User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
guess you would be one of those rare people who would not like lindsey's one-man tour?

i LOVE to hear his non sped-up, regular, warm voice, and i know i'm not alone in this.

all songs on the soundtrack are Jon Brion production.
Well didn't say i do not like it. Though i do not like it .
It's weird but i LOVE his voice live, but when it comes to studio recordings, i think his voice is too..raw?..to really express all the..shades?..it needs to express on songs like, say, seeds we sow.
Or maybe (and that's probably it) i'm just too used to it.cause i used to complain too.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
That could be lethal. What if they stumble upon Johnny Stew first? I remember you once stating something about how your family was looking cringe worthy when you subjected them to Lindsey's music one day.
I don't remember anything about my family and Lindsey per se, but I had so many free copies of Under the Skin, because you got one with every ticket purchase. And I gave one to my boss, who was a guitarist, and he gave it back and said that he just couldn't get into the album because of Lindsey's vocal manipulations.

When Gift of Screws came out, I wasn't even working for him anymore, but we were still on the same floor and I had actually avoided the firm. I would never go to their corridor for any reason, but I wanted him to hear the new album so badly that I went down the hall and gave him a copy and told him Lindsey's vocals were not as manipulated on GoS and it was better than UTS. I don't think he agreed. I don't think I ever tried to turn him onto OOTC. Maybe I should have. Lindsey sometimes made it hard to proselytize on his behalf.

Of course, maybe my boss was just shallow. I remember giving him Live in Boston and he said it was good, but asked me why Stevie was wearing those Reebok boots. He said they were distracting. I would expect someone who considered himself a guitar afficionado to find other things to notice on the DVD.

Michele
Old 11-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David Wild ‏@Wildaboutmusic

Listening to #LindseyBuckingham's cool contributions to the great soundtrack to @JuddApatow's #ThisIs40, including a track w/ @NorahJones

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hear Lindsey's New Songs

Song samples of the "This is 40" soundtrack are now available on Amazon.com. Of the Lindsey tracks, I am digging "She Acts Like You" the most. It also sounds like Lindsey is doing background vocals on Norah Jones' "Always Judging." Also, the guitar might be Lindsey too. I think Norah is pretty dull, but this song sounds great.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockawayBlind View Post
Song samples of the "This is 40" soundtrack are now available on Amazon.com. Of the Lindsey tracks, I am digging "She Acts Like You" the most. It also sounds like Lindsey is doing background vocals on Norah Jones' "Always Judging." Also, the guitar might be Lindsey too. I think Norah is pretty dull, but this song sounds great.
agree about the guitar on Norah Jones song probably being LB.

we did actually discuss this here http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=50976

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I prefer Lindsey's live voice over his studio recordings any day.
Me too!

I really liked all three. I was actually surprised when I listened to the snippets! It seems the songs are very much catered to the movie, in that they sound very light/pop/"indie-pretty" (I can't recall who said that earlier in the posts, but I like it ). I love that NEW music from LB is in this main stream movie - I think She Acts Like You is my favorite right now, but I actually really like Brother & Sister too.

I was really hoping for FM to record together, but now... Idk, I'm tired of the struggles lol. If it happens fine, but all I know is that LB better come out with some more solo stuff ASAP if Stevie doesn't want to record. These new songs have made me really excited about his future projects again! (Not that SWS wasn't fabulous)
Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default New Lindsey songs - This is 40; what about new FM songs?

Hello all---

A friend who's a newspaper music writer in a major US city told me about this release, and he received a copy of the soundtrack to review, so hopefully it will lead to a little more press for Lindsey.

I haven't heard the full songs yet, just the edits, but I'm enthusiastic about the fact that Lindsey worked with Jon Brion.

Jon is fantastically talented as a composer and musician---he's one of those prodigies who can literally play anything. But, unlike a lot of super-skilled musicians, he also has great restraint and fantastic pop sense. He knows a hook, not in the bubblegum sense of the word but in the classic pop sense. In other words, he's a student of The Beatles, The Kinks, Brian Wilson, and many other classic pop acts. Brion appears to be the musical director/producer for This is 40, and he has produced an unusual group of acts in the past: Aimee Mann, the Finn Brothers [ex Crowded House/Split Enz], Kanye West, Fiona Apple, Spoon, and more.

He also is also fiercely unpredictable. His regular shows at Largo in LA are legendary for their lack of a set list. I've not seen him personally, but I've heard recordings of them and read many reviews---you literally never know what you're going to hear at one of his shows. He does his own material [from his excellent album, Meaningless, and his soundtracks] as well as unreleased originals and cover tunes, and he often takes requests.

So, Jon and Lindsey have something in common---they are both outstanding musicians who are frustrated with parts of the music industry. But they differ in one important way---Brion enjoys playing without a net, while Lindsey clearly prefers to meticulously plan out his performances and recordings. Because of that important difference, I’m eager to hear more about how their collaboration took place.

Lindsey and the others mentioned that FM reunited recently for some recording sessions at Lindsey’s house, and I’m wondering now if perhaps Brion was involved in those sessions as well. I know things change, but a few years ago, didn’t Lindsey make a few comments about how, if the band did any more recording, they’d have to bring in an outside producer?

At the time, I hoped that they would work with Rick Rubin. I still think he’d be the best man for the job, and he has a knack for making established acts sound fresh and new again.

But if Rubin isn’t available or interested, Brion is a great back-up.

Regards,
matt
Old 12-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Lindsey and the others mentioned that FM reunited recently for some recording sessions at Lindsey’s house, and I’m wondering now if perhaps Brion was involved in those sessions as well. I know things change, but a few years ago, didn’t Lindsey make a few comments about how, if the band did any more recording, they’d have to bring in an outside producer?

At the time, I hoped that they would work with Rick Rubin. I still think he’d be the best man for the job, and he has a knack for making established acts sound fresh and new again.

But if Rubin isn’t available or interested, Brion is a great back-up.

Regards,
matt
Lindsey did bring in an outside producer for those sessions, but it was not Jon Brion. It was Micthell Froom.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Froom

Quote:
Lindsey did bring in an outside producer for those sessions, but it was not Jon Brion. It was Micthell Froom.
Well, isn't that interesting!

Froom is a very talented producer, though quite different from Rubin. You know, though...in some ways, he's not that different from Brion. They've also worked together in the past.

Froom has produced fantastic, career-defining records for artists like Los Lobos and Crowded House, and he's also worked with Bonnie Raitt, Sheryl Crow, Paul McCartney, Richard Thompson, Elvis Costello, Randy Newman, and many more.

Curiously, he's a remarkably talented keyboardist and arranger, so I wonder if he played keys on the sessions?

And didn't Mitch play keys on one song on OOTC? I don't have the liner notes in front of me...

Not that I don't trust you, but where did you hear this information?

Thanks,
matt
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Not that I don't trust you, but where did you hear this information?

Thanks,
matt
Lindsey's been yapping his head off about Froom in interviews, giving quotes that have been repeated in media outlets all across the nation. Last week we could barely breathe due to the inundation.

Michele
Old 12-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Guys,

Most of us don't want to buy the entire album, but do not ask for anyone to post MP3 links or to send you the MP3s. It's commercially available music.

Do not put up posts asking to exchange commercially available music. Lindsey has 3 songs on it. He seems to appear on Norah's too. That makes four tracks worth owning. The album is $9.99 on Itunes.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin View Post
He seems to appear on Norah's too. That makes four tracks worth owning. The album is $9.99 on Itunes.
he does. i just received my hard copy, and he's credited on liner notes for guitar and backing vocals on Always Judging.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey's been yapping his head off about Froom in interviews, giving quotes that have been repeated in media outlets all across the nation. Last week we could barely breathe due to the inundation.
Well, thanks for setting me straight, Michele! Obviously, I haven't kept up as I should. I've read several interviews with Lindsey and Stevie, but this is the first I've heard of Froom's involvement.

matt
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he does. i just received my hard copy, and he's credited on liner notes for guitar and backing vocals on Always Judging.
Sometimes Itunes will provide a digital copy of the liner notes, but I didn't get one.

Michele
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default ASCAP website - new Lindsey song listings

Hello all---

When I hear about new music coming from my favorite artists, I usually check the publishing websites to see if there is any information to be found. I found the following on ascap.com:

• BROTHER & SISTER
Work ID: 884059150
ISWC: T9119259619
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
Performers
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY

• FAMILY PARTY
Work ID: 881744288
ISWC: T9050277128
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
DASHUT RICHARD
BMI
Publishers / Administrators
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
ASCAP
NOW SOUNDS MUSIC

• I WANNA WAIT FOR YOU [assume this is "Wait for You"]
Work ID: 393354351
ISWC: T9012515912
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
Performers
LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM

• IM A JAZZ MAN
Work ID: 881744311
ISWC: T9050272327
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
DASHUT RICHARD
BMI
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
ASCAP

• PEAKIN'
Work ID: 460437312
ISWC: Not Assigned
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
PIZZEY AMOS ALEXANDER GEORGE

• SHE ACTS LIKE YOU
Work ID: 884059098
ISWC: T9119284989
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP

• SICK OF YOU
Work ID: 884059151
ISWC: T9119304846
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP

• STOP
Work ID: 883103085
ISWC: Not Assigned
Writers
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
BUCKINGHAM LINDSEY
ASCAP
INNIS ISOM DAVID
BMI
MOHAGER KAMTIN KARIMI
BMI
Performers
THE CHAIN GANG OF 1974
IPI #
Current
Affiliation
ASCAP

So, it looks like Lindsey is the sole composer for the three new songs.

With regard to the new FM songs, there's no listing for “Sad Angela” or “Miss Fantasy.” I still love “My Little Demon” and lament the fact that a proper studio version hasn’t been released. For that matter, I’d be completely okay with Christine returning for a one-off reunion on a band studio version of “Temporary One.”

matt