Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually suspect he's a genuine cheeseball. lol

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I seriously think I'm gonna stop watching this show. I mean. Don't get me wrong. I got over A LOOONG TIME AGO being overly disappointed when my favorite gets eliminated. That's all good. But this sick sh*t with the way they made a spectacle of Tatiana -- goading her about her psychic, etc. is just too much.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
I seriously think I'm gonna stop watching this show. I mean. Don't get me wrong. I got over A LOOONG TIME AGO being overly disappointed when my favorite gets eliminated. That's all good. But this sick sh*t with the way they made a spectacle of Tatiana -- goading her about her psychic, etc. is just too much.
Well, I'm glad you've had an epiphany. It is not subtle anymore- it's just so painfully obvious that AI is pushing through their chosen picks, voters be damned. I mean, that shouty little slutbag with the pink hair got through along with the oil barge and the dead-wife-dude. Sure, Danny hit the right musical and emotional notes to make it through, but the other two were simply dreadful. I just can't believe that a disarmingly sweet nutjob like Tatiana didn't get through; she really was the only reason to watch, and she wasn't even that bad last night. If she doesn't make it as a wild card, I think AI ratings will tank like never before. Shame on them.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I seriously was screaming when Danny got through. This thread has made me realize just how much I don't like the fact he's playing the sympathy card.

While I was upset that Anoop got eliminated, I was happy that at least Michael got through, he seems like a good personality, and he doesn't completely suck.

I'm excited for next week, to see what happens. Hopefully some better performances?

OH- and a quick question. I hardly pay attention to Ryan, so exactly how will the other 3 of the top 12 be picked?
I know there's a 3 advance each week thing, but with three weeks, three times three equals...9. lol.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^There's a Wild Card show on Thurs of the third SemiFinals Week. On that show, the judges will choose the remaining three to create The Top 12.

How, exactly, those Wild Cards will be chosen is unknown. I don't know if they'll invite a bunch of the semi-finalists back to perform and then make the decision at-that-moment. I don't know if it will just be an announcement, together with retreads of their performances.

Also, most controversially, there is precendent on the show for reaching back into the audition process beyond the official Semi-Finalists for a Wild Card pick.

So who knows?

I mean, one would have thought that Ryan would have announced last night: "And the remaining nine still have a shot for our wild card slots!" or something. In addition to being evil, the show is also a mess.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well, I'm glad you've had an epiphany. It is not subtle anymore- it's just so painfully obvious that AI is pushing through their chosen picks, voters be damned. Shame on them.

TRUER WORDS HAVE NEVER BEEN UTTERED.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can't believe Michael made it through. Gawd, he's such a Broseph. Bleeccch. I can barely stomach the results shows, artery-clogging cheezy numbers. But I did watch the GYOW snippet. I don't care for their unplugged, slowed tempo version. I hit the ff button 2 seconds into the Mraz song.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...gokey-advance/

“American Idol” Says Farewell to Anoop, Tatiana as Grace, Sarver, Gokey Advance
2/19/09, 8:34 am EST

Spunky belter Alexis Grace, country-soul crooner Michael Sarver and hoarse howler Danny Gokey advanced to the season eight finals of American Idol last night, meaning Rock Daily favorite Anoop Desai and the duchess of drama Tatiana Del Toro didn’t make the cut — they’ll both be likely candidates for the Wild Card round, along with screen-time-starved Ricky Braddy. The show wasn’t clear as to which male singer received the most votes, and which made the Top Three with the third-most votes overall.

Twenty-four million votes were cast Tuesday night after the first 12 semifinal performances, which means perhaps the same number were watching on Wednesday and pondering the heavy questions: does Gokey have an eyeglass sponsor, or is he picking up new frames at some kind of Vision Depot every night? Why did Idol producers only air a blip of the pretty awesome footage of Carrie Underwood and David Cook covering Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”? (The pair performed at the recent opening of the American Idol Experience at Walt Disney World, where all seven Idol winners gathered together for the first time ever.) Come to think of it, how come there’s never been a Mac-themed Idol week?

Wednesday night also brought the first painfully awkward group number of the season, a less-than-spirited cover of Jason Mraz’s “I’m Yours” that sounded like Simon Cowell’s worst karaoke nightmare (note that the camera never cut to him during the song). Producers also packed in a reminder that past Idol hopefuls continue to live after they’re voted off, showcasing a duet between last season’s rock-ish contestants Carly Smithson and Michael Johns.

As for the top singers of the night, all three had lots of screen time playing up their difficult backstories during early episodes: young mom Grace, roughneck Sarver and widowed Gokey make for heart-tugging TV, don’t they? How long until we find out whether Idol votes are counted the same way Florida ballots were during the 2000 election? Yes, we welcome your conspiracy theories here at Rock Daily. Share them in the comments.

Last edited by Livia; 02-19-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Remember, I called it. I predicted there will be a Mac theme night!

Quote:
Not sure if this would even be a scoop worth getting, but after your post today with Mike Darnell's TV Week Interview, I thought this might be of interest for further research:

Darnell said: We’re going to big it up. (Musicians) will have to be ridiculously big this season for us to have them as mentors.

So I predict that Fleetwood Mac will be a mentor. Evidence:

1. On the Arizona episode, They kept repeating that Stevie Wright is named after Stevie Nicks

2. There are some Stevie Nicks / Kara Laguoardia Aiport connections (via Platinum Weird/Dave Stewart)
http://mjsbigidolblog.com/2009/01/16...latinum-weird/

3. Fleetwood Mac have a tour -- called Unleashed -- to promote this spring (and a rerelease of Rumours, which is like the fifth best selling album of all time -- ergo: "big it up")

4. The following is the only break during the upcoming MONTHS-long Fleetwood Mac Unleashed tour (listed with concurrent Idol weeks via heroesarehardtofind.blogspot.com):

Tuesday, March 31 Top 9
Tuesday, April 7 Top 8
Tuesday, April 14 Top 7

ETA:

5. They included "Don't Stop" among the group song numbers

6. They singled out the David Cook/Carrie Underwood "Go Your Own Way" performances

7. Thanks to Livia:

Alexis wants to work with FM (more foreshadowing?):

Q: What mentors would you like to work with?

A: Aretha Franklin, of course. Fleetwood Mac, I would love. And Bruce Springsteen.

Full interview with her and Danny and Michael here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/160...9/story.jhtml#

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-19-2009 at 07:10 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Remember, I called it. I predicted there will be a Mac theme night!
I don't think it's going to happen quite simply because I do not think there are enough Mac hits that lend themselves well to a singing competition; these are generally not singers' songs. In general, they do not contain a lot of range and contain lengthy instrumental passages. And few of them allow for mellismatic vocal acrobatics and soaring finales. And because Lindsey and Christine sing with such understatement, without vibrato, any attempt to belt their songs or twist them into soul-shouting workouts would probably sound hackneyed and over-the-top, e.g., Bekka Bramlett.

So what would work on AI?

-Don't Stop
-Tango in the Night
-Go Your Own Way
-Gypsy (this is a bit of a stretch)
-Songbird

Can't think of anything else... ?
Old 02-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I feel a resurgence coming on. I will keep watching the show. Now, my purpose to avenge Tatiana by helping to crush Danny Goatkey.

So that's healthy. . .

RE: Fleetwood Mac Night.

Well they did two Beatles Nights last year. . . so. . . it's possible.

Plus there's rumours that there will be duets figured into this year's competition. . .

Potential songs for Idolness:

Landslide
Rhiannon
Never Going Back Again (ala Over the Rainbow on the eukelele (spelling? lol)
Gypsy
Seven Wonders
Everywhere
Little Lies
Sara
etc I don't know. Idol can ruin ANYthing.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't disagree with any of you about the producers skewing the public's votes by telling certain contestants' stories. However, I honestly feel that Alexis & Danny had the best performances this week. I don't believe Michael deserved to get in - the dude could barely make it through the song he was so out of breath. I think Anoop was better. Hell, even Tatiana was better.

As for the harsh treatment of Tatiana, they're definitely playing her up. However, what did she expect after making such a spectacle of herself in the first few shows? Her reaction was very unprofessional as well. Everyone was upset they didn't get through, but they didn't break down & ignore those who made it. Suck it up, smile & say congrats, then go behind everyone & cry your eyes out.

I think there are definitely songs that would work well on Idol, esp. if they do it when there are only 7 or 8 contestant left. I wonder if they would also allow them to branch off into solo material - you wouldn't think so, but you never know. Also - I'm trying to recall if every song was a "hit" during past mentor shows - is it possible someone might try out a rare gem? Beautiful Child, since it was done on the last tour? That's Alright, if someone wants a country vibe? Probably not. Think there's any chance in hell they would allow the contestants to do any pre-SN/LB material? I'm thinking no.

These are, IMO, familiar enough to most people in the general audience & are theoretically do-able by the contestants:

Landslide
Over My Head
Say You Love Me
Rhiannon
Dreams (I've said for years this is a perfect Idol song)
Go Your Own Way (although Michael Johns' version last year bored me to tears)
You Make Loving Fun
Sara
Hold Me
Big Love
Little Lies
Everywhere

Don't Stop or World Turning could work well for group performance. I shudder to think they would attempt The Chain - on that same note, I don't think anyone should attempt GDW, Silver Springs or Gypsy.

I'm changing my mind about there actually being a chance it might happen after reading those points in the Darnell interview. As much as I fear that most tunes will be butchered, I still want to see/hear it. Glutton for punishment I guess.

And I too was clueless about just how the Wild Card people would be picked. If the judges are going to take 1 person from each group, I think Anoop or Tatiana are most deserving based on their performances this week. I'm holding out hope for Jackie since her voice is so original & she's comfortable on stage, but her performance was so spastic I think she blew it.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are next week's 12:

http://www.americanidol.com/top_36/group_2

The only ones I rmember at all are Allison, Jasmine, Adam, Kai & Matt B. Well, Nick too but who cares.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
Here are next week's 12:

http://www.americanidol.com/top_36/group_2

The only ones I rmember at all are Allison, Jasmine, Adam, Kai & Matt B. Well, Nick too but who cares.
Is Chicken Little 2 in this batch or the next batch?
Old 02-19-2009, 04:40 PM
BTFLCHLD
This message has been deleted by BTFLCHLD.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Alexis wants to work with FM (more foreshadowing?):

Q: What mentors would you like to work with?

A: Aretha Franklin, of course. Fleetwood Mac, I would love. And Bruce Springsteen.

Full interviews with her and Danny and Michael here:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/160...9/story.jhtml#

Last edited by Livia; 02-20-2009 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Livia, I added to the list. Me thinks so!

ETA: Does this mean I have to like Alexis now? lol

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 02-19-2009 at 07:20 PM..