Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=holidayroad;1117721]

is he playing backwards???? or is the picture backwards????
Old 01-20-2014, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
All that's known is that he had a seizure while on tour in 1978 and was subsequently diagnosed with a "mild" form of epilepsy via lumbar puncture. I've considered that it may have been caused by emotional stress instead of actual epilepsy.. as they're finding out as many as 1/3rd of first seizures are.. and the timeline fits as far as when he started to really lose it emotionally. Of course, we have no way of knowing if it was actually a singular event or not.
also, substances like cocaine can cause onset of epilepsy.

or are you implying LB's epilepsy was misdiagnosed? http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/no...s#.Ut1w4Z4o5nQ

i recall him saying in some interview that he responded well to anti-epilepsy medication and didn't have problems after he started talking it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
also, substances like cocaine can cause onset of epilepsy.

or are you implying LB's epilepsy was misdiagnosed? http://www.epilepsysociety.org.uk/no...s#.Ut1w4Z4o5nQ

i recall him saying in some interview that he responded well to anti-epilepsy medication and didn't have problems after he started talking it.
It's pure speculation based only on what is publicly known.. I am not his doctor and do not have access to his medical file. Having said that, I do think it's a possibility- not necessarily a probability.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I am not his doctor and do not have access to his medical file.
you are not?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-20-2014, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you are not?
Nope. I just speculate on things- like everyone else on this board who doesn't have intimate knowledge.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Nope. I just speculate on things-
yeah that's why i asked you a follow-up question, to see whether you may have read something additional about the disease that may add to your speculation, whether you have some links. from your replies i'm guessing you did not?

personally, i like to learn more about various diseases and their manifestations, regardless of who may or may not have it.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yeah that's why i asked you a follow-up question, to see whether you may have read something additional about the disease that may add to your speculation, whether you have some links. from your replies i'm guessing you did not?

personally, i like to learn more about various diseases and their manifestations, regardless of who may or may not have it.
Oh, yes. I know very little about epilepsy, but the thought that his seizure could have had a psychological cause did not come out of nowhere. My brother happens to have been diagnosed. I will see if I can assemble some links for you- when I have the time.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well, it turns out a cursory search only took two minutes. So here's a source for you:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwa...sion-disorder/
Old 01-20-2014, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh, yes. I know very little about epilepsy, but the thought that his seizure could have had a psychological cause did not come out of nowhere. My brother happens to have been diagnosed. I will see if I can assemble some links for you- when I have the time.
thanks, that would be great!

sorry, your brother was diagnosed with non-epileptic seizure, or with epilepsy?

i did google a bit after your post and found the part about people with non-epileptic seizures that are stress-based interesting. apparently when they did some studies (i didn't look into how good those studies were) the level of real stress these people had was similar to the people who didn't have seizures or had epilepsy, but their perceived level of stress was much higher. one of the observations was also that their way of dealing with that stress was not coping, but denial. sounds like LB when he describes rumours-era FM work, and thinks what they did was *heroic*.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, it turns out a cursory search only took two minutes. So here's a source for you:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwa...sion-disorder/
lol yeah that's the first link that comes up when you put it in the google, and the one i'm describing below:

Quote:
i did google a bit after your post and found the part about people with non-epileptic seizures that are stress-based interesting. apparently when they did some studies (i didn't look into how good those studies were) the level of real stress these people had was similar to the people who didn't have seizures or had epilepsy, but their perceived level of stress was much higher. one of the observations was also that their way of dealing with that stress was not coping, but denial.
i didn't actually look into study itself, sometimes reporters draw completely different conclusions than the actual study too, so who knows.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
lol yeah that's the first link that comes up when you put it in the google, and the one i'm describing below:

i didn't actually look into study itself, sometimes reporters draw completely different conclusions than the actual study too, so who knows.
Yeah, I generally don't have time to write a detailed thesis on every subject I speculate about either.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These days the gluten-free advocates are saying that removing that from your diet can reduce and eliminate epileptic symptoms.

Michele
Old 01-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
These days the gluten-free advocates are saying that removing that from your diet can reduce and eliminate epileptic symptoms.

Michele
didn't Neil Young refuse meds and decided to go some diet-way of treating his disease too? of course there is a spectrum, and so much of untreatable disease, unfortunately.

yeah, there is so much more known, and so many more different ways to dx these days than back in late 70s. so definitely interesting to speculate. and who knows, maybe there is someone on these boards who actually knows more about epilepsy or neurological diseases in general who can add some more to this discussion.

Last edited by elle; 01-20-2014 at 04:19 PM..
Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Me too! But I also am really interested in medicine and what people are taking . I'd love to know what anti-seizure meds he took/is possibly still taking. It's interesting to me how everybody's system is tweaked a bit differently, what with our individual malfunctions . Of course absolutely none of that info is any of my business.

ETA- I do NOT look in people's bathroom cabinets, but I realize that's how I came across!
Just a dream, just a dream.

Last edited by HelloMonster; 01-21-2014 at 12:11 AM..
Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
Me too! But I also am really interested in medicine and what people are taking . I'd love to know what anti-seizure meds he took/is possibly still taking. It's interesting to me how everybody's system is tweaked a bit differently, what with our individual malfunctions . Of course absolutely none of that info is any of my business.
lol about bathroom cabinets.

in some old interview he said he was put on dilantin and that took care of seizures and whatever symptoms he was having.