Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=lovethemac1;1115689]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Yes, end of touring must be a thrilling prospect - it means he can go hide out in his studio, writing and demoing up songs about Stevie like Miss Fantasy and It Takes Time. How reassuring...

No kidding, I agree 100%...........
I remember him saying that he wrote it when he took leave of Fleetwood Mac at the start of the TITN tour. He said that in the Soundstage Sessions video, just before he sang it with Stevie. That was in 2005, and that was the first time I thought, "oh, wow, I don't think Kristen should see this."
He referred to the song during the tour as being from 10 years ago. I guess because it was on Say You Will. He was married 13 years ago, and had Will 15 years ago. So it was still an important song to him even after he was married.
Well I get the sense that being with Kristen, having Will, he grew up a little and saw that this was the path he should be on (with them) and I think that *that* finally allowed him to let go of Stevie and hopes they would ever get back together.. and letting go of that hope seemed to have let him let go of all the anger he still had about her leaving him, and once he let all that go he was able to look back on that whole relationship with a new objectivity and being a writer, you want to write about that stuff. A lot of his material to me seems to have been about recognizing his own behavior in that whole time period, warts and all, and acknowledging it.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Well I get the sense that being with Kristen, having Will, he grew up a little and saw that this was the path he should be on (with them) and I think that *that* finally allowed him to let go of Stevie and hopes they would ever get back together.. and letting go of that hope seemed to have let him let go of all the anger he still had about her leaving him, and once he let all that go he was able to look back on that whole relationship with a new objectivity and being a writer, you want to write about that stuff. A lot of his material to me seems to have been about recognizing his own behavior in that whole time period, warts and all, and acknowledging it.
this goes well with what Christine said about him as a person in that Jan 1st BBC interview. she said he used to be abrasive and it was hard to have a normal conversation with him, outside the musical synergy she had with him. but that once he had a family and settled down, he is now a totally changed and extremely lovely person.

i'm glad she said that, because it seems that most people either think that he was always nice (but nobody could see it ), or he was always a dick and is still the same. neither of those descriptions fit with all his angry and aggressive behavior in the past or with the very normal and warm man many fans had the opportunity to meet over the last two years. Christine's description of him fits perfectly with the change in his behavior and character.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i'm glad she said that, because it seems that most people either think that he was always nice (but nobody could see it ),
Oh, I don't think he was always nice. I think he was sometimes nice even in the early days, but mercurial. I think he's more even-keeled now, but still has his moments.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

I just don't think any of that negates the possibility of also loving someone in a completely non-romantic way on top of all the messy stuff. I've heard many a divorced couple express sentiments to the same effect.

I think it's highly, highly unlikely that his children don't know they used to be an item. I've never known any parents to hide the fact that they had other relationships before their marriage from their kids - it'd be pretty pointless and silly if they did. And it seems especially pointless and silly if those people are still a part of their life, and even more pointless and silly if those relationships are public knowledge and heavily discussed, which is the case with Stevie and Lindsey. They probably don't go around talking about it all the time, and Lindsey's children probably don't know a whole bunch of details, but I'd bet my left pinky toe that they're aware.
It's not that I think Lindsey was/or would hide his past romantic relationship with Stevie from his kids, but they are young and I can't imagine that talking with your kids about your past romance with a current band mate is very comfortable or something you really want to discuss with them when they are only (Stella 9, Lee Lee 13, Will 15). Do you really want to tell any of your kids that young that you lived with (considered yourself married to) a current band mate and then answer all the inevitable questions of what happened from your kids? My bet is the Lindsey would want to delay that discussion for as long as possible, because let's face it, his actions during the first 12 years he was in Fleetwood Mac were not great and I doubt he would really want to discuss all with his kids.

Lindsey also said that none of his kids were really Fleetwood Mac fan's and he wasn't' sure they had even heard a complete album.

I know they go to school and have friends, but I don't think Fleetwood Mac is really big in elementary schools or even junior high/middle school. Maybe they would be well known in high school (Will), but I'm not sure they would know or care enough to find out the history of the band so they could relay the information to Lindsey's kids.

I could see that maybe Lindsey's talked to Will, and Lee Lee about it NOW. Like I said Stevie had to pretty much force him to say the "you have to take my girlfriend too" line of the WY story back in July 2013. So if they didn't know, they do now.

Last edited by Deeshere; 01-03-2014 at 03:18 PM..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
I know they go to school and have friends, but I don't think Fleetwood Mac is really big in elementary schools or even junior high/middle school. Maybe they would be well known in high school (Will), but I'm not sure they would know or care enough to find out the history of the band so they could relay the information to Lindsey's kids.
Lindsey said in the past that his kids hear about FM through the parents of their friends and hearing about him from others has given them a sense of history or pride. He mentioned that even before Glee did a Rumours show and Stevie appeared on American Idol and I know that Glee is something LeeLee once liked.

Presumably, the parents wouldn't be telling the kids about the band's history of drug use and other tawdry tales, but they have access to that information if they care to do a search of the band's history at all.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not that I think Lindsey was/or would hide his past romantic relationship with Stevie from his kids, but they are young and I can't imagine that talking with your kids about your past romance with a current band mate is very comfortable or something you really want to discuss with them when they are only (Stella 9, Lee Lee 13, Will 15). Do you really want to tell any of your kids that young that you lived with (considered yourself married to) a current band mate and then answer all the inevitable questions of what happened from your kids? My bet is the Lindsey would want to delay that discussion for as long as possible, because let's face it, his actions during the first 12 years he was in Fleetwood Mac were not great and I doubt he would really want to discuss all with his kids.
Growing up I always heard stories about my mom's past boyfriends and stuff. There was Phillip the body builder that dated for a few years and lived with, creepy Steve from down the street that she went to homecoming with, an Iranian fellow (whose name now escapes me) she dated in college who kept calling her old work asking for like 10 years after they broke up... her bosses son Buzzy who was always in love with her and probably still is to this day.. the list goes on. I never thought any of that was strange because it was always mentioned casually and my mom never tried to hide it. If you don't treat something like a big deal, your kids aren't going to think it's a big deal, either, you know?

It probably WOULD be awkward if one day Lindsey/Kristen/whoever made some production about it and had them all sit down for "the talk" where they revealed he and Stevie used to be a couple - that would be uncomfortable, for sure, because it's making it into this serious ordeal, when I don't think it really is (in the scheme of his children's lives). So I don't imagine anything like that would happen - I think it's more likely that they just grew up knowing that they used to date, and therefore probably don't give a second thought to the matter at all.

Obviously, I don't know any of these people. I could be way off. But like Michele said, his children are pretty grown up now - 9, 13, and 15 aren't exactly little toddlers. 9 year olds have iPhones nowadays. So I just find it hard to imagine that they've been completely in the dark regarding Lindsey/Stevie their entire lives until now.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree. They probably speak of her quite regularly since he does tour with her every few years... Plus how could he explain the chemistry they have on stage because i'm sure they'e seen at least one concert, i can guarantee it! It's a good thing hey know otherwise if I were them i'd be concerned he's cheating. Anyway; without getting into Buckingham Nicks chemistry i'll leave it at that. I don't believe that they have a close relationship at all with her like it is written in fanfics. I mean think about it; you're father's ex girlfriend that is constantly compared to rich famous rockstar. I'd choose my mothers side no matter what. So the odds are maybe the children don't even like Stevie...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey said in the past that his kids hear about FM through the parents of their friends and hearing about him from others has given them a sense of history or pride. He mentioned that even before Glee did a Rumours show and Stevie appeared on American Idol and I know that Glee is something LeeLee once liked.

Presumably, the parents wouldn't be telling the kids about the band's history of drug use and other tawdry tales, but they have access to that information if they care to do a search of the band's history at all.

Michele
I'm not saying they don't know who Stevie is or that they don't know Dad's been a member of FM for the past 38 years. The obviously know all that. I was saying I don't think they knew that Dad and Stevie lived together (maybe they knew they dated, but that's different than living together and believing your married to someone) and as young as they are (except Will) I doubt Lindsey's told them much about his first 12 years with FM.

I don't think it would have to be a " talk" either where you sit your kids down and explain your whole past history, but depending on the kid when you mention something about your past there are questions (especially from girls. Guy's usually don't care or don't want to talk about it) so it would be reasonable to me that Lindsey would not have said much to his kids about his FM history with Stevie. However, I'm willing to admit that maybe I am completely off base on this one.

I just seemed strange to me that when Stevie did the first WY intro in front of Lindsey's kids she was VERY careful about what she said, she only called herself "the girl" rather than Lindsey's girlfriend and redacted or glossed over some S&L history. Then on the second go around for some reason she was not so careful about her story and Daddy had to do the "you gotta take my girlfriend too" line in front of his kids. The only reason I could see that Stevie would be careful of what she said the first time around, was because Lindsey's kids were there and did not know a lot of S&L history, so she was trying to not tell them any more than Lindsey wanted them to know. However why she was not so careful the second time around I don't know.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
Yes, end of touring must be a thrilling prospect - it means he can go hide out in his studio, writing and demoing up songs about Stevie like Miss Fantasy and It Takes Time. How reassuring...

Maybe I've just been holding out too long
And maybe I couldn't admit I was wrong
And maybe I've just been lying to myself
And no one else

Slow down, baby
Cross that line
If you want to save me
It takes time

Maybe I've wasted all this precious time
Trying to prove what is and isn't mine
Wondering to myself if you knew
It was all for you
Has she ever voiced her opinion on this? I haven't heard anything about her really except her career and she's married to Lindsey and they have children!

Megan
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewingdove View Post
I agree. They probably speak of her quite regularly since he does tour with her every few years... Plus how could he explain the chemistry they have on stage because i'm sure they'e seen at least one concert, i can guarantee it! It's a good thing hey know otherwise if I were them i'd be concerned he's cheating. Anyway; without getting into Buckingham Nicks chemistry i'll leave it at that. I don't believe that they have a close relationship at all with her like it is written in fanfics. I mean think about it; you're father's ex girlfriend that is constantly compared to rich famous rockstar. I'd choose my mothers side no matter what. So the odds are maybe the children don't even like Stevie...
I agree! I'd choose my mom's side too of course! I don't know if I'd approve, I wonder if when the kids got older and didn't like what happened on stage if Lindsey and Stevie would back off a bit? hmm

Megan
Old 01-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I just seemed strange to me that when Stevie did the first WY intro in front of Lindsey's kids she was VERY careful about what she said, she only called herself "the girl" rather than Lindsey's girlfriend and redacted or glossed over some S&L history.
Yes, I made fun of Stevie's choice of words at the Hollywood Bowl show I attended. It was a marked contrast from what she'd said before.

Regarding the kids, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't have a talk with them. I just think they probably know independently because the oldest two have been on the internet awhile. Of course, you might not google your own parents, because you might consider them boring. Hard to say.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Christine's description of him fits perfectly with the change in his behavior and character.
I would also say that I think another part of the problem in Lindsey's past wasn't negative per se. It was anti-social, like someone who might have Asperger's. His focus was so single-minded that you couldn't shoot the breeze with him about anything. You couldn't socialize, because he had no life.

There's a video of him strumming a guitar while Richard and others are having a conversation with him and his interests are very single-minded and isolated. I think he was like that a lot, based on Stevie's complaints about him when they lived together.

The whole band got tired of his intense concentration. I get the impression he was someone who might have been at last night's party with you, but if you thought you were going to talk to him about it the next day you were wrong. The next day he'd be giving you a treatise on making the guitar sound like a violin.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewingdove View Post
Most kids think their mother is wonderful and beautiful, even if she isn't. People tend to have a conceit about their parents, that's a little blind. I would think it would not even occur to them that their father would be attracted to Stevie over their mom today, no matter what they see on stage.

Michele
Old 01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I would also say that I think another part of the problem in Lindsey's past wasn't negative per se. It was anti-social, like someone who might have Asperger's. His focus was so single-minded that you couldn't shoot the breeze with him about anything. You couldn't socialize, because he had no life.
yeah i was thinking that exactly, after hearing Christine's description of him in the past - sounded as someone who was at least somewhere on the spectrum.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
No kidding, I agree 100%...........
I remember him saying that he wrote it when he took leave of Fleetwood Mac at the start of the TITN tour. He said that in the Soundstage Sessions video, just before he sang it with Stevie. That was in 2005, and that was the first time I thought, "oh, wow, I don't think Kristen should see this."
He referred to the song during the tour as being from 10 years ago. I guess because it was on Say You Will. He was married 13 years ago, and had Will 15 years ago. So it was still an important song to him even after he was married.
Say Goodbye? Yes. Lindsey's taken a page out of Stevie's handbook and is lying instead of just evading, bless. He was previously very clear on when it was written - after 'taking leave of the band' a long time ago. He's just retconned it, saying it was 'written' for SYW recently when that was merely when FM recorded it. I have my thoughts on why he's done this but *shrugs*. Either way, the changing meaning of the song (well, the changing explanation of the song) amuses me A LOT. I mean, closure isn't a new thing though back in 2003 it was the 'beginning' of closure they were getting, lol. From memory, so forgive error.

The very first show of the year Stevie told us she loves singing it with him and Lindsey started up with his talk about how it represents closure and so on, also informing us that it's funny because he and Stevie are probably closer than they've been since the early seventies. Nice to know...

So as the tour progressed we go from lots of CLOSURE CLOSURE CLOSURE to talk to Say Goodbye being about:
- needing illusions in order to dream
- needing to cast away illusions in order to grow
(Well, did she make you cry,
Make you break down,
Shatter your illusions of love?)
- acceptance
- faith
- resolve for the future

As he said in an interview "All those illusions have fallen away, but that doesn't mean that there isn't resolve and hope and belief in the future in a different context."

I do so love a good evolution in explanation... My favourite, however, was this fun one back when it was still about getting closure in Philly.

"This is a song I wrote about Stevie maybe 10 years ago and, uh, it's about closure. As much as the (?) dialogue between the two of us can be *laughs* (?) and I think we're still trying to find it, right? (?) Or maybe we're not. I don't know. Anyway, it's incredible after all this time that there (?) seem to be a few chapters here between these two people. I don't understand. *laughs*

Okay, first of all Lindsey, you write this in 1987 according to other tours... Also, you were writing about getting closure in your r'ship with Stevie back in 1987 but thought it's time was right in 2003 and yet you STILL think you guys are trying to find that closure in 2013. Except NOT. Because 'MAYBE WE'RE NOT. I DON'T KNOW'. UM, WTF? So, you don't think you ever found that closure and perhaps you're not even bothering to try and get that closure anymore? EMBRACE THAT LOVE, GUYS.

#lovefest2013

-

While I'm putting my few cents worth on this thread, have at this. Basically it started months and months ago when I noted some fun lyrical repetitions on Seeds We Sow. We know Lindsey likes to talk about he and Stevie dialoguing in song and he's said many of his songs are about her. So...

Had a dream that you reached for me in the night / Touched me soft and slow
Everything was wrong but everything was right / Oh, the seeds we sow

Fire still burning, in a while she’ll make it rain / These rooms are all falling down, they couldn’t stand the strain
And the same old dream, she was hiding outside my door / She used to come from time to time but not any more

I wake up in the middle of the night / With you in my heart / With you in my heart
I can’t touch you any more / It causes you harm

When you’re waiting for your ocean to rise / All alone at night long after I’ve gone
And your conversations all end in lies / And you wake up singing one of my songs

-

By theme/word. Basically, I've included stuff from Lindsey's last three albums (including covers), from Stevie's TISL and IYD and then FM's SYW and the EP.

HIDING/DOOR/ROOM
GREAT DAY (gift of screws)
The currents they caught her / Hiding in my room
IN OUR OWN TIME (seeds we sow)
And the same old dream, she was hiding outside my door / She used to come from time to time but not any more
THROWN DOWN (say you will)
You can sit outside his door and wait / Well, you can dedicate your pain to him

DREAMS
UNDERGROUND (gift of screws)
I go to my lover we lay on our bed / Did I sell my heart for the dreams in my head?
DID YOU MISS ME (gift of screws)
Did you miss me in the evening? / When everyone is bound to dream
SHUT US DOWN (under the skin)
Oh you and I we sure can dream / Of conversations that might have been
CAST AWAY DREAMS (under the skin)
Magic one / All our dreams are done / I have no faith today
Hearts will break / With choices we must make / So sleep and dream of me
UNDER THE SKIN (under the skin)
Lay your head down no one will see / Cry me a river of new dreams float yourself free
SHOW YOU HOW (under the skin)
You can float downstream let the past be the past / You can wake up from a dream and find your other half
MISS FANTASY (extended play)
I had another dream of you last night / sailing on a sea of blue
EVERYBODY LOVES YOU (in your dreams)
She was so unaffected / By his dream
For his dream of her / Was just not possible

OCEAN/SEA
Mirrors in her eyes / She was wet she was soaking
Ashes in the ocean / And her heart was broken
When you’re waiting for your ocean to rise / All alone at night long after I’ve gone
TREASON (gift of screws)
Deep down in the ocean deep down in the sea / Saw your face full of grace searching for me
I took a trip out of town / A hundred years underground
I had to swim across the sea / When you were my baby
You can float downstream let the past be the past / You can wake up from a dream and find your other half
I had another dream of you last night / sailing on a sea of blue
BOMBAY SAPPHIRES (trouble in shangri-la)
The sea never changes - not really / It is the constant in my life
I always return here / To the flash of those colors

PLANS
Holy light, visionary sight / There’s been a change in plans
Going away / No, I cannot stay / I hope you understand
EVERYBODY LOVES YOU (in your dreams)
She was so enchanted by his voice / She was so shaken by his words
His plan for her… / Was just not possible / She had no words…

GOOD/GREAT DAY
It was a great day, great day
ROCK AWAY BLIND (seeds we sow)
Cast your fate, we’ve all found a way / As they say, it’s another good day

RULES
The day was dark and burning / All the time we were learning
The rules concerning / Of the corner we were turning
DESTINY RULES (say we will)
It’s not being together, / It’s just following the rules
No one’s a fool…

CRIME
A wish that is walking / Is just a crime scene talking
If it’s a plea that you’re copping / It’s just a door that you’re locking
I keep walking on this heart of mine / I could go crazy without even trying / Fleeing the scene of the crime
Nothing here remains, just a vision of her face / The implications of a crime, it always takes the place

WHITE AND BLUE/CLUES
I see clues that you leave behind / White or blue, I know it can’t be mine / I want to look for what I might find
I can see past you - to the white sand… / It is blue / It is not about you
It is all true / You know—who I am
You’re the queen of the underground / Never leaving a clue
RED ROVER (say you will)
And the lips you were kissing night after night / All were bathed in blue, all bathed in white

LINE CROSSING/TIME
Wouldn’t make any difference / We crossed the line
IT TAKES TIME (extended play)
Slow down, baby / Cross that line

WRONG/RIGHT
Freedom is someone to know / There is no right or wrong anymore
SEEDS WE SOW (seeds we sow)
Touched me soft and slow / Everything was wrong but everything was right

UNDERGROUND
UNDERGROUND (gift of screws)
I think I might wander underground
I took a trip out of town / A hundred years underground
I had to swim across the sea / When you were my baby
LOVE RUNS DEEPER (gift of screws)
Black angel can’t be alone / Love runs deeper from the underground
You’re the queen of the underground / Never leaving a clue

NOT TOO LATE
THE RIGHT PLACE TO FADE (gift of screws)
Waiting for the light that might light our way / Waiting for the right place to fade / I swear I swear I swear it’s not too late
NOT TOO LATE (seeds we sow)
What am I doing anyway / Telling myself it’s not too late

PARALLEL
LOVE RUNS DEEPER (gift of screws)
How you mystified / Just a blinding flash / We were parallel lines
DESTINY RULES (say you will)
Maybe we were together in another life / Maybe we are together in a parallel universe

SHOW YOU HOW
Look at us now / The years fall down / Show me how
SHOW YOU HOW (seeds we sow)
Come ‘round and get me, I’ll show you, show you, show you how

DROWN
DOWN ON RODEO (under the skin)
Faces of glass all hung in the past / They only come here to drown
It would do no good / To drown in the sea
Where no one remembers their name / And nothing but nothing is free

LIES
SAY GOODBYE (say you will)
It’s so hard to find your way / When the lies come around
STEAL YOUR HEART AWAY (say you will)
And the lie was creeping / Down, down, down / While we were sleeping

DANCE/CHANCES/TIME/CHANGING MINDS
DOWN ON RODEO (under the skin)
We never took quite enough chances / We never had quite enough time
I did about a thousand dances / But nothing would change your mind
SAY YOU WILL (say you will)
Say you will, say you will give me one more chance / At least give me time to change your mind
That always seems to heal the wounds, if I can / Get you to dance
NOT TOO LATE (seeds we sow)
And there’s a need for songs that are sung / For chances not taken for deeds not yet done

FAITH
THROWN DOWN (say you will)
You’ve shaken your faith in me, no / You’ve shaken my faith in everything else
A decision no one makes, and now you’re going home / Faith is a hard thing to hold on to
Something inside you says I don’t have to

MAGIC
YOU MAY BE THE ONE (in your dreams)
You were an angel / And I was a starving child / And we were…magic…

PASSION
UNDER THE SKIN (under the skin)
I know it’s hard being so hard to find / Your passion swallows you whole deaf dumb and blind
CHEAPER THAN FREE (in your dreams)
Better than fashion? High passion.
It’s there every day / It’s passion never fades / You know what I mean

SLOW DOWN
She said slow down baby, slow down now
MOONLIGHT (A VAMPIRE’S DREAM) (in your dreams)
He slows down / He’s so desperate to stop her / Meet her in the middle
Slow down, baby / Cross that line

SAVE/SURVIVE
If you want to save me / It takes time
FALL FROM GRACE (trouble in shangri-la)
Maybe the reason I say these things / Is to bring you back alive
Maybe I fought this long and this hard / Just to make sure you survive

LINGER
And the shadow singer will stand and linger in places no one ever goes
Would you still love to linger up against the wall?

MEMORY
It may be you don’t remember me / but I remember you
Forget me not, he says / I’m so afraid

FEAR
THE RIGHT PLACE TO FADE (gift of screws)
Come along lay down and talk to me / Tell me all your fear will allow
It doesn’t matter who we thought we were / We ain’t got time for that now
LOVE CHANGES (trouble in shangri-la)
When he was loving I was in tears / He knows my fears
He says, there’s no fear in your eyes / Tell me another lie…

STRAIN
Fire still burning, in a while she’ll make it rain
These rooms are all falling down, they couldn’t stand the strain
EVERY DAY (trouble in shangri-la)
Don’t give me visions to explain / There are no doubts I feel the strain

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 01-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: so people don't forget it's a S&L thread...