Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
I'd be interested in the perception of us UK Ledgies from our American friends... How do you perceive where we live?

really cool & intelligent folk (The best rock bands in history were British!), the hilarious "gangster" Ali G. (Sasha Cohen Hehehehe!!!!), Rainy/foggy London days & tons of tea, pubs, ale & football (aka Soccer)!!! Forgot to include the tourist attraction known as the royal family!!

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 12-27-2004, 12:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life
really cool & intelligent folk (The best rock bands in history were British!), the hilarious "gangster" Ali G. (Sasha Cohen Hehehehe!!!!), Rainy/foggy London days & tons of tea, pubs, ale & football (aka Soccer)!!! Forgot to include the tourist attraction known as the royal family!!

Brian j.
Cool and Intelligent... I would have to agree with that as far as the Ledgie community is concerned however the general populous is as idiotic as any country...

Bands... Erm, well, Cream, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zep, The Who, The Bee Gees, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Dire Straits, Eurythmics, The Shadows, Duran Duran, Black Sabbath, Status Quo, to name a few... Oh yeah, a band called Fleetwood Mac too...

There have been a couple of solo artists to name as well I guess... Eric Clapton, David Bowie, Sting, Elton John, George Michael, Phil Collins, Slash, Elvis Costello to name just a few... We do have a good history in music for a little island..

Ali G.. hahahahaa, Yeah that dude is funny..

Rainy and Foggy tends to cover all of the UK, believe it or not London is one of the warmer and drier parts of the UK!!!

The Royal Family... Yes... A bit like an eccentric relative.. Everybody likes them except those that have to be around them all the time... Still I'd take Liz and Phil over Bush any day!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'd be interested in the perception of us UK Ledgies from our American friends... How do you perceive where we live?
All the Brits I've come in contact with here on the Ledge are great! However, I have a friend who lives in England with her hubby, who is stationed there, and I've heard nothing from her but how badly some of the British treat the Americans. When she is in public, she tries to keep from talking so no one knows she's an American. I think she's made a few friends over there, but says she still dosen't feel completely comfortable. Other then that, I've always percieved Brits as funny, non-emotional (stiff upper lip), and intelligent.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
And John Waters.
I love Pink Flamingos, and Female Trouble, and.........

No one like to watch those movies with me though!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Hummm...

Funny nobody said what they think about Peru. any idea?
Old 12-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
I like Peru - I did not really spend any significant time in Lima - bit it seemed like a typical big city. I did, however, LOVE Iquitos and the Nappo and Amazon Rivers. I also LOVED the Yagua (sp.?) Indian villages we visited. I highly recommend Preu to all people looking for a little adventure!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 12-27-2004, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation England!!

I was treated very well in England by everyone (except the drunk groper on December 10th LOL)!! It was cold and rainy, got dark at like 3:30PM (Ack!), but it's the coolest place I've ever been. We did walk by a lawn where they had anti-Bush signs and stuff, but that had zero to do with me personally...I didn't vote for the goober. LOL Other than that, I saw no Anti-American sentiments. The fact that I hear they have a Thanksgiving menu at some restaurants for tourists is pretty cool. I don't remember what I ate on Thanksgiving there last year, but it was probably some American fast food. LOL I remember the day before I left, I went to buy an additional bag for my souveniers...and the clerk was VERY attentive and sweet to me. I don't recall one rude encounter with anyone (sans drunk guy).

Can't wait to go back!

What does everyone think about Texas? I know what you think, Brian. LOL!!

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 12-27-2004 at 03:08 PM..
Old 12-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I was treated very well in England by everyone (except the drunk groper on December 10th LOL)!! It was cold and rainy, got dark at like 3:30PM (Ack!), but it's the coolest place I've ever been. We did walk by a lawn where they had anti-Bush signs and stuff, but that had zero to do with me personally...I didn't vote for the goober. LOL Other than that, I saw no Anti-American sentiments. The fact that I hear they have a Thanksgiving menu at some restaurants for tourists is pretty cool. I don't remember what I ate on Thanksgiving there last year, but it was probably some American fast food. LOL I remember the day before I left, I went to buy an additional bag for my souveniers...and the clerk was VERY attentive and sweet to me. I don't recall one rude encounter with anyone (sans drunk guy).

Can't wait to go back!

What does everyone think about Texas? I know what you think, Brian. LOL!!
Bull riding, beer swilling honkey tonks. Pickup trucks, the Alamo, dust, heat, Bush (bleck), cowboy hat/boots, drawl, swagger...
Old 12-27-2004, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
..... I highly recommend Peru to all people looking for a little adventure!!!!
I agree Lima is not the best of Peru cities. But the jungle is great, and Cusco is A MUST!!!

Now my perceptions.

I LOVE England. People were very kind. And the country, the buildings, I love it.
I love Paris also. They say people is unfriendly but I think I was lucky.

From the US, my favorite place are (in order) San Francisco, Florida, and NYC. Reasons? It's complicated, I think the mix of several.
Seattle was nice but a always rainy. Dallas and Houston.. not big deal. Las Vegas was cool (the Striop of course). GRAND CANYON RULED!

As Argentina. They said people from B.Aires are arrogant. MAybe they are, but they were cool with me. I thini I'm a lucky traveler.

I loved food from Argentina, Thailand, Brasil. Though peruvian is the best, ha ha
Old 12-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:

I mostly think of Rain and pasty skin. but that, of course, isn't universally true. I also think that overall, brits are more clever and funny than we are. I also think of being able to smoke in all the pubs, and that everyone drinks more than us. I also think of black people with british accents, which is weird to me everytime i hear it. Oh, I also think of your cops not having guns, which, if it's true, makes your country really, really, cool....

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
My only visions of Peru come from my favorite show globetrekker. So, mostly i think of how when i get to take a vacation, I want to parasail off this one mountain in Peru like i saw them doing on the show. Basically, it just looks like an amazingly beautiful country. Also, I saw these really native people on there of very, very old blood, who live as herders and make beautiful things of Llama fur...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 12-27-2004, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif]I was treated very well in England by everyone (except the drunk groper on December 10th LOL)!! It was cold and rainy, got dark at like 3:30PM (Ack!), but it's the coolest place I've ever been. We did walk by a lawn where they had anti-Bush signs and stuff, but that had zero to do with me personally...I didn't vote for the goober. LOL Other than that, I saw no Anti-American sentiments. The fact that I hear they have a Thanksgiving menu at some restaurants for tourists is pretty cool. I don't remember what I ate on Thanksgiving there last year, but it was probably some American fast food. LOL I remember the day before I left, I went to buy an additional bag for my souveniers...and the clerk was VERY attentive and sweet to me. I don't recall one rude encounter with anyone (sans drunk guy).
I never thought the Brits were anti-American either, and am glad that you had a good experience. Maybe it's just because my friend lives on base and it's possible that the Brits around the bases have had enough with the Americans there.

My cousin has also been over there, and says he really thinks it's where you're at. He's told me most places are friendly, but he had a few slurs in other parts... None the less, it is on my list-to-do-before-I-die. I would love to see England.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I mostly think of Rain and pasty skin. but that, of course, isn't universally true. I also think that overall, brits are more clever and funny than we are. I also think of being able to smoke in all the pubs, and that everyone drinks more than us. I also think of black people with british accents, which is weird to me everytime i hear it. Oh, I also think of your cops not having guns, which, if it's true, makes your country really, really, cool....
Get out of my head, woman! Sesly, it's like you qouted me.

OK, Amber's in CA, right? I was there twice, but the trips very brief - Marina Del Ray & LA (to see Mac ,) then San Diego.

Even though I (now) know that CA is HUGE and that the northern part is pretty far north and can get cold and that LA is NOT how the whole state is:

I still picture that the entire state is warm & sunny at all times and that everyone is tan, blond, thin & very attractive. Of course, they all live in huge mansions that have a great ocean view. They all drive sports cars too. Swimming pools. Movie stars. The Hollywood sign. The San Diego Zoo. Surfer dudes. The beach. The Mamas & the Papas. The Beach Boys. Palm trees. Did I leave anything out?

OK, Buffalo, NY - BRING IT ON BABY!!! Go ahead, I can take it! I mean, it could be worse, I could live in West Virginia...

JK, Curtis. Plenty of white trash up here too, that's for sure.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Get out of my head, woman! Sesly, it's like you qouted me.

OK, Amber's in CA, right? I was there twice, but the trips very brief - Marina Del Ray & LA (to see Mac ,) then San Diego.

Even though I (now) know that CA is HUGE and that the northern part is pretty far north and can get cold and that LA is NOT how the whole state is:

I still picture that the entire state is warm & sunny at all times and that everyone is tan, blond, thin & very attractive. Of course, they all live in huge mansions that have a great ocean view. They all drive sports cars too. Swimming pools. Movie stars. The Hollywood sign. The San Diego Zoo. Surfer dudes. The beach. The Mamas & the Papas. The Beach Boys. Palm trees. Did I leave anything out?

OK, Buffalo, NY - BRING IT ON BABY!!! Go ahead, I can take it! I mean, it could be worse, I could live in West Virginia...

JK, Curtis. Plenty of white trash up here too, that's for sure.
Yep, that's what i look like, and that's how i live...
Think of this - Oakland and SF have a high murder rate, (couple years back, Oakland had 120 or something. SF beat us last year, though).
You might also want to imagine my personal favorite - there is no summer here. Oh, and fuggedabout finding a reasonably priced place to live. Aint gonna happen. Unless you want to live in a serious 'hood.

Old 12-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wait, i have a question i've been wondering about. Do people who live in bays in other parts of the country call where they live "the Bay Area"????