Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Everybody Finds Out is underrated. I wonder if it would have been a hit if it was released in the eighties.

Michele
That should have been the first single from Say You Will. Everything about that song is perfection...lyrics, music, arrangements, production, singing, background vocals, etc. It shows that Lindsey and the Mac still have some magic beans left which really makes me look forward to the new record. I hope they take their time on it too.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I love Heart of Stone!
The first time I heard it, I was in a meeting with a very mean boss. She was talking and all I could think was, "Is this Christine McVie??????"

"It is!!" OMG what is that?? It was playing over the office intercom.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The first time I heard it, I was in a meeting with a very mean boss. She was talking and all I could think was, "Is this Christine McVie??????"

She was your spirit animal that day!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
She was your spirit animal that day!
It was so blissful because I didn't expect any new music from them. I didn't know that the box set would have new songs.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I wonder if some of these "overrated" songs are really overrated, or just overplayed, over exposed so that there's nothing new or fresh left in them and so they become kinda boring.
Whereas part of the appeal of all these other songs is that we haven't heard them to death.
You're probably right. I think Dreams is overrated- to the point I hate listening to it. When I think about it though, I have to admit its really very nice. Its so simple and yet its quite possibly Lindsey Buckinghams finest ever moment. He did a 'Big Bang' and made something out of nothing. If I was to think about what it would sound like if I was hearing it for the very first time I'm sure I'd think it was brilliant...

...and yet, I've heard it a thousand and something times. It bores me absolutely sh!tless
Old 01-21-2016, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Underrated:
Hold Me: A fantastic song, but noone, not even the Macs themselves seem to appreciate it like it should be.

Bermuda Triangle: (and many other songs Bob Welch did with FM), the Live version from the Bermuda Triangle Bootleg is fantastic, a musical treasure imho. Same is true for Hypnotized.

Sugar Daddy: I will never get the amount of dislike this song gets, it's just a good old blues song, fun and light, builds a bridge from the old days to the Rumours five and is totally catchy. What's not to love about it?

Save Me: A real smasher, does not get the credit it deserves. While mourning the abcense of LB, people did not really listen to that little masterpiece.

Illume: Fantastic, one of the best songs Stevie wrote in the last 15 years.

Overrated:
Mystified - I'm still mystified how FM overrated it enough to put it on TiTN in the first place. The worst FM song ever to my ears. Christines voice is terrible, the sugar coated, dated 80's production kills the already weak composition- there is no redeeming quality of any kind in this song.

Sisters of the Moon: a lesser GDW, especially the single versions production was quite tacky in an overly dramatic way. I do love it live.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 01-21-2016 at 06:05 PM..
Old 01-21-2016, 06:51 PM
Junior Ledgie

I really think GYOW is overrated. It's not awful but just over played.
On the other hand, I believe many pre BN stuff is underrated. Heroes are Hard To Find, Bob's Angel, Bad Loser, Silver Heels, Emerald Eyes,Hypnotized and Why are some of my favourites.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Overrated doesn't equal over-exposed. Think of overrated as overhyped, not as good as people say it is, lower quality than advertised.

I see a lot of songs listed here that are clearly not overrated - Dreams, Go Your Own Way, Landslide - these are some of the best pop songs ever crafted and recorded to tape in the history of popular music. You might be tired of hearing them, but they are not overhyped, or lower quality than advertised, so to speak.

Quote:
o·ver·rate
/ˌōvərˈrāt/

verb
past tense: overrated; past participle: overrated

have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-21-2016, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Overrated doesn't equal over-exposed. Think of overrated as overhyped, not as good as people say it is, lower quality than advertised.

I see a lot of songs listed here that are clearly not overrated - Dreams, Go Your Own Way, Landslide - these are some of the best pop songs ever crafted and recorded to tape in the history of popular music. You might be tired of hearing them, but they are not overhyped, or lower quality than advertised, so to speak.
right on, and that was my point in asking the question. Some of the songs people are mentioning are really good songs, and if they weren't so over played we'd see it still. Dreams is perfection!
Old 01-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
right on, and that was my point in asking the question. Some of the songs people are mentioning are really good songs, and if they weren't so over played we'd see it still. Dreams is perfection!
I don't like Dreams live. But, the other day I put in on in my car (studio). It's 5 people making magic. I love that song.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Underrated:
Hold Me: A fantastic song, but noone, not even the Macs themselves seem to appreciate it like it should be.

Bermuda Triangle: (and many other songs Bob Welch did with FM), the Live version from the Bermuda Triangle Bootleg is fantastic, a musical treasure imho. Same is true for Hypnotized.

Sugar Daddy: I will never get the amount of dislike this song gets, it's just a good old blues song, fun and light, builds a bridge from the old days to the Rumours five and is totally catchy. What's not to love about it?

Save Me: A real smasher, does not get the credit it deserves. While mourning the abcense of LB, people did not really listen to that little masterpiece.

Illume: Fantastic, one of the best songs Stevie wrote in the last 15 years.

Overrated:
Mystified - I'm still mystified how FM overrated it enough to put it on TiTN in the first place. The worst FM song ever to my ears. Christines voice is terrible, the sugar coated, dated 80's production kills the already weak composition- there is no redeeming quality of any kind in this song.

Sisters of the Moon: a lesser GDW, especially the single versions production was quite tacky in an overly dramatic way. I do love it live.
I agree with all of this. You might dislike Mystified a tad more than I, but I'm with you in every point.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Both Heart of Stone and Behind the Mask have a darker tone and I like them from Christine.

Michele
Old 01-22-2016, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Underrated:
I think it's one of their top 5 songs. I think they like it. I mean, I don't know if Christine thinks its one of her bests, but I think Lindsey feels pretty satisfied about its production. But he likes its layers and since they can't recreate that in concert, they eschew it live.

Michele
Old 01-22-2016, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think it's one of their top 5 songs. I think they like it. I mean, I don't know if Christine thinks its one of her bests, but I think Lindsey feels pretty satisfied about its production. But he likes its layers and since they can't recreate that in concert, they eschew it live.

Michele
It's just a feeling I get because the song is on the big Box Set and not on the Very Best Of, as far as I remember and it has not been played live. Lindseys reasoning with the "Layers" sounds pretty shady to me, they play Everywhere, Big Love and Tusk live, all pretty layered in the studio versions, too.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Under:

Heart of Stone
That's Alright
Crystal (white album)

Over:
Landslide (I can't take it anymore)
Over My Head
Sara
I agree about Landslide. I'm beyond tired of that song. Its not a bad song by any means, but I've never loved it as much as casual and die hard fans do.

As for underrated, off the top of my head I would say

Crystal
Straight Back
That's Alright
Prove Your Love
The Bob Welch years in general

Last edited by Dreamz19; 01-22-2016 at 02:42 AM..