The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Completely showing my ignorance here...but who was Derek Taylor?
Old 09-28-2014, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Completely showing my ignorance here...but who was Derek Taylor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Taylor
Old 09-28-2014, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
In light of all her 'not going to tell things because WIVES!', she maybe could've kept her mouth shut slightly longer. His wife is still alive, so far as I know, and they were married from when Stevie was ten until Derek died in 1997 so... *shrugs* That one was a surprise to me, though. At least I was well familiar with the person involved for once, being an absolute Beatles obsessive. #silverlining
Maybe Derek Taylor's wife, Joan, knew about the affair. Something tells me Stevie wouldn't have publicly admitted that otherwise.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Beautiful Child she has said was inspired by her relationship with Derek Taylor.

As for Goodbye Baby, she hasn't discussed that. Personally, I think it's about a miscarriage but I understand why people seem to see it the other way instead. It was demo-ed as The Tower in 1976 I believe so... This is what the director of Destiny Rules said about it:

One of the more emotional moments made it to the film and that was when Stevie and Lindsey recorded “Goodbye Baby”. That was shot very quietly late at night and due to the subject matter, was a very private and personal moment between those two.
I don't see anything in that quote that indicates it's about an abortion. It's about them and their relationship and that would be a personal moment.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is no stigma attached to miscarriages. I'm sure if she had a miscarriage we would of heard it in about 50 songs by now. Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to abortion, even if it is the absolute right thing to do.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
There is no stigma attached to miscarriages. I'm sure if she had a miscarriage we would of heard it in about 50 songs by now. Unfortunately, there is a stigma attached to abortion, even if it is the absolute right thing to do.
No, there's not the same stigma, but perhaps it's something that still pains them both to talk about?

Additionally, I don't want to speculate, but I just remembered reading once that there are a few other songs and demos have vague/not so vague references to whatever happened, so it could be just another event she has come back to for lyrics again and again - Gyspy, Rock a Bye Baby, and Amber come to mind off the top of my head.

But - back to the article - I agree that the headline is so sensationalist, it makes me a little sad and angry that they chose to go with that, but hey, who am I to talk? That's going to give them good click-throughs and in modern journalism, that's what counts... Even though we've all pretty much known this to be true for years, though, Stevie admitting it is still very sad and heartbreaking.

Last edited by loverly13; 09-28-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Old 09-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly13 View Post
No, there's not the same stigma, but perhaps it's something that still pains them both to talk about?

Additionally, I don't want to speculate, but I just remembered reading once that there are a few other songs and demos have vague/not so vague references to whatever happened, so it could be just another event she has come back to for lyrics again and again - Gyspy, Rock a Bye Baby, and Amber come to mind off the top of my head.

But - back to the article - I agree that the headline is so sensationalist, it makes me a little sad and angry that they chose to go with that, but hey, who am I to talk? That's going to give them good click-throughs and in modern journalism, that's what counts... Even though we've all pretty much known this to be true for years, though, Stevie admitting it is still very sad and heartbreaking.
I don't think it pains Don at all. I think it pains her. I think she had a terrible decision to make but she made the right one.

I think the reporter is a freaking jerk.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
I don't think it pains Don at all. I think it pains her. I think she had a terrible decision to make but she made the right one.

I agree, who would ask someone about there abortions? That's just sick
Old 09-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

No, Don Henley is a freaking jerk. If he'd kept his trap shut, the reporter would have nothing to ask about.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
No, Don Henley is a freaking jerk. If he'd kept his trap shut, the reporter would have nothing to ask about.

Yeah, he is. Stevie and Chrisine no kids. The men they slept with have families. Not very fair. I'm sure the Eagles kept abortion clinics pretty busy.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

O no you dit-ten. Love John Waters.

Quote:

Yeah, he is. Stevie and Chrisine no kids. The men they slept with have families. Not very fair. I'm sure the Eagles kept abortion clinics pretty busy.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
True, Don is a jerk and I laughed when Richard hinted as much, saying that if you haven't got anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all about Henley.

But it's not a question the reporter should have asked. I mean, if Stevie wanted to talk about it and brought it up herself, I think that would be great, but I don't think you ask someone about that. Likewise, I don't think use ask Eric Clapton about his son either. If he initiates that conversation, then go for it. But let him do it.

As for Stevie, I think she acknowledged it a long time ago with the cat out of the bag comment, so no surprises.

Michele
Old 09-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
True, Don is a jerk and I laughed when Richard hinted as much, saying that if you haven't got anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all about Henley.
I always hate hearing about what a giant jerk Henley is. He's been one of my favorite talents since I was a child. And he's a HUGE environmental advocate for Caddo Lake, one of Texas' little known international treasures (it's the largest cypress forest in the world, and one of the most biologically diverse areas in the lower 48). My Mom's side of the family has lived in the Caddo area since before Texas joined the Union, so that particular cause is very dear to me. Don has really spearheaded conservation & restoration out there when nobody else could be convinced to care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But it's not a question the reporter should have asked. I mean, if Stevie wanted to talk about it and brought it up herself, I think that would be great, but I don't think you ask someone about that. Likewise, I don't think use ask Eric Clapton about his son either. If he initiates that conversation, then go for it. But let him do it.

As for Stevie, I think she acknowledged it a long time ago with the cat out of the bag comment, so no surprises.

Michele
It's true that Stevie did confess these things nearly 25 years ago now after Don's book was published. But so many fans disavow that interview. They blamed the Klonopin, or hazy, indirect quotes & artistic post-interview license from the journalist. This article closes that mystery once & for all, though.

However, I definitely agree it was tasteless of the interviewer to broach that subject. Like I said before, I have to wonder if this was all planned & approved beforehand, though. Stevie's publicist & management team seemingly keeps a tight lid on what she discusses, hence so many canned & sometimes robotic answers to the same old questions year after year, decade after decade. Like others have said, with Stevie's parents now gone, and many of her peers starting to pass away, you have to wonder if the woman is starting to confess these things to set the story straight, and soothe her soul. Plus, she's always wanted to be as open as possible with her story & travails so that others would learn from her.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I always hate hearing about what a giant jerk Henley is. He's been one of my favorite talents since I was a child. And he's a HUGE environmental advocate for Caddo Lake, one of Texas' little known international treasures (it's the largest cypress forest in the world, and one of the most biologically diverse areas in the lower 48). My Mom's side of the family has lived in the Caddo area since before Texas joined the Union, so that particular cause is very dear to me. Don has really spearheaded conservation & restoration out there when nobody else could be convinced to care.

It's true that Stevie did confess these things nearly 25 years ago now after Don's book was published. But so many fans disavow that interview. They blamed the Klonopin, or hazy, indirect quotes & artistic post-interview license from the journalist. This article closes that mystery once & for all, though.

However, I definitely agree it was tasteless of the interviewer to broach that subject. Like I said before, I have to wonder if this was all planned & approved beforehand, though. Stevie's publicist & management team seemingly keeps a tight lid on what she discusses, hence so many canned & sometimes robotic answers to the same old questions year after year, decade after decade. Like others have said, with Stevie's parents now gone, and many of her peers starting to pass away, you have to wonder if the woman is starting to confess these things to set the story straight, and soothe her soul. Plus, she's always wanted to be as open as possible with her story & travails so that others would learn from her.
Actually the first mention by Don of the abortion was in an interview in GQ magazine. I want to say Chris Connelly was the interviewer but I could be wrong on that. I remember reading it and going "wha..? you choose to just BLURT that out like it's nothing in GQ??"

And Stevie did say I believe to Mary Turner (there's audio of the interview floating around) that had he not opened his trap she would never have revealed that particular fact.

People can be talented and still be a-holes to deal with. Don clearly is that. Lindsey was that most of his career. (sorry elle). Don being very in touch with his bunghole side doesn't by any means undo the contributions he's made in his charitable work.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-28-2014 at 11:41 PM..