User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I heard different, Ken said Lindsey was so funny he and Carol got really choked up quite often.
Did you just drag CAH into this?! Lol!!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
The only thing that stands out for me upon re-watching this video is how freaking hot Lindsey looks. Click. Re-watch.
i know. some aesthetically pleasing stuff in that vid!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

As someone who was there and saw everything in its context as it was happening, I can say that Stevie did seem to notice how some people were getting a kick out of her Lindsey-dissing and it did encourage her to do more than she perhaps would have otherwise. The interviewer also encouraged her to do it. Plus, she seemed to think a very viable way to compliment Dave was to talk about how much better it was to work with him than Lindsey. Still, her willingness to take that bait had me wondering if she and Lindsey had had some kind of recent fight.

I think it's worth noting, though, that it didn't dominate the entirety of the talk. Overall, the Q&A was enjoyable and informative. The Lindsey-dissing stuck in my craw and was the only unpleasant part, which is why I think it's getting focused on, but it wasn't like she spent the whole time trash-talking him. Indeed, as I said in the Stevie thread, she said a couple of nice things about him, too.

We all know she truly loves and respects him, despite the occasional spats. She said in the Q&A that a lot of their difficulties come from the fact that they still had a lot of baggage and they're not truly over each other. That's actually kind of a tribute to Lindsey, in a way.

However, I must say that as far as the re-play of the "Thrown Down" segment in her new documentary, not only do I think it's unnecessary, I think it detracts from the documentary. I was sitting in my theater seat cringing, and actually said out loud, "Oh no, not the Bob Dylan bit again!" I said this as a person who had dropped hundreds of dollars to travel to New York in order to see Stevie's Q&A and documentary, and someone who adores Stevie.

People who aren't hardcore fans are going to be rolling their eyes at her. She doesn't get that it makes her look pretentious and hyper-sensitive to everyone but the fans who love her and understand where she's coming from. She seriously thinks Lindsey was WAY out of line saying that, and seems to have no idea that a lot of other people are going "Um, well, Stevie, maybe it's not so horrific to have gently phrased constructive criticism." I have to wonder why Dave didn't suggest it be omitted. Maybe he just relishes the fact that she uses the Lindsey-dissing to lavish praise upon him about how much better he is to work with.

Again, though, that was just a small part of the documentary. Overall, it had a lot of insights and fascinating information about the songwriting process.

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-12-2012 at 01:28 PM..
Old 10-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i know. some aesthetically pleasing stuff in that vid!
Clearly, she can't handle that. HAhahaha...

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
As someone who was there and saw everything in its context as it was happening, I can say that Stevie did seem to notice how some people were getting a kick out of her Lindsey-dissing and it did encourage her to do more than she perhaps would have otherwise. The interviewer also encouraged her to do it. Plus, she seemed to think a very viable way to compliment Dave was to talk about how much better it was to work with him than Lindsey. Still, her willingness to take that bait had me wondering if she and Lindsey had had some kind of recent fight.

I think it's worth noting, though, that it didn't dominate the entirety of the talk. Overall, the Q&A was enjoyable and informative. The Lindsey-dissing stuck in my craw and was the only unpleasant part, which is why I think it's getting focused on, but it wasn't like she spent the whole time trash-talking him. Indeed, as I said in the Stevie thread, she said a couple of nice things about him, too.

We all know she truly loves and respects him, despite the occasional spats. She said in the Q&A that a lot of their difficulties come from the fact that they still had a lot of baggage and they're not truly over each other. That's actually kind of a tribute to Lindsey, in a way.

However, I must say that as far as the re-play of the "Thrown Down" segment in her new documentary, not only do I think it's unnecessary, I think it detracts from the documentary. I was sitting in my theater seat cringing, and actually said out loud, "Oh no, not the Bob Dylan bit again!" I said this as a person who had dropped hundreds of dollars to travel to New York in order to see Stevie's Q&A and documentary, and someone who adores Stevie.

People who aren't hardcore fans are going to be rolling their eyes at her. She doesn't get that it makes her look pretentious and hyper-sensitive to everyone but the fans who love her and understand where she's coming from. She seriously thinks Lindsey was WAY out of line saying that, and seems to have no idea that a lot of other people are going "Um, well, Stevie, maybe it's not so horrific to have gently phrased constructive criticism." I have to wonder why Dave didn't suggest it be omitted. Maybe he just relishes the fact that she uses the Lindsey-dissing to lavish praise upon him about how much better he is to work with.

Again, though, that was just a small part of the documentary. Overall, it had a lot of insights and fascinating information about the songwriting process.
wonder what would Bob Dylan think about SN comparing herself to him as a lyricist?

either way, if anyone who's not a diehard SN fan watches that movie, at least they get to experience some LB hotness in one of his sexiest phases

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wonder what would Bob Dylan think about SN comparing herself to him as a lyricist?

either way, if anyone who's not a diehard SN fan watches that movie, at least they get to experience some LB hotness in one of his sexiest phases
I've often wondered what Bob Dylan would think about that too.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I mean, in the end that's all that really matters, right?

I feel like I've watched that clip from DR at least a dozen times, and I still don't see how his comment could be taken as something so offensive... The man approaches the whole subject as if he's walking on eggshells! lol
Old 10-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll always remember an interview Cher did with Katie Couric. Katie was saying that Sonny couldn't sing and Cher gave her this death stare -- not that Cher thought Sonny could sing, she just really didn't stand for anyone else knocking Sonny, besides herself -- and Katie explained herself and said, "Sonny has this really high, nasal voice."

Cher: "So does Bob Dylan."

Michele
Old 10-12-2012, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I mean, in the end that's all that really matters, right?

I feel like I've watched that clip from DR at least a dozen times, and I still don't see how his comment could be taken as something so offensive... The man approaches the whole subject as if he's walking on eggshells! lol
I completely agree. I think he did it in a very kind and constructive way and he was right. And he wasn't knocking her songwriting, he was talking about basic writing rules that make the writing clearer and easier to understand.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindOfWoman90 View Post
I once read that we all must walk on eggshells when dealing with the Gemini personality.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I would rather listen to a Stevie Nicks song than a Bob Dylan song any day of the week. When I do listen to Dylan it's covers because I can't stand his voice. He has a gift with lyrics, yes, but so does she.

It's just I hate the way she acts like Lindsey should never dare to presume to suggest anything to her because she's just THAT awesome. Like I said, it makes me cringe. I love her so much and I hate to see her come off like that.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would rather listen to a Stevie Nicks song than a Bob Dylan song any day of the week. When I do listen to Dylan it's covers because I can't stand his voice. He has a gift with lyrics, yes, but so does she.

It's just I hate the way she acts like Lindsey should never dare to presume to suggest anything to her because she's just THAT awesome. Like I said, it makes me cringe. I love her so much and I hate to see her come off like that.
out of respect for people here i won't comment what i think of BD or SN as lyricists... and it doesn't really matter anyway, it's just my opinion.

Dylan does have annoying voice and it's getting worse all the time, but for some reason it doesn't bother me too much - it's actually endearing to me. unlike LB's young voice which i can't stand unless he was singing a really fast song like SHN or GYOW.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
unlike LB's young voice which i can't stand unless he was singing a really fast song like SHN or GYOW.
Wow, really? I think his voice on old performances like this is THE SEX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyzijG0I0k

Old 10-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wow, really? I think his voice on old performances like this is THE SEX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJyzijG0I0k
yeah... still no. however much i love any live version of ISA, earlier versions like this i love just b/c of guitar parts. later day live versions, voice is appropriate too.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Sometimes I wish the Lindsey vs. Stevie thing didn't always feel like Romney vs. Obama.

She was relating a very positive experience they had in the studio. Now, did she do it with extra drama and through Stevie-colored glasses? Of course she did. But the take-away is that even though they've had many bad times in the studio, this was just the opposite. And I think it made them both happy to know that all these years later, they can still click when they work together.

As far as people not being loving to him, I'm pretty sure the context was in the studio, where people like FM (including Stevie), Ken Caillat, etc. haven't always had the patience to indulge him. I hardly think she was implying he had no fans or that his family didn't love him.
Right on with everything you said. We all know that Lindsey is a pretty intense guy. Stevie, equally intense and dark in her own way, is just relating this through her own albeit biased personal experience. Let's face it, she is a genuine drama queen. And she's often very blunt with her comments, however misguided they may be.

What made me cringe was her speculation that she and Lindsey might have married and had children, and domestic bliss would occur. That is such a bull**** fairytale. Why on earth does she say such crap? It really shows lack of respect and insensitivity for the family that he has now. It's a stable life that Stevie and Lindsey would never have had, had they gone down that road. It would have become a train wreck.

I wish she would just drop that narrative. Lindsey has moved on a long time ago, but clearly Stevie hasn't.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 10-13-2012 at 05:47 PM..