Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2002, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Silver Springs

Hello fellow Ledgies... You know, I've been listening to "Silver Springs"
ALOT lately....(Going through a messy relationship thang....AND
be it as it may, I feel that this song is just so powerful and amazing...
Both the original and the Dance versions....What does it make YOU
think about?
Old 08-18-2002, 01:49 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 08-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE THIS SONG !!!!. It is my favourite Mac song of all time. The Lyrics are so profound. Watching Stevie sing her heart out on the live version for "The Dance" is worth the price of the movie/DVD/CD/Cassette alone.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE Silver Springs....definitely one of my favorite Stevie/FM songs. But I really don't think of anything other than SnL when I hear it. lol, If I'd never watched her sing it to him, it might be different. My favorite version (to watch) has to be the Landover show. Just awesome.

~~Angela~~
Old 08-18-2002, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Me?

What does this song make me think about? Me, doing the same thing you're doing, about 11 years ago.

I was in London. I was planning to stay because of this guy I'd met. I know now he was kinda a twit, but at the time I was just so taken. I blame it on London too; I was just so in love with everything. Anyway, he shows up at my flat one day and says it's over. He can't explain, and he's VERY sorry, but he just can't and he walks out. I stand there for a while as it all sinks in, and then I take off up the street after him (he had come in on the Tube and he was walking back to the station). I get to him about three-quarters of the way there and pull him into a side street. God knows what I said. Demanding explanations, pleading for explanations...it wasn't pretty and it wasn't dignified. In the end I got nothing, it was still over, and he pretty much left me in that side street the same way he left me in the flat.

After about a week, after all the phone calls and all the ulterior motives it finally hit me that this was REALLY over. I had no idea what to do next. I sat in my bedroom and pulled out the trusty homemade Fleetwood Mac tapes I made to take across the ocean with me and found "Silver Springs". I listened to it over and over and cried and cried. I had heard people talk about "crying for days" and wondered how that could be. Now I knew.

The great thing about this song is that it is so empowering when you feel you're at your lowest. This song is about having your heart broken, "being shattered" as a certain Englishman used to say, but not being weak or helpless. It's about knowing you're gonna be OK even though you're hurting now. It's about planning for the future, whatever that may be.

So sorry to hear about your "mess". The days keep coming and you just get through them. I'm guessing that since you're listening to "Silver Springs" things are kinda final. Try these words on too, "Every night that goes between/ I feel a little less..." You do. You really do.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 08-18-2002, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Haunting story.

The song makes me think about my own "stories" too... like my past troubled relationship I had with this girl that was dating another guy besides me... of course that was not pleasant. When we broke up I told her I never wanted to see her again, mainly because of the bad memories and stuff. She rejected it, and since we were former classmates it was kind of 'easy' to get back and try friendship again... I felt like I was "never getting away" from her... On the other side, I would have loved to "cast a spell on her" so she would never forget me...

But things are waaaaay better now and I really wish her all the best. Because I've now found my new angel. Still, "Silver Springs" recalls all those anxious feelings of the time and turns them into a beautiful, haunting song... one of the better if not the best contributions by Stevie to Fleetwood Mac.

Song of the moment - Emerald Eyes
Old 08-20-2002, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Of course, I have always loved this song.... My main memory attached to it is this:

Late summer '97. I was getting ready for work with the tee-vee on VH1. I was ironing my shirt. Crap video, crap video, crap video, commercial, commericial- flip the channel.... Come back to the channel. At that instant the piano downbeat happened on a darkened screen.....

I FREAKED!!! I howled at the top of my lungs and fell to my knees in front of the set entranced for the next four + minutes....

Tears and tears and MORE tears (those kind that just run out of your wide open eyes with your mouth agape) were streaming down my face when she started in with the "give me just a chance...."

WOW - WOW - WOW!!! Whatta performance.... I'm really surprised she didn't lose it....
Old 08-20-2002, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Um... tears were streaming down your face at something on teevee and it wasn't on Sept. 11th?

Well I don't get it, sounds like a religion and not a music group to me, but I probably am rude to say, whereas it is okay to gush and exaggerate. I've learned some things here but not always what I expect I guess.

People post about these singers they really don't know as if they are part of their real life (and I watch a couple soaps still), and I am uncomfortable with some of it. I have never ever listened to or watched any music that made me weep or fall to my knees or any of this, hoping it is exaggeration. I don't get the whole Elvis hysteria and keeping his toenail clippings, and I think some are building Miss Nicks up into some kind of cult figure and I don't know what to make of it that can be positive or interesting, but then I am not a real fan or collector of memorabila (nobody is allowed to forget some of these people) or any of that serious stuff I guess.
Old 08-20-2002, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by becca

Well I don't get it, sounds like a religion and not a music group to me, but I probably am rude to say, whereas it is okay to gush and exaggerate. I've learned some things here but not always what I expect I guess.

People post about these singers they really don't know as if they are part of their real life (and I watch a couple soaps still), and I am uncomfortable with some of it. I have never ever listened to or watched any music that made me weep or fall to my knees or any of this, hoping it is exaggeration. I don't get the whole Elvis hysteria and keeping his toenail clippings, and I think some are building Miss Nicks up into some kind of cult figure and I don't know what to make of it that can be positive or interesting, but then I am not a real fan or collector of memorabila (nobody is allowed to forget some of these people) or any of that serious stuff I guess.
Well, I don't know about you- but lots of music (not just "Silver Springs") has moved me to tears at one moment or another. Music really stirs my soul- it doesn't have anything to do with worship, toenails, blah, blah- and it CERTAINLY doesn't have anything to do with the idea that performers are part of my life... .

My post was primarily about the fact that I know that FM was doing some kind of reunion thing over the summer of '97. I had no clue what material they were going to do- and like a lot of other fans, I was really hoping for something different. "Silver Springs" was a TOTAL surprise to me. My reaction was more out of shock and pleasant surprise than out of worship or soap opera drivel.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

"Silver Springs" has moved me to tears too Tower... I've seen grown men
who aren't even Fleetwood Mac fans, get watery eyed towards the
end of that song Great art - both visual and audial does have
the ability to evoke emotion (not worship!) out of the viewer/listener.
The thing with me personally though is that I'm kinda a "hard ass"
I like NEVER cry at movies, although have been "moved" by many, as well
as paintings, books, what-have-you... There just seems to be something
almost univeral though with that end part of "Silver Springs"...it just
gets you every time
Old 08-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Heart

OMG, i LOVE this song. i was just saying that earlier today, actually,lol. it's one of my favorite FM/Stevie songs.....it's just so GOOD! i don't really have a personal story to go with it, like some of you.....but it just reminds me of S&L....and basically the entire FM story. it's just so filled with pain and anger and all sorts of emotion.....it's so INTENSE! i LOVE it!!!! lol
Oh, steal your heart away~
Old 08-20-2002, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Great song!

I think "Silver Springs" is such a great song from that Dance album is because you can hear the emotion pouring out and it draws you in. When I heard that one on the car radio a few times, I went out and bought "The Dance" for it. Just that one song! That's saying something, since I'm cheap, and usually have a "4 good songs" requirement for CDs I buy.

Since at that time I didn't know anything about Fleetwood Mac, Stevie or Lindsey or what had gone on between them, it wasn't about that. It was about that emotional intensity that immediately struck a chord. Still one of my favorite songs.

Old 08-21-2002, 06:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Since I was an adolescent with no money when Rumours was released, I was given the LP as a gift and never got the single for GYOW. I heard about the elusive and beautiful Silver Springs over the years, but I had never heard it. I even recall hearing the murmurings about Stevie wanting to put it on her Timespsace CD, and it fell through. All these things made me curious about the song.
By the 90's I had moved on musically, and was listening to alot of other artists, and even though I thought Stevie was amazing I really was not into her then. Sadly, I thought she was at the end of her career and had just gone away. No, I'm not some really zoned out Stevie freak worshipping at a shrine like several people have suggested, just a long-time fan who admires good word-smithing, and Stevie is great at that.
The whole Reunion thing was well underway by the time I heard about it, and suddenly there was that song again. I was very moved when I finally heard it. The imagery is very crisp and cool, and soft and warm all at the same time. She has a way of laying a lyric over a melody that blows my mind. You think it will never work, and that she will never get all those words in there, but she does, and sounds wicked. I love it.