User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
The sad thing is The Voice really hasn't helped Christine Aguilera or Shakira that much. Their sales suck.
I agree. This is one of the greatest women of rock and roll; a woman who ran in circles with Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Mike Campbell, Linda Ronstadt, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Bob Welch, Don Henley and The Eagles, and Dennis Wilson.

I do not put her name in a class with the likes of Paula Abdul, Shakira, Keith Urban, Nicki Minaj, Blake Shelton or CeeLo Green. She doesn't need this to sell records. Some half brained agent/publicist is behind this.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I agree. This is one of the greatest women of rock and roll; a woman who ran in circles with Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Mike Campbell, Linda Ronstadt, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Bob Welch, Don Henley and The Eagles, and Dennis Wilson.

I do not put her name in a class with the likes of Paula Abdul, Shakira, Keith Urban, Nicki Minaj, Blake Shelton or CeeLo Green. She doesn't need this to sell records. Some half brained agent/publicist is behind this.
She does need to get her name out there for album though. She is 66 years old. Adam will take of her. He loves her.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
The ONLY reason she is doing this stuff is for the promotion of STEVIE NICKS. Remember, she isn't selling records anymore and isn't getting "new" airplay. This is the only venue (TV) left for artists her age to promote themselves.

I hate these kinds of shows but it does keep her name in the trades and on the internet.
BUNK!!! She's also doing it because she believes in paying it forward! Every single "Idol" contestant said she was the best mentor that they had all season, that she had really done her homework and really CARED!!! Both the casts of "Glee" and "American Horror Story" said she was nothing but gracious and an inspiration!
It blows me away how easy it is for so many to sit at a keyboard and think they "know" what motivates someone! Well, guess what??? You don't!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Uh.....hate to say it, but both Keith Urban and Blake Shelton are selling more records than pretty much everyone listed in the first group......combined!!!!! (And I LOVE almost everyone on that list!! Just that state of the industry today!)
Old 07-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
Uh.....hate to say it, but both Keith Urban and Blake Shelton are selling more records than pretty much everyone listed in the first group......combined!!!!! (And I LOVE almost everyone on that list!! Just that state of the industry today!)
This is not about selling records. Ask Lindsey Buckingham. In 10 years, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban's name will never be mentioned in the same class as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty or anyone else in that first group. From an artistic standpoint, Shelton and Urban are not even on the same playing field. But, we all have our valid opinions. Personally, I don't buy music or follow artists in regard to Top 40 appeal and marketable sound. The state of the industry today is in shambles. There's no credibility left in today's popular music and the artists are about as deep as a mud puddle. Careers are made based on reality singing contests and karaoke competitions. How sad. There was a time when major record labels found artists with substance and nurtured their careers. Sadly, this philosophy of making music started to disappear in the late 80's and is now non existent. Stevie herself said that the record business is dead. But, what the heck, queue of the karaoke tracks, folks, let's get some kids at the local mall and go make some music!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is not about selling records. Ask Lindsey Buckingham. In 10 years, Blake Shelton and Keith Urban's name will never be mentioned in the same class as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty or anyone else in that first group. From an artistic standpoint, Shelton and Urban are not even on the same playing field. But, we all have our valid opinions. Personally, I don't buy music or follow artists in regard to Top 40 appeal and marketable sound. The state of the industry today is in shambles. There's no credibility left in today's popular music and the artists are about as deep as a mud puddle. Careers are made based on reality singing contests and karaoke competitions. How sad. There was a time when major record labels found artists with substance and nurtured their careers. Sadly, this philosophy of making music started to disappear in the late 80's and is now non existent. Stevie herself said that the record business is dead. But, what the heck, queue of the karaoke tracks, folks, let's get some kids at the local mall and go make some music!
Beautifully expressed. Thank you. It is about credibility. What's next? --touting the success of Justin Bieber as 'an artist' because he's "sellin' a lot of records"?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

There's a big difference between the 1st group & the 2nd group...

The artists in the 1st group are legendary singers, songwriters and musicians while the "media personalities" in the second group are simply a corporate product and some are simply famous for being famous...

While Stevie continues to sing the praises of how great she likes working with Dave Stewart she is apparently unwilling to follow his lead when it comes to self promotion via social media...Yes she has a "verified" twitter with 43,000 followers but will Stevie take full advantage of being on "reality show" and tweet/use social media to keep her fans up to date about what is happening on "The Voice" ??? Most likely not...While it's great Dave is keeping us in the loop Stevie should be the one tweeting info not Dave...
Old 07-09-2014, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
BUNK!!! She's also doing it because she believes in paying it forward! Every single "Idol" contestant said she was the best mentor that they had all season, that she had really done her homework and really CARED!!! Both the casts of "Glee" and "American Horror Story" said she was nothing but gracious and an inspiration!
It blows me away how easy it is for so many to sit at a keyboard and think they "know" what motivates someone! Well, guess what??? You don't!
Word.

We've all questioned her and Fleetwood Mac's management decisions at times, but this will be good for her and FM. Sadly or not sadly, it's all about exposure these days. People's attention spans are for sh*t nowadays.

As far as the tweet about it being "ironic" that Stevie is mentoring young voices, whatever. Stevie has one of those voices that some people just don't like, and some of those people even write on this board. I get that - for example, I never could stand Neil Young's voice. To each his own. But I'm pretty sure Stevie has enough fans to compensate for those that dislike her.

Jamie
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
There's a big difference between the 1st group & the 2nd group...

The artists in the 1st group are legendary singers, songwriters and musicians while the "media personalities" in the second group are simply a corporate product and some are simply famous for being famous...

While Stevie continues to sing the praises of how great she likes working with Dave Stewart she is apparently unwilling to follow his lead when it comes to self promotion via social media...Yes she has a "verified" twitter with 43,000 followers but will Stevie take full advantage of being on "reality show" and tweet/use social media to keep her fans up to date about what is happening on "The Voice" ??? Most likely not...While it's great Dave is keeping us in the loop Stevie should be the one tweeting info not Dave...
Can I quickly put a word in for Keith Urban? I mean, yes, he's not 'legendary' and he's not the bestest thing ever but I wouldn't exactly just stick him straight in the 'corporate product' category, either. He's a good guitar player and not half bad at writing songs. He IS an artist even if he does pimp himself out to a couple of (singing) reality TV shows. It's money, it's publicity, it doesn't negate actual talent or artistry.

In terms of Stevie going on, she doesn't have a social media presence (which can help garner attention) and she's in her sixties; going on a show like this can only help her at this stage. She's gone on The Voice and American Idol before, even in a lesser capacity, and all it did was raise her profile. It's kind of sad that the business has come to this but it's not some measure of patheticness, an appearance. The 'aura of mystery' thing is just part of the image, and one which I don't think is ruined by occasional glimpses at the person/a on the telly, not being all mysterious but giving solid, helpful advice instead. Rather, it gets her name out there and that's all too important, if not for sales, then for her legacy. We've seen the term 'legend', 'popular', 'beloved', 'icon' etc thrown around a lot more recently, not just because of her age, but because appearing on various things - and being praised by those on those things - makes her more known. If she's careful about it, it just calls attention to HER, her image and her music. She's not suddenly going to be known by the majority as 'The Voice star Stevie Nicks'. It's (nearly) all for the legacy, exposure and the publicity. And why not.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It confounds me that some people here are referring to Stevie's 'smart business sense' and supposed shrewdness as if they were positive traits. What happened to the sweet little dreamer who only cared about art? I guess she simply morphed into a money-hungry egomaniac many moons ago or perhaps she had just been concealing that side of her character? If only she concentrated on the things that mattered and retained some dignity as a person. It's been a sad decline for the old girl.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
It confounds me that some people here are referring to Stevie's 'smart business sense' and supposed shrewdness as if they were positive traits. What happened to the sweet little dreamer who only cared about art? I guess she simply morphed into a money-hungry egomaniac many moons ago or perhaps she had just been concealing that side of her character? If only she concentrated on the things that mattered and retained some dignity as a person. It's been a sad decline for the old girl.
I've never understood why it has to be an either/or proposition. You can't be devoted to your art and want to make money? They're not mutually exclusive.

And, seriously, she's going to offer advice to aspiring singers on a handful of episodes of a TV show. It's not like she's hocking a line of hair-care products or skin creams on QVC. I honestly don't see how she's damaging her credibility or her dignity with this.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

waxing philosophically, I have been wondering if she feels ever more aware of having traveled some 4/5ths of her way, this perhaps creating the strong urge to give, produce, work, increase what she leaves behind with ever greater urgency while still able. Specially since this will be her one legacy, she has no long life partner or children.

I applaud anyone who keeps busy and keeps trying different things, even past retirement age.
So I say, whatever floats her boat. Open a Stevie Nicks Ice Creame Shoppe with treats served in boot-shaped cones or what not. Live it up. Now's the time.
She can be mystic in death, after.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I've never understood why it has to be an either/or proposition. You can't be devoted to your art and want to make money? They're not mutually exclusive.

And, seriously, she's going to offer advice to aspiring singers on a handful of episodes of a TV show. It's not like she's hocking a line of hair-care products or skin creams on QVC. I honestly don't see how she's damaging her credibility or her dignity with this.
Exactly. I doubt she's making that much money from the guest spots, but she is getting publicity and reaching audiences she couldn't reach any other way. Why is appearing on The Voice any less genuine than showing up on Ellen or Letterman?
Old 07-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've been a fan since the mid 197os ..Stevie was never just a sweet little dreamer that only cared about art,..she was the most vocal critic in the band about most everything about the defiantly artsy Tusk album,....even though her songs on it turned out to be the artistic highlight of that album .

Old 07-10-2014, 02:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

" There is only one thing worse than being talked about
and that's not being talked about "

Oscar Wilde

I think she 's smart , and I'm kind of sad I will not be able to see her.