The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: Do You Want To See The Eagles Tour With Fleetwood Mac?
Yes 41 28.47%
No 103 71.53%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandbackStevie View Post
Tell us more about the interview with Joe Walsh on Howard Stern what did he say? I dont have Sirius Radio and didnt hear this interview. was it really nasty.?
This was actually back from Howard's "terrestrial radio" days. When questioned about Stevie, I think Joe basically called her a "road f**k." Pretty harsh!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Joe was a real jerk to Stevie back in the day, true. However, that Howard Stern radio bit and Joe's open mockery of Stevie during his live shows were almost 20 years ago. Joe is now sober and much more mature, so I think we should give him a break. She certainly doesn't seem to hold a grudge, since she gushes over their "Great Love" every chance she gets!

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-06-2010 at 12:49 AM.. Reason: better sentence structure
Old 01-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Joe was a real jerk to Stevie back in the day, true. However, that Howard Stern radio bit and Joe's open mockery of Stevie during his live shows were almost 20 years ago. Joe is now sober and much more mature, so I think we should give him a break. She certainly doesn't seem to hold a grudge, since she gushes over their "Great Love" every chance she gets!
I still think there is something that doesn't ring true about all that stuff she says about him. I mean, I'm sure she cared for him and felt that way about him at a certain time in her life, but I don't think she really looks back and thinks he was the great love of her life. There are plenty of quotes that I've read where she goes on and on about him, but it just seems like she's a little too insistent about it...like that's what she wants people to believe so that they don't know the truth.

I'm very interested in these rumors that its Stevie who doesn't want to do this. When it was first mentioned I just knew she would be all for it and Lindsey would be against it. I'd love to have more concrete information about it

Last edited by GypsyBlueEyes; 01-06-2010 at 01:28 AM..
Old 01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, information is the big thing missing with this whole deal.. Anyone get any, for the love of FM, post!

- Spike
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Noo, this would be a bad idea imo.

Throughout summer 2009, Blondie toured with Pat Benatar and it resulted in harsh comparisons between the talent and looks of Pat and Debbie Harry. Both sets got cut short (Blondie only having 45 mins to 1 hour at some venues) and bland sets.

I'm yet to see FM in concert and if my only option was to see the with the Eagles, I'd be hard pushed to buy a ticket. I'd rather wait and spend that moey and time with other fans of just FM rather than a mixed audience who may not like both acts.

Oh Yeah Christine McVie | Tumblr
Old 01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah ButterCookie is right, I'm also a Blondie/Pat B fan and it was quite annoying hearing them being compared talent wise etc. in concert reviews!
Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hi ButterCookie! Great user name! You too, DefDumbandBlond! Love that Deborah Harry album! Def, do you plan to buy the new Debbie Harry Barbie?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks holidayroad! It's one of my favorite solo albums by her, very cool to meet a DH fan on here! I thought about getting the barbie but I'm not sure yet, you?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey holidayroad Thankyou. I thought about getting the Debbie barbie too, but I don't think it bears enough resemblance to her for the price :/

Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterCookie View Post
Hey holidayroad Thankyou. I thought about getting the Debbie barbie too, but I don't think it bears enough resemblance to her for the price :/
I can't make up my mind either. Too bad there's not a Stevie or Christine doll.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Crikey! I'd likely sell my soul for a Stevie Doll!

Old 01-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

yes I'd love a Stevie doll......one that looked like her!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyBlueEyes View Post
I still think there is something that doesn't ring true about all that stuff she says about him. I mean, I'm sure she cared for him and felt that way about him at a certain time in her life, but I don't think she really looks back and thinks he was the great love of her life. There are plenty of quotes that I've read where she goes on and on about him, but it just seems like she's a little too insistent about it...like that's what she wants people to believe so that they don't know the truth.
Stevie does seem to change stories regarding her "great love" but maybe it's not so much hiding the truth as her changing mood. I seem to recall one interview where, after listening to Stevie rhapsodize about Joe as the love of her life, the interviewer responded with something like "But you've said in the past Lindsey Buckingham is the love of your life" and Stevie had to do some fast dancing. lol

I don't for a moment believe she would have "given up her career" for Joe Walsh as she has claimed in the past. She is too used to being THE Stevie Nicks to happily discard fame for a life as Mrs. Joe Walsh. Plus, Joe's pre-Eagles reunion income, unsupported by her touring revenues and album sales, would not have been enough to maintain the lifestyle to which she had become accustomed.

Last edited by sodascouts; 01-06-2010 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: perfectionists always find something to edit.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Junior Ledgie

First of all, hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

With regard who goes first if this tour happens, I'm thinking that it would probably be FM. When the talk first started, I thought maybe that the two bands could alternate. However, I don't know if that is practicle or not. Not sure about FM, but the Eagles are VERY structured with their shows, and I'm not sure that they would want to do the switching back and forth thing. But, even if FM does go first, the tour would be marketed as a double bill - not an opening act.

Now, I want to comment on some earlier remarks in the thread regarding the dynamics between Glenn and Don. Sorry for the delayed response, but I was on a holiday break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
But I DO think that partially what ended the Eagles after The Long Run, was that Glenn felt like he'd lost control of the band....at least in the sense of being the "star". I think Don(not intentionally) usurped the spotlight, and I think that rubbed Glenn, deeply, the wrong way. I think that's a big part of why he wanted to close shop.
Homer, I partially agree with you here. But I also believe at that time that Glenn felt like he was continuously subordinating himself in order to appease everyone else in the band, but to no avail. The problems between Don and Glenn really surfaced after the success of Hotel California largely because, by Don’s own admission, his ego became out of control. In fairness though, by that time, pretty much everyone in the band was out of control. It’s just that the band ultimately could not withstand the strained relationship between Don and Glenn.

Quote:
I DO think Glenn's praise is heartfelt. I think he realizes that they would be Air Supply, without Don! And it probably took years for him to come to that conclusion.
Okay – now I’m about to have one of my mini-rants. I have to totally disagree with this statement, and was very upset at the time Glenn said this. To me, he really devalued himself and his other band mates with this remark. Not to take a thing away from Don, but let’s just say that any band where Joe Walsh has to take a back seat is pretty loaded with talent. Timothy B. Schmit isn’t exactly minced meat either. There is no question about it, Don is an incredible talent and, to his credit, established himself as a superstar. But, I think it upsets a lot of Eagles fans the way some people cultivate the myth that the Eagles are Don Henley and some back up guys. Glenn’s comments just added fuel to this mindset, IMO. He could have paid a compliment to one band mate without undermining or insulting the others. The Eagles are what they are because of the combined talents, contributions, and chemistry of all four members. If that were not the case, Henley would be just as successful as a solo artist, and wouldn’t need the others.

Quote:
On the same note, look at their singles. Artistically, and lyrically, can anyone say that The Heat is On, is even CLOSE, to The Heart of the Matter. HOTM is ART, and HIO is just air, IMO.
I really don’t agree with this statement either. The Heat Is On may not be a lyrical masterpiece, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a great song. It is one of the most recognizable songs from the ‘80’s and has become an anthem for weather stations and sporting events everywhere. Again, I’m not taking anything away from Don’s solo work here, and I know it’s inevitable for people to compare Don and Glenn’s solo careers. But the comparison should be fair and not based on public misconceptions. While I agree Don was overall more successful because of a few masterful songs, Glenn actually had a very respectful solo career that stands up very favorably with Don’s as Nancy cited earlier in this thread. Songs like You Belong To the City, Smuggler’s Blues, and Part of Me, Part of You are also great songs to name a few.

P.S. Glenn’s last and best studio album, Strange Weather, released in 1992, didn’t meet with much commercial success, which was unfortunate because it really is a great album.

Quote:
And I think once Glenn saw how Don really emerged as a serious(not air) solo artist, that he finally came to the conclusion, regarding Don's legacy to the Eagles.
Also, in terms of the setlist, I've read on Eagles boards, that the audiences take their pee breaks, during Glenn's solo songs.
I would agree with your first statement to the extent that Glenn slowly came to realize Don’s contribution and significance to the band, but I think that was true for everyone, including Don. However, I’ve been to quite a few Eagles’ concerts and I personally never saw anyone take a pee break during Glenn’s songs. As a matter of fact YBTTC used to receive a huge audience reception – it was one of the highlights of the shows that I attended where it was played.

Now, I know some people here may think Eagles shows are boring and I agree that there is definitely not a lot of showmanship. However, for those of us who love their music, these shows are hardly boring. Even though they primarily perform song after song without a lot of antics, I think they are masterfully well-paced and performed with a lot of heart, soul, and energy.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyfanatic View Post
I really don’t agree with this statement either. The Heat Is On may not be a lyrical masterpiece, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a great song. It is one of the most recognizable songs from the ‘80’s and has become an anthem for weather stations and sporting events everywhere. Again, I’m not taking anything away from Don’s solo work here, and I know it’s inevitable for people to compare Don and Glenn’s solo careers. But the comparison should be fair and not based on public misconceptions. While I agree Don was overall more successful because of a few masterful songs, Glenn actually had a very respectful solo career that stands up very favorably with Don’s as Nancy cited earlier in this thread. Songs like You Belong To the City, Smuggler’s Blues, and Part of Me, Part of You are also great songs to name a few.

P.S. Glenn’s last and best studio album, Strange Weather, released in 1992, didn’t meet with much commercial success, which was unfortunate because it really is a great album.
I think for me, at least, the difference is longevity in their solo careers. Glenn had some big hits in the eighties, no doubt, but I don't think they've aged as well as Don's solo work. The Heart of the Matter still greatly resonates with me along with the End of the Innocence and Boys of Summer. The Heat is On and You belong to the City just scream 80's production. Sax solos will do that. Plus whenever I hear The Heat is On I think of this SNL skit:

However, I will say in Frey's defense that my two favorite Eagle songs are Take it Easy and Heartache Tonight.