User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I loved that article. It's pretty funny. It's harsh and impatient, but I can't disagree with any of it.

To be honest, I think that the root of anyone's "food issues" can be very different. For some, it is as easy as making a decision, and no longer being self indulgent. I know that I have put on weight in the last year or so simply because I have been lazy and self indulgent. Too busy to go to the gym. Times of being depressed. Stressed out so I decide I will go ahead and eat pizza, or go out with friends and have 4 or 5 drinks. And I like tequila, so it's 400 calories a pop. I know exactly what I am doing. Then I go home and the next day bitch at myself because I have guttage. But it's my own fault.

That is way different than people who have a serious emotional problem with food. For whatever reason, there are people who use food for comfort. Who use it as a means to treat their own depression, anger, sadness and doubts. It's something that is learned at a very early age. Hell, it might even have a chemical component. For some, it may take a good shrink to help unravel how that thought process works. What I do is the same thing, just on a smaller scale.

I have a dear friend I have known for over thirty years. She's like my little sister. She has always been heavy. Since the crib ! She acknowledges she will never be skinny. She just doesn't have the body type. But about 18 months ago, she totally hit a wall. Her bad back was being exacerbated by her weight, and by her very large breasts. The doctor prescribed steroid shots to help her deal with the pain and the fact that her entire right leg was numb from a pinched nerve. For over a year. He told her it would help to take the weight off. That it might help to avoid surgery. So, in less than a year, she lost 85 pounds. Exercise and eating differently. While working about 70 hours a week. No drugs, no stomach surgery. She had the back surgery, and is soon getting her breasts reduced. She is wearing a pants size that she hasn't fit into since she was 12.

Is her story typical ? Hardly. But I never thought she would do this. She didn't either. She was used to eating whatever, whenever. And was okay with it. Now she's a total rock star and is happier than she has ever been. I should know, I have known her since she was 3 !

Anyway, a little success story.

I will weigh in tomorrow, and get on board with all of the rest of this.
This post is love. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your friend's story.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But there is a way to enjoy food and not be a friggin' Conshohocken Dugong Wamu about it....
Oh snap!
Old 10-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
. . . That's how I feel. For example, I love Mexican food. There is NO WAY I am going to give up chips and hot bean dip. I just won't eat them often. And I love my maragritas. Paula and Strand can testify. Life is too short to live like you are in food prison. But there is a way to enjoy food and not be a friggin' Conshohocken Dugong Wamu about it.

Plus at this point I feel kind of like when Stevie says she is almost sixty, still pretty cute, and she rocks. I'm 40, I still have good hair, and I can get laid when I want. Oh yeah, and I rock too!
Lord Child - you do like a Tequila

Also, you have "important" hair

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Life is too short to live like you are in food prison. But there is a way to enjoy food and not be a friggin' Conshohocken Dugong Wamu about it.
How do I love you?
Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
Sorry if you don't like my "I didn't eat a donut" or "I didn't eat candy" this week - but those are very real parts of my struggle - which is what I thought the point of these threads was - so talk about your weight loss journey. So everyone else can do that, but when I do it's whining and sobbing??
Yes, Deanna, because you talk about it both more frequently, and in a self pitying manner. Those are real parts of all of our struggles, Deanna. We just don't talk about everything like it's so impossible, and everyone should feel sorry for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
And your time line is a bit skewed - maybe because my bitching is so painful it seems like two years - but really I just started this journey recently...
Uh, no, you just started WW recently. This complaint goes way back. I remember a couple threads you started that were titled something like "okay, seriously" and then inside you said "It's time, really. I've never felt so big. I used to be in great shape, but I haven't been exercising." etc. First it was because something something it was so cold in Rochester, blah blah. Trust me, I wouldn't remember it like this if you hadn't been talking about it before. Of course you didn't talk about it when you stopped posting because someone hurt your feelings about religion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
And I've never claimed that I am the only one with food issues...in fact I know there are many here who also struggle - and they've been right there with me discussing them. Your perception that I think I'm the only one with these problems and that I sit around feeling sorry for myself and sobbing is just wrong.
Um, okay, well you write about it like you are feeling sorry for yourself. Exercising is so hard, not eating crap is so hard, I feel so bad because I'm not losing weight, on and on. I have "issues", I can't "help it" - tell me that isn't language that sounds like feeling sorry for yourself, and I'll tell you you don't understand language very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD
get that what you're saying is your perception - and I hear what you're saying, but because the things I talk about are very real parts of my everyday life I will most likely keep talking about some of them.

For me it IS a victory when I pass up a donut - hopefully that **** won't mean as much in the future when I get better at eating well and exercising.
Yeah, it's part of all our lives, Deanna. It's hard for all of us not to eat the donut. IN fact, I pass two donut shops, a McDonald's, and a Jack in the Box on my way to and from work. And I don't even have to get out of my car to get those things, I just have to put the kickstand down on my bike. Do we start threads about it? Do we ask for praise because we passed a donut? Do we talk about passing a donut like it's the second coming? You do, and that is a bad attitude to have about food, for yourself. It's also irritating to those of us who do way, way, more difficult things all the time, and who gain weight at least as easily, if not more easily than you. At least it is to me.
And yeah, I'm willing to bet you talk about it every day, either in the weight loss thread, or in the "what am I eating" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUZE
Personally I think this thread is for support and if you can't be supportive then use the golden rule.
Actually, Suze, this thread was started as a weight loss contest thread. And you can be as supportive as you want, but I'm all "Golden Ruled" out with this poster on this subject. It's nice if you are a bottomless pit of support, and if you don't mind that someone repeatedly doesn't take the advice for the very thing that they continue to complain about, and ask for support about. Bless your heart and all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
That is way different than people who have a serious emotional problem with food. For whatever reason, there are people who use food for comfort. Who use it as a means to treat their own depression, anger, sadness and doubts. It's something that is learned at a very early age.
Yeah, Sparky - I assumed that was all of us. Carrie said it was her, that's why I use food as well, probably Suze does, too, maybe Jaz, and I don't know about Paula. That's my whole point. I have food issues, we all do, but we aren't complaining about it the same way, or not changing our habits, or talking about how hard everything is all the time. I've had to watch my weight since 8th grade, despite playing 3-4 sports per year, and into adulthood I had to work out 1-2 hours 5-6 days a week to keep my bod where I wanted it. Not to mention riding bike and walking everywhere. And I, and people here heavier than me, can all exercise, and do so. I've smoked for 10 years, and smoked on top of that for 6, and my legs and knees have hurt almost every day for the past 2 years, but I still exercise, and for more than 15 minutes at a time. Plus I ride my bike or walk or roll everywhere. And it's been a huge struggle all this time to lose my damn pregnancy weight.
I have to sacrifice, I have to do things I don't feel like doing. And the same with everyone here. But we don't talk about how hard everything is, or make excuses.
It's galling to me that everyone works very hard at the same thing, and does much more than Deanna is willing to do, yet she's the one with the complaints. Don't complain so much if you aren't willing to do the work. And don't complain so much about how hard the work is, because we all know, and are doing the work. Doing it with very little complaining, or talking about the massive difficulty of it.
And, instead of posting about it all the time, maybe you should spend that time doing butt squeezes in your chair, or looking up HELPFUL NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION online, like I do. That's the thing, there are answers out there - answers people have told you, answers that are also readily available to you - but you don't want to do the work. All this advice and support, and seemingly it does you no good. Your self pitying attitude about it (which you say you don't have, but your words say otherwise) is most detrimiental to you, regardless of how much it irritates me.

When I am having trouble, I go online to find solutions, I don't think about how hard everything is.
When I wanted to be healthier and go vegan, do you think that was easy? NO! But if you want something, you have to do something for it. I used to take my coffee with cream and sugar - but when I found out refined sugar is like poison to the body, and milk/cheese is like pouring cement into your intestines...I started having my coffee plain. Did I die? no. Did I feel deprived? For one second. Did I realize that to be healthier I had to make a small sacrifice? yes! Did I for one second think in my mind that just because I had done a certain thing before, that I could not do something different now? Did I put that constraint on myself? NO. Did I say to myself "oh, I can't possibly continue to exist without milk, sugar, hamburgers, and cheese!" No, because that is ridiculous, and you don't get results if you don't work, and aren't willing to change your mind.
I mean, Strand lost 5000 pounds or something, but he wasn't on here all the time trying to get support, or saying how hard everything was, or how he couldn't possibly stop eating this or that. Same with Carrie.

The way you talk about your struggle, to me, is akin to someone visiting a starving african village and complaining that they don't have butter sauce for their lobster, and being really sad about it, and saying that their life is hard because they don't have butter for their lobster, and expecting the Africans to be supportive about the fact that you don't have butter.

I know this sounds mean. Maybe I should start a thread about how I have to speak my mind, how I can't help it, how I was hardwired to do so and how I can't change. Maybe if I have a time where I don't speak my mind, I should start a thread "I Passed Up Speaking My Mind Today". Then maybe it could be called an "issue" I have, and I could get some sympathetic "support" for it, thus absolving me of some of the responsibility, while gaining the energy and sympathy of others. Then when I did it again, I could say "oh, I know I did it again, but it's so hard! It's so hard!"

Obviously, I'm being facetious, I would never start that thread. Nor would I disclaim responsibility for what I say.

Good Luck, Deanna

Oh, and 142.6

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jesus, I leave for one F*CKING day and all hell breaks loose.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
Jesus, I leave for one F*CKING day and all hell breaks loose.
I know

Amber appears to have bee in her bonnet - WE LOVE YOU AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Lord Child - you do like a Tequila

Also, you have "important" hair
That's me, Patron and important hair.

All animals are equal. But some animals are more equal than others.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That's me, Patron and important hair.

I have simply GOT to get to LA - - drinks at the Bel Air?

Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have simply GOT to get to LA - - drinks at the Bel Air?

Chateau Marmont. And then Camp Sparky.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I lost 3 pounds this week. I have been working out like crazy, and I was hoping I would actually gain some weight, but alas...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chateau Marmont. And then Camp Sparky.
I have never been there --- but am willing to try anything once.

After, we can swim, roast mashmellows, foil perm our hair, sing happy songs, etc.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I typed out a long response but have deleted it. I will not sink to a level that is below me.

I am not going to defend myself against someone else's totally off-base perceptions of what I post and my tone and intent in doing so.

If said poster has further personal issues about me to air, please do so in a private forum - as your accusations and perceptions and psychoanalysis of me is not appropriate in this public forum. And before the "crying about it" accusations start, save your typing fingers, I am not "crying" about anything.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me very kind messages of support I know my place here and I as tempting as it was - I'm not going to defend myself against all the ridiculousness...it will fall upon blind eyes anyway.

Last edited by DrummerDeanna; 10-19-2006 at 08:14 PM..
Old 10-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have never been there --- but am willing to try anything once.

After, we can swim, roast mashmellows, foil perm our hair, sing happy songs, etc.
Oh, my friend, the foil years are long past, but plenty of roasting and happy songs. I picture the two of us singing "Love Shack" in front of my massive Bradyesque flagstone fireplace. Or perhaps a rousing version of "Enchanted."

Old 10-20-2006, 04:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, my friend, the foil years are long past, but plenty of roasting and happy songs. I picture the two of us singing "Love Shack" in front of my massive Bradyesque flagstone fireplace. Or perhaps a rousing version of "Enchanted."
Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.delta.com here I come