Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[mock interview about candidates' favorite music]

What's on Your Spotify? The Presidential Candidates Edition

Broward Palm Beach New Times

http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/musi...dition-7395964

By David Rolland Monday, November 16, 2015 | 10 hours ago

Due to complaints that America's favorite fall reality show, The Presidential Debates, has been taking too damned long, broadcasters have taken editorial liberties with some rather crucial interactions among the nominees. Though they've kept discussion on trivial topics like the economy and foreign policy, it seems one of the most pertinent questions regarding the candidates' characters has been left to the cutting-room floor: What's on their Spotify playlists?

Never fear, however, as the investigative reporters here at New Times have recovered the discarded transcripts revealing how candidates have addressed this pressing question — because we think Americans have the right to know.

Hillary Clinton

Moderator: We'll move on to Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. What songs are on your Spotify?

Hillary Clinton: As you know, Bill and I have a deep love for Fleetwood Mac.

Moderator: Yes, who can forget his campaign song in 1992 was "Don't Stop"?

Clinton: Do you think that makes me sound too old? The polls all said America wants something familiar. Don't they? If they want something new and fresh, I can also like Taylor Swift. Good ol' T-Swizzle. But that doesn't make me sound tough enough, does it? I like that new Drake song "Hotline Bling." But wait, he's Canadian, and America should come first. What is it you want me to like?
Old 11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to get political.I hope the candidates will pay up for using the artists/bands tunes at their functions .

I figure that Mrs C would go for FM Don't Stop for again us old supporters .Taylor Swift for the young supporters .I'm not familiar with Drake's tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-17-2015, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Not to get political.I hope the candidates will pay up for using the artists/bands tunes at their functions .

I figure that Mrs C would go for FM Don't Stop for again us old supporters .Taylor Swift for the young supporters .I'm not familiar with Drake's tunes.
she'll avoid Don't Stop because it invokes memories of Bill and she's trying to separate herself in people's minds from him and be evaluated on her own.

Now, if we had a new FM album with Chris, maybe she'd find a new Chris song as her anthem
Old 11-17-2015, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
she'll avoid Don't Stop because it invokes memories of Bill and she's trying to separate herself in people's minds from him and be evaluated on her own.

Now, if we had a new FM album with Chris, maybe she'd find a new Chris song as her anthem
Yea .I agree.The timing for a new Mac song is off since nothing came up from the Mac. and also If the Mac lets her use it.I noticed lately that some of the artists are shying away on letting candidates using their tunes at their functions.

I'm so happy that the Mac 5 some got together for the Clinton's in 1992.All of us on here agree with that.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Didn't she already pick a Katy Perry song as her theme?

Michele
Old 11-18-2015, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Didn't she already pick a Katy Perry song as her theme?

Michele
I just saw her on CNN. They were using
Van Halen's Runnin' With The Devil.

Seemed appropriate.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:

I like the way you think!!!... (most of the time)..
Old 01-29-2016, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[What! There are many criticisms you can make of Don't Stop, but to say that it's a symbol of the Me Generation is simply ridiculous]

The Nation [excerpt] by  By Leslie Savan

http://www.thenation.com/article/the...k-for-hillary/

A “yes, we can, but only around the edges” attitude is why Bill and Hillary Clinton’s political ads have rarely inspired. “Neither of the Clintons could attempt to harness the sweet, nostalgic searching of a song like America without looking ridiculous,” as Alexander Zaitchik writes in The Guardian. “There’s a reason Bill’s 1992 campaign song was Fleetwood Mac’s soulless Me Generation anthem Don’t Stop.”

Clintonian ads (like the one touting her experience that Cuomo had Bernie watch) are mostly aimed at a middle that was disappearing when Bill was first elected and largely doesn’t exist anymore. Bill got his chops at a time when Reagan dominated the map, and he and the DLC worked out a marketing style of mee-tooism: I’m a progressive person, but I’m not going to threaten business. Bill Clinton said the era of big government is over, and sacrificed Sister Souljah, the Glass-Steagall Act, and welfare as we once knew it in order to find his third way—basically, in order to harvest liberal votes while accepting corporate money.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[What! There are many criticisms you can make of Don't Stop, but to say that it's a symbol of the Me Generation is simply ridiculous]

The Nation [excerpt] by  By Leslie Savan

http://www.thenation.com/article/the...k-for-hillary/

A “yes, we can, but only around the edges” attitude is why Bill and Hillary Clinton’s political ads have rarely inspired. “Neither of the Clintons could attempt to harness the sweet, nostalgic searching of a song like America without looking ridiculous,” as Alexander Zaitchik writes in The Guardian. “There’s a reason Bill’s 1992 campaign song was Fleetwood Mac’s soulless Me Generation anthem Don’t Stop.”

Clintonian ads (like the one touting her experience that Cuomo had Bernie watch) are mostly aimed at a middle that was disappearing when Bill was first elected and largely doesn’t exist anymore. Bill got his chops at a time when Reagan dominated the map, and he and the DLC worked out a marketing style of mee-tooism: I’m a progressive person, but I’m not going to threaten business. Bill Clinton said the era of big government is over, and sacrificed Sister Souljah, the Glass-Steagall Act, and welfare as we once knew it in order to find his third way—basically, in order to harvest liberal votes while accepting corporate money.
It's also NOT soulless. The song has heart. Whether one likes it or loathes it, it came from a genuine place and is very much an anthem of healing.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
It's also NOT soulless. The song has heart. Whether one likes it or loathes it, it came from a genuine place and is very much an anthem of healing.
Absolutely!
Its also wrong that the author of that article classified the 70's as a "Me generation" That was the 80's. The 70's was about sharing and teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony
Old 01-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Absolutely!
Its also wrong that the author of that article classified the 70's as a "Me generation" That was the 80's. The 70's was about sharing and teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony
That reminds me of the old Coke ad from the 1970's.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Absolutely!
Technically, from common historical perspective, the 70s is classed as the decadent "ME" generation. (It was in comparison to the social consciousness and activism that is associated with the 60s.) But you are right to note that the aggressive capitalism, trickle down economics, and reactionary politics of the 80s make the 70s look morally and spiritually superior in just about every way.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yahoo, The 20 Best Presidential Inauguration Performances of All Time

Chris Willman Writer January 12, 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-20-b...000735614.html

2. Fleetwood Mac, for Bill Clinton (1993)

The legacy lineup of Fleetwood Mac had not performed with Christine McVie in tow in nine years, and even then, doing “Don’t Stop” for the Clintons wasn’t an entirely easy sell to the entire band. “This is pretty much a one-off thing, as far as I’m concerned,” Lindsey Buckingham declared at the time. “In fact, if we had been asked to do much more than the one song, I don’t know if I would have been able to do that.” Tell us how enthusiastic you really feel, Lindsey! But even when not every feeling has been smoothed over, it’s hard to resist when the first member of your favored party to be elected in 18 years adopted your song as a campaign anthem and wants a live reading as a victory anthem. It paved the way for a resumption of affections after all, as the classic Mac lineup got back together a more productive year or two in ’97.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yahoo, The 20 Best Presidential Inauguration Performances of All Time

Chris Willman Writer January 12, 2017

https://www.yahoo.com/music/the-20-b...000735614.html

2. Fleetwood Mac, for Bill Clinton (1993)

The legacy lineup of Fleetwood Mac had not performed with Christine McVie in tow in nine years, and even then, doing “Don’t Stop” for the Clintons wasn’t an entirely easy sell to the entire band. “This is pretty much a one-off thing, as far as I’m concerned,” Lindsey Buckingham declared at the time. “In fact, if we had been asked to do much more than the one song, I don’t know if I would have been able to do that.” Tell us how enthusiastic you really feel, Lindsey! But even when not every feeling has been smoothed over, it’s hard to resist when the first member of your favored party to be elected in 18 years adopted your song as a campaign anthem and wants a live reading as a victory anthem. It paved the way for a resumption of affections after all, as the classic Mac lineup got back together a more productive year or two in ’97.
Math is not this person's strong point.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Math is not this person's strong point.
I suppose it should have read 'had not performed live with Lindsey Buckingham in tow for 9 years...'
Even then its wrong as it would have been 11 years.

Anyway, looking back...is there anyone that didn't perform for Bill Clinton in'93?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood