19 million copies, is almost as famous for its creators' feuding as
its hits. "All of those problems, all of those drugs and all of the
fun and all of the craziness, made for writing all those songs,"
STEVIE NICKS said. "If we'd been a big healthy group of guys and
gals, none of those great songs would've been written."

Woo!
Erin
Old 01-23-2004, 11:45 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't collect demos like crazy around here? I have maybe a handful. I don't have the patience to listen to them. But I keep hearing about this The Dealer. Is it available on a site somewhere?
Old 01-23-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David
Lindsey's been mixing a live album of the Chicago show with Mark Needham at a place in Malibu. He's scheduled to continue mixing tomorrow (Friday) night.

You never know whether a project will get canned -- particularly if it's Lindsey's -- but at this point we can probably expect a live album from that Soundstage gig.
Lindsey should do this right. There is a market for off-beat releases now. Witness Ryan Adams' recent releases, only one year after he put out full album of mostly demos.

Lindsey should do the Chicago thing as a two-CD package with the unreleased Gift of Screws material.

Lindsey, are you reading this?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
Am I the only one who doesn't collect demos like crazy around here? I have maybe a handful. I don't have the patience to listen to them. But I keep hearing about this The Dealer. Is it available on a site somewhere?
I don't know if anyone has it posted but I would be happy to send it to you. The Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers versions from the Bella Donna sessions are the best, IMO.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieSPC
Don't mean to snipe at you guys, but we should probably make the point that the best part of this whole thing is that all these "tracks that have been around forever and are no big deal or no surprise" etc. etc. etc. will now finally be legally available.

That seems pretty cool to me.

~Jamie
Not to me. It's as if "our little secret" is now becoming public.

No, I think it's great. But depending on what the stuff is, I won't necessarily buy it.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
What's exciting is that now EVERY fan, not just a lucky few, will have access to these great-sounding demos.

Most fans are incredibly generous, which is why I believe all of this stuff has come out at such an alarming rate these past six months.

Old 01-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
It's as if "our little secret" is now becoming public
Yeah, I realize I sounded self-righteous. Geez, I've never passed up a download.

I'm excited about the QUALITY issue. I want to hear these things sound as good as some of the other reissue and "official bootleg" stuff I've heard out of Rhino.

It can still be "our little secret" ... let's face it, when it comes to some of those demos, only true fans will listen through them more than once, if at all.

~Jamie
Old 01-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by JamieSPC
It can still be "our little secret" ... let's face it, when it comes to some of those demos, only true fans will listen through them more than once, if at all.

~Jamie
Ain't that the truth. Case in point: the piano demo of Gypsy.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, it looks like more bonus stuff is going to be available than I thought. I am really excited...come on March....
Old 01-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think I'll begin a "Countdown" to March 23
Old 01-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention

Most fans are incredibly generous, which is why I believe all of this stuff has come out at such an alarming rate these past six months.

It's like with the Grateful Dead & the Allman Bros Band. So many recordings are freely shared, that they just have to finally give in and give 'em an official "stamp of approval"
Old 01-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Carne....

IMO, The Dealer is one of Stevie's greatest unreleased songs. I think it should have been on Belladonna in place of Think About It. It's got this "riverboat gambler" feel to it and it's my fave demo of hers.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Carne....

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
IMO, The Dealer is one of Stevie's greatest unreleased songs. I think it should have been on Belladonna in place of Think About It. It's got this "riverboat gambler" feel to it and it's my fave demo of hers.
I always found it a bit cheesy, but like gldstwmn said, the ones she worked on with the Heartbreakers were fantastic. I think Julia should've made it onto Bella Donna, not Think About it! Some of those master reel versions of Julia are blistering. I get goosbumps listening to some of 'em.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Carne....

Quote:
Originally posted by dissention
I think Julia should've made it onto Bella Donna, not Think About it! Some of those master reel versions of Julia are blistering. I get goosbumps listening to some of 'em.
"Julia" from those sessions is absolutely amazing... and the song in general is right up there with my all-time favorite Stevie tunes.

"When I run thru your door, I am free from my slavery...."
Love it.

I've often heard that "Julia" was denied space on both 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart' because Jimmy Iovine hated the song, and blocked its inclusion. Apparently he refused to even be involved in the production on either version.
Talk about poor judgement!

I know Stevie's been blamed sometimes for not always picking the strongest tracks for her subsequent albums, but I bet it was a nice feeling for her to (mostly) be able to include songs she wanted to include.
Of course, someone should have told her that the world could have done without "Docklands"....!
Old 01-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: Re: Carne....

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Stew
"Julia" from those sessions is absolutely amazing... and the song in general is right up there with my all-time favorite Stevie tunes.

"When I run thru your door, I am free from my slavery...."
Love it.

I've often heard that "Julia" was denied space on both 'Bella Donna' and 'The Wild Heart' because Jimmy Iovine hated the song, and blocked its inclusion. Apparently he refused to even be involved in the production on either version.
Talk about poor judgement!

I know Stevie's been blamed sometimes for not always picking the strongest tracks for her subsequent albums, but I bet it was a nice feeling for her to (mostly) be able to include songs she wanted to include.
Of course, someone should have told her that the world could have done without "Docklands"....!
And the rest of that album!

Seriously, Julia is an amazing song. If Iovine poo-pooed it, he got pretty lousy taste and I'd love to see what other songs she borught to the table that were shooed away. Her vocals on that song (every take!) are breathtaking. Everything is perfect. And if Iovine had nothing to do with its production, whoever did deserves lots of praise.

However, I would've loved to see his reaction to her offering up "Dial The Number" or "Don't Treat Me Like A Stranger." I suspect he would've quit.