User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Registered

Default Montreal's PITBULL Ban

I just cancelled my plans to go there

Update, Sept. 27, 2016, 5:13 p.m.: On Tuesday afternoon, Montreal’s city council passed this deeply flawed piece of legislation by a 37–23 vote. A spokesperson for the SPCA Montreal tells Slate that this law goes into effect on Monday, Oct. 3.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...578914ded99bd5

The new bylaw will define pit bulls as:

Staffordshire bull terriers.
American pit bull terriers.
American Staffordshire terriers.
Any mix with these breeds.
Any dog that presents characteristics of one of those breeds.

Under the law, people who own dogs deemed pit bulls have until March to undergo a criminal background check and pay $150 for a special permit. Their dog will have to be sterilized, vaccinated and microchipped — as well as muzzled and on a 4-foot leash at all times in public.

"There are a lot of low-income and homeless people in Montreal who simply won't be able to afford all of the criteria they need in order to get the special permit," Devine told The Dodo. "Those dogs will have to be seized and have to be euthanized."
Old 09-29-2016, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

We have had a pit bull ban in Miami-Dade county for 20 years
Other counties in Florida allow you to own a pit bull but require you to have $250,000 worth of liability insurance.
Old 09-29-2016, 04:22 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
We have had a pit bull ban in Miami-Dade county for 20 years
Other counties in Florida allow you to own a pit bull but require you to have $250,000 worth of liability insurance.
If you cannot pay the fee they will take the dog and destroy it even if it isn't a pitbull and resembles one

And they really need to stop going after this breed and they really need to go after that responsible owners it's not just them Labrador retriever golden retriever owners they are the two breeds that are the biggest biters right now

Last edited by olive; 09-29-2016 at 04:26 PM..
Old 09-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Registered

This is from Cyndi Lauper's Facebook page a petition to put an end to this ridiculous bill

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions...s-all-dog.html
Old 09-29-2016, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thats discrimination against dog breeds. Its not the dogs fault .Its the idiot owners that let them go wild.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 09-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Thats discrimination against dog breeds. Its not the dogs fault .Its the idiot owners that let them go wild.
Exactly they tried to do this and Boston but not the murdering of the dogs .. what it came down to was decided it was discrimination against one breed and not all
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive View Post
Exactly they tried to do this and Boston but not the murdering of the dogs .. what it came down to was decided it was discrimination against one breed and not all
Yes I agree.Whats next.Some place will ban a breed of cats because they meow to loud.Now I see the apartment ads in the paper saying only small dogs and cats are allowed.Stevie's dog size will be allowed but a Greyhound and St Barnard are not.As that article says .They are treating the dog as a weapon.The owner should be responsible watching that dog like he/she owns a gun. The owner at times should be muzzled and on a 4-foot leash if they keep getting away of it.I wonder what they think about snakes up there.

Here in Wallyworld all dogs got to be licensed and have all shots and on a leashed plus a pooper scooper to clean up his/her mess according to the towns ordinance Also the police hand out barking tickets here too ..Theres probably more but I dont know at the moment.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Meh. Unpopular opinion, but these bans serve the public. The breed has a well deserved reputation for violence, severe bodily injury and even killing children and the elderly and other dogs. It isn't without reason.

They're untrustworthy, and seem to be the favored dog of white-trash Americans who hate their neighbors and the government. (totally sterotyping there, but hey - I call it like I see it)

I get that breed bans are unfair for lovers of the breed, but its not about you. Its about the rest of us who don't trust pits, don't want them in our neighborhoods, and don't want them in our dog parks.

504 documented attacks going back to 1883. You can look at pictures of many of the children they killed - see their faces - and maybe understand why these bans happen.

Sorry, but a few bad apples have ruined it for the rest of you.

http://www.fatalpitbullattacks.com/

For example:

Quote:
Hunter died of “sharp and blunt force wounds of the neck” and “multiple blunt and sharp force injuries of [his] head,” states the medical examiner’s report. Injuries to his head and face included “sharp and blunt force wounds” inflicted on the boy’s face and scalp. The pit bull repeatedly attacked the boy until it executed the killing bite. Our hearts go out to Hunter’s father, who will live with witnessing the horrific destruction this pit bull inflicted on his son for the rest of his life.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 10-05-2016 at 03:53 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the behaviour of a Pit Bull has a lot to do with how the owner treats/and or train's it.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 10-05-2016 at 04:25 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Meh. Unpopular opinion, but these bans serve the public. The breed has a well deserved reputation for violence, severe bodily injury and even killing children and the elderly and other dogs. It isn't without reason.

They're untrustworthy, and seem to be the favored dog of white-trash Americans who hate their neighbors and the government. (totally sterotyping there, but hey - I call it like I see it)

I get that breed bans are unfair for lovers of the breed, but its not about you. Its about the rest of us who don't trust pits, don't want them in our neighborhoods, and don't want them in our dog parks.

504 documented attacks going back to 1883. You can look at pictures of many of the children they killed - see their faces - and maybe understand why these bans happen.

Sorry, but a few bad apples have ruined it for the rest of you.

http://www.fatalpitbullattacks.com/

For example:

I don't own a Pit Bull and I don't hate the goverment, although my neighbour is a bit of an a**hole and I can't stand him.

Last edited by ~*BellaDonna*~; 10-05-2016 at 04:35 PM..
Old 10-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*BellaDonna*~ View Post
I don't own a Pit Bull and I don't hate the goverment, although my neighbour is a bit of an a**hole and I can't stand him.

Honestly, I don't hate pits. My mom has one. Charlie - very lovable..to people at least. Big lug. But, I completely understand the municipal bans. I live in Denver, and we have a pit ban. The only way around it is with registered service dogs. Seized pits that violate the ban are also destroyed, like in Montreal.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 10-05-2016, 09:00 PM
llb

They just halted the ban indefinitely in Montreal. Good news.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do not care for pit bulls, and am also glad to not live in Florida.
Old 10-06-2016, 06:23 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by llb View Post
They just halted the ban indefinitely in Montreal. Good news.
thankfully this was the worst written bill , killing them and /0r any dog resembling them

Last edited by olive; 10-06-2016 at 06:51 AM..
Old 10-06-2016, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not really a fan of that breed of dogs.Atlease that they halted the law on them for now.Just heard on the radio the other day that somebody got busted for breeding pit bulls for fighting contests .Good .Lock the SOB up.