Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-07-2004, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default DC so far

Well, I've been in DC for nearly two weeks now. I'm just a small town girl now living life in a city....it's been a transition all right, I'm not liking the having to walk SO much....especially when I have to get groceries and things...it's cool though...there's a lot to do....

NPR is a blast, but I find I'm still star struck (I feel like SUCH a geek) lol...I mean, twice today Nina Totenberg walked by my cublicle and I've had lovely conversations with Linda Wertheimer and Susan Stamberg. Bob Edwards' replacement, Steve Inskeep, is really nice and very good looking...Noah Adamns and I were on the same elevator platform the other day, and while eating lunch on the rooftop I spotted Melissa Block. These names will mean nothing to you unless you're as big a public radio geek as I am.

My mission is to meet Anne Garrels. Unfortunately she does not have an office at NPR, since she's a correspondant....and she's leaving for Baghdad in around a month I think...but she wrote a great book, and I really want to met her and have her sign it....

So anyway...now it appears I may be re-locating to the east on a more permanent basis...both job leads I have are here in the east...it's an exciting time...just thought I'd share my thoughts at the moment
Old 06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
Well, I've been in DC for nearly two weeks now. I'm just a small town girl now living life in a city....it's been a transition all right, I'm not liking the having to walk SO much....especially when I have to get groceries and things...it's cool though...there's a lot to do....

NPR is a blast, but I find I'm still star struck (I feel like SUCH a geek) lol...I mean, twice today Nina Totenberg walked by my cublicle and I've had lovely conversations with Linda Wertheimer and Susan Stamberg. Bob Edwards' replacement, Steve Inskeep, is really nice and very good looking...Noah Adamns and I were on the same elevator platform the other day, and while eating lunch on the rooftop I spotted Melissa Block. These names will mean nothing to you unless you're as big a public radio geek as I am.

My mission is to meet Anne Garrels. Unfortunately she does not have an office at NPR, since she's a correspondant....and she's leaving for Baghdad in around a month I think...but she wrote a great book, and I really want to met her and have her sign it....

So anyway...now it appears I may be re-locating to the east on a more permanent basis...both job leads I have are here in the east...it's an exciting time...just thought I'd share my thoughts at the moment
Hey girl!! I was wondering how you were doing over here in the east. I'm glad things are going well for you and that you're enjoying yourself. Very cool about the job prospects. Keep us posted!!!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thanks for telling us, I was wondering too.

I'm star struck just reading your post! Bob Edwards is a correspondent now, isn't he? I think he's promoting his Murrow book, too. If you run into him you'll have to tell him about Lindsey's song!

It all sounds so exciting!

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I do like DC. There is so much to see and do. AND NPR must be exciting and intellectually stimulating, esp. if all of those GREAT shows they do are recorded there, etc. Have fun AND be sure and see all the sights!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 06-08-2004, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar
Thanks for telling us, I was wondering too.

I'm star struck just reading your post! Bob Edwards is a correspondent now, isn't he? I think he's promoting his Murrow book, too. If you run into him you'll have to tell him about Lindsey's song!

It all sounds so exciting!
Yes, Bob Edwards is no longer the host of Morning Edition, which has spurred anger throughout the US...crazy stuff. I haven't met him yet because he's currently on a book tour, but he's going to be in DC sometime next month, hopefully I will meet him then.

Well, they've assigned each intern to a person...my fellow Morning Edition intern got assigned to Steve Inskeep, I've been assigned to Juan Williams, who is also out on a book tour at the moment...fun stuff..

Anyway, DC is a cool city, so far I've toured the zoo, I wanted to see the Pandas, unfortunately the day I was there they were shy and nowhere to be seen I've also walked around Dupont Circle with my friend that lives here, who is currently making his living as a stripper...crazy! I have yet to go to the Smithsonians or Capitol Hill, but I've got all summer, hopefully this weekend I'll make it to a Smithsonian or something...
Old 06-08-2004, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

LOL - you are witnessing live from the literary eilite to the cash laden prurient Have a blast!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world