The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never signed up to facebook. I really really dislike the name of it, for a start. Phone and e-mail are fine. There is only one friend of mine that is still trying to get me to join and can not believe I'm so resistant. All my other friends don't seem mind that I'm not on facebook, I'm not sure if they all have facebook accounts.

Free yourself from facebook! (if you feel to)

Last edited by MoonSister75; 01-02-2014 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-02-2014, 06:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
I've never signed up to facebook. I really really dislike the name of it, for a start. Phone and e-mail are fine. There is only one friend of mine that is still trying to get me to join and can not believe I'm so resistant. All my other friends don't seem mind that I'm not on facebook, I'm not sure if they all have facebook accounts.

Free yourself from facebook! (if you feel to)

+1!

I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-03-2014, 11:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
But see, if you have to hide them from your feed - what's the point in having that connection at all? I'm only asking rhetorically, but it's a practive I lived by. Hiding someone just says you're ashamed or embarrased of them, for whatever reason. I unfriended my own grandmother over a political argument. I certainly wasn't just going to hide her posts. It seems...well, terribly fake.
I'm not entirely sure how you figure that. I am still afforded the ability to see what I want to from them on Facebook, and easily contact them when I have the inclination, which I sometimes do. It just limits involuntary overexposure to certain people. Facebook offers me that level of control, so why not use it?

The rest of your post makes perfect sense, and it sounds like you are probably making a wise choice. Honestly, I do not share you experiences. I'm 26, almost all of my friends have been on Facebook since I met them, and we see each other and go out for drinks and meals often. It seems to work for us, but you're right that it doesn't work for everyone. Don't let people bully you into going back to something that you really feel isn't working in your life. I find it troubling that people here are having to deal with being "pushed into" signing up to Facebook. That seems insanely stupid and annoying. On behalf of Facebook users, I apologise.

Last edited by Dex; 01-03-2014 at 11:28 AM..
Old 01-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
+1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post

The rest of your post makes perfect sense, and it sounds like you are probably making a wise choice. Honestly, I do not share you experiences. I'm 26, almost all of my friends have been on Facebook since I met them, and we see each other and go out for drinks and meals often. It seems to work for us, but you're right that it doesn't work for everyone. Don't let people bully you into going back to something that you really feel isn't working in your life. I find it troubling that people here are having to deal with being "pushed into" signing up to Facebook. That seems insanely stupid and annoying. On behalf of Facebook users, I apologise.
I don't want to come across too negatively about facebook. I'm sure it really works for some people. I just decided it wasn't for me. I have seen some great facebook pages. The Lindsey Buckingham fansite is fantastic for up to the minute info on Fleetwood Mac concerts as they happen, as well as lots of lovely Lindsey pics
Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remove the overposters. If you post more than 5 times a day, that's too much, IMO.

The people who post 10 times an HOUR!? I want to kill them, and take them out of my feed, regardless of how good a friend they are.

So keeping them on my friends list(without me viewing their crap ), doesn't hurt their feelings(me defriending them), and still allows me to invited them to parties, etc...
Old 01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure how you figure that. I am still afforded the ability to see what I want to from them on Facebook, and easily contact them when I have the inclination, which I sometimes do. It just limits involuntary overexposure to certain people. Facebook offers me that level of control, so why not use it?

I guess it's perhaps an age thing, but I find hiding someone from your feed to be incredibly rude. It's like taping the mouth shut of someone you've invited to a party. If you don't want to hear them talk...don't invite them.

I'm definitely having some remorse about Facebook already. I don't miss it, maybe (?), but I'm wondering if perhaps *I* need to change the way *I* use it, rather than carrying disappointment for what I perceive to be the poor manners of others. Self-imposed boundaries are the hardest to abide.

I'm sure I'll waffle on this a few times.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I remove the overposters. If you post more than 5 times a day, that's too much, IMO.
That's me. Today alone, I've seen and heard about 10 things I'd like to share with everyone else. Did you know Cheerios are going GMO-free?

Will I become obsolete if I'm not on Facebook?

Hmm.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I guess it's perhaps an age thing, but I find hiding someone from your feed to be incredibly rude. It's like taping the mouth shut of someone you've invited to a party. If you don't want to hear them talk...don't invite the,
It really isn't like that, though. Taping someone's mouth shut actually affects them. This just affects my personal experience. I'd consider a more accurate analogy to be receiving an email from a friend, noting its presence, and then not opening it until I feel like reading it. Just because I want to choose when I hear from people rather than having to manually skim trough all of the indirect chatter they post, doesn't mean I necessarily want to close that line of communication altogether.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It really isn't like that, though. Taping someone's mouth shut actually affects them. This just affects my personal experience. I'd consider a more accurate analogy to be receiving an email from a friend, noting its presence, and then not opening it until I feel like reading it. Just because I want to choose when I hear from people rather than having to manually skim trough all of the indirect chatter they post, doesn't mean I necessarily want to close that line of communication altogether.
Like I said...I think it's just generational differences in perception. To me, Facebook is a big room with all my friends in it. You're in or out, there's no in between.

I also wanted to mention, because I feel really old right now, that you're 26. I was 26 when I got my first computer with internet. Let that sink in.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
No. Facebook is one communication medium in a world of many. There is much to take its place, functionally, in your life. I think you just need a few days to adjust.

Quote:
Like I said...I think it's just generational differences in perception. To me, Facebook is a big room with all my friends in it. You're in or out, there's no in between.
Haha, yes. It may be an age thing after all. I don't really understand that perspective, but I can't ask you to explain it because there really isn't going to be any kind of explanation. It's just how we see it.

Quote:
I also wanted to mention, because I feel really old right now, that you're 26. I was 26 when I got my first computer with internet. Let that sink in.
If it helps, I'm married, have lost a lot of hair off my head, and have a smartphone that hasn't been able to connect to the internet for two years, and I don't go to the store to get it fixed because I really don't care that much. And I'm spending my Friday night watching Frasier alone (on DVD, no less!). I'm a pretty "old" 26.

I think 26 would probably be a great age to just get started discovering the internet. 14 was ok, but it did get a little hairy at times as teenagers really lack perspective. My younger siblings who grew up with it in the house all their lives... I'm not sure, to be honest. There's definitely a difference there.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think 26 would probably be a great age to just get started discovering the internet. 14 was ok, but it did get a little hairy at times as teenagers really lack perspective. My younger siblings who grew up with it in the house all their lives... I'm not sure, to be honest. There's definitely a difference there.
OK, that helps.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Uh-oh. OK, so I'm finding myself lamenting the fact that there's no "like" function on this forum. Whenever there's a post that I think is brilliant but I don't have a worthy response, I almost catch myself seeking out the non-existent "like" button. Definitely a sign that I'm spending too much time on Facebook. Jeesh!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Hmm.
Interestingly enough, almost everyone I know in their teens & 20s has eschewed facebook. If you look at statistics, the average age of facebook users is now something like 45. So you might actually be more relevant by bowing out of facebook.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can you believe it is -14° outside? This is the coldest temp. I've ever experienced in my entire life. I am however, toasty warm inside my comfortable home.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Can you believe it is -14° outside? This is the coldest temp. I've ever experienced in my entire life.
You are just too cute,

Seriously, though. That is "real cold", by any standard. Yikes! Glad you have working heating!

If you convert it to Celsius that's -25.5 degrees. Just in case you ever make it want to sound extra hardcore.