User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Yes Christine has always written cheesy pop songs but the lyrics in the hits have been so much better than this offering. Honey in my tea? Magnet you are steel? It's awful.
Yes Christine has her fair share of cheesy lyrics in previous songs ....

So slip your hand inside of my glove
Hold me, hold me, hold me

I think the lyrics you've pointed out are on the cheesy side, and they bothered me slightly on the first listen, but I'm ok with them now.

The honey in tea, reminds me of Honey Hi and I love that song. Magnet and Steel make me think of the Walter Egan song and the 70's.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ IA. I like Christine's songs but her lyrics have always been mostly embarrassing in my opinion... They sound like a Hallmark card. Lindsey isn't some great poet but his can be quite clever and sarcastic but Christine is always like a rhyme a little kid would come up with.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Yes Christine has her fair share of cheesy lyrics in previous songs ....

So slip your hand inside of my glove
Hold me, hold me, hold me

I think the lyrics you've pointed out are on the cheesy side, and they bothered me slightly on the first listen, but I'm ok with them now.

The honey in tea, reminds me of Honey Hi and I love that song. Magnet and Steel make me think of the Walter Egan song and the 70's.
The line you cite from Hold Me isn't cheesy, imo. It's some clever, dirty sex punning.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Were here Meantime lyrics rich and descriptive? I thought Dan's were, but not hers.

The background vocals give it a beat that reminds me of Mick's percussion on Honey Hi.

I'm not crazy about the song, but it's more intricate than it sounds at first hearing.

Michele
Some of them were pretty good, I thought. A bit edgier than her usual. But I don't listen to Christine for the lyrics.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The line you cite from Hold Me isn't cheesy, imo. It's some clever, dirty sex punning.
I agree. I love Hold Me including that line, it's perfect for the song. I also now like the Honey in tea, and Magnet and Steel lines in the new song.

But I can also see how they could be viewed/described as cheesy.

I think Christine's songs and these kind of lyrics are so important to the balance in FM - she adds the not-so-serious, light heartedness
Old 04-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^ maybe there is a better word then cheesy.. one that doesn't sound so negative.

Last edited by MoonSister75; 04-28-2017 at 04:49 PM..
Old 04-28-2017, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
^^ IA. I like Christine's songs but her lyrics have always been mostly embarrassing in my opinion... They sound like a Hallmark card. Lindsey isn't some great poet but his can be quite clever and sarcastic but Christine is always like a rhyme a little kid would come up with.
Lindsey's last 3 solo albums had some great, complex lyrics. Did You Miss Me was the exception, not the rule. In My World is totally DYMM. Michele
Old 04-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Some of them were pretty good, I thought. A bit edgier than her usual. But I don't listen to Christine for the lyrics.
For months I had nightmares of being killed by the Jack of Hearts, after that album came out.

Calumny and Northern Star had beautiful words, though I was depressed they were not hers. Michele
Old 04-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I (mostly) agree with you - Street Angel was an abomination and the re-recording of Without You was exceptionally poor but I'm rather fond of The Other Side Of The Mirror to this day (I still think Rupert Hine is her best producer). The point I was making is that Stevie's standards can be incredibly low but she hasn't gone quite as low as "Feel About You" (or the In The Meantime album for that matter).
Both of those songs are masterpieces, compared to Cheaper than Free. Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 04-28-2017 at 06:15 PM..
Old 04-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Yes Christine has always written cheesy pop songs but the lyrics in the hits have been so much better than this offering. Honey in my tea? Magnet you are steel? It's awful.
Even Little Lies lyrics have a cleverness to them that is absent here. And I think SYLM's words are simple, wicked, woeful and wonderful.

Michele
Old 04-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
So you think she actually heard the new songs and said "this music sucks, I'm not doing it" ? While elsewhere saying she's sure its good because its Christine McVie, as though she's hasn't even heard it.
Yeah. That's not what happened at all. Her position had nothing to do with quality. Although, it amuses me to imagine that.

Plus, she was going to think Lindsey's songs were horrible no matter what. She thought Tusk was garbage. She's no barometer of good music. Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 04-28-2017 at 06:06 PM..
Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would not think these are the best songs on the album, by any stretch. I can believe that they were thought to be the most hooky, which is why they were released first. Michele
Old 04-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At the beginning r those keyboards or steel drums?

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
From what I have heard so far.....it's pretty average.
I am glad that this is not the final Album from Fleetwood Mac.
I'm glad for L and C that they got some music out there.
But would feel very deflated if this was the Macs swan song...
Who knows maybe after the given two years sabbatical ???

Agree.
Feel About You is pretty mediocre.
Let's not forget this is the person who wrote Honey Hi, Brown Eyes and Oh Daddy. She is capable of masterpieces, so I'm hoping these are just the lazy commercial singles and there are more innovative creative songs on the album.

I'm a tough crowd. But I want Obama level music and all I've heard so far is just Trump.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See, you guys taught me about the marimba. I wouldn't know what to call it without you. So, in concert, will Christine come to the middle of the stage with a marimba, Lindsey guitar and huddle together to give an intimate performance of this song?

I can see her just letting Brett do keyboards and she would just go up with a mic and a set of maracas to sing with Lindsey. It should be a sweet live presentation.

The recording ... the artificiality distracts me. Lindsey has sped up his voice and I keep looking around for a little girl in the room.

Lindsey, just because you and Stevie sounded like you were on helium on the Buckingham Nicks album, does not mean you have to leave the way you came. I love you. Don't go out like that, dude.

Michele