User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
That's just the nature of the beast when songs get leaked. It's not HIS fault that his "new" songs are already old-hat to a majority of his fans. Most likely, to Lindsey, he thinks ALL the songs are "new" to his fans. Actually, we're to blame if we have unfulfilled expectations of his new album.
..well, I don't know about THAT, but you're right about the first part---it's not Lindsey's fault a bunch of his "new" songs have been in fans' collections for several years now. Or is it...? I always wondered if Lindsey himself leaked the tracks to measure fan interest and generate buzz for the album, knowing that the true fans would track the songs down and would also more than likely buy the official release.

I guess I should have been more clear. You're right---my main complaint is that we've been listening to some of these songs for years, and that's probably not Lindsey's fault. But another reason for me wanting different mixes or versions of the "old" songs is so that they fit better with the newer material.

In the recent online articles, Lindsey has implied that he wanted a more stripped back sound as well as a unified theme and tone for the album. He told Billboard, "It seemed to be more truthful in terms of what the songs were saying and what I was trying to look at" to hold the guitar-driven songs until the next album. He's talking about a general them and approach he was "trying to look at."

He also said, "I want to still have it sound like a record, but very much in the spirit of someone sitting and playing guitar." "Down on Rodeo" is a great song, but it doesn't have the kind of sound he's describing in that statement. If he wanted THAT kind of approach, he should have stuck with the demo arrangement, which I happen to think served the song a little better than the more produced one.

When I listen to the truly new songs, they literally sound like they're from a different session than the "older" songs like "Down on Rodeo"---probably because they ARE from a different session! Actually, "Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind" is probably somewhere in between the two production styles. On the other hand, we don't know that the "new" songs weren't written or recorded 5 years ago...! Hah!

My favorite band, Crowded House, included an older song called "Walking on the Spot" on their final studio album, TOGETHER ALONE. WOTS was written and demoed in 1986 and performed in a completely different arrangement [upbeat] during their early tours, but the version that ended up on TOGETHER ALONE was a slow, dark ballad with a similar mood to Lindsey's "Street of Dreams" [which happens to be one of my favorite LB tunes].

My point is that, while CH included an older song on a newer album, they didn't just pull out the old tape from 1986 and shove the song into a group of newer recordings that feature a new, different production style. They gave the tune a tune-up, with a new arrangement and a new recording.

I was hoping that Lindsey would have, at the very least, remixed songs like "Down on Rodeo" to make them more closely match the production of the newer tunes.

Is this a deal-breaker for me? Of course not. I'll buy the CD the day it's released, and I will listen to it relentlessly. Obsessive fan that I am, I'm just being picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
I`m not too fond of the idea to first release songs on live outings and then after that put them on a follow up studio thing. Bleed to love her stole the place of another song on SYW, DOR and I am waiting were on the Soundstage DVD. The difference might be that DOR is a great song as studiversion whereas BTLH was boring me. Nevertheless I had liked new ones instead.
That's an interesting point. I never really considered that BTLH bumped another song from the track listing of SYW...I was just happy to have a finely mastered studio version of the tune! [I have to admit, though, that I burned out on it. Now, I can't stand the dated snare sound that Lindsey used on this track, which nearly ruins the song for me, and it was one of my all-time favorites.]

I guess I don't mind this practice of a "live version then studio version" release---that is, as long as the song in question is one that I like! I guess I was the only one lamenting the fact that a complete studio version of "My Little Demon" didn't end up on SYW. [In spite of what I said earlier in this same message, I'm still hoping it'll end up on the next electric guitar album!] Now, if "Running Through the Garden" had been on THE DANCE and then appeared on SYW as well, I'd have been upset. *grin*

mattl
Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Just for once, I'd love to hear Lindsey's voice with a direct, in-your-face production (....)

I don't dislike any of the new songs, but "Shut Us Down" still doesn't do a lot for me because it's nothing new for Lindsey.

Whaddayasay here Matt?
SUD has the most untouched direct in-your-face production Lindsey has ever recorded. AT LEAST since 1979. There are very little effects if at all. Even the guitar sounds ten times warmer than on any studiorecording I recall since Tusk. I understand that at first listen SUD -guitarwise- sounds like something as Say Goodbye, but the sound is as in your face as it can get with this recordingtechnique. In combination with the husky breathy vulnerable vocal I'd say it's a brand new approach. I just hope some of the unknown songs are strummers recorded with the SUD-production-mindset.

By the way, please post more, normally you say interesting and very music-related things that cut wood. I love that.

Old 09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Whaddayasay here Matt? you say interesting and very music-related things that cut wood. I love that.
I too will jump on the mattlfan bandwagon...
Old 09-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I understand that at first listen SUD -guitarwise- sounds like something as Say Goodbye....
"Shut Us Down" also sounds very much like the way he interpreted "Here Comes The Sun."

Gerald, did you notice my post in the Stevie forum (the thread about the Lindsey article in Billboard) where I mentioned that I'm finally starting to warm somewhat to "Shut Us Down"?
I thought I'd be able to hear your shout of glee all the way here in Pennsylvania!
Old 09-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
"Shut Us Down" also sounds very much like the way he interpreted "Here Comes The Sun."

Gerald, did you notice my post in the Stevie forum (the thread about the Lindsey article in Billboard) where I mentioned that I'm finally starting to warm somewhat to "Shut Us Down"?
I thought I'd be able to hear your shout of glee all the way here in Pennsylvania!
Warm up over here dude. I have to pass too much uninteresting bull in the stevieforum to keep following it.
I'm glad you're warming up for the song. What is it that makes you float towards it?

By the way, I tresspass anything about that harisson-cover. I have a new friend and I want to keep it that way.

Last edited by shackin'up; 09-13-2006 at 03:58 PM..
Old 09-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Warm up over here dude. I have to pass too much uninteresting bull in the stevieforum to keep following it.
I'm glad you're warming up for the song. What is it that makes you float towards it?
I actually think it had more to do with the mood I was in when I listened to it on the Lindsey MySpace page a few weeks ago. I was sitting there, daydreaming a little, and realized that I was actually enjoying the song for the first time and finding an appreciation for it.

I have a feeling that I'll absolutely love it live, the same way I did with "Say Goodbye." On stage he's forced to play more simplistically and the "fussiness" that bothers me is no longer an issue.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have a feeling that I'll absolutely love it live.
The thought alone, of him playing that one live, which I bet he will, and me missing that, can make me cry.

Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
May I ask your thoughts on DOR?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The thought alone, of him playing that one live, which I bet he will, and me missing that, can make me cry.
I'm hoping we get some good bootlegs of this tour! It's bad enough not being able to go, but I want to hear the UTS live in any way possible!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
May I ask your thoughts on DOR?
I know you weren't asking me but it's absolutely one of Lindsey best moments and I'm hoping it becomes a standard in the live sets. the Soundstage version is great!
Old 09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peestie View Post
the Soundstage version is great!
Have you heard the UTS version?
Old 09-13-2006, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
Have you heard the UTS version?
In which I hear no difference from the GOS version.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
In which I hear no difference from the GOS version.
Well in listening to it a few times, and even the first time, I don't care for how he sounds, especially the first few lines when it sounds like his chin is resting on his chest. Who am I to critique this...but that is my thought on DOR.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
{gag!} No, no, no, no, no...I was just starting to try to get into it. Now, I'll be hearing HCTS as I listen to it. Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t!!!!!

DAMN! Just when Gerald & I were starting to get along, J-Stew comes along and says something like the above...UGH!!

You troublemaker!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only one Ive heard so far is Down on Rodeo, but I LOVE IT. I never heard the GOS version, so this sounds pretty great to me. I like this version, I think, a little more than the Soundstage version because I think the album version doesn't sound as depressing. Castaway Dreams just finished DL!