The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The youtube clip of "Without You" that pans over to John McVie and lingers on him for a spell--I'm not ashamed to admit: tears welled up in my eyes.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch...but if you want a full boot of this show, I may have it. I recorded it but need to give the device to my friend who it belongs to, and she will arrange it and send it to me.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbiJoy78 View Post
I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch...but if you want a full boot of this show, I may have it. I recorded it but need to give the device to my friend who it belongs to, and she will arrange it and send it to me.
Awesome! Thanks in advance!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Any boot of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That would be incredible.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

IF all goes well, and I have enough battery power, I will record tonight at MSG in NY!
Old 04-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
IF all goes well, and I have enough battery power, I will record tonight at MSG in NY!
Have fun tonight!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Thanks for mentioning this in the other thread]

McCall.com Blog post by John J. Moser
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleym...reat-show.html

April 8, 2013
REVIEW: Fleetwood Mac in Philly: Good playing, songs and singing don't add up to great show

Fleetwood Mac’s show Saturday at Philadelphia’s Wells Fargo Center had many of the ingredients that made the band such a force of nature in the 1970s, with nine Top 20 songs and 28 million albums sold.

Lindsey Buckingham still plays head-shakingly good guitar – in fact, if anything, his playing was better than ever. Stevie Nicks still has a voice, and simply a presence, that invokes the emotions those songs carried.

And, of course, there are those songs themselves: Partially the soundtrack to the lives of many in the generally older, sold-out crowd.

But on Saturday, the parts of the 23-song, 140-minute show didn’t always add up to the whole you expect with Fleetwood Mac. And sometimes even the parts fell short of expectations.

Lindsey Buckingham with Fleetwood Mac at Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center on Saturday
Photos by Brian Hineline/Special to The Morning Call

The band, with two added multi-instrumentalists and two additional singers, started with what should have been a strong blast: After it took the stage in the dark, there was Buckingham in a spotlight, his guitar blazing to “Second Hand News,” his voice older and a bit ragged (he’s 63) but buoyed by determination.

And then ”The Chain,” its burning, bass-y riff showing off the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood’s possessed drumming and John McVie’s bass.

But neither really connected in the way the songs once did, and the third song, “Dreams,” was even farther from expectations. Nick’s voice also sounded older (she’s 64) and she was more reserved, singing in a lower range. But the night was early and it was only the second show of the tour, and the song still connected, if not as viscerally.

It was no coincidence that the band started with three songs from “Rumours,” its 19-times platinum 1977 album. More than 35 years later, those are the Fleetwood Mac songs that still connect best.

And the fact that second female lead singer Christine McVie is no longer in the band (she left in 1998) cut out many of the others (“Over My Head,” “Hold Me,” “Little Lies.”)

A new song, “Sad Angel,” was a mid-tempo rocker with chime-y guitar and a steady beat that Buckingham said will be on an EP set for June release that includes some of the band’s best material in a long time. And he was seemingly entranced by it, hopping around as he played.

But in truth it was nowhere near the band’s signature stuff, as even the lessor version of “Rhiannon” that followed showed. It got a big cheer to start, and Nicks, who had changed to all black, danced as she sang.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood, with Nicks in shadows in front

In fairness, the show got better as the night went on. “Sisters of the Moon,” a song Nicks said the band hadn’t done since the end of the 1970s, was more in her range, and she pushed her voice, intently bending over and tugging at the mic stand as she sang.

“Sara,” found Nick’s voice floating more, hitting higher notes, as she and Buckingham glanced at each other across the stage. “Big Love,” despite the mumbo-jumbo introduction about “the importance of change” by Buckingham, who played it alone, was very good. His finger-picking was astonishing and his singing a possessed wail.

The mid-show pairing of “Landslide” and “Never Going Back Again” was a highlight of the night.

Nick and Buckingham together, alone and acoustic, on “Landslide” was nicely touching and well sung, with Nicks finally nailing high notes.

John McVie, left, and Fleetwood

And Buckingham playing a slower, gentler “Never Going Back Again” in the same way was great – him singing with fervor and playing sympathetic guitar.

But it seemed the energy built by almost every high point in the show was diffused by an interlude of Buckingham talking about the intentionally non-commercial album “Tusk” and playing two of its songs. (He marched around the stage as he played the title track).

Or playing the long-lost “Without You” or “Eyes of the World” or “I’m So Afraid,” none of which was bad, but seemed to interrupt the flow generated by songs such as “Gypsy,” which also was a highlight. Everything about that song connected perfectly: Buckingham’s playing, Nick’s voice and her spinning around stage as Buckingham added a second voice.

Even the strong run that ended the show was interrupted by the deep cut “I’m So Afraid.” While not a bad song, and again featuring Buckingham’s amazing playing (he skipped around stage as he played), it nonetheless broke the momentum that had started with “Gold Dust Woman.”

That song, nicely atmospheric, had Nicks’ turn to be possessed, waving and pantomiming as she sang to the heartbeat pound of Fleetwood behind her.

And surprisingly, it was the Nicks solo song “Stand Back” on which the band was at its best of the night. And Nick’s singing was especially strong.

The main set closed with “Go Your Own Way,” lightened to lose its sting and too ragged, but still a great song.

The encore started great, with a sharp and mean “World Turning” that included a four-minute drum solo, then “Don’t Stop,” the one Christine McVie song the band did, with Nicks singing her part. It, too, was ragged, but it’s hard to criticize such an uplifting song.

And then Fleetwood Mac closed with a simply amazing “Silver Springs.” Nicks was at her best – impassioned so much she sang with pounding fists. Buckingham’s guitar echoed with expression.

It was everything that was good about Fleetwood Mac – singing, playing and songwriting.

But Nicks and Buckingham came back for a second encore – a quiet and gentle “Say Goodbye” on just an acoustic guitar. It was OK, but it was yet another part that didn’t add up to expectations. In this case, an extra part that didn’t quite fit into a nicely concluded show.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wait, so now the EP is being released in June?

How does a few days/this week turn into JUNE?
Old 04-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
Wait, so now the EP is being released in June?

How does a few days/this week turn into JUNE?
What?? I ain't got time for that! Come on....
Old 04-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
What?? I ain't got time for that! Come on....
not June, soon. that reviewer is def. among other things. stupidest review ever.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
not June, soon. that reviewer is def. among other things. stupidest review ever.
Good! I want new music!
Old 04-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Good! I want new music!
me too! and i hope i'm not wrong but NOBODY heard June at the first 2 shows...

and i meant to say deaf

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Thanks for mentioning this in the other thread]

McCall.com Blog post by John J. Moser
http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleym...reat-show.html

April 8, 2013
REVIEW: Fleetwood Mac in Philly: Good playing, songs and singing don't add up to great show

Fleetwood Mac’s show Saturday at Philadelphia’s Wells Fargo Center had many of the ingredients that made the band such a force of nature in the 1970s, with nine Top 20 songs and 28 million albums sold.

Lindsey Buckingham still plays head-shakingly good guitar – in fact, if anything, his playing was better than ever. Stevie Nicks still has a voice, and simply a presence, that invokes the emotions those songs carried.

And, of course, there are those songs themselves: Partially the soundtrack to the lives of many in the generally older, sold-out crowd.

But on Saturday, the parts of the 23-song, 140-minute show didn’t always add up to the whole you expect with Fleetwood Mac. And sometimes even the parts fell short of expectations.

Lindsey Buckingham with Fleetwood Mac at Philadelphia's Wells Fargo Center on Saturday
Photos by Brian Hineline/Special to The Morning Call

The band, with two added multi-instrumentalists and two additional singers, started with what should have been a strong blast: After it took the stage in the dark, there was Buckingham in a spotlight, his guitar blazing to “Second Hand News,” his voice older and a bit ragged (he’s 63) but buoyed by determination.

And then ”The Chain,” its burning, bass-y riff showing off the rhythm section of Mick Fleetwood’s possessed drumming and John McVie’s bass.

But neither really connected in the way the songs once did, and the third song, “Dreams,” was even farther from expectations. Nick’s voice also sounded older (she’s 64) and she was more reserved, singing in a lower range. But the night was early and it was only the second show of the tour, and the song still connected, if not as viscerally.

It was no coincidence that the band started with three songs from “Rumours,” its 19-times platinum 1977 album. More than 35 years later, those are the Fleetwood Mac songs that still connect best.

And the fact that second female lead singer Christine McVie is no longer in the band (she left in 1998) cut out many of the others (“Over My Head,” “Hold Me,” “Little Lies.”)

A new song, “Sad Angel,” was a mid-tempo rocker with chime-y guitar and a steady beat that Buckingham said will be on an EP set for June release that includes some of the band’s best material in a long time. And he was seemingly entranced by it, hopping around as he played.

But in truth it was nowhere near the band’s signature stuff, as even the lessor version of “Rhiannon” that followed showed. It got a big cheer to start, and Nicks, who had changed to all black, danced as she sang.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood, with Nicks in shadows in front

In fairness, the show got better as the night went on. “Sisters of the Moon,” a song Nicks said the band hadn’t done since the end of the 1970s, was more in her range, and she pushed her voice, intently bending over and tugging at the mic stand as she sang.

“Sara,” found Nick’s voice floating more, hitting higher notes, as she and Buckingham glanced at each other across the stage. “Big Love,” despite the mumbo-jumbo introduction about “the importance of change” by Buckingham, who played it alone, was very good. His finger-picking was astonishing and his singing a possessed wail.

The mid-show pairing of “Landslide” and “Never Going Back Again” was a highlight of the night.

Nick and Buckingham together, alone and acoustic, on “Landslide” was nicely touching and well sung, with Nicks finally nailing high notes.

John McVie, left, and Fleetwood

And Buckingham playing a slower, gentler “Never Going Back Again” in the same way was great – him singing with fervor and playing sympathetic guitar.

But it seemed the energy built by almost every high point in the show was diffused by an interlude of Buckingham talking about the intentionally non-commercial album “Tusk” and playing two of its songs. (He marched around the stage as he played the title track).

Or playing the long-lost “Without You” or “Eyes of the World” or “I’m So Afraid,” none of which was bad, but seemed to interrupt the flow generated by songs such as “Gypsy,” which also was a highlight. Everything about that song connected perfectly: Buckingham’s playing, Nick’s voice and her spinning around stage as Buckingham added a second voice.

Even the strong run that ended the show was interrupted by the deep cut “I’m So Afraid.” While not a bad song, and again featuring Buckingham’s amazing playing (he skipped around stage as he played), it nonetheless broke the momentum that had started with “Gold Dust Woman.”

That song, nicely atmospheric, had Nicks’ turn to be possessed, waving and pantomiming as she sang to the heartbeat pound of Fleetwood behind her.

And surprisingly, it was the Nicks solo song “Stand Back” on which the band was at its best of the night. And Nick’s singing was especially strong.

The main set closed with “Go Your Own Way,” lightened to lose its sting and too ragged, but still a great song.

The encore started great, with a sharp and mean “World Turning” that included a four-minute drum solo, then “Don’t Stop,” the one Christine McVie song the band did, with Nicks singing her part. It, too, was ragged, but it’s hard to criticize such an uplifting song.

And then Fleetwood Mac closed with a simply amazing “Silver Springs.” Nicks was at her best – impassioned so much she sang with pounding fists. Buckingham’s guitar echoed with expression.

It was everything that was good about Fleetwood Mac – singing, playing and songwriting.

But Nicks and Buckingham came back for a second encore – a quiet and gentle “Say Goodbye” on just an acoustic guitar. It was OK, but it was yet another part that didn’t add up to expectations. In this case, an extra part that didn’t quite fit into a nicely concluded show.
I am the first one to complain when I think a show's pacing is wrong, but I'm sorry, this man just got it wrong. Besides, from a writer's perspective, it is so choppily written, and doesn't make his points. The headline prepares us to read about some major flaw, then he goes on to say a bunch of good stuff, finally getting to the fact the SN "seems older"..!!!!! DUH! Not much any of us can do about that, dude.
And he says every high point was interrupted by the TUsk speech?? That makes no sense - I mean, I hate that speech too, but it was ONE time! And btw, I LIKE the speech about Big Love - I think it's cool just the way it is.

And then he says that Stevie creates a nice atmospheric mood with GDW, which Lindsey "interrupts" with ISA???? Doesn't he get the call-and-response, back and forth nature of their leads??? And doesn't he realize that each singer needs time to regroup after a big song??? YOu can't have either one leading on more than a couple songs in a row - DUH! And to claim that ISA breaks a mood of possession is just bass ackwards - Could there be anything MORE possessed than LB playing ISA??
Last, he is dead wrong about Say Goodbye. I usually don't like slow closers either, but we finally get to hear Say Goodbye with real feeling at the correct slower tempo (not the rushed compressed version that was squeezed onto SYW), and with a heartfelt intro from both. I thought it capped off the night perfectly.
OK, done ranting...I agree, lamest reviewer ever.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Ledgie

Anyone recall after which song Stevie cried? Thanks!