User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenground View Post
This whole album blows IYD out of the water. I love IYD, but 24KG is just totally classic Stevie. I wish "Lady From The Mountains" aka "Moonlight" stayed more true to the demo like these have.
Agreed!!! This "quick recording process" and simple production (not very many overdubs, if any at all on some of these songs) lended itself very well to this project! And she did stay very true to the demos for the most part this time around. Let's hope that future solo records are recorded at this pace! Sometimes sitting in a recording studio for a year and half listening to the same songs over and over again, changing things and second guessing yourself can be detrimental. A good HALF of both TISL and IYD is a good example of this.

I still love the demo for "Lady From The Mountains" (it will ALWAYS be my favorite) but I simply ADORE "Moonlight" with its soft vocal and strange (no pun intended) chorus.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Are main record stores going to sell the vinyl edition or will it quickly go out of print?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Agreed!!! This "quick recording process" and simple production (not very many overdubs, if any at all on some of these songs) lended itself very well to this project! And she did stay very true to the demos for the most part this time around. Let's hope that future solo records are recorded at this pace! Sometimes sitting in a recording studio for a year and half listening to the same songs over and over again, changing things and second guessing yourself can be detrimental. A good HALF of both TISL and IYD is a good example of this.

I still love the demo for "Lady From The Mountains" (it will ALWAYS be my favorite) but I simply ADORE "Moonlight" with its soft vocal and strange (no pun intended) chorus.
Exactly my sentiments. This arrangement brings Stevie's vocals front and center and the simple arrangement will keep these songs sounding fresh. I appreciate IYD for what it is, but it does seem a little dated with all it's excess production. I also really love Moonlight, but I can only imagine how much more I'd love it had it been on this album.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I still like IYD a lot. And we have Dave Stewart and THAT ALBUM to thank for getting Stevie off her ass and doing more projects. Also, the IYD project and Dave's Blackbird project introduced her to the "Nashville" way of recording things ~ QUICK and SIMPLE!!!

Because of that, the songs on 24KG are organic, emotive and in your face! They are what they are because they're "in the moment" and not over-thought, ultra rehearsed or overdubbed to the Nth degree. I feel like I'm at a "live concert" when I listen to this record!

Just my opinion.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I still like IYD a lot. And we have Dave Stewart and THAT ALBUM to thank for getting Stevie off her ass and doing more projects. Also, the IYD project and Dave's Blackbird project introduced her to the "Nashville" way of recording things ~ QUICK and SIMPLE!!!

Because of that, the songs on 24KG are organic, emotive and in your face! They are what they are because they're "in the moment" and not over-thought, ultra rehearsed or overdubbed to the Nth degree.

Just my opinion.
I think some of these songs have some nice details added that are just unexpected that help keep them fresh.

I like IYD too. It is a good pop album. This feels like a classic rock album which suits her better.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:12 PM
goldenground
This message has been deleted by goldenground.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

I really like Blue Water but had Sharon and Lori sang backround harmonies instead of that guy, I think I would have loved it
Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post
HARD ADVICE

Sometimes late at night
I turn on the radio
Your music fills the room
I just can’t seem to get away from you

Saw a life size paper doll of you
In a record store
My friends as well as me
Can’t seem to let you go
It was finished long ago

Sometimes he’s my best friend
Even when he’s not around
But the sound of his voice
Well, it follows me down
And reminds me

Another famous friend told me
Love does end
Make a clean break
He didn’t talk about heartache
You have to let him go
Oh oh

Get over it
Remember how it was
Before our infamous pasts had begun
You have to let him go
He gives such hard advice, oh

He gives such hard advice
He says don’t think twice
Turn off the radio
It was finished long ago
Go write some real songs
This is all wrong

Well, it follows me down
And reminds me

Well, it follows me down
And reminds me

You have to get over this
The pain’s gone on too long
Go and write some real songs
Stay out of music stores
Don’t buy that doll

Sometimes, sometimes

Turn off that radio

Turn off that radio
Don’t buy that doll
Don’t buy that doll

Absolutely love the words to this song!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I must have missed that interview. Which one was it?
Go to the Rumours forum, look in the thread "CBS News-Christine and Stevie Q&A" and read the whole thing. The snippet about Mick is:

Blackstone: A lot has happened in that 40 years. And much of what's happened has ended up in your songs. On your new album comin' out, "24 Karat," a couple of those songs are about Mick.

Nicks: They are. Two of them are. "24 Karat Gold" and "Watch Chain." Thank you, Mick, for that. (laughs) You know, a girl has to have stuff to write about. And I have had a lot of really interesting men in my life who have inspired me to write, like, some pretty amazing poetry, I think. And I don't think you write amazing poetry unless you're inspired by somebody who is amazing-- and who really affects you.

My songs always start as formal poems. And then I go to the piano with my formal, finished poem. So those were just two songs that, well, they were all demos.So when I called up Dave Stewart and said, "How do I make an album in 2 1/2 months," he said, "We go to Nashville. 'Cause those guys will take your 17 really, really well-done demos, and they will copy them exactly, except they'll play them way better than you did. They'll play them like great musicians." And I'm like, "Seriously?" And he said, "Yeah." So that's what we did.

And we were able to record a record in exactly two months -- a month at my house here in L.A., and a month in Nashville -- and then under a month to put together all the art, which was old Polaroids that I had taken. This little record all came together very easily, because I had so much of it already done.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 09-29-2014 at 07:05 PM..
Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 PM
AugustEva

Is anyone else missing liner notes?
Old 09-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustEva View Post
Is anyone else missing liner notes?
I've got them, they were tucked in with the first disc, a glossy double sided 12in sheet with complete lyrics and tiny, tiny writing.

I tried to attach a photo but mine is way too large...
Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

I'm on my first listen right now, on Mabel Normand and loving it! Okay now onto Twisted, always loved this song although I'm so used to the Enchanted version, but her voice is amazing here. Whoa, see shouldn't try to post during my first listen, I keep going off to that place that really good music takes you...

I will say I hear the "Nashville sound" in a lot of the music and I'm not really sure how I feel about that. Grew up on country but its sort of weird to hear guitar riffs that sound like country songs on a Stevie album. Not saying I don't like it but just, its different. I DO love how much this album sounds like a matured version of Bella Donna- Street Angel era although I've always been a huge fan of TISL and IYD. I'm frankly convinced Stevie just can't go wrong in my book.

However, I'm a big vinyl dork, not quite one of those hardcore audiophile types by any means (nor is my equipment audiophile level) but I do appreciate vinyl and admit I've yet to hear new vinyl that sounds as good as albums produced 80s and earlier. I know there's endless discussions of the "loudness war" but I'm wondering right now, is it just me/ my equipment (I did just set up a new turntable last night in preparation lol but I listened to a bunch of FM albums last night so I know how they sounded) is this not a wildly LOUD album? Like hands down the loudest vinyl I own. I'll be curious to hear how my CD sounds when it gets here. And like I said, I've never been completely pleased with any new vinyl really and the vast, vast majority of vinyl I buy and listen to is used. But did anyone else feel this way?

Definitely don't mean to sound like I'm complaining because like I said in my first paragraph, this album is giving me that awesome thing great music does where you kind of escape from the world and get lost in the music. That's why I love Stevie and FM- never fails to take me there. And I've had a rough day, rough year really so Stevie, take me away!

Just flipped the first disc, the bassy beginning of 24 Karat Gold is amazing. Love how that sounds on my turntable, definitely, despite the loudness, one of the best new vinyl albums I've ever heard though I may be biased.

Also, I totally mislead by my shipping confirmation from Warner Brothers. I take it we will get our CDs, lithographs, and photo books next week? Still a bit annoyed they didn't do photo book and. Lithograph with the vinyl but I guess smart money move as I would guess a majority of vinyl fans are the sort who want all the bells and whistles. But I didnt see much need for a CD when you've got digital download (and I have a turntable that can connect to the computer and rip vinyl to mp3 so...). But I totally thought I was getting my whole order until I opened the box. Guess that just means two days of exciting deliveries versus just one.
Old 09-29-2014, 07:53 PM
AugustEva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
I've got them, they were tucked in with the first disc, a glossy double sided 12in sheet with complete lyrics and tiny, tiny writing.

I tried to attach a photo but mine is way too large...
I have nothing. What a bummer! Did you order from Warner or Amazon?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustEva View Post
I have nothing. What a bummer! Did you order from Warner or Amazon?
That's so weird, I wonder if you could contact whoever you ordered from and see about a replacement?

I ordered from Warner.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba109 View Post
Has there been an mp3 rip from the vinyl yet?

I could do this though not sure when exactly I'll get around to it. Actually got a USB turntable thingy to rip vinyl to mp3 for the holidays last year and have yet to actually use it so not sure how easy or hard it would be but I might look into it later this week... Though I assume someone else will get to it before me.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 PM
AugustEva

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeCastASpell View Post
That's so weird, I wonder if you could contact whoever you ordered from and see about a replacement?

I ordered from Warner.
I've sent Warner an email, hopeful they will send them to me. Thanks for your help!