The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Senior Ledgie

I notice this thread was started about 10 years ago I am very sad that Linda is now suffering from illness. To me they were very different artists despite being similar eras and having common associates.

There are some pretty young singers around nowadays but so many of them seem to be autotuned. In the 1970s though there seemed to be quite a few female artists who were not only very attractive, they also had the talent to match. Another one was a young Ann Wilson. I think these girls back in that day had as much if not more sex appeal than the young artists today, and they weren't going around practically naked all the time to prove it.

The live clips of LR with The Eagles in the 1970s amaze me with her power and range. Technically, she was far more accomplished than Stevie. Just about the only thing they had in common with their voices I think was they both used some vibrato. But Stevie has the edge on songwriting. Stevie was very prolific for a time but then seemed to lose a whole decade under the influence of Klonopin. If you are a writer of your own material and are a perfectionist, it can take longer to put out records. Touring is also a very grueling lifestyle and many performers have fallen prey to energy enhancing drugs since the 1950s to keep up the pace.

I'd pick Stevie as my personal fave but have a lot of respect for Linda Ronstadt regardless. I pray that she is doing relatively okay and that one day we have better methods of treating these conditions.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
I notice this thread was started about 10 years ago I am very sad that Linda is now suffering from illness. To me they were very different artists despite being similar eras and having common associates.

There are some pretty young singers around nowadays but so many of them seem to be autotuned. In the 1970s though there seemed to be quite a few female artists who were not only very attractive, they also had the talent to match. Another one was a young Ann Wilson. I think these girls back in that day had as much if not more sex appeal than the young artists today, and they weren't going around practically naked all the time to prove it.

The live clips of LR with The Eagles in the 1970s amaze me with her power and range. Technically, she was far more accomplished than Stevie. Just about the only thing they had in common with their voices I think was they both used some vibrato. But Stevie has the edge on songwriting. Stevie was very prolific for a time but then seemed to lose a whole decade under the influence of Klonopin. If you are a writer of your own material and are a perfectionist, it can take longer to put out records. Touring is also a very grueling lifestyle and many performers have fallen prey to energy enhancing drugs since the 1950s to keep up the pace.

I'd pick Stevie as my personal fave but have a lot of respect for Linda Ronstadt regardless. I pray that she is doing relatively okay and that one day we have better methods of treating these conditions.
You're right and I agree with you 100%.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is a current update on Linda Ronstadt- it's tragic that she lost her golden voice. This link includes a current video of Linda:

http://abc7news.com/entertainment/li...sease/1287434/

If you pay attention, there is also a bit of a clip of the late, amazing Glenn Frey with the Eagles.