The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the advice! I might have some more detailed questions later on.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If you think it's butter but it's not, what is it?
Old 03-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my dilemma: I need a new stackable washer and dryer. Preferably looking at high efficiency washers. The new ones will replace the old ones. They can be no more than 33.5 in height and 23.5 in width because of the location of the units and their connectors. There are only three brands available to me and they are Bosch, Whirlpool and Maytag. I looked on two different sites for reviews, Lowe's and Sears and all three have mostly negative reviews of each of these products. What would you suggest I do? What would you do?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Here's my dilemma: I need a new stackable washer and dryer. Preferably looking at high efficiency washers. The new ones will replace the old ones. They can be no more than 33.5 in height and 23.5 in width because of the location of the units and their connectors. There are only three brands available to me and they are Bosch, Whirlpool and Maytag. I looked on two different sites for reviews, Lowe's and Sears and all three have mostly negative reviews of each of these products. What would you suggest I do? What would you do?
Oh, the dilemma of having to buy non-standard size appliances! I can empathize. Without model numbers, prices, specs and pictures, I think it would be impossible for me to make an informed decision about which option to choose. However, that being said, I have to admit that I have a bias for Maytag. I have a few Jenn Air kitchen appliances (made by Maytag), and I have found them to be of utmost reliability and performance.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
Without model numbers, prices, specs and pictures, I think it would be impossible for me to make an informed decision about which option to choose.
Bosch 24" compact washer Model # WAS20160UC(or is it ending with OUC?)
Bosch 24" compact vented dryer Model # WTV76100US (or OOUS?)

Maytag 2.0 cubic ft. compact front load washer Model # MHWC7500YW
Maytag 3.8 cu. ft. compact electric dryer Model # MED 7500YW

Whirlpool 2.0 cu. ft. compact front load washer Model # WFC7500VW
Whirlpool compact electric dryer with 11 cycles Model # WED7500VW
Old 03-31-2013, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is PC Richards any good Ed. I've been in the store but never made a purchase there yet.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Bosch 24" compact washer Model # WAS20160UC(or is it ending with OUC?)
Bosch 24" compact vented dryer Model # WTV76100US (or OOUS?)

Maytag 2.0 cubic ft. compact front load washer Model # MHWC7500YW
Maytag 3.8 cu. ft. compact electric dryer Model # MED 7500YW

Whirlpool 2.0 cu. ft. compact front load washer Model # WFC7500VW
Whirlpool compact electric dryer with 11 cycles Model # WED7500VW
Well, first off, I would rule out the Bosch models altogether. It costs 50% and the price premium does not appear to be justified by features or expectations of reliability.

Secondly, the Maytag and Whirlpool models are IDENTICAL in every way except for the nameplate. As such, you can either toss a coin and choose, or you can shop around for the best price on either of these models. Ideally, you would end up with a W/D pair from the same manufacturer, but I think a mix-match situation is fine too.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Is PC Richards any good Ed. I've been in the store but never made a purchase there yet.
As you know, PC Richard is a consumer electronics and appliances retailer with locations throughout the NY NJ CT tri-state area. The product selection is not unlike the other big national chain; i.e., Best Buy; however, one is likely to find a number of more upscale product lines at PC Richard, i.e., Viking, Fisher & Paykel, Electrolux, etc. In general, both chains tend to price things at full retail.

The big difference between PC Richard and Best Buy is that the sales staff at PCR tends to be more knowledgeable and more attentive overall. Unfortunately, this also means they are more inclined to be pushy. The other difference, and it is more than a slight annoyance, is the fact that PCR sells many smaller items behind the counter only, which prevents one from inspecting multiple items before making a decision. They also tend not to put price tags on anything, which can make even the most simple transactions tediously complicated.

In conclusion, if you need to buy simple/small/inexpensive things, go to Best Buy. If you are looking for an appliance or a piece of electronic equipment, go to PC Richard.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
As you know, PC Richard is a consumer electronics and appliances retailer with locations throughout the NY NJ CT tri-state area. The product selection is not unlike the other big national chain; i.e., Best Buy; however, one is likely to find a number of more upscale product lines at PC Richard, i.e., Viking, Fisher & Paykel, Electrolux, etc. In general, both chains tend to price things at full retail.

The big difference between PC Richard and Best Buy is that the sales staff at PCR tends to be more knowledgeable and more attentive overall. Unfortunately, this also means they are more inclined to be pushy. The other difference, and it is more than a slight annoyance, is the fact that PCR sells many smaller items behind the counter only, which prevents one from inspecting multiple items before making a decision. They also tend not to put price tags on anything, which can make even the most simple transactions tediously complicated.

In conclusion, if you need to buy simple/small/inexpensive things, go to Best Buy. If you are looking for an appliance or a piece of electronic equipment, go to PC Richard.
Thanks for the tip Ed.Yes I did notice that PCR have no price tag on their stock plus the small devices are behind the counter.

I like the hands on the product when I'm looking to buy something.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-08-2013, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Since I know you're a bit of a health guru, what are your thoughts on a carb limiting diet? Living in Austin, I have a very active lifestyle... I hike/jog and/or swim more days a week than not. I don't think I eat horribly... I don't really eat any fast food, or drink many sugary beverages. Yet I have been mildly doughy my entire life. I'm thinking my addiction to carbs is the root cause. I absolutely live for pasta, rice, bread, etc. I almost always exclude non-starch veggies as side items & go for high-carb options instead. So what should I do? Should I cut out carbs altogether? Or should I just try and reduce them? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Since I know you're a bit of a health guru, what are your thoughts on a carb limiting diet? Living in Austin, I have a very active lifestyle... I hike/jog and/or swim more days a week than not. I don't think I eat horribly... I don't really eat any fast food, or drink many sugary beverages. Yet I have been mildly doughy my entire life. I'm thinking my addiction to carbs is the root cause. I absolutely live for pasta, rice, bread, etc. I almost always exclude non-starch veggies as side items & go for high-carb options instead. So what should I do? Should I cut out carbs altogether? Or should I just try and reduce them? Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Carbs, carbs, carbs... one of the great enigmas of modern life. Unfortunately, this is a very individual thing. There are those who can enjoy mashed potatoes with their fettucine alfredo and still maintain washboard abs. Then there are those who will spill out of their skinny jeans just from eating a bagel. A large part of this is presumably due to the body's insulin tolerance. But there are myriad other intrinsic factors- genetics, thyroid, adrenal cortex, resting metabolic rate, etc. that are, short of medical intervention, beyond the control of the individual. The key to successfully achieving a physical goal is experimentation and learning what works for you.

Indeed, if you are like the majority of people, a drastic reduction in ones intake of simple carbs will effect some degree of weight loss, and perhaps even a reduction in body fat. However, whenever one embarks on any kind of drastic dietary/lifestyle alteration, one must ask the questions: Is this sustainable? Are there potential adverse long-term consequences? How do I feel? Is this compatible with my lifestyle? I am personally not a fan of any kind of "temporary" dietary intervention, i.e., low-carb diet, liquid diet, fasting, etc. If it is not sustainable or healthy for the long haul, it's probably not good for the short term either. If you are really committed to changing something about your health, your physique, or your wellbeing, then you should make only the changes that you are willing to adopt permanently, whether it's an exercise regimen, a diet regimen, a sleeping regimen, etc. Once you have actively committed to making permanent lifestyle changes (hopefully for the better!), your body/mind will find its own level. If, say, after a month, nothing positive is happening, it's time to re-evaluate and recalibrate. Experiment, experiment, experiment!