User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerlongBoots View Post
I would like to go on record as agreeing with you both 100%.
Thank you.Stevie now must of fling out three TV's out the window last night.One for each appearance of bozo and her friends.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I never really cared for The Smashing Pumpkins version of Landslide. Whenever it comes on the radio, like it just did, I still will listen to it because, well you know why...
Old 11-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I never really cared for The Smashing Pumpkins version of Landslide. Whenever it comes on the radio, like it just did, I still will listen to it because, well you know why...
To come think about it .I do like some of Smashing Pumpkins music.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now we know that Hostess will be closing up shop with 18,000 employees out of a job which was their choice before the holiday season ,Now the employees at Walmart will be on strike or walkout on Black Friday.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My grandmother is in very poor health and most likely will pass before Christmas. She gotten worse of the past six months, being transferred to hospice care at the nursing home.

Her Power of Attorney woman (can't stand her but anyway) told me and my mom last night that there is only $2500 of life insurance money available! She has basically said it's up to us.

I don't know what to do about all this. We have a very small family just me, my mom, her brother/wife and their son/daughter, none of us have the money to cover the rest needed. Funerals are around $5000 - cheaper if you cremate, which my mom has said no chance in hell that will happen.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
My grandmother is in very poor health and most likely will pass before Christmas. She gotten worse of the past six months, being transferred to hospice care at the nursing home.

Her Power of Attorney woman (can't stand her but anyway) told me and my mom last night that there is only $2500 of life insurance money available! She has basically said it's up to us.

I don't know what to do about all this. We have a very small family just me, my mom, her brother/wife and their son/daughter, none of us have the money to cover the rest needed. Funerals are around $5000 - cheaper if you cremate, which my mom has said no chance in hell that will happen.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I think you're underestimating the cost of funerals. In January, it will be 10 years since my Mom passed. We didn't "overdo" anything, and I think it was $6800. I remember the $6800 figure, because Mom only had 5K in insurance, and I remember paying the balance. Again, that's 10 years ago. I do know that cremation is cheaper, but I'm not sure by how much. I know that they have "rental caskets", if one is desired for a service, pre cremation.

Sorry you're going through this, and hopefully she won't suffer.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm sorry to hear this.

I think you're underestimating the cost of funerals. In January, it will be 10 years since my Mom passed. We didn't "overdo" anything, and I think it was $6800. I remember the $6800 figure, because Mom only had 5K in insurance, and I remember paying the balance. Again, that's 10 years ago. I do know that cremation is cheaper, but I'm not sure by how much. I know that they have "rental caskets", if one is desired for a service, pre cremation.

Sorry you're going through this, and hopefully she won't suffer.

Thanks HomerMcvie,

She passed away yesterday around 12:30 pm. The funeral home seems willing to work with the $2500, but they need an additional $1,000 upfront for the opening and closing of the grave. We aren't doing cremation - that has been decided. No visitation or funeral just a small graveside service. My mom and I, along with my pastor, her brother/wife and the POA are going in tomorrow at the funeral home to discuss the arrangements/finances.

I'm considering taking a loan from my 401K to cover the $1,000. No penalities, 4.25% interest, as long as I pay it back by the end of 2013. Seems better than depleting my modest savings or using my 17% credit card!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She passed away yesterday around 12:30 pm.
Condolences to you my friend. I hope everything works out for you in your time of sorrow. May your spirit guide follow and assist you.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks HomerMcvie,

She passed away yesterday around 12:30 pm. The funeral home seems willing to work with the $2500, but they need an additional $1,000 upfront for the opening and closing of the grave. We aren't doing cremation - that has been decided. No visitation or funeral just a small graveside service. My mom and I, along with my pastor, her brother/wife and the POA are going in tomorrow at the funeral home to discuss the arrangements/finances.

I'm considering taking a loan from my 401K to cover the $1,000. No penalities, 4.25% interest, as long as I pay it back by the end of 2013. Seems better than depleting my modest savings or using my 17% credit card!
I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully she went peacefully, and painlessly.

I'm surprised that you can get it taken care of for $3500. I often wonder if funerals "cost as much as the client can afford"?

Yeah, the loan from the 401K sounds like a much better option than the credit card.

Take care. Keeping you in my thoughts.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks HomerMcvie,

I'm sorry to hear these sad news.Condolences to you .I know how you feel.I lost my dad last Feb.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks viv, Homer, and macfanforever...

Just got back from the funeral arrangements and other related mess with my family and others...

The first thing they wanted was the $1,000 for the opening/closing of the grave. Took us a few hours to haggle out that money. My church gave $200, my mom and I $300, and my uncle/aunt wrote a check for the other $500 claiming that was there rent money and they might be evicted. The POA just sat there smiling like this ain't any of her concern. My pastor helped alot with the negotiating and keeping everything somewhat calm.

My aunt and the POA did my grandmother's hair. Strange to say, but she looks so much better now than the day she died!

Small graveside tomorrow at 11am. That's all she'll have, which we are all fine with. She's not cremated, which was the most important thing.

A simple funeral for a simple woman.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks viv, Homer, and macfanforever...

Just got back from the funeral arrangements and other related mess with my family and others...

The first thing they wanted was the $1,000 for the opening/closing of the grave. Took us a few hours to haggle out that money. My church gave $200, my mom and I $300, and my uncle/aunt wrote a check for the other $500 claiming that was there rent money and they might be evicted. The POA just sat there smiling like this ain't any of her concern. My pastor helped alot with the negotiating and keeping everything somewhat calm.

My aunt and the POA did my grandmother's hair. Strange to say, but she looks so much better now than the day she died!

Small graveside tomorrow at 11am. That's all she'll have, which we are all fine with. She's not cremated, which was the most important thing.

A simple funeral for a simple woman.
I have one branch of my family, who are pretty much hilljacks. Know what they do? All the men gather at the cemetery, and they dig the grave by hand, taking turns in the hole. They're all poor, and it's how they help the family. (Sorry, just a strange side note. I've never seen anyone else ever do that.) Even stranger, if they're digging it for a man who drank, they all drink beer while they're digging, and throw their empty cans in the bottom of the grave, as some sort of "last drink with him".

I'm not surprised that they didn't want to budge on the money. I guess it's just like any other business. It's just strange that they're dealing with people during grievous times, who are possibly not making the wisest decisions.

Again, I'm sorry that you lost her. May she rest in peace.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I got back from my grandmother's funeral a few hours ago. It was a very nice funeral. My pastor gave a good message and we had some simple singing and scripture reading.

Then went to eat at a buffet and had a good time socializing and remembering my grandmother.

Today was a good day.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

May she rest in peace, and your family live with the fondest thoughts of her.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back adter disappearing from here...had a bit of a re-lapse with my depression. Doing much better now......missed this board and you guys.

Mick

-Tom Waits