Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I never thought anything, but it seems from being on the ledge that it's quite a beautiful state. Isn't it the smallest one? Now I think - sweet, sweet Pattie lives there. aka, Lindsey's girlfriend... But seriously, it sounds really nice from what you've said...

Wow, Amber you are right about everything.

Here a photo from Warwick which is in the West Bay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GaspeeJuly32004 064PTPS.jpg (44.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WelshWitchPMD
Wow, Amber you are right about everything.

Here a photo from Warwick which is in the West Bay.
oh.my.god. beautiful...*sigh*

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
oh.my.god. beautiful...*sigh*

Thanks, I took that photo on July 3, 2004. Rhode Island is called the Ocean State.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Thanks, I took that photo on July 3, 2004. Rhode Island is called the Ocean State.
well, you can't get better than that! the ocean state? hey, you guys aren't fog shrouded all summer like us, are you? (as amber contemplates moving to a place that has summer... )

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
well, you can't get better than that! the ocean state? hey, you guys aren't fog shrouded all summer like us, are you? (as amber contemplates moving to a place that has summer... )
Hmm, not really a fog maybe but a haze in the summer.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hmm, not really a fog maybe but a haze in the summer.
ah...does it stay cool, or get hot. I've heard delicious rumours that you can swim in the north atlantic in the summer without getting frostbite...

Old 12-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
ah...does it stay cool, or get hot. I've heard delicious rumours that you can swim in the north atlantic in the summer without getting frostbite...

It gets really hot sometimes in the summer and really cold sometimes (like right now ) in the winter.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It gets really hot sometimes in the summer and really cold sometimes (like right now ) in the winter.
sounds fine. As you may know, it's 72 degrees here all summer. well, mostly. until late September...

Old 12-27-2004, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara1998
All the Brits I've come in contact with here on the Ledge are great! However, I have a friend who lives in England with her hubby, who is stationed there, and I've heard nothing from her but how badly some of the British treat the Americans. When she is in public, she tries to keep from talking so no one knows she's an American. I think she's made a few friends over there, but says she still dosen't feel completely comfortable. Other then that, I've always percieved Brits as funny, non-emotional (stiff upper lip), and intelligent.
I don't think the British public have a problem with Americans at all.. Certainly most of the nicest and well mannered people I have met have been American.

I do however think there is a feeling of anti-Bush here and that he has given America a rather bad name in the world arena with his war mongering antics, resistance to sign up to global emission reductions and his general blundering nature as a person.

It doesn't help matters that Tony Blair is so far up his ass that I think the average Brit blames Bush for that too because Blair has spent too much time backing Bush and then defending his own actions than running the UK and looking after Great Britain's interests..
Old 12-27-2004, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847

What does everyone think about Texas? I know what you think, Brian. LOL
Texas? Why I think of......

Christy

J.R Ewing....

The electric chair..

George W Bush

The Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Old 12-27-2004, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I don't think the British public have a problem with Americans at all.. Certainly most of the nicest and well mannered people I have met have been American.

I do however think there is a feeling of anti-Bush here and that he has given America a rather bad name in the world arena with his war mongering antics, resistance to sign up to global emission reductions and his general blundering nature as a person.

It doesn't help matters that Tony Blair is so far up his ass that I think the average Brit blames Bush for that too because Blair has spent too much time backing Bush and then defending his own actions than running the UK and looking after Great Britain's interests..
I have always wondered what the percentage is that feels that way. I have met Europeans who like Bush and vice versa. I am not saying W, or America for that matter, is loved there - but many people seemingly suppose W and America are universally hated and I just have not seen that.

I am just stating what I have seen. I am not saying what I saw is the reality. I am just saying I saw it

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-27-2004, 07:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mostly think of Rain and pasty skin. but that, of course, isn't universally true. I also think that overall, brits are more clever and funny than we are. I also think of being able to smoke in all the pubs, and that everyone drinks more than us. I also think of black people with british accents, which is weird to me everytime i hear it. Oh, I also think of your cops not having guns, which, if it's true, makes your country really, really, cool....
Rain, yeah... LOTS of rain... Pasty skin kinda goes hand in hand with lots of rain...

Ahh, smoking in pubs... Yes they want to change that one here too..

Not all police officers are unarmed... We do have armed response teams, SO19 and such. And all airport officers have been armed with Browning 9mm's and MP9's for years..

Typical... I'm offline for a bit and the thread moves right on away!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks to some commercial jingle it's "The biggest little state in the union!" hehe. I think it's the RI tourism jingle, right? I used to go to Providence for concerts, I still do occasionally. They're known to have great food down there. There's some kind of fire festival on the canal or river? The Farelly brothers like to make movies set there. Newport is a playground for rich people and middle class wanna be rich people and playboys! There's also the mansions there that are gorgeous but were merely "summer homes" for some notable richies of days past. I guess RI is pretty kewl. Hi neighbor
Old 12-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I have always wondered what the percentage is that feels that way. I have met Europeans who like Bush and vice versa. I am not saying W, or America for that matter, is loved there - but many people seemingly suppose W and America are universally hated and I just have not seen that.

I am just stating what I have seen. I am not saying what I saw is the reality. I am just saying I saw it

It's interesting because generally the things people dislike America for are in my opinion fast food and stuff like that.. Not actually Americans themselves... I think there's a certain distaste in certain circles for the gun culture, "supersize" culture that has been imported and also the "we are the best" mentality. It does piss me off myself when I hear people go on about "if it ain't invented in America it ain't ****" because I have come across it in the past and I think there is an underlying mentality of being the number one country in the world within the more arrogant citizens.

As a nation I don't think there was an image problem over here under Clintons term. Most people I talk to actually liked the guy and thought his foreign policies and the way he carried America on the world stage were good for the country.. Bush on the other hand is the total opposite.. It's difficult to see it if you don't live outside the US because he really doesn't promote America well on the world stage.. I'm not sure if he knows or even cares about most countries and there is almost no PR work done by him in the UK. Blair was close to Clinton and is close to Bush so I don't see his personal relationship with the Prime Minister to be the cause, just his lack of knowledge of world affairs, diplomacy and restraint instead of going in guns blazing first and asking questions later....

Just my ideas...
Old 12-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes so basically Bush has tarnished the US reputation and how we are viewed around the world to no end, and he has "four more years" to make it worse...can our reputation rebound in 4 yrs? Can what John Kerry wanted to do this year, be done after 4 more years of Bush...who knows...we will have to wait and see. But WE CAN as Americans, in some way, try to change things ourselves...make it our mission to change this unfair reputation our country has been given...how can we do that? Well I'm open to suggestions on that one..

NOW , my perception of NY is wind, and snow...and millions of business people running through the streets of NYC...women running through puddles in high heeled pumps, men running in briefcases, yelling at taxis (ive never even rode in a taxi before, isnt that pathetic? lol)...homeless people begging for money...pocketbooks being stolen off women arms...that's my idea of NYC

Chris