The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=louielouie2000;1145076]I always hate hearing about what a giant jerk Henley is. He's been one of my favorite talents since I was a child. And he's a HUGE environmental advocate for Caddo Lake, one of Texas' little known international treasures (it's the largest cypress forest in the world, and one of the most biologically diverse areas in the lower 48). My Mom's side of the family has lived in the Caddo area since before Texas joined the Union, so that particular cause is very dear to me. Don has really spearheaded conservation & restoration out there when nobody else could be convinced to care.

Yeah. Well you know, it's the complexity of humans, isn't it? There are very very few of us that are entirely good or entirely bad. It's quite possible for Henley to be both fairly sexist (which I think is kind of obvious from the way he's talked about the pregnancy and termination) and yet also a champion of the environment.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Actually the first mention by Don of the abortion was in an interview in GQ magazine. I want to say Chris Connelly was the interviewer but I could be wrong on that. I remember reading it and going "wha..? you choose to just BLURT that out like it's nothing in GQ??"
And if I remember correctly, all accounts say that Don was hopelessly intoxicated? I could be wrong, but I think someone said it.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Actually the first mention by Don of the abortion was in an interview in GQ magazine. I want to say Chris Connelly was the interviewer but I could be wrong on that. I remember reading it and going "wha..? you choose to just BLURT that out like it's nothing in GQ??"

And Stevie did say I believe to Mary Turner (there's audio of the interview floating around) that had he not opened his trap she would never have revealed that particular fact.

People can be talented and still be a-holes to deal with. Don clearly is that. Lindsey was that most of his career. (sorry elle). Don being very in touch with his bunghole side doesn't by any means undo the contributions he's made in his charitable work.
Don Henley said this in August 1991 in GQ:
Henley’s prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who “I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion and then wrote the song of the same name to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there’s a line in the song that says ‘And when you build your house, call me.’”
In February 1992, a British music magazine called Vox published an interview with Stevie where the article says this:
But now there is remorse at the havoc her abortions have wreaked on her psyche. “To give up four babies is to give up a lot that would be here now. So that bothers me, a lot, and really breaks my heart. But they’re gone, so…” She composes herself. “But I couldn’t have because I was too busy. And I had all these commitments.” She wants to adopt, but age and single-parenthood are against her. “I’ve also thought about having one myself but I’m booked up for the next four years. I don’t know if, at my age, I can get pregnant right away, do an album at the same time, have a baby, promote an album, go out on tour with the baby. So I’m going back and forth in my mind. At 43 years old, my time clock is ticking, so I can’t afford to wait around for very long.” Surely these are the same excuses she made on the last four occasions — with two important differences. There is no obvious candidate for the father, and even if there were, the decision totally remains in her hands.
This is what Stevie said to Mary Turner about Don in her Off the Record interview in 1994 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=van9uyR9ksc). Mary asks her whether she would consider writing an autobiography one day and Stevie replies:
The real scoop is in my head. And the real scoop is written in very coded poetry and journal entries and - y’know, over the last - since 1975. And some of the things - I mean, like - Don Henley. I can’t - I - he blew it on the fact that I, that I had an abortion. He told a big magazine that. So it’s like ‘Well, I guess I could write my story about me and Don now, because Don accidentally let the whole cat out of the bag to, like, Vanity Fair or something. So there are things that I could write about, y’know, but there are a lot of things that I couldn’t. See, I would never have told that. I would never have told the world that. You know, ninety-two phone calls from Don and a hundred apologies later, but the fact is that, y’know - well, now that story’s out now. But the story behind it isn’t written. What really happened isn’t written. So that’s the story that everybody has to wait for.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-29-2014, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Henley’s prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who “I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion and then wrote the song of the same name to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there’s a line in the song that says ‘And when you build your house, call me.’”
In February 1992, a British music magazine called Vox published an interview with Stevie where the article says this:
But now there is remorse at the havoc her abortions have wreaked on her psyche. “To give up four babies is to give up a lot that would be here now. So that bothers me, a lot, and really breaks my heart. But they’re gone, so…” She composes herself. “But I couldn’t have because I was too busy. And I had all these commitments.” She wants to adopt, but age and single-parenthood are against her. “I’ve also thought about having one myself but I’m booked up for the next four years. I don’t know if, at my age, I can get pregnant right away, do an album at the same time, have a baby, promote an album, go out on tour with the baby. So I’m going back and forth in my mind. At 43 years old, my time clock is ticking, so I can’t afford to wait around for very long.” Surely these are the same excuses she made on the last four occasions — with two important differences. There is no obvious candidate for the father, and even if there were, the decision totally remains in her hands.
This is what Stevie said to Mary Turner about Don in her Off the Record interview in 1994 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=van9uyR9ksc). Mary asks her whether she would consider writing an autobiography one day and Stevie replies:
The real scoop is in my head. And the real scoop is written in very coded poetry and journal entries and - y’know, over the last - since 1975. And some of the things - I mean, like - Don Henley. I can’t - I - he blew it on the fact that I, that I had an abortion. He told a big magazine that. So it’s like ‘Well, I guess I could write my story about me and Don now, because Don accidentally let the whole cat out of the bag to, like, Vanity Fair or something. So there are things that I could write about, y’know, but there are a lot of things that I couldn’t. See, I would never have told that. I would never have told the world that. You know, ninety-two phone calls from Don and a hundred apologies later, but the fact is that, y’know - well, now that story’s out now. But the story behind it isn’t written. What really happened isn’t written. So that’s the story that everybody has to wait for.
She shows great loyalty to people but they don't to her.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^The contrast in the two is interesting, Louie.

It is the Vox interview that has been distrusted due to uncharacteristic comments attributed to Stevie. No one thought the Off The Record interview was at all questionable.

Michele
Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu28 View Post
YES! She's hilarious and sometimes I can't tell if she really actually means to be funny, or if we all just take it that way!!
I'm so happy that she is doing all of these interviews and actually being candid about some of the stuff from her past.
That is a good observation! I think it's a little of both: part comic and part eccentric.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 09-29-2014 at 07:53 PM..
Old 09-29-2014, 08:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

wow great job digging those out nicole!!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
wow great job digging those out nicole!!
No problem. I prefer to work with actual quotes rather than impressions or memories of them. A few months ago, there were a few days where it was a topic I was being asked a lot about on tumblr, so I finally got around to finding the quotes, and transcribing the Mary Turner interview segment which is the key one, really.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 09-30-2014, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
so I finally got around to finding the quotes, and transcribing the Mary Turner interview segment which is the key one, really.
Transcription is invaluable, because it makes things searchable.

The audio from the Off The Record interview is still up on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=van9uyR9ksc
Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks and Don Henley are now a trending topic on Bing...

Last edited by BlueDenimLamp; 09-30-2014 at 07:37 AM..
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, great excerpts. A lot of emotion and heartache, that's for sure. For everyone involved. 4 abortions.......I feel bad for her. That must have been very difficult.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
True, Don is a jerk and I laughed when Richard hinted as much, saying that if you haven't got anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all about Henley.
My friend and former co-worker Emily is one of the quietest, sweetest, loveable people anyone could have the pleasure of meeting. Anyone would be lucky to have this wonderful gal in their lives.

So watching Don Henley publically BERATE her because the caramel macchiato she made for him wasn't "up to snuff" was too much for me to bear! He made her start over and make it FOUR TIMES before he was satisfied. He took a sip and said, "Jesus! Finally! THIS is how a f**king caramel macchiato is supposed to taste" before walking off without leaving a tip. What's funny is that the way she made it the forth time was the EXACT same way she made it the first time. Emily broke down and cried after he left. Up til that point, she had always been a huge fan of his.

Henley is an ass!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Henley is an ass!
exactly. it's not the way one treats "fans" that tells you about how they are in RL
it's how they treat average joe
and this example makes me want to punch him
there's no need for that. u can be unhappy "quietly" and 1:1

Last edited by StreetAngel86; 09-30-2014 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: it's early. typo
Old 10-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel86 View Post
exactly. it's not the way one treats "fans" that tells you about how they are in RL
it's how they treat average joe
and this example makes me want to punch him
there's no need for that. u can be unhappy "quietly" and 1:1
I agree completely!

And Sorcerer999, I genuinely feel terrible for your friend. No one should be treated that way in general (and I've seen a few snobs at Starbucks whine and return drinks but FOUR TIMES? Wow!). But then to be a huge fan on top of that, I can't even imagine. Best I can compare it to is that I really looked up to a particular politician (I know, I know, that was setting myself up for disappointment to begin with!) and said politician isn't a US politician so when they were in the US I hopped a plane, made a huge deal of seeing her speak. Never got to meet her but was holding out hope to do so and then I read a story of someone roughly my age (young adultish) going up to meet this politician (who is a notorious introvert, so I don't know to this day that she meant to come off as such a jerk, just a politician who sucks at the smoozing side of things perhaps) and telling her how she was a big fan, really admired her- basically it could've been me though it wasnt- and this politician basically brushed her off, was super abrupt and I think literally said "Well now you've met me." And walked away. Broke my heart just to hear that story so I can't even imagine actually being on the receiving end of someone I'm a fan of treating me like Henley treated your friend. Just terrible. And I don't understand how famous folks can get so lost in the clouds or stuck on themselves or whatever that. They can be so rude to "normal people" when if not for us they wouldn't have anything, you know?