User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwn_eyes0511
Woah...hold your horses. I was not BASHING country music. I am a big fan of country music. You obviously missed my point...I was noting that the collection of "religious" songs came from a COUNTRY ARTIST...where generally they are more excepting of "Christian values and ideas".
You're right. I did miss that point. However, that means your argument that country artists and fans are more accepting of "Christian values and ideas" contradicts your argument that "it is more accepted in today’s world to sing about "f*cking" then it is to sing about the love of Christ." If country fans are more accepting of Christian ideology, and if country is one of the most popular genres of music, then we can deduct that morality is not only accepted in popular music, but it is in fact welcomed into popular music.

And, frankly, whenever popular artists have Christian themes in their music, they've often been greeted with extra legitimacy. Aretha Franklin, U2, and Johnny Cash aren't just popular/mainstream artists. They're icons in the music business who are almost universally respected.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To this whole christian music stuff going around, I dont know, but to me Music is Music. Everyone has different tastes, who cares if it is something you don't like...at least it is making someone happy.

Btw, anyone heard the Talking Heads BRICK yet?

....i hate to be a bitch, but it's supposed to be...

Enid: Oh my God. He just ordered a giant glass of milk!

Josh: That's a vanilla milkshake

Praise Ghost World

thanks moony
Old 10-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveMelody23
To this whole christian music stuff going around, I dont know, but to me Music is Music. Everyone has different tastes, who cares if it is something you don't like...at least it is making someone happy.

Btw, anyone heard the Talking Heads BRICK yet?
good point.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Metaphors are wonderous things.

Sorry, I really hate smilies. I think they are silly. I think the beautiful English language, when used correctly, makes a point all on its own.
Oh, I agree! You're not going to find any of those bouncy goofy bastards in any of my posts, either. I'd like to think that I'm pretty capable of conveying my tone without them, and that everyone else is capable of picking up on it.

Similes, though, are as dear to me as the first robin of spring...
Old 10-06-2005, 05:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
So were a ton of other mainstream artists, a point which you seem unable to address. Look at Johnny Cash's last big hit, 2003's "Hurt." Since it was originally a Nine Inch Nails song, I have a really hard time calling this country, but Mr. Cash was the type of guy who could cross all kind of musical boundaries. The song itself wasn't necessarily religious (originally, it was about the angst of wanting to beat heroin), but the video featured lots of footage of a movie about the life of Jesus that Mr. Cash produced himself. The result was a visual that suggested a man who was close to death calling out for Jesus. How Christian is that? That's the type of thing that is religious, crosses all kinds of musical genres, and was able to earn the respect of critics, consumers, and musicians. If anything, this one song probably earned him MORE fans. It was art at its purist, and deeply honest. There was no backlash.
Cash also changed Trent's line "I wear this crown of ****" to "I wear this crown of thorns," which really heightened the Christian imagery. Very classy, Johnny.

Anyway, you have fun with this, Steve, but I've given up. Repeating myself over and over only to be greeted with responses that don't really answer the point I was making or the issue I was raising just ain't my cup of tea.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveMelody23
To this whole christian music stuff going around, I dont know, but to me Music is Music.
I think that's part of the point Steve and I were making, actually.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Cash also changed Trent's line "I wear this crown of ****" to "I wear this crown of thorns," which really heightened the Christian imagery. Very classy, Johnny.
I prefer Trent's line, but taking note of Cash's condition and phase he was in this was very appropiate. You're forgiven, Johnny.

Old 10-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
I prefer Trent's line,
Can you imagine Cash singing it, though? The man may have had a penchant for throwing around some curse words (his exchange with the audience about this on Live at Folsom Prison is so priceless), but it never came into his music. Trent's line is just perfect for Trent. But Cash's change is just perfect for Cash. He took an already great line and by tweaking it just a little bit changed the whole tenor of the song and adopted it to his own persona and situation.

Kind of like Stevie with "Just Like A Woman," actually. One of the things that makes her version more than just a throwaway cover is that tiny but so very important and telling change of "pearls" to "pills." (I wonder why she didn't just change "fog" to "dogs" and "amphetamines" to "Klonopin" while she was at it?)
Old 10-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyqm
Can you imagine Cash singing it, though?
Yes. Perfectly. But not in the context of the situation and his interpretation of this song at this time. I think we agree.

Old 10-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ack! I completely forgot!

Four Tet, Everything Ecstatic. This is an incredible album just brimming with life and ideas; Kieran Hebden is very talented and is hopefully going to be doing this stuff for a long time.

If you think, "Meh, well, I don't really like dancy laptop music," just go to Amazon and take a listen to "Smile Around The Face." And if you don't have one around yours by the end of the song, well, then, there's really no helping you, is there?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Love Rob Thomas!!! I may be older than most of you but I certainly am not dead!! Great songwriter, sings well and easy on the eyes. Works for me
Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy
Love Rob Thomas!!! I may be older than most of you but I certainly am not dead!! Great songwriter, sings well and easy on the eyes. Works for me
Rob Thomas is the man! Love his new album...
Old 10-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
I should add that I love the new Rolling Stones album 'A Bigger Bang.' I was hooked the first listen.

I should have definitely thought of that one too! I love it. I also should have added Paul McCartney's new album "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard." It is excellent also.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin