The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

She probably has her own reasons for doing so. Maybe she wanted to try something on a smaller scale first to get that voice and those fingers trained but we'll never really know

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-11-2013, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My lord, I miss a day on the Ledge and there's a whole swarm of news! First of all, I am thrilled to hear she has 8 (ish) songs and that she is writing in her trademark style. Second, I am equally thrilled to hear her describe her reclusiveness as a thing of the past, a temporary delusion. It sounds as if she is paving the way for all kinds of possible career moves--or at least setting a record straight about what she is up to.

When she mentioned the possibility of a tour should the studio album come out I nearly **** myself. I would travel across the ocean to see her.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
My lord, I miss a day on the Ledge and there's a whole swarm of news! First of all, I am thrilled to hear she has 8 (ish) songs and that she is writing in her trademark style. Second, I am equally thrilled to hear her describe her reclusiveness as a thing of the past, a temporary delusion. It sounds as if she is paving the way for all kinds of possible career moves--or at least setting a record straight about what she is up to.

When she mentioned the possibility of a tour should the studio album come out I nearly **** myself. I would travel across the ocean to see her.
Amen.

I'm glad she realised that being alone in the country was a falsehood. It was never going to totally satisfy her, given the underlying creative urges.

Does anyone else get the impression that we are getting Christine back, for ourselves?

It was so lovely to hear her talk about performing, recording and touring so effortlessly. That therapy must have helped enormously.

Of course, when I saw her at the O2 I knew she had sought help, as there's no way given her previous reservations that she'd have done it.

I think we are in the edge of something wonderful.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Did anyone read Wendy's trashing of Chris, on FB last night? She hates her.
I saw it. While I sympathize with Wendy, I get why Chris was pissed with Bob in 1997-8. I thought it was crap that Bob wasn't inducted back then, as I do now (same for Billy and Rick, BTW). I completely get it. Bob was a critical member of Fleetwood Mac, maybe THE most critical at one point, but he never had a hit with the band like Peter or the "Rumours" crew. Either viewpoint is legitimate. (Personally, I think Welch, Billy, and Rick should've been included, too.)

However, I doubt too many people would GAF if it came out that Christine was against Bob's induction today. It's a non-story in terms of bigger press. Bob hasn't worked for a major label in over 30 years, and Christine's been semi-retired for 15 years. The only people who care now are mostly the same people who cared in 1998.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
Amen.

I'm glad she realised that being alone in the country was a falsehood. It was never going to totally satisfy her, given the underlying creative urges.

Does anyone else get the impression that we are getting Christine back, for ourselves?

It was so lovely to hear her talk about performing, recording and touring so effortlessly. That therapy must have helped enormously.

Of course, when I saw her at the O2 I knew she had sought help, as there's no way given her previous reservations that she'd have done it.

I think we are in the edge of something wonderful.
Yes, yes. All of this. I definitely think we're getting our lady back doing what she loves to do. This is basically the antithesis of the Christine we got right after The Dance, basically. And I love it.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Yes, yes. All of this. I definitely think we're getting our lady back doing what she loves to do. This is basically the antithesis of the Christine we got right after The Dance, basically. And I love it.
If I toured with Fleetwood Mac from 1968-1998, I would need a 15 year vacation as well.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
If I toured with Fleetwood Mac from 1968-1998, I would need a 15 year vacation as well.
Amen.......
Old 10-12-2013, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's like for every 10 years since you've joined FM, you're entitled to years of time off.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How about some speculation about what "recording in her '70s style" actually means?

I am hoping it means more piano, more keyboards in general. The five "Welch era" albums featured a lot of prominent keyboards from Christine (the 1975 White Album too) and then her keyboards started to become a less important part of the band's sound. I long to hear some good solid piano songs (like "Homeward Bound").

I think 'In the Meantime' is a great album, but it doesn't have anywhere enough piano and keyboards.

David could describe what I mean in more accurate musical terminology, and I suspect he would agree with the idea.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine herself said that the songs are reminiscent of the Rumours era. Though I wish for more piano/keyboards too.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
Christine herself said that the songs are reminiscent of the Rumours era. Though I wish for more piano/keyboards too.
Yes and in her description it sounded like she was concentrating more on the hooky melody, rather than the instrumentation, per se.

You remember how she used to say that she writes what is needed. Sounds like someone told her something "commercial" was needed.

Michele
Old 10-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes and in her description it sounded like she was concentrating more on the hooky melody, rather than the instrumentation, per se.

You remember how she used to say that she writes what is needed. Sounds like someone told her something "commercial" was needed.
Since she's not really writing for anything else, I'd say it was her muse talking to her.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post

Michele
I believe, "Friend" or "You Are", would have been much more solid commercial hits than, "Peacekeeper". And they promoted the crap out of, "Peacekeeper".
I also believe with LB and SN harmonies, CM's tunes would have been even more sublime than they already are.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I believe, "Friend" or "You Are", would have been much more solid commercial hits than, "Peacekeeper". And they promoted the crap out of, "Peacekeeper".
I also believe with LB and SN harmonies, CM's tunes would have been even more sublime than they already are.
I totally agree. Christine excels at writing great hooks and melodies, but the input of the other members can really bring that out to a great song even more.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Of course, yes. Whenever I listen to "Giving it Back" I think of what a perfect Fleetwood Mac song it would have made, how it is actually closer to the classic Fleetwood Mac sound than anything in Say You Will.

But then there's "Forgiveness" which is so perfect as it is that I wouldn't have wanted her to share it or alter it on a Mac record...