otherwise calming collection of songs, but this does not detract from the quality of the album as a whole.

A few especially great songs are “Seeds We Sow” and “End of Time.”

The album’s title track, “Seeds We Sow,” offers beautiful, intricate instrumentals on the acoustic guitar, creating a calming sound reminiscent of classic Fleetwood Mac.

This song is definitely the standout of the album, featuring subdued yet powerful vocals and touching lyrics making for a catchy melody that is sure to get stuck in your head (in the best way possible).

While the vocals and lyrics are impressive throughout, Buckingham’s awe-inspiring expertise on the acoustic guitar is what truly makes the album exceptional, unique, and definitely worth a download.

For the most part, “Seeds We Sow” maintains a refreshing folk sound few artists can achieve as well as Buckingham.
Annnnndddd... this is why he does so many "orchestral guitar" pieces and DOESN'T rock out as much as a good chunk of this board wants!

Also, Seeds We Sow (the acoustic version) the highlight of the album?

As long as reviews keep praising the "acoustic folk styling single guitar intimate feel etc etc etc" thing, Lindsey is never ever going to do an album full of songs like Illumination, TTWLG, SWS electric, and more of the heavy GOS stuff.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
[url]
‘In Our Own Time’ starts out as another shimmery folk track before Buckingham belts out the chorus. (“Wouldn’t make any difference/we crossed the line/from the fire we will rise again/in our own time”). Buckingham is equally fiery on the album standout ‘That’s the Way Love Goes,’ a churning pop-rock tune that sounds like a lost track from Fleetwood Mac’s ‘Mirage’ album. It’s moments like this that make you wish that the Buckingham of ‘Tusk’ gems ‘The Ledge’ and ‘What Makes You Think You Think You’re the One’ would pop up more often.
I need to only have moments that I wish Tusk Lindsey would pop up more often??? (Also, my dream setlist includes both The Ledge and What Makes You Think You're The One...)
Old 09-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
I need to only have moments that I wish Tusk Lindsey would pop up more often??? (Also, my dream setlist includes both The Ledge and What Makes You Think You're The One...)
mine includes What Makes You Think You're The One and Walk a Thin Line. although i wouldn't mind The Ledge either.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
mine includes What Makes You Think You're The One and Walk a Thin Line. although i wouldn't mind The Ledge either.
Oh yeah, Walk A Thin Line too, especially since it's the only one they've never even rehearsed! Plus most of Law and Order and Go Insane. (I'm one of the GI lovers... see username. )
Old 09-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
Oh yeah, Walk A Thin Line too, especially since it's the only one they've never even rehearsed! Plus most of Law and Order and Go Insane. (I'm one of the GI lovers... see username. )
i do love bang the drum and a few other songs on go insane (love d.w.suite!), but i dislike some others and so overall definitely not my favorite LB album. maybe i should listen to it more since looking at your lists of favorite LB songs, i seem to agree with you a lot?!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i do love bang the drum and a few other songs on go insane (love d.w.suite!), but i dislike some others and so overall definitely not my favorite LB album. maybe i should listen to it more since looking at your lists of favorite LB songs, i seem to agree with you a lot?!
I think Go Insane needs a reevaluation as well! I listened to it again and find it such an endearing album. He really made some fantastic solo albums, even if everyone has their personal faves. You can't fault his vision.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 09-10-2011 at 04:08 PM..
Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
I think Go Insane needs a reevaluation as well! I listened to it again and find it such an endearing album. He really made some fantastic solo album, even if everyone has their personal faves. You can't fault his vision.
I think Go Insane tends to be so overlooked, along with Law and Order, because it is so experimental. Some fans tend to stay close to what they know and the "Lindsey Brand", and to them it means the songs that sounds the most like they would have been released by Fleetwood Mac themselves. I've noticed this a lot in his fandom, where people can't really see past the Mac style to what Lindsey really is about. Personally, I feel that the more experimental he is, the more I can understand him as an artist, and thus the more endeared I am to him. Maybe, as a fellow artist, I can understand the need for striking out with "new canvases", rather than re-using the old and popular, and if a mess is created then it's all in the aid of experimentation. Go Insane and Law and Order feel almost like busy, idea filled sketchbooks to me.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Personally, I feel that the more experimental he is, the more I can understand him as an artist, and thus the more endeared I am to him. Maybe, as a fellow artist, I can understand the need for striking out with "new canvases", rather than re-using the old and popular, and if a mess is created then it's all in the aid of experimentation. Go Insane and Law and Order feel almost like busy, idea filled sketchbooks to me.
This is how I feel as well! Like, that quirky/strange side of Lindsey really jumps out at me. I'm a very artsy person and I really love to dig into a person's psyche with their creations, and Lindsey's far more left-field stuff really draws me in. I know some people don't care for that electric "Seeds We Sow" but when I hear it it's like hearing that side of Lindsey I love so much, as well as things like the Go Insane album and "My Little Demon." Honestly, there are a lot of different "Lindsey styles" and I can sincerely say I'm a fan of all of them, but that crazy wild side is something that makes him stand alone to me. It's the part of him that baffles me and makes me think, "Wow, how did he end up in Fleetwood Mac?"

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 09-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I'm flattered that someone doesn't think my taste in music is absolutely terrible! (Then again, my only experiences trying to share FM with people were playing LB CDs in the car with my mother (a Jethro Tull and Lionel Richie fan - yeah, I know) who started begging me to turn it off... and my stupid ex-boyfriend, who thought Tango was the most dated and horrible thing he'd ever heard...)

From Go Insane, I love I Want You (reminds me of Prince), Slow Dancing, I must Go, Play In The Rain continued (that's where it gets good), Bang The Drum (obviously), and parts of D.W. Suite. The sequencing is also perfect.

As a general rule, the more quirky and bizarre and unexpected something is, the more I tend to like it...
Old 09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sound and Vision Magazine, September 6, 2011
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/pho...ptember-6-2011

Lindsey Buckingham: Seeds We Sow (Mind Kit)
NEW RELEASE

With 2008’s Gift of Screws, Lindsey Buckingham proved he could make a vintage Fleetwood Mac-sounding album all (largely) by himself. This follow-up is a more typical Buckingham solo set — meaning that the pop mastery is still here, but the overall feel is darker and more insular. He does seem in a more downcast mood than usual, whether that’s due to romantic troubles, advancing age, or the state of the nation (the foreboding “End of Time” alludes to all three). And the best moments here are indeed melancholy: “When She Comes Down” echoes the soaringly sad feel of Mac’s “Walk a Thin Line,” and the closing cover, “She Smiled Sweetly,” has a verge-of-tears vocal that makes it more affecting than the Rolling Stones’ original. With nobody else in the studio, Buckingham alternates stripped-down acoustic numbers with full-band facsimiles. That said, even the loudest songs here — like the topical “One Take,” which includes one of his most ferocious guitar solos ever — don’t detract from the album’s late-night, down-there mood.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
It's the part of him that baffles me and makes me think, "Wow, how did he end up in Fleetwood Mac?"
Well, Nico, at that time, in 1974, Fleetwood Mac was going through yet another personnel change. Guitarist Bob Welch had given notice that he was going to quit and Mick Fleetwood was looking for a studio to cut the band's next album. Mick just happened to get talking to an acquaintance of his in an LA grocery store, Keith Olson, who mentioned a --

**gets yanked off with a hook for wasting everybody's time**
Old 09-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham, Eric Clapton & Wynton Marsalis, Red Hot Chili Peppers

New album reviews: Lindsey Buckingham, Eric Clapton & Wynton Marsalis, Red Hot Chili Peppers

Published: Monday, September 12, 2011, 6:06 AM
By Kevin O'Hare, The Republican

Lindsey Buckingham
Lindsey Buckingham, “Seeds We Sow” (Mindkit Records). 3 ˝ stars.

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton, “Play the Blues – Live from Jazz at Lincoln Center” (Reprise – CD/DVD). 3 ˝ stars.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, “I’m With You” (Warner Bros.) 3 stars.

Lindsey Buckingham, “Seeds We Sow” (Mindkit Records). 3 ˝ stars.

Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham is on this list as one of the Top 10 guitarists in the game, and certainly one of the most underrated.
His solo career has included several outstanding efforts like “Go Insane” and “Out of the Cradle” that have also often flown under the radar. “Seeds We Sow” deserves to be heard.

Buckingham’s sixth solo album and first self-release, features plenty of his fretboard virtuosity, whether it’s the rippling acoustic beauty heard on the title track or the finger-picking wizardry that rises to the top of “Stars Are Crazy.”

For fans of the mighty Mac, Buckingham offers several selections that will evoke echoes of the band that brought him to fame, namely the rockin’ “Tusk” styled “One Take,” the uptempo “That’s the Way That Love Goes” and the hook-filled big throttle of “Rock Away Blind.”

Guitar aficionados will find a lot to like about the first single, “In Our Own Time,” while the disc finishes with an imaginative cover of the Rolling Stones’ “She Smiled Sweetly.”

Tracks to download: “One Take” “In Our Own Time.”

For my 2008 interview with Lindsey Buckingham, click here.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Miami Herald, September 14, 2011
http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/1...ge-strait.html

  Lindsey Buckingham, Seeds We Sow (Mind Kit/Buckingham Records). ★ ★ ★ (standard CD version); ★ ★ ★ 1/2 (iTunes exclusive).

In May, Fleetwood Mac band mate Stevie Nicks released In Your Dreams, her best collection of songs in 30 years. Not to be outdone by an ex-girlfriend,Buckingham has delivered his finest batch of new songs since the Carter administration. The gorgeous and grandiose Seeds We Sow mines group efforts Tusk and Tango in the Night for musical inspiration but its raw, ebullient sound represents creative growth.

The infectious Sleeping Around the Corner, a must-have bonus track on the iTunes version, could fit snugly on Tusk but is more melodic and pop-friendly. The über-catchy standout Illumination would be the highlight on any post- Rumours Fleetwood Mac album.

Most impressively, with the exception of That’s the Way Love Goes, Buckingham plays every instrument, along with producing, writing and engineering. The one-man-band brings forth a wall of sound built on canyons of interwoven acoustic and electric guitars, distorted bass, layered voices and crisp percussion.Where this approach failed on previously indulgent solo efforts, Seeds We Sow is accessible and guided by a sure hand at pop craft.

Buckingham multitracks his voice into a choir to contrast the nervous, jumpy guitars, bass and drums on the edgy rocker One Take and, tense and restless as ever, he uses his electric guitar as a gouging knife on the furious hook of In Our Own Time. The shimmering, fast-plucked acoustic guitars on the lovely Rock Away Blind sound like his old song Never Going Back Again on speed. Buckingham’s new material is so good the only real throwaway is a cover of the Rolling Stones’ 1967 LP cut, She Smiled Sweetly.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/09/1...#ixzz1XyI20h8U
Old 09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Pulse, September 14, 2011
http://chattanoogapulse.com/music/ne...oacidu-suavak/

Lindsey Buckingham
Seeds We Sow
(Mind Kit)

Demonstrating one of the most successful band reboots ever, Fleetwood Mac evolved irregularly, going from a good-to-great British blues-rock group to a staggeringly popular rock/pop phenomenon, with the inclusion of Americans Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham in the mid-’70s. For the current generation of listeners, understanding why other ’70s phenomena were huge and important may be easier to fathom—ABBA spawned modern pop, and Led Zeppelin bridged the transition from blues-worship to hard rock.

But, understandably, Fleetwood Mac likely brings to mind, to vaguely informed youngsters, middle-of-the-road Californian soft rock and Stevie Nicks’s earthy long-dress mysticism. The multi-multi-platinum-selling album Rumours got most of the attention, but this writer maintains that the true masterpiece of the Fleetwood Mac reboot is the ambitious 1979 double-album Tusk, largely due to Lindsey Buckingham’s contributions; with home recording experimentation and bent pop conventions, his tracks were always a little off-center but never unpalatable.

Decades later, it’s comforting to know that Buckingham hasn’t rested nor given in to mediocrity, and his latest, Seeds We Sow, is actually the third in a run of solo releases in the last half-decade, following the excellent Under the Skin and Gift of Screws. With Buckingham’s own reboot (there’s a 14-year gap between Under the Skin and its predecessor), he has emerged with a style that highlights his acoustic guitar fingerpicking chops; this is apparent on the opening title track and throughout the album, like on “Stars Are Crazy,” with cascades of echoing note patterns.

As possibly hinted by its title, “In Our Own Time” is hard to place in a certain time period, with drum machine beats, jarring string-ensemble hits, and the trademark Buckingham pop-song nervousness. He shows a D.I.Y. spirit, releasing and recording Seeds We Sow by himself, and his home recordings are stark and clean but not shiny-slick, with everything up front. It may come as a surprise—a solid album with strong hooks and irresistible vocal harmonizing, showcasing Buckingham’s vitality as a veteran who refuses to go through the motions.