User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti
Carbs in and of themselves are not "evil". There are, however, bad carbs and good carbs. Bad carbs are white sugar, white flour, white rice, white pasta and basically anything processed. Fruits are not necessarily bad for you as they contain many nutrients and antioxidants, as well as fiber. Fruit juices are not good for you overall. They contain too much sugar and the fiber is processed out of it. Fructose (the sugars found in fruit) processes through your body more slowly than sucrose (white sugar), so it doesn't cause the blood sugar spikes that sucrose does.

I heard on the news last night that someone (I didn't hear who) just completed a nine year study of low fat vs. low carb diets. Low carb diets caused the most early weight loss, but after nine years almost all the people doing low carb had regained the weight, where far fewer low fat people regained the weight.

And one other thing....Curtis, you are probably not eating enough to build enough muscle mass effectively. You need more calories than you are currently getting. Just make them "good" calories. If you don't enough your body will think it's starving and start breaking down muscle to get nutrients.

Former personal trainer here, if you're wondering...or even if you're not!

Yep - my problem is the love for the bad carbs...

BUT I refuse to take part in any diet that requires me to cut out any of the food groups - I try to portion and get the recomended servings of the groups - but hey whatever floats people's boats....

For now I'm trying very hard (okay not that hard) to cut the bad carbs...but pretty much I think it's a lost cause seeing that the holiday's are upon us - so I'll just kick it into high gear after Christmas

The good thing is since I work out I'm not really gaining any weight - just not losing - I'd rather maintain than gain -so I'm not too freaked out about my less than stellar eating habits...

*goes off to warm a pasta dish )
Old 11-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDeanna
I will NEVEr go on a no carb diet...probably not even low carb - but I absolutely need to cut back....
There's no such thing as a no carb diet. You HAVE to have carbs. Atkins and South Beach do not advocate cutting out an entire food group. You limit your carbs in the first couple weeks, then you slowly reintroduce the healthy carbs back into your diet. But I don't believe there's any diet that says you should cut out all carbs -- that's massively unhealthy.

Old 11-17-2004, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
There's no such thing as a no carb diet. You HAVE to have carbs. Atkins and South Beach do not advocate cutting out an entire food group. You limit your carbs in the first couple weeks, then you slowly reintroduce the healthy carbs back into your diet. But I don't believe there's any diet that says you should cut out all carbs -- that's massively unhealthy.
Ah - yeah I knew the first phases of the diets included a no carb part - even with a re-introduction...wouldn't do it - I love food too much - and I'm not obese or anything so really I just try and eat what I like....which thankfully isn't ALL bad- but yeah - no low carb diets for me...no way...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjupiter678
AND - the South Beach Diet is the best one and you can eat much more carbs than on Atkins. You can eat bread, rice, potato, etc. You just can't eat it all at once.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The new Weight Watchers Core plan is pretty good, too. You can basically eat as much as you want of things that are on their core list- which basically includes fat free dairy, fruits, vegetables, lean meats, seafood, etc. You can have whole wheat pasta or potatoes or brown rice, etc. once a day for free, then anything outside of that one serving you have to count points for. You have 35 points a week for non-core foods. I like it, it cuts out all processed foods, snack foods, sugar. If you're going to have any of those types of foods, you have to count points for them and it's such a reminder about how none of those foods are worth it.

blahblahdietcakes
Old 11-17-2004, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention
AND - the South Beach Diet is the best one and you can eat much more carbs than on Atkins. You can eat bread, rice, potato, etc. You just can't eat it all at once.
I have to get the South Beach book. I lost over 30 pounds on Atkins, but I really got bored with the food choices so I started slacking off. South Beach sounds great, though.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Good Morning America did a spot this morning on sleep deprivation and how it increases your risk for obesity. It has something to do with the body creating extra hormones when you don't get enough sleep, hormones that increase your appetite. One more reason for me not to feel guilty about my 8 or 9 + a night
Old 11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs down I don't do diets...LOL

Sorry, but I just don't. I'll do what works for me, which is exercise.

I'm addicted to Lemon-Lime Gatorade...don't know if that's any better than soda or whatever...but I drink it every single day. If I run out, I panic.

I just bought some Total cereal...which I'll try to start eating. Baby steps. Heh.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
I'm addicted to Lemon-Lime Gatorade...don't know if that's any better than soda or whatever...but I drink it every single day. If I run out, I panic.
You're going to get gallstones eventually! Gatorade is worse than soda, it's pure sugar and nothing else and the carbs don't mesh well. I once saw a newmagazine show (maybe 20/20?) that showed how they made Gatorade and all kinds of other drinks. They literally melt the sugar down for it. Very icky.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
I'm gonna do it. But i don't really like rice, bread, and potatoes are ok if french fried. any chip/cracker/tortilla sub probably not...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
You're going to get gallstones eventually! Gatorade is worse than soda, it's pure sugar and nothing else and the carbs don't mesh well. I once saw a newmagazine show (maybe 20/20?) that showed how they made Gatorade and all kinds of other drinks. They literally melt the sugar down for it. Very icky.
If it's pure sugar, why does the nutritional information say it has less carb/sugar then soda? And why fewer calories? I like gatorade, too, especially when i had too much to drink the night before, but i won't die without it.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-17-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I'm gonna do it. But i don't really like rice, bread, and potatoes are ok if french fried. any chip/cracker/tortilla sub probably not...
Get the book it's good reading. You can eat natural tortilla chips, but no Doritos.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If it's pure sugar, why does the nutritional information say it has less carb/sugar then soda? And why fewer calories? I like gatorade, too, especially when i had too much to drink the night before, but i won't die without it.
Beats me. Why do you think athletes drink it? Because it's got lots of carbs. Bad sugar (white sugar) = carbs. Your body doesn't break down bad sugars very well, it just stores it. Then it turns into fat.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Beats me. Why do you think athletes drink it? Because it's got lots of carbs. Bad sugar (white sugar) = carbs. Your body doesn't break down bad sugars very well, it just stores it. Then it turns into fat.
I know that, but it has potassium and electrolytes, which are depleted during exercise. I was kind of asking in the compare to soda way. I, personally, try to limit drinks that aren't water. People consume a lot of extra sugar calories without absorbing hardly any nutrients from juice, for instance.

Old 11-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know that, but it has potassium and electrolytes, which are depleted during exercise. I was kind of asking in the compare to soda way. I, personally, try to limit drinks that aren't water. People consume a lot of extra sugar calories without absorbing hardly any nutrients from juice, for instance.
Yeah, but just think of what people who aren't exercising are drinking when they drink Gatorade. Who cares if it has electrolytes and potassium, especially if it's loaded with sugar and carbs. Take a vitamin!

All I drink is water. I piss eight times a day.