The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:03 PM

I wouldn't be too worried about the merchandising. If you're bothered by that, swing by the Vatican some time. Or take a trip to Lourdes or Fatima. Plenty of merchandising.

As for whether Mel Gibson is anti-semitic, or blames the Jews for the death of Christ, the answer is in his adherence to beliefs pre-Vatican II. It's kinda like Trent Lott saying Strom Thurmond should have been president.
Old 03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
I wouldn't be too worried about the merchandising. If you're bothered by that, swing by the Vatican some time. Or take a trip to Lourdes or Fatima. Plenty of merchandising.
Oh I glad you brought it because now I get to haul out my Vatican story

I was on the "first" roof of St. Peter's on my way to see the inside of the dome and then to climb to the cupula (sp.?) on the very top (BTW WELL worth the climb if you can make it and deal with being in tight spaces, etc.). Well, in true Vatican fashion, there is a gift shop there I bought some post cards and was going to write something on the outside of my three bags because they were all going to different people I was meeting later, etc. The head 5 foot tall nun fromt he Philippines told me I could use a pen to do this. Well, the 4.5 foot nun apparently was not having any on that when they have pen o plenty to sell. She stood up on a box and ripped the pen from my hands and started shaking it at my 6'4" self. Needless to say, I then bought a like $10 bic pen with the words Vatican on it. Perhaps Mel and this nun know each other

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-01-2004, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
No thanks.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
I do not see it an inappropriate at all. I mean I think the people are buying it not out of derision, but because they believe in it. Plus, all movies market this way if they can.

What exactly is inappropriate about it?

I am not being a smart ass; I just don't see where you are coming from
Merchandising for a torture movie? Faux crucifixion nails for jewelry? Not only is it inappropriate, but it's tacky and lacks taste.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
Merchandising for a torture movie? Faux crucifixion nails for jewelry? Not only is it inappropriate, but it's tacky and lacks taste.
But - the difference for me is that they are selling religious symbols, etc., from a movie that is about that religious belief. Would it be any different if a Christian Goods store sold them and made no reference to the movie. Believe me they do and have for a long time I have no problems with it. But, I guess I grew up with it, albeit to a lesser degree. So, I am not that surprised I think this perhaps is one of those things being religious makes it easier to understand

Old 03-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But - the difference for me is that they are selling religious symbols, etc., from a movie that is about that religious belief. Would it be any different if a Christian Goods store sold them and made no reference to the movie. Believe me they do and have for a long time I have no problems with it. But, I guess I grew up with it, albeit to a lesser degree. So, I am not that surprised I think this perhaps is one of those things being religious makes it easier to understand
yes, it's about the religious symbolism...when I was in high school, long before this movie came out, we got a cross made out of nails on necklaces that had some religious statement on them...during a church retreat...these things have been around for a while...
Old 03-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gimme a break, man. They aren't selling religious symbols, they're selling plastic junk to cash in on the latest Jesus fad. This whole movie is about money and they know that the people who will see it will probably buy the junk that goes with it.

Before this movie came along, I never heard of "Jesus nails" as jewelry. Crosses? Yup. Nails? No. Don't tell me that they are religious symbols, pal. They're pieces of junk that people buy because watching that filthy flick made them feel more Christian and they feel that if they buy a nail to hang around their neck, they'll be closer to Jesus. Mel Gibson preyed on those exact feelings and I find it abhorrable.

But that's just me.

Why don't we make a movie about slavery and then sell mini whips that latch on to belt buckles? I'd love to see the reaction to that one.

Old 03-01-2004, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Gimme a break, man. They aren't selling religious symbols, they're selling plastic junk to cash in on the latest Jesus fad. This whole movie is about money and they know that the people who will see it will probably buy the junk that goes with it.

Before this movie came along, I never heard of "Jesus nails" as jewelry. Crosses? Yup. Nails? No. Don't tell me that they are religious symbols, pal. They're pieces of junk that people buy because watching that filthy flick made them feel more Christian and they feel that if they buy a nail to hang around their neck, they'll be closer to Jesus. Mel Gibson preyed on those exact feelings and I find it abhorrable.

But that's just me.

Why don't we make a movie about slavery and then sell mini whips that latch on to belt buckles? I'd love to see the reaction to that one.
Apples and Oranges in that slavery is not the impassioned belief of millions of people and the selling of whips, etc., would be the furthering of that abolished institution, etc. Nor has slavery, lasted the test of time and helped countless millions like Religion has. I know I know religion has hurt as well - but the overwhelming effect of it has been good in that dedicated people care for the poor, sick, etc. and have done so for thousands of years all in the name of God.

AND - I can assure you that they have been selling this stuff for many hundreds if not thousands of years prior to this movie. If you don't believe me, go to your local Christian religious store or look at all the icons in art (which at the time was sold or commissioned) since the fall of the roman empire and, for that matter, the Egyptian, Greek, and Roman sculpture of gods, etc., of their religions. Also, what is plastic junk to some apparently is a religious symbol to others. No one ever said the cross around a Christian's neck had to be golden and many cannot afford such luxuries Moreover, the people buying this stuff are buying it for its symbolic value and have been doing so for centuries.

If you are objecting to the intent of the sellers - so be it. But the people buying it are buying it to affirm their faith.

Last edited by strandinthewind; 03-01-2004 at 05:52 PM..
Old 03-01-2004, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Before this movie came along, I never heard of "Jesus nails" as jewelry. Crosses? Yup. Nails? No.
Um...I just stated in my last post that I, more than eight years ago did indeed receive a nail necklace...they are profound religious symbols in my religion and they've been selling them/giving them by themselves or in cross form.

It may very well be about people making money....but as someone stated before there will always be people who will buy that stuff...it's been going on for a helluva long time...
Old 03-01-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob67
Just curious...how is he "gay baiting?"

Rob
On a couple of different occasions he has made ridiculously childish and nasty remarks in the press about gay guys. Silly crap. But it still pissed me off. He has stopped doing those things in interviews - he got a lot of guff for those remarks. So what next ? He has a homo tossed out a window in a movie, and it is directed in such a way that it becomes a "cheering point" from the audience perspective. Way to get a group to cheer and applaud the death of a homo, Mel ! What a tough guy !

Since the man has bred like a rat, odds are one of those kids is going to be on my team. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Diss...

Quote:
Before this movie came along, I never heard of "Jesus nails" as jewelry. Crosses? Yup. Nails? No.
I have a cross necklace made out of nails. There has ALWAYS been Christian themed jewelry, it's just that now that the movie is out, they are pushing the jewelry more...but it's always been out there. Christian bookstores sell rings, necklaces, etc.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh I glad you brought it because now I get to haul out my Vatican story

I was on the "first" roof of St. Peter's on my way to see the inside of the dome and then to climb to the cupula (sp.?) on the very top (BTW WELL worth the climb if you can make it and deal with being in tight spaces, etc.). Well, in true Vatican fashion, there is a gift shop there I bought some post cards and was going to write something on the outside of my three bags because they were all going to different people I was meeting later, etc. The head 5 foot tall nun fromt he Philippines told me I could use a pen to do this. Well, the 4.5 foot nun apparently was not having any on that when they have pen o plenty to sell. She stood up on a box and ripped the pen from my hands and started shaking it at my 6'4" self. Needless to say, I then bought a like $10 bic pen with the words Vatican on it. Perhaps Mel and this nun know each other
Charming the ladies, as always.

- Jake
Old 03-02-2004, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sparky said:
Since the man has bred like a rat, odds are one of those kids is going to be on my team. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I have seen a lot of hate directed to ward Mel Gibson on this site.
Somethings may perhaps be true, others unfounded.
I feel a lot Of hate and anger coming from you Sparky. I don't know your story. But, I feel some gay people are bashing Gibson and Christians on this ledge. Like i said, maybe some of it is founded. But some of you are doing the same thing to us Christians as what you accuse some of us doing to you. Your hate and anger shows.
And what is up with , " the man breeds like a rat".
Yes Mel has five kids, what is wrong with that? I happen to have five kids also, and they are a blessing. End up on your team. VS whos team. I didn't think we were on teams here. You want to be accepted for who you are, then accept us for who we are. I do not know all the things Gibson has said, but you have the same intolerance.
Also many of you have judged the movie with out even seeing it.
If this movie was about someone else besides, Jesus. Would you guys even care.

Alison
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Alison
Sparky said:

I have seen a lot of hate directed to ward Mel Gibson on this site.
Somethings may perhaps be true, others unfounded.
I feel a lot Of hate and anger coming from you Sparky. I don't know your story. But, I feel some gay people are bashing Gibson and Christians on this ledge. Like i said, maybe some of it is founded. But some of you are doing the same thing to us Christians as what you accuse some of us doing to you. Your hate and anger shows.
And what is up with , " the man breeds like a rat".
Yes Mel has five kids, what is wrong with that? I happen to have five kids also, and they are a blessing. End up on your team. VS whos team. I didn't think we were on teams here. You want to be accepted for who you are, then accept us for who we are. I do not know all the things Gibson has said, but you have the same intolerance.
Also many of you have judged the movie with out even seeing it.
If this movie was about someone else besides, Jesus. Would you guys even care.

Alison
I think you're reading too much into what sparky posted, doll.

Have you never heard the expressions "breeds like a rat" and "playing on the other team"? They're just common sayings and I see no intolerance. We're having a debate about our feelings on religion and this terrible movie, please don't turn it into a ridiculous thing. Not everyone is going to agree, as evidenced with the opinions I share, which are obviously minority opinions. No one is posting out of spite, they're posting out of the passion they have for this topic.

Maybe you view Gibson as a wonderful person, others don't. Many of his comments have been obvioulsy ill thought-out, rude, and offensive. People are going to call on him for what they view as insensitivity and rudeness.

Food for thought.

Old 03-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I say if Gibsom wants to make this movie more power to him. I have nothing against it except perhaps that he has said he was faithful to the four recognized Gospels when in fact he was not. For example, Pilate's wife had no dialogue to speak of in the Gospels. Yet, she is portrayed as a June Cleaver type character in the movie in an apparent effort to soften the portrayal of Pilate in contrast to the Jews. Also, Satan as a woman following Christ. Where is that in the Gospels? So, my problem with Gibson's movie is it is not the 100% accurate portrayal he and many fundamentalist Christians taut it as.

Let it be said by me so there is no confusion at all from me, I think religion is a great thing. I think without it, many people would die of neglect, etc. So, I love religion and am all for it when it is used that way. Moreover, the overall message of "The Passion" is great.

What I cannot and will not ever abide in any way is people using the U.S. Federal Govt., or any form of govt. for that matter, to force their religion on the rest of society. It is possible to be a great American and not believe in the Christian God, just ask any of the Jewish-Americans, Muslim-Americans, etc. It is possible for an American Citizen not to want to enter the Christian Kingdom of God or have any religion at all and still be a kind, loving person - I know many. Yet, these very people are routinely denied the same rights freely accorded to Christians without question. Why? I think it is because these fundamentalist Christians, to use their word, "tolerate" others, but think this country is exclusively their country.

Conversely, it seemingly is not possible from what I see and have seen over the years of my life for the vast majority of fundamentalist Christians to get this point. They will never concede that the U.S. is not a fundamentalist Christian state, when it clearly was not founded as one. They will never stop their efforts of assimilation until everyone is focrced to be like them, whatever that means. Then, they act shocked when Americans who do not believe what they believe act put upon and dare to raise their hand to the fundamentalist Christian majority in this country. A good example of this is slavery, which the fundamentalists used The Bible to support, and interracial marriage, which the findamentalist used The Bible to block and condemned all such unions to Hell based of the word of God. Now the fundamentalists (and others) are stirring up the same tired hatred pot against gay people and anyone else who is in a relationship and wants the money saving and venerated rights afforded only to the straight marriages there are now. They once again cannot see past their blind hatred of gay people (who have done nothing to them personlly to warrant such hate) to recognize that the U.S. Const. protects everyone including people who do not believe in any type of god. And do not even get me started on the money raising aspects of the "homosexuals are responsible for the ills of the world and for all of the bad things in your life - give me money and I will pray to God (I have His ear) to stop them" hate speech they spew.

Another good example of this is the "under God" phrase in the Pledge. That phrase was not always there. It got there because the fundamentalist Christians (who really wanted "under Jesus") used Communism and its intolerance of religion as a vehicle to wedge that phrase in the Pledge. In other words, the phrase "under God" while seemingly innocuous is in the Pledge to stop communism from coming to America. That is the silliest thing I have ever heard in my life. Moreover, now that communism is no longer a credible threat, they act like it will be an offense to God to take it out even though everytime they say it it is a lie - America is most decidedly not one nation under the Christian or any other god.

Their condescending and patriarchal behavior makes me sick to my stomach because clearly all Christians are not like that.

Thus, my complete spite for Pat Robertson and his and his ilks' intolerance of anyone not like them.

I hope that helped

Last edited by strandinthewind; 03-02-2004 at 05:02 PM..