User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangdrum View Post
Yikes, sorry to hear about the sweater! It's good to hear that someone actually turned in the camera though; I would've figured it gone for good.

If it helps the perspective at all, the courthouse where robbery is apparently just fine is the Bronx Housing Court (*cough*GHETTO*cough* ).

Come to Queens more often! We're much nicer than Bronx people!
Well... Flushing is also a ghetto, but a different kind. I think I'll just leave it at that, lest I get accused of being a bigot. To be honest, when I realized my sweater was stolen, I was not in the least bit surprised and I chided myself for assuming, well, that "these people" were somehow more honorable than the rest of the populace at large. I can chuck that boneheaded theory right out the window.

I drive through the Bronx every day... but the nice part (Riverdale). But yeah, I know that the Bronx can get a bit dicey. One of my earliest memories of living in New York was going out on the town one Saturday night, falling asleep on the subway, and then waking up at the terminus of the 4 train way up in the Bronx. I was so scared! But I think it was more due to the fact that I had never been that far into the outer boroughs than anything else. I probably wouldn't feel that way today.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Well... Flushing is also a ghetto, but a different kind. I think I'll just leave it at that, lest I get accused of being a bigot. To be honest, when I realized my sweater was stolen, I was not in the least bit surprised and I chided myself for assuming, well, that "these people" were somehow more honorable than the rest of the populace at large. I can chuck that boneheaded theory right out the window.

I drive through the Bronx every day... but the nice part (Riverdale). But yeah, I know that the Bronx can get a bit dicey. One of my earliest memories of living in New York was going out on the town one Saturday night, falling asleep on the subway, and then waking up at the terminus of the 4 train way up in the Bronx. I was so scared! But I think it was more due to the fact that I had never been that far into the outer boroughs than anything else. I probably wouldn't feel that way today.
There are two Flushings: Asian Flushing and Jewish Flushing. I don't have much experience with Asian Flushing. But yeah, I don't think there's any kind of color barrier on rudeness and thievery.

I spend far too much of my time on the subway every day - the courthouse is on Grand Concourse (aka ghettotown), and the office (which I only have to go to at the end of the day) is near Fordham Road (I think 4 stops from the terminus of the 4 train)! Being on the Fordham Road bus after dark is a unique experience.

I'm from the city... but from Forest Hills, not the dicey parts of town...
Old 02-18-2012, 02:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

For the first time in my life I feel OLD. I went to a neighbor's birthday party tonight, and everyone was like 24. I thought I was cool with turning 30 this year (excited, even), but maybe I'm not!
Old 02-18-2012, 04:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are two Flushings: Asian Flushing and Jewish Flushing. I don't have much experience with Asian Flushing. But yeah, I don't think there's any kind of color barrier on rudeness and thievery.

I spend far too much of my time on the subway every day - the courthouse is on Grand Concourse (aka ghettotown), and the office (which I only have to go to at the end of the day) is near Fordham Road (I think 4 stops from the terminus of the 4 train)! Being on the Fordham Road bus after dark is a unique experience.

I'm from the city... but from Forest Hills, not the dicey parts of town...
Seriously, I've never been to NYC. Could you locals give me an assessment of the Burroughs(is that the correct distinction?). How many are there(I mean, we all know Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Harlem, Manhattan, etc....)?
Maybe a breakdown, from the best(least likely to get mugged/nicer people), to where getting murdered/raped/robbed is pretty likely.
I'm not trying to be funny, at all, I just found the above distinctions, to be intriguing....
Old 02-18-2012, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
For the first time in my life I feel OLD. I went to a neighbor's birthday party tonight, and everyone was like 24. I thought I was cool with turning 30 this year (excited, even), but maybe I'm not!
Louie, I go back and forth, between feeling both. I have many friends still in that younger age bracket. And I usually fit in. I worked 14 hours today, and thought about trying to find an after hours party,......went to pee at work, looked in the mirror, and looked/felt tired. Apparently, I'm not Superman....at least not tonight! lol

I'm off tomorrow, though...I'm thinking "sleep in late", then regroup, and wear tomorrow OUT!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Seriously, I've never been to NYC. Could you locals give me an assessment of the Burroughs(is that the correct distinction?). How many are there(I mean, we all know Bronx, Queens, Long Island, Harlem, Manhattan, etc....)?
Maybe a breakdown, from the best(least likely to get mugged/nicer people), to where getting murdered/raped/robbed is pretty likely.
I'm not trying to be funny, at all, I just found the above distinctions, to be intriguing....
OK, I'll give it a shot, though I'm probably not the best person to ask. There are 5 boroughs - Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island. Long Island is next to Queens (and not a borough but two counties, Nassau and Suffolk) and Harlem is part of Manhattan. I believe the general consensus is that parts of Brooklyn, large parts of the Bronx, and Harlem are probably the worst places crime-wise. Most of Queens is deathly boring and fairly suburban compared to the other boroughs.

Oh, and nobody cares about Staten Island.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hello how is everyone!

SuperFleetwood
www.youtube.com/SuperFleetwoodMac (Watch Rare HQ Fleetwood Mac Videos) And youtube.com/thesuperfleetwood
Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OK, I'll give it a shot, though I'm probably not the best person to ask. There are 5 boroughs - Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Manhattan, and Staten Island. Long Island is next to Queens (and not a borough but two counties, Nassau and Suffolk) and Harlem is part of Manhattan. I believe the general consensus is that parts of Brooklyn, large parts of the Bronx, and Harlem are probably the worst places crime-wise. Most of Queens is deathly boring and fairly suburban compared to the other boroughs.

Oh, and nobody cares about Staten Island.
So what are things like Flushing? Just a neighborhood? Or something bigger than that?
Old 02-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Yeah, Queens (and to a certain extent Brooklyn) are very much divided into neighborhoods. The Bronx and Manhattan (and Staten Island) have neighborhoods too, but if you're mailing something to an address in Manhattan/Bronx/SI/most of Brooklyn, you'd write, e.g., "Brooklyn, NY 11201." For Queens, you'd write the neighborhood instead - "Forest Hills, NY 11375." IIRC, this is because Queens was sort of pulled together in the 1800s from various towns (Flushing, Jamaica, some others). Brooklyn was as well, but they haven't pushed the address issue.

Here's plenty of information (obviously not all perfect) on neighborhoods in NYC.

Here is a good description of the different view of neighborhoods in Queens.

Last edited by bangdrum; 02-18-2012 at 04:02 PM..
Old 02-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, Queens (and to a certain extent Brooklyn) are very much divided into neighborhoods. The Bronx and Manhattan (and Staten Island) have neighborhoods too, but if you're mailing something to an address in Manhattan/Bronx/SI/most of Brooklyn, you'd write, e.g., "Brooklyn, NY 11201." For Queens, you'd write the neighborhood instead - "Forest Hills, NY 11375." IIRC, this is because Queens was sort of pulled together in the 1800s from various towns (Flushing, Jamaica, some others). Brooklyn was as well, but they haven't pushed the address issue.

Here's plenty of information (obviously not all perfect) on neighborhoods in NYC.

Here is a good description of the different view of neighborhoods in Queens.
Very interesting to read. Thanks. So Long Island is a part of Queens, or half of it, anyway?
I find it odd that the first link is broken down by race, and Caucasian isn't a category!
Old 02-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love New York and was all set to put some replies here but I see others have got there first! Back when I almost moved there to do the phD I was all set to move to Brooklyn... Sadly it didn't work out.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Very interesting to read. Thanks. So Long Island is a part of Queens, or half of it, anyway?
I find it odd that the first link is broken down by race, and Caucasian isn't a category!
Long Island isn't part of Queens. Long Island is broken into two counties; Nassau County is west and Suffolk County is east. As you go east on LI, the island forks North and South. I was born in Nassau County but raised out on the Eastern North Fork in a little town called Mattituck. The South Fork is The Hamptons.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Long Island isn't part of Queens. Long Island is broken into two counties; Nassau County is west and Suffolk County is east. As you go east on LI, the island forks North and South. I was born in Nassau County but raised out on the Eastern North Fork in a little town called Mattituck. The South Fork is The Hamptons.
So it's technically not part of NYC?
Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So it's technically not part of NYC?
Well, now that I think of it, I believe Brooklyn and Queens technically ARE part of Long Island, though most people are referring to Nassau and Suffolk Counties when referring to LI.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Wow. When "Celebrities" are rude to you, they really do spit their dummies out of the pram when you refuse to stand for it. Apparently I'm condescending and profane because I told this so called Celebrity (through PM) that she had been rude for deleting a message I left within a discussion that she took a dislike to on facebook. I didn't mind the deleting, as I told her (The only reason she disliked was because it had the sh1t word in it, in reference to Justin Bieber. Fine. She doesn't enjoy bad language on her own wall. That's fair enough). What I did mind was the fact that she said nothing about it to me to say "Hey. I don't really like this on my wall. I'm going to remove it if that's okay. Thank you for understanding", rather leaving a rude comment on the wall after removing it. I told her straight that it was a rude thing to do and that there are ways and means of tackling the issue without being so hostile, but I'm now I'm on her naughty list and off of her friend's. Am I upset by this? Not particularly. I just find it funny how some so called "celebrities" use their status as a hall pass to be rude, ignorant to their own faults and downright unpleasant.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 02-20-2012 at 12:51 AM..