The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Any of you belong to a Google group forum.I hate the new version of Google Groups.Very confusing and annoying.They should make it an option to switch back to the old one.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love the fact that the only time my Dad has anything to say to me is when he has something to criticise. He fawns over our Cats, but when it comes to me I get blank expressions and shrugs. Thanks Dad. Thank you for making it so much easier for me to plan my moving out.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I love the fact that the only time my Dad has anything to say to me is when he has something to criticise. He fawns over our Cats, but when it comes to me I get blank expressions and shrugs. Thanks Dad. Thank you for making it so much easier for me to plan my moving out.
I'd always thought I was a disappointment to my Father as well. I share none of his interests or ambitions. I figured I must be a tremendous disappointment to him since I'm the polar opposite of the relentless, workaholic corporate climber he is. I work to live, not live to work. I have no interest in sports or flying small planes either. My little brother has always been his "baby" who shares all of his interests. I never have gotten much feedback from my Dad from my decision to be a career civil servant who spends his time volunteering, hiking, and swimming. I live a very simple, laid back life.

But a couple years back one of my father's female coworkers shared my parents lakehouse with me for a weekend, and she told me about how incessantly chatty my Father is about me.... about how terribly proud he is of the path in life I've taken. She brought all this up on her own, and shared specific accomplishments of mine. I was absolutely stunned. Fathers may not always be the best at articulating their feelings, but I assure you, yours does care & is proud.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
But a couple years back one of my father's female coworkers shared my parents lakehouse with me for a weekend, and she told me about how incessantly chatty my Father is about me.... about how terribly proud he is of the path in life I've taken. She brought all this up on her own, and shared specific accomplishments of mine. I was absolutely stunned. Fathers may not always be the best at articulating their feelings, but I assure you, yours does care & is proud.
Well, some people are just wired differently. He probably COULDN'T live your laid back lifestyle. It would probably drive him crazy, having that much free time to enjoy.

People think that I'm a workaholic, and nothing could be farther from the truth. I do have responsibilities, and always take care of those, but believe me, I work at breakneck speed, so that I can get FINISHED. Then it's party time! (I'm really weird...a fairly successful lazy ass)
Old 03-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, some people are just wired differently. He probably COULDN'T live your laid back lifestyle. It would probably drive him crazy, having that much free time to enjoy.

People think that I'm a workaholic, and nothing could be farther from the truth. I do have responsibilities, and always take care of those, but believe me, I work at breakneck speed, so that I can get FINISHED. Then it's party time! (I'm really weird...a fairly successful lazy ass)
Oh, I'm the same way. I work harder than anyone else in my department (I was recently promoted, and am being replaced by two people), but I've never chosen a job where I have to do any work outside of an 8-5 Monday-Friday schedule. I don't make any money at all, but it satisfies me greatly to commit myself to public service.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, I'm the same way. I work harder than anyone else in my department (I was recently promoted, and am being replaced by two people), but I've never chosen a job where I have to do any work outside of an 8-5 Monday-Friday schedule. I don't make any money at all, but it satisfies me greatly to commit myself to public service.
Stop.being.me.

I once worked a real job where they absolutely refused to promote me, because of my refusal to work overtime. They said, "you're the best in your department, but everyone else is willing to work weekends, and you're not...so your last on the promotions list".

Oh well, f*ck em! I quit soon after, and went back and finished my B.A.
I'm more than happy to work my 40 hours, work HARD, never call in sick, etc.....but you'll never own me. 40 hours is all I want, and all you're going to get from me!
Actually, that was my next to last real job, and I've been self employed for (ho sh*t).....let's just say close to 20 years now!
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't make any money at all, but it satisfies me greatly to commit myself to public service.
I'm guessing your hubby makes a good income based on the fancy digs you had in N.C. where you showed us pictures of the inside of that gorgeous home. If you were single do you suppose you might work harder at making better money or would you stay exactly the same as you are now?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm guessing your hubby makes a good income based on the fancy digs you had in N.C. where you showed us pictures of the inside of that gorgeous home. If you were single do you suppose you might work harder at making better money or would you stay exactly the same as you are now?
I worked in the public sector before my partner came along, and I would continue to do so if we parted ways tomorrow (we're both long-term public sector workers- it's how we met). It's what I feel I'm supposed to do. I've worked in the private sector before, and I just didn't feel like I was doing anything worthwhile with my life. We're now living in the smallest space either one of us has ever resided in, and neither of us have ever been happier anywhere.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How anyone could not fall totally in love with England when it's sunny is beyond me. I really do love this place....even when it rains. (:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-heart View Post
How anyone could not fall totally in love with England when it's sunny is beyond me. I really do love this place....even when it rains. (:
It's beautiful at the moment isn't it? Happy that the clocks have changed so that the evenings are lighter for longer. Although it's hard to get motivated to complete my lesson plans when it's so lovely out!

Last edited by poetinmyheart; 03-26-2012 at 11:55 AM..
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinmyheart View Post
It's beautiful at the moment isn't it? Happy that the clocks have changed so that the evenings are lighter for longer. Although it's hard to get motivated to complete my lesson plans when it's so lovely out!
Yes, it is. I love it when it's like this. I decided to get the bus that takes ages to get to town today just because everything looks so much prettier than normal, reading on the bus is also one of my favourite things to do so today was lovely.

Know the feeling none of my work is getting done ahahaha.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS that today I was observed as part of my teacher training and I received a 1 for my lesson. Lessons are graded from 1 (excellent) down to 4 (unsatisfactory). Am really happy! The lesson took me ages to plan but it paid off

Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild-heart View Post
I've been watching the show 'Doc Martin' lately & that alone has really warmed me up to the idea of visiting England at some point. I love English history & architecture, but I have zero tolerance for northern climates. Even the winters here in Austin are too cold for me!
Old 03-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I've been watching the show 'Doc Martin' lately & that alone has really warmed me up to the idea of visiting England at some point. I love English history & architecture, but I have zero tolerance for northern climates. Even the winters here in Austin are too cold for me!
Yay, another Doc Martin fan!

As a lifelong NYer, I'm incapable of tolerating both extreme cold and extreme heat...
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post

As a lifelong NYer, I'm incapable of tolerating both extreme cold and extreme heat...
Well I'm more like Louie. It could be 90-95 and sunny, 365 days a year, in my world. Seriously. I love heat, and the naked 4AM pool parties associated with heat.