The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And all along, I thought that "Bob Welch saved FM".

Turns out it was Neil Finn.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
And all along, I thought that "Bob Welch saved FM".

Turns out it was Neil Finn.

He would stab himself in the eye socket with a knife before saying that Bob saved FMAC.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
He would stab himself in the eye socket with a knife before saying that Bob saved FMAC.
Only if he could sell tickets to the self eye gouging. I’d pay..
Old 07-17-2019, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Indeed two of my favorite parts:

Quote:
"We have a lot of fun," claims Mick. "What we see here is truly a lovely friendship. It's been a joy, and I think that's a lovely word to use."

Quote:
"Isn't it nice to think that you've been invited into someone's family because they're so fond of you," Neil explains. "That's what it feels like in Australia. It feels like I've been invited into Australian homes over the years and we've shared some pretty intimate times, so that's going to carry onto the stage I think."
Isn't Campbell part of the band too?

Right, because Neil Finn saved FM! Don't tell that to Stevie!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, that whole part about her getting him fired, because SHE NEVER WANTS TO BE ON THE SAME STAGE AS HIM. Yeah, that'll pass.
I bet people had the same reaction in 87' when they literally kicked the living sh*t out of each other. Stevie even said "my family will kill you."

People are reflective and forgiving. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I bet people had the same reaction in 87' when they literally kicked the living sh*t out of each other. Stevie even said "my family will kill you."

People are reflective and forgiving. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility.
$he was young then. People are more pliable. $he's a bitter old DIVA, now.

$he ain't back peddling on this one...
Old 07-17-2019, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
$he was young then. People are more pliable. $he's a bitter old DIVA, now.

$he ain't back peddling on this one...
There's a wife and kids between 1987 and 2019. And for that, she will never forgive him.

But for some fans it's easier to believe she still has some dignity. She doesn't.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
There's a wife and kids between 1987 and 2019. And for that, she will never forgive him.

But for some fans it's easier to believe she still has some dignity. She doesn't.
Absolutely. HE won the game of life(wife, kids, home life, and happiness), and $he HATES it. How dare he!
Old 07-17-2019, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Well he already said that:
After a few weeks, we began to get letters from Jeremy explaining what had happened; while we still hadn't gotten over the way he had left, both John and I would have taken him back if he had wanted it. Chris was much less enthusiastic about this, rightly so in retrospect. But neither Chris nor Danny wanted to continue without a third writer, and Clifford Davies had booked a British club tour beginning June 4, which gave us about a month to try and find a new world-class guitarist who could sing and write.
Judy Wong found him.
Bob Welch saved Fleetwood Mac. We hired him without an audition.

Fleetwood: My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood with Stephen Davis. 1990
Old 07-17-2019, 05:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
After a few weeks, we began to get letters from Jeremy explaining what had happened; while we still hadn't gotten over the way he had left, both John and I would have taken him back if he had wanted it. Chris was much less enthusiastic about this, rightly so in retrospect. But neither Chris nor Danny wanted to continue without a third writer, and Clifford Davies had booked a British club tour beginning June 4, which gave us about a month to try and find a new world-class guitarist who could sing and write.
Judy Wong found him.

Fleetwood: My Life and Adventures in Fleetwood Mac. Mick Fleetwood with Stephen Davis. 1990
That, of course, is the quote to which I was referring.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Judy Wong found him.

Without Bob, the band probably doesn't make it past 1975. He was the one who was at the forefront of saving/retaining the band's name then later moving from England to LA. It's unforgivable how Mick, John and Christine treated him after his departure. They all owe him a debt of gratitude. Then of course now this whole situation with Lindsey. Guess we all should have seen it coming.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak125 View Post
This interview aired on June 30th on a show called Sunday Night Stories. There is a video in the link at the bottom but it won't play for me.

Fleetwood Mac saved from break-up after Lindsey Buckingham's departure by new frontman Neil Finn

Despite one of the biggest bust-ups in music history, Fleetwood Mac is keeping the dream alive with new frontman Neil Finn - and a world tour that’s filling stadiums.

The break-ups and make-ups have made Fleetwood Mac's story one of the most captivating in all of rock and roll. It began half a century ago when Neil Finn was still primary school.

"It's like they've always existed in my head because I was very young when they started," Neil tells Rahni Sadler. "Some things you get used to always being there. I do remember Albatross as a young boy. As a song, that seemed to come from a magical place, like a fairytale or something."

Fleetwood Mac was also an influence on Neil as a performer. "When I joined Split Enz, we were in England and they did a live performance of Rhiannon. They were at their peak. It was the wildest, most intense performance I think I've seen. They were all just so in it, so vibrant. We all looked at each other and went, 'Wow.'"

Neil may be the latest addition to the Fleetwood Mac line-up, but he’s not the first by a long shot.

Christine McVie was a very early recruit. She left a group called Chicken Shack in 1970. For the most part, Christine shuns the limelight, but on the eve of the Australian tour, she agreed to a rare interview.

"I wanted to spend more time with my husband," Christine explains. "We were meeting each other on the doorstep - he was going to Germany, I was just coming home. We never saw each other."

Four years later, American Lindsey Buckingham was offered a gig as a guitarist - but he wouldn’t sign on unless Fleetwood Mac also took his singer-songwriter girlfriend Stevie Nicks.

"Lindsay said, 'She’s coming too, so either you take both of us or I can’t join your band,'" Stevie recalls. "The rest is history - and to be continued."

With fame came new pressures on all of the relationships in the band. The spectacularly successful 1977 album Rumours was the product of catastrophic breakups. Christine and John McVie separated, as did Stevie and Lindsey. Even Mick split with his wife.

The couples wrote about their experiences. The tension played out on and off-stage every night.

"You have to avoid certain rooms during the time of the breakups," explains Christine. "I think Mick was getting divorced as well. There were certain rooms you could go in and you knew you'd be safe, other rooms you avoided like that plague."

Christine McVie wrote one of her big hits, You Make Loving Fun, about a member of the crew she was seeing after she broke up with John.

"Fortunately I didn't have to look at him when I sang it, because he was off to the side. He knew who it was written about, and I suppose it was difficult at first."

"I adore John and he adores me, and we have fought just because we've had to work it through. I mean, Stevie and Lindsey just couldn't unfortunately. It was fire versus fire with them, but John and I just handled it in a much more humorous way. He's very dear to me."

At the peak of their fame in the late 70s, they were the biggest band in the world, and they admit to enjoying all the trappings of fame. These days, however, things are a little more subdued.

"[It's] almost like a kindergarten now," laughs Christine. "Perrier water only. We're clean, clean, clean. Everybody. Those days are gone."

Through the decades, Fleetwood Mac continued to tour and record hit albums, despite an ever-changing line-up. Lindsey Buckingham left the band for a while, as did Stevie Nicks. They eventually returned in 1997.

Christine McVie got tired of airports and suitcases and quit to live a quieter life in the UK. Stevie was heartbroken.

"You look into somebody’s eyes and you can’t say, 'Oh you can’t do that,'" says Stevie. "She was serious and she was going home, and that was it."

But after 15 years, Christine got bored with country living and made a triumphant return.

"[I had] terrible stage fright," Christine admits. "The thing about stage fright, as soon as you hear the audience response, the adrenaline kind of soothes any kind of fear. You just realise there's so many people there that want to see you and want to enjoy themselves with you."

Fleetwood Mac was together again, and seemed destined to spend their golden years onstage as a family. But in April last year, Lindsey Buckingham was fired from the band.

They claim that Lindsey couldn’t agree on tour dates, but Lindsey says he was told that Stevie was angry at him for smirking at her during an awards acceptance speech.

"It did have to happen," explains Mick Fleetwood. "It’s no secret that it was a challenge on Lindsey’s part, Stevie’s part and sometimes within the band. That is not off the radar, and Lindsey would acknowledge that. We weren’t happy, and there were things that happened that lead to that decision that we acknowledged as a band. It was heavy and sad, and we thought that that was it, in terms of this band continuing."

I have nothing but respect and I love the guy, but time moves on," says Christine. "Things can’t be sorted. It was something that just couldn’t be worked out, and so we had to move on."

Mick Fleetwood invited Neil to meet the band, and right away they hit it off.

"We have a lot of fun," claims Mick. "What we see here is truly a lovely friendship. It's been a joy, and I think that's a lovely word to use."

Still, Neil admits that such a big change in a beloved band is a huge thing for fans to get used to.

"I think of it through their eyes," says Neil. "I go, 'God, this must be strange, watching me up here with Fleetwood Mac.' It is strange [but] good."

"If you think you're going to end up being able to live your life in a little contained box where all the things add up the same every day, then I think you're not getting the most out of life. If you're open to surprises and opportunities when they come and you can see the potential in them - which is how it felt to me - then that's living, and that's keeping a band together ultimately as well."

Fleetwood Mac is well-known for its tumultuous romantic and professional relationships - often very publicly. But that was before the band called in Neil Finn.

Fleetwood Mac has been entertaining the world for more than fifty years. Their fans span three generations and fill the biggest stadiums. While Neil Finn’s arrival has been well-received, he doesn't strictly consider himself a lifelong member of the band.

"I wouldn't want to put a date on it because I am the youngest in the band. I've been the youngest in the band before, with Split Enz. It meant I had to go and get the sandwiches at lunchtime," Neil laughs. "They haven't put me on that yet as the youngest."

"[I'm] really enjoying my spell in here, and I have Crowded House like a lovely old car up on blocks in the garage. You can just get it out with a bit of a tinker for a spin."

There’s one Crowded House classic that gets a spin every night with Fleetwood Mac.

'I have the joy of hearing Stevie join me on it towards the end. It's a really nice moment.'
"It is amazing and really gratifying to find that the audiences everywhere have been singing to Don't Dream It's Over," says Neil. "It's definitely a song that has crossed a lot of boundaries, and there doesn't seem to be any strangeness in having a foreign item in the set. I have the joy of hearing Stevie join me on it towards the end. It's a really nice moment."

"It used to be cigarette lighters, now it's phone lights," Christine says fondly. "They love it, and they love him."

When Fleetwood Mac tours Down Under soon, it’s possible there’ll be a few more Neil Finn songs thrown in by this much-loved adopted Aussie.

"Isn't it nice to think that you've been invited into someone's family because they're so fond of you," Neil explains. "That's what it feels like in Australia. It feels like I've been invited into Australian homes over the years and we've shared some pretty intimate times, so that's going to carry onto the stage I think."

https://7news.com.au/sunday-night/fl...-finn-c-189014
Thanks for this!

I couldn't get either of the video clips in the article to work either. I was curious to be able to hear Christine's tone of voice, and demeanor, when she says the bit about Lindsey "I have nothing but respect and I love the guy, but time moves on," says Christine. "Things can’t be sorted. It was something that just couldn’t be worked out, and so we had to move on."

It sort of smacks of "we've moved on, so why can't he just move on". Maybe it doesn't play that way when you can hear her say.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kak125, thank you for transcribing that but can I ask you one favor?

"Lindsay said, 'She’s coming too, so either you take both of us or I can’t join your band,'" Stevie recalls. "The rest is history - and to be continued."

Can you change the "a" to an "e" and then I will delete this particular post. You got it right in all his mentions after this one though.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Judy Wong found him.

I'm talking about in this interview. But, thanks. Yes, I do remember that.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post

Funny you should mention that. I can't help recalling in Mick's book how Stevie cried and begged Lindsey not to leave. Oh how times have changed...