The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just took my cat, that's been going blind, to the vet. I'd figured it was just cataracts(sp) or something, because she's like 15-16 years old. But, yesterday I noticed that they were turning blood red, so obviously I had to take her in. Well, at first the vet thought it probably was cancer(how's MY luck with animals!), but she found out that she has a heart murmer, which causes blood in the eyes. Cancer's not ruled out, but it looks like it's the murmer causing it. I've got to give her eye drops for a couple weeks, to see if we can clear them up. If we do, then we'll start heart meds for her. That bad news is that often in cats, the murmer causes blood clots to come loose(but oddly, it doesn't happen in dogs). Then, the clots often make their way down to their "saddle"(where the legs meet), and paralyze the cat. She said if that happens, putting them to sleep is the only answer. She said the murmer is a 3, on a scale of 1-6, so hopefully that's a little bit of good news, as far as clots go.

I'm not really a cat person, but she was my Mom's baby....
Old 02-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stupid question, but can they put cats on blood thinners? To prevent clotting? i know nothing about animal medicine (or human for that matter). At any rate-good luck to your kitty.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Just took my cat, that's been going blind, to the vet. I'd figured it was just cataracts(sp) or something, because she's like 15-16 years old. But, yesterday I noticed that they were turning blood red, so obviously I had to take her in. Well, at first the vet thought it probably was cancer(how's MY luck with animals!), but she found out that she has a heart murmer, which causes blood in the eyes. Cancer's not ruled out, but it looks like it's the murmer causing it. I've got to give her eye drops for a couple weeks, to see if we can clear them up. If we do, then we'll start heart meds for her. That bad news is that often in cats, the murmer causes blood clots to come loose(but oddly, it doesn't happen in dogs). Then, the clots often make their way down to their "saddle"(where the legs meet), and paralyze the cat. She said if that happens, putting them to sleep is the only answer. She said the murmer is a 3, on a scale of 1-6, so hopefully that's a little bit of good news, as far as clots go.

I'm not really a cat person, but she was my Mom's baby....

Geez..I'm so sorry This is the last thing you need!
Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
Stupid question, but can they put cats on blood thinners? To prevent clotting? i know nothing about animal medicine (or human for that matter). At any rate-good luck to your kitty.
I don't know about the blood thinners....I'll ask. She just said the clots are an oddity of cats. That murmurs cause clots, and clots usually tend to paralyze the back legs.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

I want to bring this little one home...
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
I want to bring this little one home...
My heart is bursting with love and joy... she is being spayed and I am bringing her home tomorrow. She is a 5-month old terrier mix and I already love her.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^I'm so happy that you're giving her a great home!
Old 02-22-2007, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
^^^I'm so happy that you're giving her a great home!
Thank you Homie...it feels right...when I left the shelter I was so filled with happiness...tears flowed knowing Shelly is with me on this adoption. ((((david))))
Old 02-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank you Homie...it feels right...when I left the shelter I was so filled with happiness...tears flowed knowing Shelly is with me on this adoption. ((((david))))
Now I'm crying.
I just can't bring myself to do it yet. When/if I do, it will ABSOLUTELY be a shelter dog.
Bless you, Niki.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My heart is bursting with love and joy... she is being spayed and I am bringing her home tomorrow. She is a 5-month old terrier mix and I already love her.
omg fuzzy face.

i love dogs with fuzzy faces. <3 <3 <3 congratulations on a new, precious baby. her eyes look so sweet.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY
Thank you. A really incredible experience...she just clung to me and licked me over and over with happiness ("take me home")...I walked her on a leash for a little bit, and she sat on my lap...she is a hugger...she climbed up my chest and clung to my neck...shelly was exactly that way only she was 75 pounds of heft wrapping her arms around my neck...she was shaking a little from the other animals making so much noise...but I was able to soothe her very well and she felt safe. I just wish I could have taken her with me right then...a real doll. I am thankful I will have her tomorrow so we can enjoy the long weekend (I am off tomorrow) getting to know one another. Homie, you will know when the time is right...and cash will help bring that to you when you are ready. ((((david))))
Old 02-22-2007, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And look at that face!!!!! Adorable!!!

Sounds like it was meant to be, I'm so glad another homeless pet has found a good and loving home.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thank God there's people like you that do these kind of things for animals
Old 02-22-2007, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thankyou...
Old 02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

utoh...I have never had a puppy spayed. Is there anything I should know about her aftercare? I guess they will tell me when I pick her up...but I am a little scared. What should I have ready for her? If you know what to do or have experienced this, please let me know. Thanks.