User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Skype is the best video conferencing application I've used. It's totally hands free talk, and the video is pretty decent streaming quality.

Regarding how the program works: You have to approve friends for them to be able to see you online, then you have to approve those people to be able to watch your cam when you're actually online. So it's not like someone can just watch your cam anytime without your knowledge.
THANKS. I figured that's how it worked, but wasn't really sure, since I've never done it before(the price I pay, for buying the cheapest computers possible...none has ever had a webcam, including my 2yo laptop).

That's what I was afraid of...that I might forget that it's turned on or something, and accidentally put on a show!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, I can't say that I haven't consider your friend's position....I'm often AMAZED, at how many people I know, who are on depression meds. Several years ago, my close high school friends got together, for a reunion dinner of sorts. After a few drinks, someone brought up depression meds.....out of about 12 of us, 9 were on depression meds. Does 75% not seem a high percentage??? My best friend from high school, just looked at each other, like "what is wrong with these people?"

And now, it seems like MOST of my friends are on them, or have been on them. I guess I just don't understand what keeps people from being happy. I mean, things in my life suck, but do you know what? The good outweighs the suck! I'm in an extremely challenging relationship, and often feel neglected, so that part of my life sucks, but hey, everything else is cruising along nicely for me, so I just get over it, and take the good parts of the relationship, when they're available.

Anyway, growing up, when I'd tell my Mom that I was feeling depressed, she's just say, "David, get the hell over it. A lot of people have things a lot worse than you do." So I think I did just learn to get over it...to take the good things, and go with those.

Please don't attack me, for saying that "I can just get over it". I'm just saying that I think we are responsible for making our own happiness. Maybe everyone can't do that. But I can.
Clinical depression and what you've just described have nothing in common. Asking a person with depression to get over it is like asking someone with heart disease to do the same.

I'm glad you have been able to stay positive in spite of negative things here and there. That's a great attitude to have.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Clinical depression and what you've just described have nothing in common. Asking a person with depression to get over it is like asking someone with heart disease to do the same.

I'm glad you have been able to stay positive in spite of negative things here and there. That's a great attitude to have.
Right, that's what I'm saying, is that I just don't understand.... Sh*t happens in life, and I just try to get over the sh*t! Is there any sort of correlation, of personality types or something?

Jannie, do you know the percentage of U.S. adults, who are on depression meds? I don't, but I get the feeling the number would be alarmingly high.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Silver Springs
This message has been deleted by Silver Springs.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I can't say that I haven't consider your friend's position....I'm often AMAZED, at how many people I know, who are on depression meds. Several years ago, my close high school friends got together, for a reunion dinner of sorts. After a few drinks, someone brought up depression meds.....out of about 12 of us, 9 were on depression meds. Does 75% not seem a high percentage??? My best friend from high school, just looked at each other, like "what is wrong with these people?"

And now, it seems like MOST of my friends are on them, or have been on them. I guess I just don't understand what keeps people from being happy. I mean, things in my life suck, but do you know what? The good outweighs the suck! I'm in an extremely challenging relationship, and often feel neglected, so that part of my life sucks, but hey, everything else is cruising along nicely for me, so I just get over it, and take the good parts of the relationship, when they're available.

Anyway, growing up, when I'd tell my Mom that I was feeling depressed, she's just say, "David, get the hell over it. A lot of people have things a lot worse than you do." So I think I did just learn to get over it...to take the good things, and go with those.

Please don't attack me, for saying that "I can just get over it". I'm just saying that I think we are responsible for making our own happiness. Maybe everyone can't do that. But I can.
I'm with you David - especially your last paragraph!

Too many people I think say they are depressed when they are simply feeling a bit down - that's when it's up to them to pull themselves out of it!

A few people know about the terrible year I've had but I haven't let it get the better of me and I've been determined not to lose my wacky sense of humour.

However, feeling low and diagnosed clinical depression are two entirely different things - these poor people are unable to just "pull themselves together" as they need proper care and medication.

But I'd like to bet too many people are on meds that really shouldn't be or don't actually need to be!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so pleased, I finally got the right kind of scrapbook for the project me and Charly are doing, and now I'm off back into town to get some really pretty things to go into it. I'm more excited to scrapbook than I am for Christmas.

~Love is my higher power. Family is my strength. Art is my passion - Kat Von D
Old 12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccamorrisfift View Post
I'm so pleased, I finally got the right kind of scrapbook for the project me and Charly are doing, and now I'm off back into town to get some really pretty things to go into it. I'm more excited to scrapbook than I am for Christmas.
So exciting. I went to town today to get more stuff and it belted down on the way home so i got drenched.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
However, feeling low and diagnosed clinical depression are two entirely different things - these poor people are unable to just "pull themselves together" as they need proper care and medication.
Some people know about my struggles with clinical depression and self harm over the years. I can't help but feel hurt by some of the comments being bandied around in this thread. I feel like I'm just faking it and that I'm expected to be able to help how low I can get. It's easy to say from a more or less positive feeling that "you can just pick yourself up and get on with it". But only when you're THAT low can you really understand how hard it is to even think about doing that. I understand that you've had a hard year. I really do. So have I. But you're a lot stronger than me. I know this. I wish I was like you. I really do. I've had to face counselling, the prospect of being put on medication (Which I flatly refused in favour of herbal remedies because I don't want to spend my life drugged up and fu**ed up) and my struggles with self harm alone because I just know that my friends and family just wouldn't understand. I'm not going to say anything else on the matter because this whole conversation is upsetting me and I'm very sorry I even brought it up.

Last edited by Silver Springs; 12-23-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Old 12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
Exactly.

Quote:
Right, that's what I'm saying, is that I just don't understand.... Sh*t happens in life, and I just try to get over the sh*t! Is there any sort of correlation, of personality types or something?

Jannie, do you know the percentage of U.S. adults, who are on depression meds? I don't, but I get the feeling the number would be alarmingly high.
It is high. Too high. People are too quick to take a pill & hope it fixes them. Your first paragraph was very telling - you all went out for a few drinks. DRINKS. Alcohol is a depressant. That certainly isn't going to help a person, whether they are truly depressed or not. But most people who consider themselves depressed don't want to stop drinking, change their diet, take vitamins, exercise, try light therapy, try counseling, try meditation, try yoga, etc. Too much work. Why bother when I can pop a pill & hope for the best. Same for Type II diabetes caused by obesity - want to eat right & be more active, or just pop a pill & continue to eat garbage & sit around?

Quote:
Too many people I think say they are depressed when they are simply feeling a bit down - that's when it's up to them to pull themselves out of it!

A few people know about the terrible year I've had but I haven't let it get the better of me and I've been determined not to lose my wacky sense of humour.

But I'd like to bet too many people are on meds that really shouldn't be or don't actually need to be!
Well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccamorrisfift View Post
I love scrapbooking. It's just too time consuming for me to do these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I wish I hadn't even opened my mouth now. Feeling about two inches tall, here.
Why? Nobody's saying your friend isn't an idiot. Just that there's a difference between clinical depression & having the blues. You're totally correct that someone who is truly depressed has a chemical imbalance that is actually preventing them from wanting to do...well, anything. Eat, bathe, work, LIVE. Meds may be absolutely necessary. But way too many people are on anti-depressants (in the U.S. anyway) who probably don't really need them.

BTW - is this your American friend who couldn't figure out why you didn't celebrate Thanksgiving? If so, why are you still talking to him/her?
Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Some people know about my struggles with clinical depression and self harm over the years. I can't help but feel hurt by some of the comments being bandied around in this thread. I feel like I'm just faking it and that I'm expected to be able to help how low I can get. It's easy to say from a more or less positive feeling that "you can just pick yourself up and get on with it". But only when you're THAT low can you really understand how hard it is to even think about doing that. I understand that you've had a hard year. I really do. So have I. But you're a lot stronger than me. I know this. I wish I was like you. I really do. I've had to face counselling, the prospect of being put on medication (Which I flatly refused in favour of herbal remedies because I don't want to spend my life drugged up and fu**ed up) and my struggles with self harm alone because I just know that my friends and family just wouldn't understand. I'm not going to say anything else on the matter because this whole conversation is upsetting me and I'm very sorry I even brought it up.
But that's what I was trying to say Bee - clinical depression is a real diagnosed condition and I know full well how hard it can be for you.

You are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for - your fantastic sense of humour and irony help you through a lot I think!! And your strong work ethic! And your compassion for others less fortunate than yourself!

I'm not stronger than you - it's just that I don't suffer from depression. So when something terrible happens I just happen to be one of the lucky ones who can pull myself up again.

Like I said, there's a huge difference between feeling "down" and struggling with real depression and anxiety - I would never be so insensitive to say to someone who is suffering "pull yourself together" and I do understand how hard it must be sometimes.

I truly hope nobody misunderstood what I said in my last post on here!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But that's what I was trying to say Bee - clinical depression is a real diagnosed condition and I know full well how hard it can be for you.

You are a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for - your fantastic sense of humour and irony help you through a lot I think!! And your strong work ethic! And your compassion for others less fortunate than yourself!

I'm not stronger than you - it's just that I don't suffer from depression. So when something terrible happens I just happen to be one of the lucky ones who can pull myself up again.

Like I said, there's a huge difference between feeling "down" and struggling with real depression and anxiety - I would never be so insensitive to say to someone who is suffering "pull yourself together" and I do understand how hard it must be sometimes.

I truly hope nobody misunderstood what I said in my last post on here!
^^^ I agree completely!

I remember the last time this subject came up, about a year ago, the sh*t hit the fan. People are so sensitive about this subject. No offense was intended by anyone, but if we can't state our opinion, it's not really a forum, is it?

Again, NO OFFENSE. We should be able to discuss it, without people getting offended, shouldn't we?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin View Post
It is high. Too high. People are too quick to take a pill & hope it fixes them. Your first paragraph was very telling - you all went out for a few drinks. DRINKS. Alcohol is a depressant. That certainly isn't going to help a person, whether they are truly depressed or not. But most people who consider themselves depressed don't want to stop drinking, change their diet, take vitamins, exercise, try light therapy, try counseling, try meditation, try yoga, etc. Too much work. Why bother when I can pop a pill & hope for the best. Same for Type II diabetes caused by obesity - want to eat right & be more active, or just pop a pill & continue to eat garbage & sit around?
Yes, people always want the easy way out. I hate pills, and hate taking pills. Always have. I'd make a terrible drug addict! Because I hate needles even more!

And in my opinion, food is the most addictive thing there is. I spent 20 years of my life, addicted to food. And CRAPPY food at that. I literally count getting off the crappy food addiction train, as the best thing I've ever done in my life. Better than money, big house, all of it. Getting healthy, and eating healthy. Feeling healthy = priceless!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, people always want the easy way out. I hate pills, and hate taking pills. Always have. I'd make a terrible drug addict! Because I hate needles even more!

And in my opinion, food is the most addictive thing there is. I spent 20 years of my life, addicted to food. And CRAPPY food at that. I literally count getting off the crappy food addiction train, as the best thing I've ever done in my life. Better than money, big house, all of it. Getting healthy, and eating healthy. Feeling healthy = priceless!
Absolutely!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely!
But McDonalds is so tasty, and cheap, and easy! I'm sure you probably don't have Rally's(or Checkers = same thing) over there. But that was my real weakness. I'm a Rally's WHORE! So good and greasy!!!!!

And I've not had it since August, 2009. RIP, fat, grease eating Homie.

I really don't miss it, anymore. Well, I DO miss that TASTE, but not the side effects!
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But McDonalds is so tasty, and cheap, and easy! I'm sure you probably don't have Rally's(or Checkers = same thing) over there. But that was my real weakness. I'm a Rally's WHORE! So good and greasy!!!!!

And I've not had it since August, 2009. RIP, fat, grease eating Homie.

I really don't miss it, anymore. Well, I DO miss that TASTE, but not the side effects!
You've done so well!

I hope I can achieve my goal by the end of 2012 - slowly but surely, the best way to keep it off!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You've done so well!

I hope I can achieve my goal by the end of 2012 - slowly but surely, the best way to keep it off!
Thanks. I'm just a Nazi, with rules for myself. I just made my mind up, that I no longer eat crap. The best side effect was my high cholesterol (266) dropped 93 points. From nothing, other than the weight loss. Blood pressure dropped too! My doctor said, "everything I've been seeing you for, and threatening medications for, are fixed! Your numbers are great, now. I don't approve of the way you lost it, but you fixed the problems!"

But keep up the good work!

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 12-23-2011 at 02:06 PM..