User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tower
It's my Number One Stevie Pet Peeve.... her laziness.
I dunno what it is. I think she picks one thing that works and then doesn't deviate. Which is fine for what it is, but I need some diversity.

Quote:
I have all of Joni's albums. Sometimes it's hard for me to listen to her stuff, knowing that she's retired. But, I worship the **** out of her nonetheless.
I've been a fan for about 10 years...I'd heard everything up to 1977, and a few songs from her '80s albums, then everything from 1994 on...until recently. Then, I heard the Wild Things Run Fast album, and something about it just gave me a whole new appreciation of her. There are a couple of songs that are something akin to "blue-eyed soul" that are just great. It made me realize completely that people who call her a folk singer really have no idea what they're talking about.

Quote:
Just last night I sat down at the piano and played the beginning of "Bella Donna" and chills just went WHOOP up my spine...
There isn't a clunker on the album, IMO. And it's probably the only album of hers where that's the case. Although I do like RAL.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Ok so if we give her that she had her problems with Klonopin and Epstein Barr in the late 80 -early 90s, what is causing her aversion to want to do anything creative now?She has enough of a fan base that almost any record label would support her putting out new material I believe .I can't give up on her and be 'over her' because she meant so much to me in the past but I am of the generation that grew up with her at her zenith .I can't see her holding on to newer fans indefinitely by not doing anything other than tour as an oldies type act.I alreadly see the inevitable erosion among some of the younger Ledgies on here.
I dunno. She's old? My parents are exactly her age, and they sit around in chairs a lot. And they're somewhat healthy.
As far as the newer fans - there is so much Stevie material out there that it's going to take me a very long time to see/hear it all. That will keep the youngin's busy for a bit of awhile, too. Some will move on.

And Markolas? You don't have to laugh because you like RAL.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 01-20-2006 at 11:42 PM..
Old 01-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I dunno. She's old? My parents are exactly her age, and they sit around in chairs a lot. And they're somewhat healthy.
Emmylou Harris is a year older than Stevie and I remember Diss saying that the album she is working on now is her most adventurous yet.But maybe Emmylou is the shining exception to the rule.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
there is so much Stevie material out there that it's going to take me a very long time to see/hear it all.
There ain't THAT much. For someone who claims to be so prolific, her actual output is pretty paltry. Unless you're talking about demos and stuff like that, to which I say sure, there's plenty of it, but it takes a strong stomach & effort to listen to and collect it.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
Emmylou Harris is a year older than Stevie and I remember Diss saying that the album she is working on now is her most adventurous yet.But maybe Emmylou is the shining exception to the rule.
Perhaps. She looks really healthy, too. I have read much about her personal life, so I don't know about her drug use and all that, but if she did less that would be a factor. Also, she sings in a way that is not too damaging to her vocal chords - so she is not limited by her vocal capacity like Stevie is. I think Stevie in some ways has a more staid sensibility, but I think in other ways she is very spontaneous and adventurous and unusual. Just perhaps not in all the ways we would've hoped. Hey, Stevie doesn't break her song mold, and Emmylou doesn't dervish manically around the stage and do things with her voice that are ill advised, yet beautiful, yet terrible, yet otherworldly, and extremely erratic. You can't have it all.

I cannot currently think of any real good argument for the state of some of Stevie's lyrics. I might have to concede that one. I can say, however, that Stevie was writing bad lyrics quite a while before she became famous (Amber), and writing her worst and best lyrics simultaneously throughout the late seventies early - mid 80's. So, I look at it as something intrinsic, not laziness.
Hey, that was a pretty good justification after all!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 01-20-2006, 11:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
There ain't THAT much. For someone who claims to be so prolific, her actual output is pretty paltry. Unless you're talking about demos and stuff like that, to which I say sure, there's plenty of it, but it takes a strong stomach & effort to listen to and collect it.
That is exactly what I am talking about. Plus all the video footage. I haven't seen but a midge. I mean, hello, I have six different versions of Blue Lamp rehearsal with the Heartbreakers, and two other Blue Lamp rehearsals besides. A few different Gypsies, etc. etc. till the end of time. There'd still be a considerable body there without the demos that never got released.
Sir Snarkalot.

Old 01-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That is exactly what I am talking about. Plus all the video footage. I haven't seen but a midge. I mean, hello, I have six different versions of Blue Lamp rehearsal with the Heartbreakers, and two other Blue Lamp rehearsals besides. A few different Gypsies, etc. etc. till the end of time. There'd still be a considerable body there without the demos that never got released.
Sir Snarkalot.
Starshine!! You used to be silver!!

Just for you.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whoa Nellie! This thread was about a comparison between Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks. How does Emmylou and others enter into this?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Starshine!! You used to be silver!!

Just for you.

You won't believe this, but I actually just came back to edit my post and put: "Starshine! Oh you used to be silver!" in big letters. Seriously, I stopped in the middle of constructing a grilled cheese to do it.

It's never not funny.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

it seems like we are running out of original criticisms...

...so, we've covered her laziness, her sucky setlists, her lack of varied projects, lack of "adventure" and small catalog...

come on guys...how else can we slice it?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
Whoa Nellie! This thread was about a comparison between Linda Ronstadt and Stevie Nicks. How does Emmylou and others enter into this?
You obviously have not been around on the Ledge for very long.Going from Stevie/Linda to Emmylou is a very minor digression compared to where alot of threads go on here.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You won't believe this, but I actually just came back to edit my post and put: "Starshine! Oh you used to be silver!" in big letters. Seriously, I stopped in the middle of constructing a grilled cheese to do it.

It's never not funny.

It came onto my Winamp playlist and I just HAD to.

PS: If you have a CD burner, you know that you can burn that MPEG I sent you onto a blank CD to watch in your DVD player, right? It would be way more fun than sitting in front of a monitor.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

It came onto my Winamp playlist and I just HAD to.

PS: If you have a CD burner, you know that you can burn that MPEG I sent you onto a blank CD to watch in your DVD player, right? It would be way more fun than sitting in front of a monitor.
Oh, sweetiedarling, my monitor is my DVD player. My TV has video. But - I don't have to sit in front of it because I bolted the flatscreen to the wall on a swivel arm - I just face it toward the couch and voila.
Doesn't it have to be a DVD cd or something?

Old 01-21-2006, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
it seems like we are running out of original criticisms...

...so, we've covered her laziness, her sucky setlists, her lack of varied projects, lack of "adventure" and small catalog...

come on guys...how else can we slice it?
But have you heard Starshine?

There's not really another way to slice it, I guess.

Old 01-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, sweetiedarling, my monitor is my DVD player. My TV has video. But - I don't have to sit in front of it because I bolted the flatscreen to the wall on a swivel arm - I just face it toward the couch and voila.
Doesn't it have to be a DVD cd or something?
That's ingenious.

No, it can be just a regular blank CD if they're MPEG files.