User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool Today is bittersweet...

should be Debbie's 49th birthday...

But on the good side of things, I found 2 H.R. Giger books here at the library on Friday - had my friend the librarian not remembered my like of his art those books would have been targeted for destruction since the "contents may offend some".

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 07-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I do know what you mean about newer stars being more distant from fans but I was mainly saying that it's possible to like such older country music/performers as well liking what some of the new people do on record/live - not just how they are with fans. I love my old time, traditional country (Buck, Loretta etc) but some country pop/rock can be a lot of fun too, although I'll admit that less of the recent stuff appeals to me.

I really love some of Miranda's stuff though. A lot of her lyrics are very clever and the Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Revolution albums in particular are fantastic, as is the Pistol Annies record. I heard about the writing issue regarding her song Kersoene and Steve Earle's I Feel Alright when it happened. I really like both songs.
I like everything! Old country has a huge place in my heart(my favorite incarnation of MY band, is the old country version(even my drummer's favorite, who is a rocker - playing the old country is actually relaxing).

But come on, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan.....how could I not have a POP heart? I've always liked country ~harmony~ bands like Restless Heart, Diamond Rio, and Alabama. And my current favorite country artist is David Nail. I've done sound for him twice....and honestly, there's nothing country about him. It's pop music, although he really has this sadness in his voice, that just does it for me. Man, he's a crooner. He's really a soulful singer. My favorite artist of the past ten years.

And it's funny how I found out about the lawsuit....when I was doing sound for Miranda, they were playing that song at soundcheck, and I asked her soundguy, "Did Steve Earle write that song?" That's when he told me about the lawsuit, and Steve receiving 50% of the royalties!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I like everything! Old country has a huge place in my heart(my favorite incarnation of MY band, is the ol
d country version(even my drummer's favorite, who is a rocker - playing the old country is actually relaxing).

But come on, I'm a Fleetwood Mac fan.....how could I not have a POP heart? I've always liked country ~harmony~ bands like Restless Heart, Diamond Rio, and Alabama. And my current favorite country artist is David Nail. I've done sound for him twice....and honestly, there's nothing country about him. It's pop music, although he really has this sadness in his voice, that just does it for me. Man, he's a crooner. He's really a soulful singer. My favorite artist of the past ten years.

And it's funny how I found out about the lawsuit....when I was doing sound for Miranda, they were playing that song at soundcheck, and I asked her soundguy, "Did Steve Earle write that song?" That's when he told me about the lawsuit, and Steve receiving 50% of the royalties!
I like this whole comment! I do know of your love for David Nail and I need to thank you for turning me on to him actually. Your stories of doing sound for him are cool. I know his first album better than his second, since I've listened to it more. I'm especially fond of Strangers On A Train, not only for the Hitchcockian title. I liked it before I realised it was Miranda on backing vocals too, haha.

I've been listening to Emmylou Harris for most of today. She is one of my absolute favourite artists of any genre - all eras of her career too. What do you think of her? I have pretty much all of her stuff and have seen her live.

I'd love to see your band doing some of the old-country stuff! Do you do any contemporary-ish alt-country too? Ryan Adams etc?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I like this whole comment! I do know of your love for David Nail and I need to thank you for turning me on to him actually. Your stories of doing sound for him are cool. I know his first album better than his second, since I've listened to it more. I'm especially fond of Strangers On A Train, not only for the Hitchcockian title. I liked it before I realised it was Miranda on backing vocals too, haha.

I've been listening to Emmylou Harris for most of today. She is one of my absolute favourite artists of any genre - all eras of her career too. What do you think of her? I have pretty much all of her stuff and have seen her live.

I'd love to see your band doing some of the old-country stuff! Do you do any contemporary-ish alt-country too? Ryan Adams etc?
His first album is a more solid effort. A Rumours of sorts....poppy, with not a bad song on it. His second album is more of a Tusk...more down tempo, moody songs. I'm a freak, I've always preferred Rumours to Tusk. Haha, I didn't know it was Miranda on backing vocals!!! I'm not much of a "liner notes reader". Plus, I have the attention span of a gnat!
EDIT- Speaking of short attention span, I NOW remember what I forgot to post, oh Mr. Liner Notes. Did you read who his guitar player was, on the first album????

WADDY! I mean, what are the odds?

I don't have any Emmylou. Honestly, I've never been much on female singers. FM would really be just about the only exception to my preference. You know, Christine, Stevie, and that Lindsey chick!

Not really any alt-country, unless you count BR5-49. My favorite country band. They've been on hiatus for about 5 years, and are having a reunion this Saturday, opening for Old Crow Medicine Show(I think that's who it is...the point is moot, since my band is playing, so I can't go). I got to see their main front man, this past Wednesday, in Nashville.
BR5-49 were the ones who got me into older country. They showed me that it could be hip to like that stuff!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 07-23-2012 at 08:04 PM..
Old 07-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
His first album is a more solid effort. A Rumours of sorts....poppy, with not a bad song on it. His second album is more of a Tusk...more down tempo, moody songs. I'm a freak, I've always preferred Rumours to Tusk. Haha, I didn't know it was Miranda on backing vocals!!! I'm not much of a "liner notes reader". Plus, I have the attention span of a gnat!

I don't have any Emmylou. Honestly, I've never been much on female singers. FM would really be just about the only exception to my preference. You know, Christine, Stevie, and that Lindsey chick!

Not really any alt-country, unless you count BR5-49. My favorite country band. They've been on hiatus for about 5 years, and are having a reunion this Saturday, opening for Old Crow Medicine Show(I think that's who it is...the point is moot, since my band is playing, so I can't go). I got to see their main front man, this past Wednesday, in Nashville.
BR5-49 were the ones who got me into older country. They showed me that it could be hip to like that stuff!
This is maybe where we differ. I'm more for female singers a lot of the time. As for Old Crow Medicine Show... they are fantastic!! You should check out their version of Wagon Wheel.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is maybe where we differ. I'm more for female singers a lot of the time. As for Old Crow Medicine Show... they are fantastic!! You should check out their version of Wagon Wheel.
Maybe it is!

Every band in Nashville plays(or played) that song. I didn't hear anyone play it last week, though. I think it ran it's course!!! I personally was tired of hearing it!

They've played my club a couple of times....although I think they're too big, now...
Old 07-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post
should be Debbie's 49th birthday...

But on the good side of things, I found 2 H.R. Giger books here at the library on Friday - had my friend the librarian not remembered my like of his art those books would have been targeted for destruction since the "contents may offend some".
Sending you strength & healing vibes to get through the day. Stay strong, Brian.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, thanks for remembering! I bought that Gretsch last fall. I love it!!!! And it's now my main guitar, in the "old country" version of my band. Hollowbody is must, for old country. A completely different flavor, it adds!

Congrats on your NGD!!!! Recording King....I've not heard of that.
(off to search now). I hope you love it!
Homer,
Thanks bro. I'm liking the Recording King so far.
I always have a love hate relationship with my
guitars. I pick (pun) things apart too much. And
I've found there is no perfect guitar.

One day I'm going to add a Gretsch to my stable.

Estranged4life,
Hang in there brother.

To all Ledgies,
What do we say about the massacre in Colorado?
I've stopped myself from writing anything here on
The Ledge for a few days. There just weren't any
words to express the way I felt.

I heard on the news that Colorado has the death
penalty. Maybe it'll be used in this case.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If you don't have a cold, working airconditioner in your car, I'm not gonna ride in it with you.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As of last month I've been a Ledgie for 5 years!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
As of last month I've been a Ledgie for 5 years!
Wow Viv .congrats. My 10th will be next year.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-25-2012, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd just like to say that Michael Jackson's brothers and sisters are
CRAZY!!!

Hopefully someone other than family is looking out for his children.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe it is!

Every band in Nashville plays(or played) that song. I didn't hear anyone play it last week, though. I think it ran it's course!!! I personally was tired of hearing it!

They've played my club a couple of times....although I think they're too big, now...
Yeah I bet that song was really popular. They did the original though of course. Well, after hearing a half finished chorus that Bob Dylan had written and then they wrote the rest of the song around it!

Homer, out of interest... do you like Nickel Creek?
Old 07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah I bet that song was really popular. They did the original though of course. Well, after hearing a half finished chorus that Bob Dylan had written and then they wrote the rest of the song around it!

Homer, out of interest... do you like Nickel Creek?
It's so funny that we were talking about WW. A FB friend of mine was ranting about people requesting "that damned WW song", yesterday. He called it today's Freebird.

Yeah, I love Nickel Creek(not to be confused with NickelBACK).
I've done sound for them 2 or 3 times. They're very nice to boot!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's so funny that we were talking about WW. A FB friend of mine was ranting about people requesting "that damned WW song", yesterday. He called it today's Freebird.

Yeah, I love Nickel Creek(not to be confused with NickelBACK).
I've done sound for them 2 or 3 times. They're very nice to boot!
Yet again - awesome! I love Nickel Creek and both of Sara's solo albums. I don't have either of Chris's though. I do wish the band still played. Do you know the Dolly Parton album, Little Sparrow, the one she did with Nickel Creek as her backing band? I loved her bluegrass stuff from the early 20o0s. Check out her cover of Shone (Collective Soul). The guys from Nickel Creek are in the video. It;s brilliant.