User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-10-2018, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
But he did forge such a relationship ... with Christine McVie. Why isn't she leaving the band so she can work with him some more? That is my real question. I've never been much of a Stevie fan, and I am completely uninterested in the contributions of the new members, so all that's left for me in FM is Christine, and I would MUCH rather see her doing more duo recordings with Lindsey.

After the wonderful time they had touring last year, and the excellence of the album they recorded, you'd think her artistic integrity would compel her to stick with Lindsey. So, either she has no artistic integrity or she has unbreakable contractual obligations to FM.

It's a shame, really; the real creativity is leaving the band with Lindsey.
I think she has a greater loyalty to Mick, and to Mick and John.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I guess that's it. Plus she promised LB she'd never leave the band again when she came back....
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think these Lindsey quotes from a 2012 Rolling Stone article regarding a possible Buckingham Nicks tour in the midst of a Fleetwood Mac tour are very telling about his feelings about doing two tours at a time...

It could be the specifics of the tour being proposed at the time but he seems very opposed to this type of idea logistically. He even mentions that it would dilute the "message". So I don't think he would have proposed anything like this for the Fleetwood Mac tour. All I can think of is that he issued an ultimatum that the band tour be delayed for his entire solo tour/album promotion or he's out, and at that point there was nothing the band could do to stop him. Even Christine might be on board if she thought he was being irrational and they had all previously agreed on the 2018 tour.

Quote:
Oh, the old band with Waddy Watchtel. Wow. Well, listen, I would love to do a tour with Stevie. I think that would be very appropriate. She was talking about doing it in between legs of a Fleetwood Mac tour, which is not going to happen. It's logistically impossible. It's economically suicidal because you can't do enough touring it make it worthwhile.

[...]

I would have two scenarios. One would be to wait and put it out close to the end of the Fleetwood Mac tour. When the tour is done and go rehearse a proper show and do it. Another thing would be to go ahead and put out Buckingham Nicks as a sort of secondarily level of awareness around a Fleetwood Mac tour. It's a little off message, but that's fine. When the tour is done we can go into the studio and cut a new Buckingham Nicks album. That would be the most credible thing you can do. Then you'd have to enough material to do a whole show.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...d-mac-20121205

Last edited by lilyfee; 04-10-2018 at 09:26 PM..
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4136 View Post
Lindsey: “You’re here because I said so”

Stevie: “You’re gone because I said so”
i think that's exactly right - this might be what's behind this firing. finally, she wins. as that TP insider guy said - all the lingering LB-SN issues came to a head. indeed. she finally had the power.

and as some suggested, maybe he knew what they were potting at Musicares already and that's why he was even more sour than usual on that red carpet. maybe that's why he was trotting his gorgeous family there too.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-10-2018, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyfee View Post
I think these Lindsey quotes from a 2012 Rolling Stone article regarding a possible Buckingham Nicks tour in the midst of a Fleetwood Mac tour are very telling about his feelings about doing two tours at a time...

It could be the specifics of the tour being proposed at the time but he seems very opposed to this type of idea logistically. He even mentions that it would dilute the "message". So I don't think he would have proposed anything like this for the Fleetwood Mac tour. All I can think of is that he issued an ultimatum that the band tour be delayed for his entire solo tour/album promotion or he's out, and at that point there was nothing the band could do to stop him.
that was not the case according to the rumors we heard. but who knows?

LB solo is very different from BN. because it's Nicks who needs days off in between tour nights. that's what Chrissie Hynde said too, that she'd get bored and insert headlining Pretenders dates in between to fill those days. LB solo does 4-5 nights in a row 1 off, than 4-5 again. FM usually does 2 in a row, rarely 3.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Yes, but by association she was being loyal to Stevie.... and therefore disloyal to Lindsey.

That's why it's called The Chain.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As the band convened to discuss plans for the forthcoming tour, musical differences started to emerge...

What? Silver Girl?
Get the f**k outta here.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-11-2018, 08:08 AM
Registered

I haven't followed the career of Crowded House or Neil Finn closely, but all I know is that he has a very large following in NZ and Australia. He is not a nobody or a hired hand who can be shunted aside. If "musical differences" emerge during rehearsals, for instance the icon wanting to dance for 20 minutes to every song and not just GDW, what is going to happen if Neil says no? Mike she can wrap around her finger as she has done since Bella Donna, but Neil? Will he endure her pretensions for the money?
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I haven't followed the career of Crowded House or Neil Finn closely, but all I know is that he has a very large following in NZ and Australia. He is not a nobody or a hired hand who can be shunted aside. If "musical differences" emerge during rehearsals, for instance the icon wanting to dance for 20 minutes to every song and not just GDW, what is going to happen if Neil says no? Mike she can wrap around her finger as she has done since Bella Donna, but Neil? Will he endure her pretensions for the money?
I imagine it would be bye bye Neil. I don’t believe Stevie threw any weight around to kick Lindsey out, but if they are willing to continue on without Lindsey, I doubt they would have any problem replacing his replacements.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:47 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

Quote:
I'm sure Neil and Mike are being treated fairly from a financial standpoint, but I'm also sure they're working as hired sidemen and not official/permanent/contractual members.

With that in mind, I don't think money is the motivator here for either of them. They're both pretty successful guys. Mike has done well on Petty tours, but he's also cowritten a lot of songs with Petty and others like Don Henley, so he's getting publishing money, too. Neil has had a lot of success in his career. He could probably live very comfortably just on his publishing from Split Enz and Crowded House.

It appears most people here aren't huge Finn fans, but Neil has had a lot of success around the world. After CH's fame faded a bit in the US, they were HUGE in the UK in the early '90s. At one point, they were voted the top live act in the UK, which was no small feat with bands like U2 active at the time.

At first, I was confused about why Neil would accept Mick's offer. Why would he want to be thrust into the drama? But after I thought about it, I realized that most of Neil's work over the last 15 years has involved new collaborations and experiences. Last year, he released a somber but beautiful solo record that featured a string section and choir as well as a collaboration with an arranger. Prior to that, his efforts included a side project called Pajama Club (with his wife on bass), two 7 Worlds Collide releases (including members of Radiohead, Pearl Jam, Wilco, The Smiths, KT Tunstall, and many more), a tour and live record with famed Australian singer-songwriter (and friend) Paul Kelly, a few reunion shows with Crowded House to celebrate their 30th anniversary, and more. His newest (still unreleased) record is a duet record with his song, Liam.

So, when Neil said, "So many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever," I think he was being honest. And, if you think about it, it's really quite an opportunity.

Has Mike Campbell made any statements? He's not quite as vocal, but he seems to thrive on the road, so I'm not surprised he's on board. It's a chance to head back out on tour with folks he (mostly) knows.

matt
Old 04-11-2018, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My stance on Campbell here is mixed.

1st I'm a big TP fan, so to see Campbell have an opportunity for some distractions on quick entrance back to the road is probably very good for him emotionally. On that end I can see why he was keen to join.

But secondly, he knows how the loss of Tom hurt so many fans he has to be aware he's a party to similar pain to many...many Fleetwood Mac fans.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post

I'm sure Neil and Mike are being treated fairly from a financial standpoint, but I'm also sure they're working as hired sidemen and not official/permanent/contractual members.

With that in mind, I don't think money is the motivator here for either of them. They're both pretty successful guys. Mike has done well on Petty tours, but he's also cowritten a lot of songs with Petty and others like Don Henley, so he's getting publishing money, too. Neil has had a lot of success in his career. He could probably live very comfortably just on his publishing from Split Enz and Crowded House.

Yes, Neil will endure her pretensions for the money. Make no mistake, this is all about the $$$$$.

Neil Finn is a clever, prolific creator of music. But this is an eneavour that's unlikely to yield new music in any significant capacity. I just cant see Neil being in this for artistic reasons. What is artistically rewarding about standing on a stage night after night singing other peoples' songs when you written and recorded dozens of your own critically acclaimed albums?
As successful as he's been, if he gets a fair share of the cut, a major Fleetwood Mac tour will yield more than he's probably earned for the past 10 years combined.

So yeah, he'll bow to Stevie.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31 PM
Registered

Oh to be Neil Finn's financial adviser at this time... Stevie said in one of her commentaries to her videos I think that Rick Vito is a smart man who did very well out of his FMac stint, and I hope Finn and Campbell do to. There is certainly no artistic compensation for this. I guess a gig's a gig, even for the great.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:34 PM
Registered

I suddenly had a vision of Stevie telling audiences that Silver Girl is really about Christine Sheryl Crow is now passe, no need to refer to her.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I suddenly had a vision of Stevie telling audiences that Silver Girl is really about Christine Sheryl Crow is now passe, no need to refer to her.
Made me think of Mick's recent tweet/instagram:
One is silver, One is gold, lol