Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2018, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Another problem is that Lindsey's on a different page than Stevie now musically, and has been for quite some time, when it comes to "sound." He often likes to make things sound unnatural - manipulated vocals, sped up guitar parts, sound effects, etc... she's not into that. Back in the day, his suggestions involved adding interesting harmonies, bridges, guitar parts... but in the recent era, they might also include adding bizarre stuff like the freaky manipulated voice echoing that "What I saw on this journey" verse in "Illume." That was definitely.... different.... and not very "Stevie." So I can kind of see where she might be a little nervous.

On the other hand, she made him promise to leave "Without You" alone and he did... and I think it would have benefited from some tweaking in its arrangement! Not by adding gimmicks, mind you, but by finding ways to make it less repetitive. Lindsey could have helped her with that. These people need to find middle ground!
This is one of the most insightful things I've read in regards to Lindsey & Stevie in a long time. And I hadn't really considered it. Lindsey's production has evolved in a way that doesn't seem to fit Stevie's style. And she still needs a good producer's help, but maybe in a more organic way. Dave Stewart did it successfully on In Your Dreams but turned 24k Gold into a hot production mess, JMHO!